The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/5/2024 3:06:14 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Daniel Day-Lewis: His Best Role!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: real last of the mohicans story Topic Next Topic: LOTM Cels for sale on Ebay
Page: of 2

Ongewasgone
Pioneer

Gothic Guy 2
Italy

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 17 2002

Posted - January 11 2003 :  04:32:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ongewasgone's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I watched only The Last of the Mohicans, The Boxer and My Left Foot. I'm gonna watch Gangs of New York as soon as it will be released here in Italy. Anyway, I think that D-DL was perfect in My Left Foot
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Roxy
Pathfinder

Vampire
USA

December 08 2002

Posted - January 22 2003 :  10:11:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
i saw Gangs of New York with my mom the other day and we both liked it (i honestly have to say my fave part was the music)and i have to say that DDL gave an awsome performance. he's a very good bad guy, so to speak. but i have to admit that as soon as i got home from watching GONY i put in Last of the Mohichans. i know i sound all girly and stuff, but i honestly perfer DDL in LOTM when hes playing a romantic hero to when hes playing a guy who murders people with his butcher knives and sleeps with three women at once in GONY. idk, i guess its a female thing :). but if you dont faint at the sight of blood, GONY is a great movie and i highly recommend it.~Roxy~

Lurking Huron0943
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - May 26 2003 :  08:00:05 AM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I vote for Gangs of New York, followed by In the Name of the Father. Personally, I think DDL should have won the Oscar for GONY.

ConfusedOne
Pathfinder

Uncas2
USA

May 18 2003

Posted - June 04 2003 :  02:24:43 AM  Show Profile  Send ConfusedOne an AOL message  Send ConfusedOne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've only seem The Last of the Mohicans...so there's my answer.

Cherokee Nation. Cherokee Tribe.
So proud to live. So proud to die.

Smoke286
Lost in the Wilderness

Longhunter in Snow

June 27 2003

Posted - June 27 2003 :  6:08:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Smoke286's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sorry folks, but DDL was mesmerizing in Gangs of New York, definatly his best work . I'd put The Boxer second and LOTM third. Wouldn't he have made a great Strider in LOTR, much better then Viggo Mortensen! Who the hell is he?

Aint No Rocket Scientists In The Firehall

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - June 27 2003 :  6:21:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Speaking of...just saw the advertisement on tv for GONY available Tuesday...of course you can order it right here...right Rich? Daniel's performance in it was mind boggling. He would have made a very intriguing Strider but Viggo did a good job with it, right Christina?

Theresa

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 27 2003 :  9:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ongewasgone

I watched only The Last of the Mohicans, The Boxer and My Left Foot. I'm gonna watch Gangs of New York as soon as it will be released here in Italy. Anyway, I think that D-DL was perfect in My Left Foot

Though I love LOTM, I will have to agree with Ongewasgone that "My Left Foot" was definitely a defining role. The entire dedication and focus that went into that role ... on DDL's part, he truly brought the character to life.
caitlin

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

May 27 2002

Posted - June 27 2003 :  9:30:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Theresa

Speaking of...just saw the advertisement on tv for GONY available Tuesday...of course you can order it right here...right Rich? Daniel's performance in it was mind boggling. He would have made a very intriguing Strider but Viggo did a good job with it, right Christina?

Wow, how did I miss THIS thread earlier? All kinds of great questions, but in answer to Theresa...While I would have dearly loved to see my Danny as Strider, I have to say that Viggo Mortensen is dead on in the role. I'm a Tolkien nut and it takes a lot to please me...and Viggo is not only a good actor in this role but I've got him now second on my list to Hawkeye as most-gorgeous-thing-I've-seen-on-film. Doubt my devotion to Aragorn? Come by my desk and see my poster, my screen saver, my vintage "Aragorn" figurine and the Aragorn for President bumper sticker on my Jeep...
Now, as for Dan's best role, Hawkeye is my sentimental favorite. But a VERY close second is Gerry Conlon in INOTF. I fell in love with that character. He conveyed such emotion and authenticity in that role, and performed with such a range...the accent was also perfect. I loved Dan in the Boxer as well but why, oh why, couldn't they have let him have a decent haircut and clothes that didn't look like they came from the Goodwill store in Purgatory?
And tied with Gerry is Bill the Butcher. I thought Dan made a great, sexy, psychotic villain. I loved watching those long hands fling knives. I loved the accent. I loved the clothes. He should have won the Oscar. He wuz robbed.
But Hawkeye, of course, is still the ideal!!!
Christina

See this face? This is the face of a woman on the edge.
Whoopi Goldberg, "Jumping Jack Flash"

Dances with Beagles
Colonial Settler

USA

May 19 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 15 2003 :  12:31:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
DDL a shoe cobbler? Where have I been?!!

