The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/6/2024 1:20:53 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICANLAND: Community
 Bunkhouse Banter!
 Losing a Pet
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Happy Birthday Caitlin!!! Topic Next Topic: What a great name!  

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 04 2007 :  12:01:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just need to vent sadness at the moment, I guess..

We had to put my husband's dog of over 15-yrs to sleep tonight. That dog was amazing at her persistance. When I was pregnant with all my kids, she irritated the heck out of me with her shedding (hormones *sigh*)and always got under foot when it came to food. Didn't matter what though, she always looked after everyone and was protective, especially with the kids - Bless her. She survived a coyote pack (6) attack only a couple of months ago and kept bouncing around like a new puppy afterwards. Last couple of days though, we knew her quality of life was not there anymore. ... I grew up in an area where my dogs often got hit by cars. Not saying that's a good thing, but I wonder if it's any easier to deal with when something that sudden happens instead?

Anyway, thanks for listening. All caught me off guard since we were hoping that Mother Nature would take her course and didn't. God love her, Duchess will be missed...fur shedding and all...

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"
report to moderator

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - January 04 2007 :  02:41:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Dear Caitlin: I'm so sorry to hear about Duchess. It's always very sad when Mother Nature has to be helped along in the case of family pets. My parents recently had to have their ten-year-old beagle put to sleep. When my Mom called me to give me the news I cried for a good while.

So sorry again.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 04 2007 :  08:03:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Caitlin,
I am so sorry to hear about Duchess. It isn't easy to lose a pet, especially when you have had her around for so many years. A little over three years ago, my little Dolly died. We had her for 13 years and I didn't think that I would ever get over the pain of losing her. Every time that I thought about her, I would cry, which was every day. Now I can think about her and smile because of all of the joy that she brought to our lives. I know that one day you will be able to remember Duchess without pain and sadness.

Love,
Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end
As long as goodness exists
Winds shall always soothe

www.cloudsbooks.com

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 04 2007 :  09:32:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Caitlin, I'm so sorry to hear about Duchess. We just went through this in September with my husband's 18-year-old border collie, Lady. We realized over the past year or so that her quality of life was going downhill, then it got suddenly worse. After we buried her, my husband asked, do you think she'll forgive us? I said, for what, for putting her to sleep? He said, no, for not doing it sooner. You, as the pet owner, make the ultimate sacrifice when you do this, and you have to keep reminding yourself that you did Duchess a favor in the long run.
In the meantime, here is a link to Rainbow Bridge, which someone sent me back in September. Warning, you will cry, but it might make you feel better:
http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

Stephanie

Image Insert:

60.7 KB

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 04 2007 :  11:04:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you, everyone, for your stories! My condolences to you and all pet owners that have had to go through this as well. We buried Duchess today with our kids and we all talked about how important it was to remember that she wasn't in pain now and all of the good times we all had together... it was nice. Very quiet house though...

Thanks again for listening...
Life is so precious....
Caitlin

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 05 2007 :  4:45:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I am going through the exact same dilemma now, Caitlin! My Delta, a German Shepherd, is 14 years old. I keep thinking it is time to let her go - that she is in pain, and then she rallies back and is playful and smiling (yep, she DOES smile!) eating very well and I just can't do it. She has hip dysplasia and arthritis and is on pain meds and just started having seizures before Christmas (she has only had 2) and now is on phenobarbitol and walks like a drunken sailor right after she takes that. I thought I could do this between Christmas and New Year's and now my daughter is having the hard time letting go - it is a day to day thing now. I think I am waiting for her to look me in the eye and say - "I'm ready now". I had a 13 yo cat that did just that - and I never questioned my decision. I don't think this will be that easy!

My thoughts and heart go out to you and Jeff and the kids for losing a beloved member of the family!

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 05 2007 :  11:39:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Gadget Girl

I am going through the exact same dilemma now, Caitlin! My Delta, a German Shepherd, is 14 years old. I keep thinking it is time to let her go - that she is in pain, and then she rallies back and is playful and smiling (yep, she DOES smile!) eating very well and I just can't do it. She has hip dysplasia and arthritis and is on pain meds and just started having seizures before Christmas (she has only had 2) and now is on phenobarbitol and walks like a drunken sailor right after she takes that. I thought I could do this between Christmas and New Year's and now my daughter is having the hard time letting go - it is a day to day thing now. I think I am waiting for her to look me in the eye and say - "I'm ready now". I had a 13 yo cat that did just that - and I never questioned my decision. I don't think this will be that easy!

My thoughts and heart go out to you and Jeff and the kids for losing a beloved member of the family!

Thanks, GG!
I'm so sorry that you're going through the same dilemma. It is so hard because you keep wanting them to give you that sign - wanting something simply as "hitting us over the head". I can see what Stephanie's husband was saying, because I tell you that Vets for over 5 years kept wanting us to put her down for various reasons and we kept saying that we'd let nature take her course and took it day by day. I'll be darned if she didn't live a full and enriched life for several years after... I guess that was why we kept hoping this time. Never question your decision though, it usually is for the best.

Our thoughts are with you and your family as well!
hugs,
caitlin & the gang

A.Lincoln

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - January 09 2007 :  07:30:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
So sorry to hear about Duchess, Caitlin. My daughter-in-law had to have her 15-year-old Golden Retriever, Bailey, put down right before Christmas. She wears a little necklace with her picture on it and I suppose she will do that until she's ready to let go. Bailey was precious. However, the Wednesday following this sad event on Saturday, they got a new puppy, same breed...Jonah! A little ball of fur, fiest, and fun!

Diana, sorry to hear Delta isn't doing well. I know how you love her.

