The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/6/2024 11:20:06 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MOHICANLAND: Community
 Bunkhouse Banter!
 Seamus?, Joyce? You folks fairing ok?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Happy Birthday Marc!!! Topic Next Topic: Happy Birthday, April!  

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 29 2006 :  10:11:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just checking on my friends that live near the Susquehanna (and others) river.

Let us hear from you and hopefully this flooding mess has not affected your homes!! Fortunately our flooding risk has passed with not much more than a scary river to drive over.

Thinking about you friends!!!!

GG
report to moderator

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 29 2006 :  10:41:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, my teeth aren't floating yet, so I guess that is a good sign!

To get serious, though, this is a horrible mess! Never in my getting-to-be-long life have I lived this close to a flood of this magnitude. Fortunately, my house sits fairly high above the Chenango River, even though it is only 2 blocks away from it, so I am quite high and dry.

However, there are many others who are not as fortunate as I. Hundreds of evacuees... bridges and roads washed out... two tractor trailers fell into a huge 25-foot deep washout hole on I-88 about 45 minutes north of Binghamton (a road that Seamus and I both traveled on just a few days ago on our way to and from Fort Ticonderoga!)... 3 people have died (including both of those truck drivers)... a small house came off its foundation and literally floated down the Susquehanna until it hit a bridge and broke apart... helicopters plucked people off of their rooftops in one area... several homes exploded due to gas line leaks...

Now, of course, I realize that this pales in comparison to the devastation of Hurricane Katrina last year. But when it is in your own backyard, it really brings it all home.

Thanks so much for asking, GG!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - June 29 2006 :  12:24:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
We dodged a huge bullet here, GG...thanks for asking. The West Branch of the Susquehanna was very low, about 2 feet or less in our area, so that was a major plus. Preparations were made by those who have chosen to live in the river bottom and wetlands, but were not needed to be put into action. Just to the south and east of us there was big trouble, as well as in the Wilkes-Barre area to the northeast of us. The only damages came from some small stream flooding and that was minimal. No injuries or loss of life near us.

Your concern and thoughts are very much appreciated!

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 30 2006 :  4:18:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Glad to hear you special folks did OK!!!
  Previous Topic: Happy Birthday Marc!!! Topic Next Topic: Happy Birthday, April!  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.33 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07