The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/7/2024 7:24:15 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Where Are They Now Update
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Alice--radically changed at the end..does not look away.. Topic Next Topic: Erics Native Language  

James N.
Colonial Militia

James N
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 24 2007

Posted - April 27 2008 :  12:22:03 PM  Show Profile  Send James N. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Image Insert:

31.32KB

Image Insert:

26.98KB

When I reported previously on seeing the LOTM French mortar outside a North Dallas antiques mall, it piqued my curiousity as to whether or not it was still there after nearly a decade, so I decided to "check it out" on one of my recent trips back to "Big D". As you can readily see - unfortunately, it is! However it is no longer "out front", having been removed around to the alley to be forgotten and as the saying goes, "rust in pieces".

The so-called antiques mall has about gone under, being now mainly a rather direlect "decorater's" shop/warehouse, strewn with junk and debris, mostly of the fake antiques kind. However I DID find among the racks of junky porcelian, etc. a worker who purported to be the owner who filled me in on not only this mortar, but many other props and set pieces from Mohicans!

He claimed to have bought a HUGE pile of stuff at a warehouse auction when the Spaghetti Warehouse restaraunt chain revamped their image and divested themselves of tons of decorater items THEY had origanilly gotten at an auction in Atlanta. Supposedly among these various things were ALL the canoes and artillery pieces from the movie! He then pieced them out as decorater props to various retail establishments, etc. ( That accounts for the canoe I'd seen in the mall. ) He claims to still own one of the canoes, which his kids use to play in at his lakehouse (!); and described its inboard motor as mentioned in Eric Hurley's narrative.

Naturally, he seems to be one of that sort who know little and care less about the history of a particular item; apart from what he thinks he can get out of it. ( And his attitude is very apparant that HE has it - you DON'T! ) When I asked about the whereabouts of the mortar I'd seen, he talked about it as if it wasn't even around anymore; even though he allowed as how it WAS, claiming it was still in "good" condition. ( No doubt he hoped I'd offer him "big bucks" for it, sight unseen, so he could unload it! ) On leaving his place, I decided to poke around a bit, driving around back - and there it forlornly sat!

You can judge for yourselves what kind of condition it's now in by comparing these photos with those I'd previously posted from 10 years ago. ( Or with how they look onscreen, for that matter! ) I guess since ALL the wood hasn't disappeared or collapsed, that qualifies as "good condition"! Interestingly enough, the "ox-blood" dark brown paint required by Michael Mann has all worn off, leaving the undercoat of madder-red which was correct for French artillery pieces of the period. ( And which the paint department origanilly applied! ) In fairness to Mann, I've heard repeatedly on movie sets that REDS ( especially vivid ones like this ) are difficult from a cinematographer's standpoint, never looking "right" on film. So usually they are toned-down in some fashion like this.

report to moderator

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 13 2006

Posted - April 28 2008 :  8:39:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by James N.

. . . I've heard repeatedly on movie sets that REDS (especially vivid ones like this) are difficult from a cinematographer's standpoint, never looking "right" on film. So usually they are toned-down in some fashion. . . .

Yes, well, what can I say? We "Reds" are often radiant. It's hard to capture our stunning beauty on film.

Bad jokes aside , thanks for the update, James. That cannon does look a little worse for the wear, even if the paint is now more accurate.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Alice--radically changed at the end..does not look away.. Topic Next Topic: Erics Native Language  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.25 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07