The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/8/2024 1:45:59 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Historical Sites!
 Finally....a new Director at Ticongeroga
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Restore history while you lease Topic Next Topic: Old Tappan, N.Y.  

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 19 2002

Posted - March 27 2010 :  8:01:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Fort Ticonderoga Announces New Executive Director

Peter S. Paine, Jr., President of the Fort Ticonderoga Association announced the appointment of Beth L. Hill to serve as Executive Director of Fort Ticonderoga, one of the oldest and most significant historic sites in North America. Beth Hill arrives at the Fort, said Mr. Paine, with the enthusiastic support of the Board of Trustees. She brings a proven track record, enthusiasm and confidence to her new responsibilities. She will begin her work at Fort Ticonderoga on May 1, 2010.

Ms. Hill will come to Ticonderoga after a very successful tenure at Ft. Dobbs, the site of a French and Indian War fort in Statesville, North Carolina, with the mission to preserve and interpret the states French and Indian War experience. Six years ago, Ms. Hill assumed leadership at Ft. Dobbs when the North Carolina Division of State Historic Sites gave her the task to develop the closed site. Since that time, Hill has transformed Ft. Dobbs into a thriving historic site offering engaging programs and interpretation to new generation of visitors. She developed a volunteer corps of 1,100 Friends, a staff, re-enactments and other educational programs. Ms. Hills greatest achievement has been the development of the strategic and comprehensive site plans which provide the foundation for the capital campaign to reconstruct the fort.

Anthony D. Pell, Vice President and Treasurer of the Fort Ticonderoga Association, commented, Beth Hill has the ability to write a vital, new chapter for Fort Ticonderoga as we move into the second decade of the 21st century. We all found her enthusiasm and energy infectious and refreshing. Trustee, Dr. H. Nicholas Muller, III of Essex, NY, who led the search for the Executive Director that attracted over 90 applicants from across the country and Canada stated Beth Hill stood out among a talented field.

President Paine also announced that the Board of Trustees has promoted Acting Executive Director to the position of Deputy Director. He noted Ms. ONeil-Teers remarkable leadership over the last 18 months during which Fort Ticonderoga worked through a period of management transition and greatly improved its financial condition. Indeed, 2009 saw the Fort both operate with a small surplus and also dramatically reduce its indebtedness. Mr. Paine noted that since he assumed the Presidency of the Fort in March 2008 the Board of Trustees had been strengthened by the arrival of seven new members, at least three of whom have close ties to the Ticonderoga area. He complimented the Board for their hard work and generous support of the Fort during a difficult period. Mr. Paine concluded Beth Hill and Kelly ONeil-Teer will form a dynamic leadership team committed to excellence.

Beth Hill is a graduate of Winthrop College in SC and also holds a masters degree in history from American University in Washington DC. She recently received two major awards at the North Carolina Museum Council, an organization with over 500 members. The first, for the Best Newsletter credited the Fort Dobbs Gazette with helping achieve a 35% increase in attendance in 2009. She also was awarded the prestigious Mid-Career Professional Award, given to one recipient annually that recognized her hard work, energy, and passion.

Ms. Hill will come to Ticonderoga with her husband Scott, a successful supply chain management executive, and nine-year old son Ethan. During her time at Ft. Dobbs she has shown great sensitivity to the needs of the community and region served by the historic site and looks forward to engaging with Ticonderoga and the Adirondack-Champlain Region.

Ms. Hill said, I am honored and look forward to serving the many Fort Ticonderoga partners at the local, state and national levels. We will strive to offer a comprehensive historical experience that is diverse, authentic, relevant and engaging. The Fort is a significant and tangible link to how we as a people became America and has every reason to be the nations most successful historic site. Fort Ticonderoga is indeed Americas Fort.

Fort Ticonderoga opens on May 20 for its 102nd season with new tours and exhibits for the whole family. The season will offer many events including the Scottish Festival, the French & Indian War Encampment and the Revolutionary War Reenactment, to name a few. July and August feature the Fife & Drum Corps, a series of family programs and the new exclusive nighttime Ghost Tours based on the T.A.P.S. investigation as seen on the Ghost Hunters TV show. The entire calendar for the Fort and The Kings Garden can be seen online at www.FortTiconderoga.org.

