The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/10/2024 8:30:33 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 the book OR the movie?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Uncass Actual Weapon from LOTM Topic Next Topic: Hawkeye a pig?  

zinvor
Pioneer

Huron 2
Armenia

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2006

Posted - June 03 2006 :  10:45:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
It's not too difficult to notice that the movie pretty much differs from the Cooper's book, beginning with characters and ending with the plot.
So which one do you think is better and why - the book "The last of the mohicans" or the movie?

Choices:

the book because there are more exciting scenes and more detailed descriptions
the movie because of music and actors
the book - it's more realistic
the movie - it's more dramatic and realistic
they are too different to be compared
I love both equally

report to moderator

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - January 31 2007 :  10:11:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi, all...I was just goin' through some old threads and was surprised to find that no one ever answered this question. Here's what I have to say, but caveat lector. I go on for a while about my love of early American lit.

I love both the book and the movie equally for totally different reasons. First of all, I don't think there are many true correspondences between book and movie. The movie version takes the characters' names and a few general plot points, but is otherwise completely different. (I think we pretty much all know about the switching of Alice and Cora's roles in the movie, for one thing. Plus, Hawkeye in the book has no romantic interests, while Duncan is the true romantic hero!)

Anyhoo, I love the movie for its sweeping epic quality, the music, the costumes, the actors. For just about every reason you could think of. It's one of the few movies for which I'm hard pressed to find scenes that I don't like or would have liked to see done differently.

As for the book...well, call me weird but I absolutely love Cooper's overblown prose and super-dramatic character presentation. People are always lifting their hands to God and the heavens and weeping, women are always blushing, the romantic hero is always falling all over himself for his lady love. Example: Duncan proposes to Alice as he is rescuing her from captivity in a cave guarded by Magua in the middle of a Huron camp, and then proceeds to carry her miles to her rescue because she's simply too fragile a flower to walk!

I love it. I love the silly, overdramatic quality of just about everything in the book. Many people find Cooper boring, but I just can't put his books down whenever I read them. I'm reading The Deerslayer right now and find it highly amusing (for reasons that I won't go into right now, so anyone reading this can breathe a sigh of relief ).

Then again, I freely and willingly admit to being a huge nerd! Some of my other favorite authors? Thomas Hardy, Charles Dickens, John Steinbeck. I guess I like books that almost everybody else in the world finds boring.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 01 2007 :  11:32:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Great answer Red. I do enjoy reading your posts.

I never answered because I have never read the book but I sure loved the movie version. I loved the scenery, the music and the actors. Just the whole package was wonderful.

IG

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - February 01 2007 :  12:43:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks, IG!

If you're at all interested in reading Cooper's LOTM, I would suggest reading the Mark Twain essay "Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses" right along with it. Twain obviously didn't like Cooper's style, but the criticisms he makes highlight (with much hilarity!) the exaggerated drama and unrealistic qualities of the characters. The things Twain points out are the very things I find so entertaining about Cooper's books.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 02 2007 :  10:05:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Amazing...look at the votes and so little posts.

WEll, I do remember this one and I voted for the movie. Read the book; thought the movies was 10x better.

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!
  Previous Topic: Uncass Actual Weapon from LOTM Topic Next Topic: Hawkeye a pig?  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.34 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07