The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/5/2024 7:28:30 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 violence in LOTM
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Things to Read: Articles of Interest Topic Next Topic: What is the great Mohican gathering?  

vecn
Lost in the Wilderness

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
December 08 2002

Posted - December 08 2002 :  12:19:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wanted to know the opinions of the community regarding the violence in the movie LOTM. I would like my kids to watch it,their ages are 12 and 13. Also, was this film prior to pg13 and that is the reason it has an R rating. Thanks for the help!
report to moderator

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - December 08 2002 :  08:56:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes, it has its "R" rating due to violence only. There is no sex or foul language.

My opinion? The movie has what I term "historically justified" violence. It happened [more or less!]. Viewing this doesn't cause one to go out on a scalping rampage. Conversely, it'd probably make a reasonably sane person abhor violence all the more.

Anyway, it pales in comparison to some of the war movies made since! Sit back and enjoy!!!!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 08 2002 :  1:13:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree, Rich. While I really shy away from violence in films (such as murder, rape and ill-treatment of women and children), I have to say that LOTM is quite mild in comparison to others. I have watched my 2nd favorite film, The Patriot, a number of times and I still have to close my eyes during a couple of the scenes. I nearly passed out in the theater during Mel's "Tomahawk" scene! LOL!

So, vecn, my opinion is that your kids should be allowed to watch it. I feel they are old enough, and they most likely see worse on TV. The movie is too good to _not_ let them see it.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Vixen
Colonial Settler

Duncan

November 07 2002

Posted - December 08 2002 :  6:21:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I say definatly let them watch it. I'm not too praticular on violent movies, and I refuse to watch the "lets take out munros heart!" scene, I still love the movie. If, for some reason, your kids dont like it, by all means turn it off, but I have no doubt that they will follow it. After all, if they feel that it is too violent for them, they will usually close their eyes, rather then watch it. Happy Viewing!

"What are they doing to Duncan?!?"
-Cora Munro

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - December 08 2002 :  7:17:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by vecn

I wanted to know the opinions of the community regarding the violence in the movie LOTM. I would like my kids to watch it,their ages are 12 and 13. Also, was this film prior to pg13 and that is the reason it has an R rating. Thanks for the help!

There is nothing in the movie that's going to be disturbing to the average 12 or 13 year old.

But why not rent it and watch it yourself before making up your mind?

~~Aim small, miss small.

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - December 08 2002 :  7:22:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

...I nearly passed out in the theater during Mel's "Tomahawk" scene! LOL!...

Now confess, Wilderness Woman:

Was it the violence, or was it seeing Mel in his savage state that was just a bit to "stirring to the blood"?

~~Aim small, miss small.

Ithiliana
Colonial Settler

Ithiliana
USA

November 07 2002

Posted - December 08 2002 :  10:01:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Ithiliana an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
rofl!!!!
as for 12 to 13, i know three 13 year old girls who watched the movie multiple times and loved it, two of them never once closed their eyes. so i say go for it. like vix said, if they dont like it, turn it off.

Le Poisson Rouge Seudois du Chaos
Conspiracy of One

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 09 2002 :  12:18:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Bubar

quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

...I nearly passed out in the theater during Mel's "Tomahawk" scene! LOL!...

Now confess, Wilderness Woman:

Was it the violence, or was it seeing Mel in his savage state that was just a bit to "stirring to the blood"?

LOL! Perhaps a bit of both, Scott! No... actually, it is the fact that the 21st century part of me faints at the sight of blood... even from a hangnail! Even from fake blood in a movie! Guess it's a good thing I'm not a nurse.

In all seriousness, I have often thought that if one of _my_ children was seriously threatened or hurt in any way, much less killed in a senseless act of pure cruelty, without any thought involved I could easily regress into that very same savage state that "Benjamin Martin" did. No... I do not begrudge Benjamin Martin his actions. I would most likely have done the same, and somehow I would have gotten the physical strength to do it!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Ithiliana
Colonial Settler

Ithiliana
USA

November 07 2002

Posted - December 09 2002 :  6:40:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Ithiliana an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
oh yea...go WW!!!
i actually must confess i dont like mel gibson too much, because the movies he stars in are just a bit nasty. i remember turning on the tv, flipping through the channels, and coming up on a movie where his eyelids are being taped up so he can't blink, as a torture of some sort.... mind you, i dont mind gory (like munro's heart scene) but i cant watch people tortured or drown, and i have to use a lot of self control to watch them burn...

Le Poisson Rouge Seudois du Chaos
Conspiracy of One

Vixen
Colonial Settler

Duncan

November 07 2002

Posted - December 10 2002 :  8:04:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I thought the burning part wasn't that bad...(ok, I know, i ran into the closet with ithi's little sister, but that was once outta three! Simply cause I figured I had already seen it once and I figured might as well not see it again, it was a bit distrubing at first, but once i say it a couple of times...not bad)But i'd have to say that the burning part wasn't the worst bit. You could just ask them "would you be up to watching a semi gory movie?" It really depends on the kid, I think. If you have shadowed them in a world of fuzzy bunnies and soft, cushy, comfortable endings, then yes, I'd say this movie would be too strong, but if they have been exposed to things of a similar nature, then by all means buy some popcorn and get it rolling!

Let us know how they like it!

"What are they doing to Duncan?!?"
-Cora Munro

Ongewasgone
Pioneer

Gothic Guy 2
Italy

September 17 2002

Posted - December 22 2002 :  4:18:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ongewasgone's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
BE CAREFUL!!!
I watched the movie for the first time when I was 8; and I was shocked by Munro's death scene. I don't know if you your kids should see the movie or not...
  Previous Topic: Things to Read: Articles of Interest Topic Next Topic: What is the great Mohican gathering?  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.36 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07