The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/6/2024 5:42:30 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Inside the Longhouse
 I need some help!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: The Last Of The Patuxets .... Topic Next Topic: Great movie on Saturday night ...  

Last of the dustbunnies
Pioneer

uncas in dark
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
July 17 2007

Posted - July 21 2007 :  01:33:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm trying REALLY hard to write a story on the lenape people. and one thing i REALLY REALLY need is, who were the lenape's tribal enemy?? anyone smart about the topic please help me!
I also need some lenape names. i'm kinda lost there too. google.com doesnt help me at ALL!

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
report to moderator

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - July 21 2007 :  10:54:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sorry, I won't be any help here, but after you write it, if you want an editor, let me know. I'm not much for coming up with the story, but have a lot of experience editing. What's the attraction to the Lenape?
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - July 21 2007 :  1:10:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey, Dustbunny! You might try asking Light. I think she knows a lot about NA customs. (Not just those dealing with Uncas!)

And Winglo: what kind of editing? (Just curious! I was a journal editor myself for two years. )

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - July 21 2007 :  8:52:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm sure Lonewolf could help on this topic, he knows all about this sort of thing.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

"Live well, love much, laugh often!"

Trailstalker
Pathfinder

Chingachgook
USA

July 09 2007

Posted - July 21 2007 :  8:57:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've read (IIRC) that originally the Lenape people were the most influential tribe in the the early English trading sphere, and this did not set well with the Mohawk in particular. After years of bitter rivalry over this trade and the inevitable tribal skimishes, the Mohawks gained ascendancy and "took over" as (one of)the primary trade allies of the English. Relations in between the various tribes, thr French, and the English were ever changing, so the Lenape and Mohawks were, at times, allies with the English simultaneously.

Just my $0.02

ETA: Here are a couple of links that have a few Lenape (Algonkin?) names. Hope this helps!

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/names/nativeam.htm

http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/tribes/delaware/delawarechiefs.htm

"We will find a way, or make one."

Last of the dustbunnies
Pioneer

uncas in dark
USA

July 17 2007

Posted - July 21 2007 :  11:16:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
thanks so much guys! this is very helpful!!!!!!!!

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

winglo
Deerslayer

USA

July 13 2007

Donating Member

Posted - July 22 2007 :  07:23:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by RedFraggle

And Winglo: what kind of editing? (Just curious! I was a journal editor myself for two years. )

Red, Thanks for asking. I've edited mostly newsletters and journal articles in the healthcare and medical fields. I've written many newsletter and journal articles, as well. What about you? What did you edit? Do you still work in the publishing community? (Is it o.k. if I call you Red?)

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - July 26 2007 :  12:10:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Good links, TS!
Another enemy of the Lenape were the Iroquois Bands. Although the Lenape pretty much stayed out of battle with them since they were severly outnumbered.

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!
  Previous Topic: The Last Of The Patuxets .... Topic Next Topic: Great movie on Saturday night ...  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.34 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07