The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/9/2024 9:18:51 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 serious disagreement
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Battle Tactics Topic Next Topic: Guns of LOTM  

zinvor
Pioneer

Huron 2
Armenia

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2006

Posted - May 13 2006 :  2:18:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
was just wondering what was the point of saying "Someday you and i are going to have serious disagreement"? i mean for the film itself? was there really one? when? sounds more like a "forecast" for the scene that was cut out later...like they were supposed to have a "man to man" talk in the end of the film...
at least that's what i felt on hearing this phrase
report to moderator

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - May 13 2006 :  9:21:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think that was just Nathaniel's rather smart-alecky way of letting the Major know that he was getting more than a little irritated with him.

There was also, perhaps, a little bit of a threat there -- sort of like "you had better clean up your attitude or we may have to meet out in the back alley for a duel."

It was really, I think, a very 21st century American way of being somewhat sarcastic with someone who was being a bit disagreeable.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

zinvor
Pioneer

Huron 2
Armenia

May 13 2006

Posted - May 14 2006 :  03:35:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
yes, i think you are quiet right, especially when saying "21st century..." and may be that's what makes it sound a little "out of place" in 18th century scene.

Man is indeed like monkey - the higher he gets the more he demonstrates his a**

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - May 14 2006 :  08:25:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hmmm...been pondering this and I think they were already having a serious disagreement.

Your explanation WW makes sense.

Theresa

Emily
Colonial Settler

Cora 4
USA

January 08 2005

Posted - May 14 2006 :  3:01:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I always thought it was Nathaniels way of telling him that one of these days he was going to push that envelope a little too far and recieve a good 'ol American butt-kickin...

"It is the unknown we fear when looking upon death and darkness, nothing more."

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - May 14 2006 :  4:07:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes,I think that Hawkeye wanted to kick his ass.

Highlander

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - May 14 2006 :  4:11:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

Oops,can I say a** in Mohicanland?

Highlander

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - May 14 2006 :  9:34:35 PM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Welcome to the board zinvor!

First I think we need to determine what Hawkeye's definition of a "serious disagreement" would be. Obviously nothing that has gone before is "serious" - Duncan's incorrect assumptions that Magua is Mohawk, and that Hawkeye is militia, Duncan's interpretation to Monroe of events at Cameron's cabin - these are all disagreements they've had so far. Now Duncan is threatening to have Hawkeye beaten from the fort. The disagreements are certainly escalating in seriousness...

I think Duncan's personal threat is one step away from a "serious disagreement" in Hawkeye's mind, and Hawkeye's comment is his way of warning Duncan that he is treading on thin ice and they will come to blows if it continues.

By the way, what deleted scene do you refer to zinvor?

"You do not know what you're saying girl!"
"Yes I do, I know exactly what I am saying, and if it is sedition, then I am guilty of sedition too!"

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - May 14 2006 :  9:39:26 PM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

It was really, I think, a very 21st century American way of being somewhat sarcastic with someone who was being a bit disagreeable.

I actually thought Hawkeye's comment sounded more British than 21st century. <to be read with a British accent> "I say old fellow, someday you and I are going to have a serious disagreement."

"Yes I do, I know exactly what I am saying, and if it is sedition, then I am guilty of sedition too!"

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - May 14 2006 :  9:43:44 PM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:

Oops,can I say a** in Mohicanland?

ROFLMAO You just did Highlander!!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - May 14 2006 :  11:07:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It was obvious from the start that these two did not like each other and came from totally different worlds. It was Hawkeye's way of letting Duncan know that he did not like him and he better watch what he said and did around him

IG

zinvor
Pioneer

Huron 2
Armenia

May 13 2006

Posted - May 15 2006 :  08:29:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
i do totally agree with the comments, it's just i somehow don't like this phrase and i thought may be i was missing something essential... well i'm contended so far.
and thank you paazau for saying welcome. And as for the deleted scene there was none, i only meant that i felt like it should be (like when some Rocky/ Van Damm (?) saying "I'll get you someday, son of a bi***" and by the end of the film he indeed does, so that's why i'm glad there wasn't such a scene in this really good film)

Man is indeed like monkey - the higher he gets the more he demonstrates his a**

raindrops
Colonial Settler

United Kingdom

March 25 2006

Posted - May 15 2006 :  6:11:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello zinvor! Nice to see new "face" in Mohicanland.

Regarding your question, I think like everyone else that it was just Hawkeye's "polite" warning..
  Previous Topic: Battle Tactics Topic Next Topic: Guns of LOTM  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.44 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07