I found this article on the FOXNews website http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,91929,00.html (article below)

Well, I have certainly been out of the loop! Why was DDL working as a shoemaker in Florence? Was it for a role, or was it some sort of therapy?!!

Hey, I'd walk a mile in HIS shoes any day! (but not at those prices!)

Article from FOX:

Daniel Day Lewis: A Peach of a Cobbler (by Roger Friedman)

Last week in sunny Florence, Italy, I had the pleasure of finally meeting Stefano Bemer -- the custom shoemaker for whom Oscar winning actor Daniel Day-Lewis worked a couple of years ago.

Bemer's very small shop is not in a fashionable area of Florence, but sort of hidden away and extremely discreet. It consists of a tiny waiting area with a counter, adjoined by a similar workspace. There, a couple of workers bang on nails and try not to inhale glue as they make one of a kind pairs of men's shoes.

The shoes all carry the same price tag: $1,500 for the actual product, plus $250 for the three required fittings. I tried on a pair of suede desert boots which Bemer had in my size. The price tag for these was $730. They were lovely, but I declined in several languages.

Bemer had nothing but praise for Day-Lewis, whom he called a hard worker. "I used to say to him, 'Daniel, no one is perfect,'" said Bemer, noting that Day-Lewis would often become disturbed when a stitch was not exactly right.

Day-Lewis worked for Bemer for an astounding 11 months in 1999. The shoe man would definitely take him back. In the meantime, Bemer makes shoes for the likes of Sting -- who has a villa in Tuscany.

I, however, have returned to the Timberland outlet shop.

Lilymarie
Lost in the Wilderness

Yogi the bear

July 08 2003

Posted - July 17 2003 :  10:12:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This was a tough one. He has put so much quality and beauty into each of his roles that it's really hard to pick just one. I voted for ITNOTF, but I was also leaning toward Gangs, then MLF, followed by LOTM. These four films show his tremendous range, versatility and incredible sexual charisma, which he manages to radiate even while sitting in a wheelchair or throwing knives. Remarkable talent! Gorgeous man!

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - September 04 2003 :  11:46:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Had to say Hawkeye though "In the Name of the Father", and "My Left Foot" are both also excellent. I've read he works very hard to "become" his character, research, etc... As to his accent according to the novels he would have spoke with a sort of Delaware (Algonquian) and Dutch accent. His parents being of Dutch extraction and his living with Chingachgook and the Delawares from about age 12.

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - September 05 2003 :  05:12:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I just watched "Gangs" yesterday..I've got to say that all of them were robbed.. Especially the film itself..."Gangs of NY" should have won best picture.. "Chicago" was just so much hipe and fluff..better by far than "Moulon Rouge" but still it was nothing in camparison...

HAWK

"The scum of every nation gravitates to the frontier."
Benjamin Franklin 1750

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin 1759

The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."

"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

Bill R
Colonial Militia

Farm Gnome
USA

July 03 2002

Posted - September 05 2003 :  3:14:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, I've seen him in The Boxer, and Gangs, and LOTM. I'd have to go with Gangs. He was great in that role. We, the audience, were just as compelled and confused as Leonardo's character about Bill in that we both loved and hated Bill the Butcher...all through DDL's excellent portrayal. But that eye! Jeez! Where'd they come up with that idea? Did the real life guy after whom the role was cast have such a thing? Anyway, DDL is a dedicated artist who researches his characters to the Nth degree and gets very into them. Excellent actor, but I'd go with Gangs on this one. His best role so far in my opinion.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: real last of the mohicans story Topic Next Topic: LOTM Cels for sale on Ebay  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.39 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07