The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/5/2024 5:03:49 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Historical Sites!
 Bring back any memories???
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Greetings from the Land of Lincoln Topic Next Topic: Paul Revere et al, ...  

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
March 14 2005

Posted - January 15 2009 :  1:41:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might also go to the "Home Page", ... some pretty good stuff.
http://www.ohiobarns.com/othersites/gas/gas.html

you can keep "The Change"
report to moderator

Kay
Colonial Settler

USA

January 06 2009

Posted - January 15 2009 :  3:25:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I used to live in Bedford, PA. I loved and still love that old Gulf gas station-it is so unique and really beautiful considering you usually think of a gas station as a ho-hum kind of place. It was still there when I past it going to western PA to visit family this past summer and I hope that it remains there. Speaking of other unique architecture, has anyone ever seen the old Coffee Pot Diner in Bedford? It's now on the grounds of the Bedford Fairgrounds. Or anyone remember the old Ship Hotel on rt 30 just a few miles from where the road bends sharp around the Old Shot Factory? Of course by the time I ever saw it it was long abandoned but I was real sorry to see it burn down. It must have been cool in its hey day! Or lastly, what about the Bedford Springs Hotel? It was also abandoned when I lived there but we always use to roam the grounds and peak in windows. I see it has since been restored and opened as a four star hotel. I wish I had the money to see inside that place! To bad stores and businesses aren't built with that much class today-maybe I wouldn't be so disgusted with all the developement if that was the case!

Kay
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 15 2009 :  3:46:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I just filled-up there in December, while attending Old Bedford Village's 18th Century Christmastyme. There is something appealing to me about the Art-Deco style which was prevalent from the 1930's to 1950's. It was a form of design that was cosmopolitan and edgy, but still warm (unlike the hermetically sealed 'glass boxes' of today's sick-buildings). Another classic building which comes to mind is the Allegheny County Airport in West Mifflin (PA). My department still has a one-man detail there (and has since 1936), and even the airport police station is classic to say the least (including the black and dark green floor tiles).

YMH&OS,
The Sarge

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - January 15 2009 :  5:01:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The old ship motel!! Boy, does that bring back memories! I actually remember when I was itty bitty, my mom and I stopped there to get candy. It was right before it closed. But every time we would head down to Bedford, we would either go down or come back on route 30 just to see the old building. It's a same that it burnt down, they could have restored that and made a huge profit from the tourism. And the Coffee pot, my folks pointed that out to me this summer when I was home visiting, that they had moved it. Fortunately, it's only a few feet up the road! And Bedford Springs, how pretty is that place now! It's gorgeous, just wish I had the money to fork over for a night's stay there! I took pics the summer of 07' when it was finished being revamped. I'll have to post some of them that way other folks here on the board can see them.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

"Live well, love much, laugh often!"

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - January 15 2009 :  5:45:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Okay, I finally found my pics of Bedford Springs, here they are.

The hotel coming up from the right side

Image Insert:

54.16 KB

Right side of the hotel moving to the left

Image Insert:

49.09 KB

Image Insert:

48.21 KB

The main lobby of the hotel

Image Insert:

39.92 KB

Past the lobby still moving to the left

Image Insert:

39.18 KB

Image Insert:

30.56 KB

At the far left of the hotel

Image Insert:

43.1 KB

This is the spring house across the road from the hotel

Image Insert:

52.58 KB

Image Insert:

49.38 KB

And this is a old pic of the Ship Motel in route to Bedford on Route 30

Image Insert:

36.92 KB

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

"Live well, love much, laugh often!"

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - January 15 2009 :  8:10:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wow! Beautiful hotel.

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 15 2009 :  11:12:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That is simply gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

Kay
Colonial Settler

USA

January 06 2009

Posted - January 16 2009 :  12:54:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting the pics! I have some too some where from when we lived there but it looks great now! Have you ever checked out the Bedford Springs website? They have some pics of the interior too. Just amazing! It's so worth checking out-http://www.bedfordspringsresort.com.

