The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/10/2024 6:29:12 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Revenge
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: What are LOTM pictures worth? Topic Next Topic: Recasting
Page: of 2

Lurking Huron0704
Anonymous Guest

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 27 2002

Posted - May 12 2006 :  5:18:22 PM  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Do you think Magua got his revenge before being killed by Chingachgook and why?

Choices:

Yes
No

report to moderator

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - May 13 2006 :  08:49:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I figure he didn't ... The obvious reason is because Cora survived ... Even though he managed to cut out Col. Monro's heart, he really didn't want Alice to jump [I don't think] ...

But the main reason, I believe, his revenge was not sweet is because he did not get the "stroke" he was expecting from the Sachem. In the end, all was for naught!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - May 13 2006 :  10:08:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I too voted that he did not get his revenge. He would only have had true revenge had he killed Monro and then either killed Alice and Cora himself i.e., slitting their throats, or perhaps had he watched them die in the fire. Alice taking her own life robbed him of his revenge there. Her fate was in her own hands at the end and she choose death. Magua should have slit their throats right then and there in the cave under the Falls and his revenge would have been complete instead of trying to "win points with the Sachem". Just my take on the situation.

IG

zinvor
Pioneer

Huron 2
Armenia

May 13 2006

Posted - May 13 2006 :  1:59:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
i suppose he did. though he intended to wipe out grey hair's seed forever, he nevertheless has killed his enemy and may be even ate his heart (anyway he COULD do it). besides alice died. he did not kill her, that's right, but still its comforting... he also took revenge by cruelly killing unkas, whom he hated enough to be satisfied with the fact. thats what i think

Man is indeed like monkey - the higher he gets the more he demonstrates his a**

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - May 13 2006 :  7:21:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Zinvor and welcome to the board. I would disagree about Magua hating Uncas. Magua barely knew Uncas and certainly did not hate him. All he knew about Uncas was that he and Hawkeye and Chingy were protecting the Monro girls to the best of their abilities and had thwarted his plans earlier on in the first attack.

IG

raindrops
Colonial Settler

United Kingdom

March 25 2006

Posted - May 15 2006 :  6:45:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I noticed big support and understanding for Magua on this forum however in my opinion the whole revenge issue is rather controversial I mean - did killing all those people really make Magua feel better? He didn't look much happier afterwards - or that how it seems to me.

Even if he did feel he got his revenge, it didn't last very long. Who fights with a sword, dies from a sword..

LeyLana1462
Colonial Settler

Saxon
Australia

April 03 2006

Posted - May 15 2006 :  7:06:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit LeyLana1462's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I don't think he did either.

Alice took her own life and Cora lived.

Not only that but I felt he really didn't want to kill Uncas.

He didn't show a lot of emotion throughout the movie except hatred towards the English. But when Uncas brought the fight to Magua I felt he had no choice. Magua is a proud warrior and so to be attacked in front of his own men he really had to retaliate. I believe I saw in his face, when Uncas kept getting up and coming at him, a look of 'Why?, Why don't you stay down', and then I think when Chinganchgook attacked him it was almost a look of understanding of his anger. A look of defeat.

I don't think any form of revenge would have made Magua feel whole again.

They are all there, but one.
I, Chingachgook, Last of the Mohicans.

zinvor
Pioneer

Huron 2
Armenia

May 13 2006

Posted - May 16 2006 :  03:00:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well after getting his revenge Magua would probably feel even more empty and hollow, i also think no revenge would make his heart whole again.
as for killing Unkas and Chingachgook I think he was less understanding and interested, i don't think he really cared, killing was like breathing for him , he just wanted "to clear" his way, that's all.
Probably he did not hate Unkas in the way he hated Munro's children, but he could have asuumed his enemies' friends to be his own enemies.
I still think he partly accomplished his "black deed"

Man is indeed like monkey - the higher he gets the more he demonstrates his a**

Keira
Pathfinder

The Kiss 2

January 25 2006

Posted - May 17 2006 :  2:47:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I woted no, because he only took Colonel Munro`s live. To have his revenge he wanted to kill both of Munro`s daughters too. Alice took her own life and Cora survived..So no, I don´t think he got his revenge. He got part of it but his revenge wasn`t complete.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - May 25 2006 :  7:56:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
[quote]Originally posted by LeyLana1462

I don't think he did either.

Alice took her own life and Cora lived.

Not only that but I felt he really didn't want to kill Uncas.

He didn't show a lot of emotion throughout the movie except hatred towards the English. But when Uncas brought the fight to Magua I felt he had no choice. Magua is a proud warrior and so to be attacked in front of his own men he really had to retaliate. I believe I saw in his face, when Uncas kept getting up and coming at him, a look of 'Why?, Why don't you stay down', and then I think when Chinganchgook attacked him it was almost a look of understanding of his anger. A look of defeat.

