The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
9/19/2024 11:57:12 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 Wayne Watson ~ Renowned Gunsmith!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Tough weather ... Topic Next Topic: 250th of Fort William Henry  

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - March 22 2007 :  1:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey, for all those interested in contacting Wayne, the maker of Killdeer, he finally has a web site up. At least I just learned of it ...

WAYNE WATSON

Grab yourself a musket!
report to moderator

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - March 22 2007 :  3:59:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich, did you notice the prices? Think second mortgage here.

IMHO, there is a school of gunsmithing which may be called contemporary longrifles, and this is what Watson does. They strive for the most ornate, most perfectly built gun that can be made. I have handled some of these belonging to a very well know gunsmith that has been a friend of mine for over 30 years. But while they are perfect in every detail, they don't "feel" like a flintlock. They feel more like a very expensive piece of furniture. In my opinion they are not faithful to the original guns and are entirely a modern thing. The gun you have is a faithful reproduction, and not only that, it make by someone you know. For myself, I had much rather have it than anything on Watson's site.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - March 22 2007 :  5:02:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That is some truly beautiful work there Rich. Not so sure I'd really take a chance on actually firing one though. More for hanging on a wall - and just looking at it. Nice link, - thx.

you can keep "The Change"

42ndNCO
Pioneer

42ndEnsign
USA

September 23 2002

Posted - May 05 2007 :  06:58:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit 42ndNCO's Homepage  Send 42ndNCO an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Very pretty...but I gotta go with Fitz on this one too...

I'd be too nervous to actually take one of those treasures to an event for the money they cost...

The only time I actually see one of these things at an event is usually the over-50 set...guys who are (usually) empty nesters, have some $$ and mostly hang out tent-side. (Nothing wrong with that mind-- I often hang out with these folks myself!)

Having done the military side of things for the past 10 years I've been a re-enactor, we've mostly gone with the cheaper ( and more durable?) prodction arms-- the Charleville's, Besses, Tulle's, etc.

With all the character marks my Bess has earned the last seven years, I just don't know about dropping that kind of coin for something that's going to get toted through the woods, dropped on the ground, etc.

Humbly &c.,
Ensign mcmillan
1/42nd Royal Highlanders
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

Pvt. Chauncey
Pioneer

Private Chauncey

October 05 2002

Posted - May 07 2007 :  09:06:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pvt. Chauncey's Homepage  Send Pvt. Chauncey an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Indeed, IMHO these are collector's items. I'm sure we all know at least one person who has pieces that will never see black powder except at a great distance. I know Tom Brown of Westminster Forge has a gun of lesser value that has never been fired (and he probably has more than one!). But they make a great part of a collection.

Personally, I would rather have pieces I can use, even if it is still under the name of collecting. Next, I want a dog-lock for really early 18thC stuff!

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - May 07 2007 :  5:29:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Man o man, he does some nice work! Just as soon as I win the Lottery, I'll take a dozen or so!

To paraphrase the old saw, "nothing exceeds like excess!"
  Previous Topic: Tough weather ... Topic Next Topic: 250th of Fort William Henry  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.2 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07