When it was built the indoor swimming pool was state of the art for it's day-one of the first indoor pools in existence. It was President Buchanan's summer white house during his presidency-and many presidents before and after him stayed there too. The first trans-atlantic cable message was recieved by James Buchanan in the hotel's lobby in 1858. During WWII, the site was used to hold Japanese Diplomats captured in Germany and then shipped over here and it was also used as a training facility for U.S. Navy radio operators. And to connect this subject to the American Indian- they were the first to recognize and use the mineral springs there before the rest of us arrived.

Bea and I and our victorian dance organization have often talked about how cool it would be for all of us to stay there for a night and host a true victorian ball there-dinner at midnight, dancing til morning, and all. You're right-if only we had that kind of money! It would be a once in a life time event!

Kay

Kay
Colonial Settler

USA

January 06 2009

Posted - January 16 2009 :  1:08:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
A few more things popped into my head. The location of the former Ship Hotel. I am reading the book The French and Indian War in Pennsylvania 1753-1763 by the PA historical and musuem commission. This book was first written sometime in the 1970s. In the chapter where the book traces Forbes route it mentions the curvature of the road that they created as you are heading up hill and pass the Old Shot Factory (which of course didn't exist at that time), but the book said that after you curved past the shot factory-several miles down the road was a small fort built as one of the stopping points on Forbes rt. There also was a military camp maintained nearby. I wish I had the book in front of me b/c I can't remember the name of the fort or the commander of the camp. I'll have to look it up again. But by the way the booked talked it sounded like this fort was either extremely close to or the ship hotel was possibly build on top of it's location. Does anyone know anything about this or have any ideas? And by the way blackfootblood, where was "home" to you or is to your family?

Kay

di-mc
Pioneer

Cora 4
USA

September 03 2008

Posted - January 16 2009 :  1:13:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wow! My husband & I went through that area often, but never knew about this place! Amazing.

Diane
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 17 2009 :  08:30:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kay

In the chapter where the book traces Forbes route it mentions the curvature of the road that they created as you are heading up hill and pass the Old Shot Factory (which of course didn't exist at that time), but the book said that after you curved past the shot factory-several miles down the road was a small fort built as one of the stopping points on Forbes rt. There also was a military camp maintained nearby.

That was possibly Fort Bedford, I would think. I'm not sure, though. Seamus could tell us for certain.

As far as the Grand View Ship Hotel, check this out! Ship Hotel Be sure to follow the links to complete the story and find out what happened to it. Kind of sad, because it was very, very cool! I would have loved to stay there!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - January 17 2009 :  8:44:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Fort Bedford was monstrous....covered most of what is the town today. This may refer to one of the smaller outposts related to the fort. I'd have to get into Bouquet's Papers one of these days and see what it may refer to.....

One of the bastions has been discovered, dug, and rebuilt......really interesting. It's the one which has an elevated covered way which terminates over the middle of the river there and has a trapdoor where a bucket on a line was lowered down to dip water for the fort. It was covered for protection against attack.

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 18 2009 :  11:02:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Seamus noted: Fort Bedford was monstrous....covered most of what is the town today. This may refer to one of the smaller outposts related to the fort. I'd have to get into Bouquet's Papers one of these days and see what it may refer to.....

I don't think so, since all of the outlying structures and cantonment areas were not that far from the fort. The fort Kay refers can only be Fort Dewart (or Duart), which was at the western end of Rhor's Gap near present-day Stoystown (PA). It was originally just an earthen redoubt, with stone bread ovens within meant as a secure overnight bivouac on the Forbes Military Road (not quite midway between Fort Bedford and Fort Ligonier), and it did not have a permanent garrison. It is still there today, as well as a portion of the Forbes Road, and resides on private property.

YMH&OS,
The Sarge

P.S.- As a sidenote, I did make reference to Fort Dewart in my posted historical fiction (which for some unknown reason the type had become askewed)

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

Kay
Colonial Settler

USA

January 06 2009

Posted - January 29 2009 :  4:03:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sorry for taking so long to reply. You are right Sgt., it was Fort Dewart. I finally got to pull my book back out and look it up. It was a half a mile northeast of a spot where Col. John Armstrong established a military camp in August 1758. You said it is still there today, which answers my questions of whether it was on the site of the ship hotel-it's neat to know that portions of the fort still exist. Thanks for answering my question!

Kay
  Previous Topic: Greetings from the Land of Lincoln Topic Next Topic: Paul Revere et al, ...  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.42 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07