The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/7/2024 1:25:02 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Historical Sites!
 When Beavers Roamed Manhattan
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: Belle Grove Plantation Topic Next Topic: Save Bushy Run
Page: of 2

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 24 2009 :  10:48:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I live in Reedsburg, home of the "Beavers" football team and the High School mascot...we get to shout "go beavers". We are known as the "beavers" and we do get some snickers from time to time.

Image Insert:

31.3KB

Image Insert:

11.92KB

IG
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - August 25 2009 :  07:30:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I certainly hope you have a bumper sticker with "Go Beavers" ... ;)

you can keep "The Change"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 25 2009 :  12:38:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
OK. I'm sorry, Mary, but I just gotta do it. I have a "Beaver" story to tell. I can't hold off any longer. [WW chuckles with glee in anticipation.]

As many of you know, I am from the state of Oregon. I lived in Salem, the capitol city, as a young adult. Near to Salem is the lovely little town of Corvallis, which is the home to Oregon State University. Nice college town. The mascot of OSU is... you guessed it... the Beaver. It is also their team name. They are the Oregon State Beavers.

One day, my first husband and I had gone over to Corvallis for some long-forgotten reason. We walked into a small grocery/convenience store. While there, I walked over to the magazine racks and began to browse. Knowing full well I was in the home town of the Oregon State Beavers, I spotted a magazine that was quite simply titled, "Beavers." I reached down and picked it up. I don't recall what was on the cover, but it certainly did NOT prepare me for what met my eyes when I opened it up. It was most definitely not about the football team, nor was it about the delightful creatures with the big, flat tail and the two big front teeth. (OK, guys... don't even think about saying it!)

With a very red face, I put the magazine back very quickly.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - August 25 2009 :  1:14:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Gawd, - my typing finger is shaking, ... where I could take that! ;)

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 25 2009 :  2:08:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey!! You control that finger!!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 25 2009 :  3:43:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I imagine that General Webb could have appreciated that magazine.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 25 2009 :  6:37:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Great story WW thanks for sharing I can just see you

IG

BookwormMG
Deerslayer

USA

August 12 2009

Donating Member

Posted - August 25 2009 :  8:47:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
In terms of number of comments received, this may be the most successful post I've ever written. There's a thought!

"Glory, glory, hallelujah, welcome to the future!" -- Brad Paisley

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - August 25 2009 :  10:13:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
OMG!! WW, I've never meant you but I can picture your face!! That is too too funny!!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

"Live well, love much, laugh often!"

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 26 2009 :  07:06:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BookwormMG

The September issue of National Geographic has a cover article entitled "Before New York: Rediscovering the Wilderness of 1609." For the past ten years or so the Wildlife Conservation Society has conducted what they call the Mannahatta Project, an effort to envision what Manhattan Island would have looked like when Henry Hudson first laid eyes on it. ("Mannahatta" is Lenape for "island of many hills.")

Key to this effort is the "British Headquarters Map," printed in 1782 or 1783, more than ten feet long and three feet wide, and drawn by British military cartographers during the Revolution. Because its purpose was to assist Brisith officers in planning a defense of the island, the map is unusually detailed, including not only topographic features such as hills and streams, but also farms, orchards, and roads. Thus, the HQ map can be overlaid on a map of present-day Manhattan, and you can see what Times Square, for instance, used to be (a red maple swamp). Once the features of the landscape were laid out, the plants and animals that would likely have been part of a particular habitat could be added -- turkey, elk, black bears, and beavers, to name a few.

The author adds that in the winter of 2007, to the amazement of ecologists, a beaver appeared on a riverbank in the Bronx Zoo, where it proceeded to build a lodge. Apparently the Bronx River has been cleaned up considerably! I guess we could even say that Mannahatta hasn't been entirely "trapped out."

And, the article is fantastic!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 26 2009 :  10:46:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by blackfootblood

OMG!! WW, I've never met you but I can picture your face!! That is too too funny!!

Interestingly, if that had happened to me at the age I am now, I wouldn't have been nearly as embarrassed. But, I was in my mid-twenties and newly married, back in the early 70s, when things were not nearly as...... open.... (MG! I'm warning you!! )... as they are now. Quite frankly, I was pretty horrified.

Sorry, Rich. I know you were trying to get this back on track.

Mary, Success comes in may disguises. Enjoy it!

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - August 26 2009 :  11:45:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have no doubt WW, - I'm sure you didn't sleep for days. ;)

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Belle Grove Plantation Topic Next Topic: Save Bushy Run  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.33 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07