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~
report to moderator

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - March 28 2010 :  09:51:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I know Beth well from my association with Fort Dobbs. She is exactly what Ticonderoga needs. But this will be a blow to Fort Dobbs. All Dobbs really is is a gift shop built by the DAR years ago, a small pavilion with rest rooms, and across the road a house converted into offices. They have some land but not all they need to preserve the fort area. The fort itself is nothing more than the remains of some earth works and a very small log structure built in the last year. From this Beth has created two very successful events each year and a living history program each month. She has been blocked at every turn by the state withholding money (wrong political party in that area) and by local interests that don't want to see any public money spent on a historic site. Who needs history! There are plans on the table for a complete reconstruction of the original fort and private fund raising efforts in place. There is already money available for an interpretive center across the road next to the offices. All this is from basically nothing and has been accomplished in the last four years. I can only hope that whoever replaces Beth will have the same abilities and success that she has.

Beth is also very "French Friendly", so perhaps she will change the name of Ticonderoga to Carillon as it should be!

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - March 28 2010 :  10:34:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info, Fitz. It sounds as if the $$$ problems there are the same as everywhere else. Sorry to hear that.

Sorry, too, to hear she is "French Friendly".....maybe if they had won, it COULD be named Carillon! But, alas, it was never to be. And, Ticonderoga is really a much better name......has a clearer 'ring' to it, as it were. (Pun definitely intended!!) However, whatever it is called, it is a fabulous place and I wish her well. She will have no 'govment' interference, since it is a private Association. It is a big step up for her, and I do wish her well. I am anxious to meet her in June, and see her again at the Officers' Dinner in July.

I understand that her husband was once a member of our own Sjt. Maj. Malcolm MacWilliam's Muskets of the Crown....makes him a very good guy already!

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

BookwormMG
Deerslayer

USA

August 12 2009

Donating Member

Posted - March 28 2010 :  1:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Seamus, the title of your post suggests she'll be an improvement over the previous director. Or does it just mean that the position has been vacant for quite a long time?

And speaking of Sjt. Maj. Malcolm MacWilliams, where the heck is he? I always think of him when the redbuds begin to bloom.

"Glory, glory, hallelujah, welcome to the future!" -- Brad Paisley

Seamus

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - March 28 2010 :  2:34:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Mary, it means the position has been open for a long time. Not knowing Mrs. Hill, it would be unfair to make any comparisons to the previous director.

Malcolm does not frequent the Board hardly at all anymore. He is well, though, and when I see him next I will remember you to him. We visit almost weekly, in fact, we were emailing this morning. His folks live near me here, so he comes up often. BTW, their 71st Anniversary was this past week.

Life's journey is not to

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - March 28 2010 :  11:34:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If Scott is in attendance at the party, perhaps he will dance on the table like he does at Fort Dobbs. You will like the both of them.

I won't make the event this June, but maybe I can stop by Fort Ti, I mean Fort Carillon, in August on my way to Fort St. Frederick (aka Crown Point). Or maybe if July if I can talk the wife into a trip to the Restigouche River and Chaleur Bay.

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 30 2010 :  11:07:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I too think of Sjt. Maj. Malcolm MacWilliams when the redbuds bloom, Mary!! See him on Facebook from time to time.

Interesting to hear about the Forts as I have been to both and have family living within a couple of miles from Fort Dobbs. I keep meaning to visit again since hearing Fitz talk about it. I LOVED Fort Ti and hope to visit again someday! Glad to hear a capable and passionate person will be coming on board there! Hate to hear Fort Dobbs is losing such a person!

GG

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - March 30 2010 :  2:06:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Scott Douglass was Beth's head interpreter and the logical one to replace her. Beth went through three before finding Scott. If he does, he will carry on where she left off. But we all know that what makes the most sense is not necessarily what happens. So I just hope for the best. The next event is the "War for Empire" on the weekend of April 10. Should be interesting to see what the "word on the street" is then.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - April 07 2010 :  08:59:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I just found this this morning when I logged on to Facebook. I am a "fan" of the Fort Ti page, and they posted this podcast of an interview with Beth.

Podcast

Wow. That woman is a go-getter... and quite the talker. I think she is going to be absolutely what that fort needs.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - April 07 2010 :  09:33:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You need to meet her! She made Fort Dobbs what it is today. And you should have a little extra cherry bounce (or whatever you call it) when you do.

Previous Topic: Restore history while you lease Topic Next Topic: Old Tappan, N.Y.  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.39 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07