The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/5/2024 7:17:54 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICANLAND: Community
 Bunkhouse Banter!
 Remember when ....
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Twins, separated at birth? Topic Next Topic: Newcomer  

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
March 14 2005

Posted - October 26 2006 :  12:09:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Out Doors Unlimited, ...

http://www.outdoorsunlimited.net/cgi-bin/news/viewnews.cgi?id=1161739518

you can keep "The Change"
report to moderator

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 26 2006 :  3:52:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

That really made me smile.

(BTW, I always hated the smurfs!)
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - October 27 2006 :  06:33:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"If you can remember most or all of these, then you have LIVED!!!

Pass this on to anyone who may need a break from their "grown up" life."

I guess I've really lived!!!! I remember - and experienced - just about them all. Oh for the days of running around the neighborhood in the summer playing Robin Hood!!

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - October 27 2006 :  07:28:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wow!

I remember almost all those things too.

And what "good old days" they were--before kids had to have PlayStations and computer games to keep from being "bored."

Sadly, my youngest sibling (who's 19) doesn't remember most of the things from the list!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

YoungNative
Pioneer

May 19 2003

Posted - October 29 2006 :  5:17:08 PM  Show Profile  Send YoungNative an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm 19, and i remember almost all of them, or i've heard of them before.

"Re-enacting is life, the rest is just history." -me

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -M. L. King Jr.

"music is like this porthole into another world - the world of truth."
-Trey Anastasio

"you do not have to fear what goes bump in the night, when you become what lurks in the dark" - unknown

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - October 30 2006 :  07:37:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sorry, YoungNative...

No offense meant. I didn't mean that all people my sister's age don't remember these things. My sister was just one of those kids whose life revolved around TV and video games, and now it's her cell phone, which I think has been surgically attached to her ear since she was 14!

--RedFraggle

felicitysgramma
Pathfinder

USA

September 11 2006

Posted - October 30 2006 :  09:02:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit felicitysgramma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The 7:30 fire whistle. When you heard that in our town, every kid came home without a second thought. The noon whistle meant go home for lunch. And yeah, everyone stayed within yelling distance of their home. And nobody locked their doors, you could just holler in through the screen door and come in. (Though my mom was kind of put out one day when one of the drunks who frequented a bar near our house came in and fell asleep in the lounge chair in our living room.)

And speaking of fire whistles, every home had a printed list of all the fire box numbers in town so that when someone pulled the box and the fire alarm sounded, you could count the blasts and know where the fire was, get the kids out of the street before the fire trucks rolled through.

“Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.” - Benjamin Franklin

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - October 30 2006 :  09:24:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah, - when I lived in a small coastal town in Maine, the "fire whistle" blew everyday at noontime. Nice way to know what time it was, - and in the Summer, it usually startled and confused the tourists. The town only had about 620 year-round residents, maybe about 1500 during the Summer. No gas station, and one general store. Getting a hair cut was a forty three mile drive, - 'round trip, and the barber charged $5.00. ;) Amazing to watch the tourists lock up therir cars to go into the store. There hasn't been a car stolen there since 1957, - and everyone knew who didi it. Thye kid got scared about 5 miles away, and parked the car and took off.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 30 2006 :  1:14:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"A 13" black and white TV in your room meant you were RICH!"

Heavens! I go back farther than that, when having a 13" black and white TV in our Living Room (in the early '50s) meant we were rich! And having only 3 channels was all we needed!

The village I live in now still blows the noon fire whistle. Makes all the neighborhood dogs howl.

Walking 10 blocks to go downtown with my girlfriends on a Saturday to go have a chocolate coke at the corner drug store soda counter.

Going to the movies on Saturday afternoon and seeing two -- count 'em, two! -- feature films, plus cartoons, plus a news reel, plus a serial.

Playing cowboys and Indians, riding our broomstick horses down the middle of our street, because cars rarely drove down it.

Knowing that if I did something I wasn't supposed to be doing, the other neighborhood Moms were just as likely to give me the "What For" as my own Mom, and that she would support them wholeheartedly if they did.

The neighborhood morning Coffee Klatches, when the Moms (who didn't work an outside job) would congregate in each other's kitchens for coffee and gossip each day on a rotating basis.

The gas price wars that we loved because that meant the price of gas went down, instead of up. (Can you say .25 per gallon?)

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - October 30 2006 :  3:08:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
They still have the noon siren here everyday where I live. I like it as we all know what time it is. I would certainly miss it if they did away with it.

Growing up in Ireland my memories are pretty similar to those over here. In the 70's we would always go to a matinee on a Saturday and it was pretty darn cheap. We did not have a tv until I was about 5 years old and it was, you guessed it, a black and white and we always rented as most people did. We had 3 channels I believe. Later in the 80's we had a tv where you put money in a slot in the back and it played for so long before you had to put more money in. You did not want to let it run out or the tv would shut off in the middle of a show. The tv guy would come and empty the money once a week or two weeks or maybe every month, don't really recall. This was how we covered the rental. Amazing isn't it. I think it seems pretty silly now. Ever have tv's like that over here?.

We had to amuse ourselves outside playing or riding bikes. No VCR's even until we got our first when I was a teenager in the 80's. What a treat that was, rented of course.

Nice to wander down memory lane but it was very primitive looking back and I love all the gadgets we have today although my kids are spoiled with choice I think with computers and IPods and cell phones. They could never go back in time and "survive" then. They would be so bored without the PS2 and their other gadgets. They laugh when I tell them what it was like in the late 70's and 80's. Still another 20 years and the stuff they have will be kind of primitive.

IG

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - October 30 2006 :  3:27:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Come to think of it, - the Saturday afternoon matinee was $0.07 at first, then went to $0.10 - some serious inflation I'd say. When it went up to $0.12 I said I'd never go to another movie. The lowest I recall getting gas for the old convertible was $0.17 a gallon, - but it was usually a tad more, between $0.20 and $0.25. Gas station owners (not the oil compnanies) used to have "price wars" and cars would line up like crazy, - to save $0.02 a gallon. You couldn't couldn't put over $4.00 into any car if you tried.

Previous Topic: Twins, separated at birth? Topic Next Topic: Newcomer  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.3 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07