Theresa

Gadget Girl

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 09 2007 :  10:18:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Theresa - was Bailey the Mom of the pups you had custody of several years back? Didn't you keep one of them? I remember some awfully cute pics of those puppies!

GG

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 09 2007 :  12:34:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes, losing a pet is very difficult, and I give you my sympathy, too, Caitlin. I don't care what people who don't care for animals say, they just do become a part of your household and of your family. I've had to say goodbye to several through the years.

No one has addressed this, so I would like to. The last pet I had to have put to sleep, my cat Amigo, I did something I never thought I could do: I held him in my arms while he left this world. Was it easy? Absolutely not. Was it comforting? Yes, it was. It was very comforting, because I saw for myself how easy and pain free it was for him. And it comforted me to know that he died while being held by someone who loved him very much, rather than a vet's office assistant who never knew him for the wonderful, funny, loving friend that he was.

My vet was very kind. She gave him a tranquilizing shot first, even though he was not struggling at all. He was too sick, and yes, he was ready. Then she administered the lethal injection. He never moved. He just relaxed into my arms... and was gone. Both Gary and I stood there with him, while the vet left us alone, and sobbed like children.

I will never, ever go back to the old way I used to do this. I will never, ever just drop an animal off and walk away. For me, it is too cold, too uncaring, and there is no closure. I now highly encourage others to do the same. In fact, I recently encouraged a friend to be with her elderly cat, which she did. She was very glad she did.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Gadget Girl

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 09 2007 :  2:54:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I did the same thing with my cat of 13 years, Joyce. Very Very hard, but it is the way I will always do for a pet that has to be put to sleep. I was the first one he saw when his little eyes opened and the last person he saw when they were closed for the last time.

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 09 2007 :  8:13:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
WW,
I'm glad you shared your experience about that. Others encouraged my husband and I to stay with Lady when the time came, and we fully planned to. What changed our mind at the last minute was the vet telling us that sometimes, when the shot is administered, the animal might jerk and give an involuntary yelp. She assured us that it didn't mean there was pain, it was just involuntary muscle contractions, and that it doesn't happen all the time but just sometimes. We decided we couldn't bear that. If we knew it would have been peaceful we would have stayed, but that small chance... we just couldn't. We waited outside, then pulled around back to pick her up and brought her back home and buried her on the farm. The only good thing about not being in the room is that it was so quick, she was only without us for a matter of a minute or two....but I now regret not being brave enough to stay. :-( I hope she forgives me for it.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - January 09 2007 :  10:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sometimes I think that one bullet would be kinder than a trip to the vet. Hard to say.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - January 10 2007 :  07:49:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Gadget Girl

Hey Theresa - was Bailey the Mom of the pups you had custody of several years back? Didn't you keep one of them? I remember some awfully cute pics of those puppies!

GG

Hey Girlfriend! No, Bailey was not the mother to those eleven babies we had. My daughter's dog has that honor and, yes, we kept one of them, who btw, has seven pups of his own. We love our Scout! He's four years old now and is still nothing but a big ol' puppy.

Theresa

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 10 2007 :  08:09:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
But Fitz, there's always the horrible chance that one bullet won't hit its mark just right. And that would be just awful.

Stephie, please don't feel guilty! This is a choice that no one can make for you. You must know your own feelings and reactions, and this option may not be for everyone.

Of course Lady has forgiven you, because that's the way dogs are. And I hope that you will forgive me for causing you more pain. That was never my intention.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 10 2007 :  09:51:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
WW,
No nooo you didn't cause more pain. I'm glad you brought it up because I hope people will see different sides of it. I wish I had talked to more people about it beforehand because the vet's warning caught us off guard. With our discussion, people might be more prepared if they are ever faced with this. No need for you to apologize at all.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 10 2007 :  5:22:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks, Stephie.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - January 24 2007 :  10:34:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm sorry to hear it, Caitlin. You definately have everyone's sympathy. Growing up on a farm you see a lot of that but it hurst just as bad every time. I still have a picture next to my bed of my favorite kitty, Miss. Prissy. That cat was cool! She figured out how to open closed doors and turn the lights on and off (which was terrible at 3a.m. when she finally decided she wanted to eat). But I spoiled her rotten. Rhinestone collars, pink canopy bed with Princess written with fake crystals. You name it she had it. She developed intestinal cancer and we did all we could for her but I put her to sleep after a year. Still cry when I remember her. I gotta' stop now.
But you have my heartfelt sympathy. We all feel ya'.

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 24 2007 :  10:57:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Light of the Moon

I'm sorry to hear it, Caitlin. You definately have everyone's sympathy. Growing up on a farm you see a lot of that but it hurst just as bad every time. I still have a picture next to my bed of my favorite kitty, Miss. Prissy. That cat was cool! She figured out how to open closed doors and turn the lights on and off (which was terrible at 3a.m. when she finally decided she wanted to eat). But I spoiled her rotten. Rhinestone collars, pink canopy bed with Princess written with fake crystals. You name it she had it. She developed intestinal cancer and we did all we could for her but I put her to sleep after a year. Still cry when I remember her. I gotta' stop now.
But you have my heartfelt sympathy. We all feel ya'.

Thank you!

A.Lincoln

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - January 25 2007 :  12:48:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Caitlin, "I feel your pain," as someone once said. Over the years, I've lost uncounted cats & dogs, & it never hurts any less. And it doesn't matter how long you've had them (or they had you). We've hurt as much losing a cat of 16 years as losing a cat of 32 days...
  Previous Topic: Happy Birthday Caitlin!!! Topic Next Topic: What a great name!  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.55 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07