Yeah, I have to agree. If a warrior is confronted and he runs away it looks cowardice. Can't be that way if you just left your people, cursing them as dogs, and started out to make your own tribe.
As far as his revenge, NO WAY! He didn't get it at all. He wanted Monroe and his daughters dead. Instead he got roasted Englishman, Dark-hair child of Monroe with Hawkeye, and Light-hair child Monroe as wife! POOR ALICE!
It is rather insane that he slaughtered all those people only to revenge one man. Remind me to stay away from red coats!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - May 26 2006 :  12:06:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Remind me to stay away from red coats!

Words to live by!

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - May 26 2006 :  08:18:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich nailed it. He really didn't, but it wasn't for lack of trying. He got two out of three, the Col. Monro and one daughter. When the other daughter didn't get roasted, - he was leaving.

you can keep "The Change"

nekutmeqwanoc
Pathfinder

Fascism
USA

June 10 2006

Posted - June 12 2006 :  12:34:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
well i dont think he did.he wanted to kill his children so the grey hair would know that his seed was wiped out from the earth forever.then he would kill him.he killed monroe first and ate his heart(well he said he wanted to eat his heart) but he still didnt have his daughters and didnt know if he would get them.but one jumped off the cliff and one got away.his tribe disliked him so he screwed that up.so he didnt kill any of the children and he died.so his revenge wasnt that sweet.just my opinion!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - June 15 2006 :  10:54:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
There was some discussion on the board as to whether Magua took a bite out of the dear Col.'s heart after he cut it out. Some of us thought we had seen him do this years ago when we watched LOTM. Well I think we just got two movies confused. I recently watched Dances With Wolves which I had not seen in years and after the Buffalo hunt Wind In His Hair cuts out the buffalo's heart and takes a huge bite out of it, blood dripping everywhere, then he offers it to Kevin Costner's character and he takes a bite out of it. These two masterpieces came out in the early 90's DWW in 1990 and LOTM in '92 so we must have just confused the scenes. having said that though, I still could swear I saw a version where Magua does bite a piece from the Col.'s heart. Wes said it never happened so I guess we have to believe him.

IG

nekutmeqwanoc
Pathfinder

Fascism
USA

June 10 2006

Posted - June 16 2006 :  08:22:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
i think they cut out the buffalos tongue.im not sure though.but im with you,i could swear i saw it.i have two copies of the movie,the old vhs and the new directors cut dvd!i still think i saw it,.

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - June 16 2006 :  10:56:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Maybe it was the tongue instead of the heart. Did look rather long. Thanks. Yeah maybe we dreamed up that scene.

IG

nekutmeqwanoc
Pathfinder

Fascism
USA

June 10 2006

Posted - June 16 2006 :  11:52:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
i think we must have.i fast forwarded it through the movie and it shows him holding it up and not eating it like he said he would.mabey that was too graphic for the movie?thanks

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - June 16 2006 :  2:55:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well it would have been a bit too cannibalistic I think but I for one would have enjoyed it more and to eat his enemies heart or at least a part of it, would have been great "revenge" for Magua. I guess they just did not want to go there with his character.

IG

zinvor
Pioneer

Huron 2
Armenia

May 13 2006

Posted - June 16 2006 :  2:59:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by nekutmeqwanoc

mabey that was too graphic for the movie?thanks

I'm of the same opinion. i believe i've also read about it in someone's interview but i do not remember who it was. It was said that MM was against it in order not to make Magua look too cruel. But still it could be a very exciting moment!!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - June 16 2006 :  3:10:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ah come on, I for one could have handled it. It would have been a great moment on screen.

IG

MeggieD
Colonial Settler

Megs Avatar
USA

January 23 2006

Posted - June 16 2006 :  3:30:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
that would have been nearly as cool as the blood spattering on Uncas throat at the end....sorry Irish....heehee

Uncas: "some food"

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - June 16 2006 :  3:32:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah Meg you just had to bring that up again didn't ya. My poor beloved Uncas. Make me cringe some more why don't ya heehee....

IG

zinvor
Pioneer

Huron 2
Armenia

May 13 2006

Posted - June 16 2006 :  3:55:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

Ah come on, I for one could have handled it. It would have been a great moment on screen.

That's what i meant. Magua chewing raw meat, teeth in blood and blood running down his chin, dripping to his chest... I'd love to see it.

raindrops
Colonial Settler

United Kingdom

March 25 2006

Posted - June 16 2006 :  9:39:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

Maybe it was the tongue instead of the heart. Did look rather long. Thanks. Yeah maybe we dreamed up that scene.

Don't know why but I assumed that it was liver..

nekutmeqwanoc
Pathfinder

Fascism
USA

June 10 2006

Posted - June 16 2006 :  10:30:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
i figured it was the tongue since in the movie when they came upon the dead buffalo from the hunters he said they were killed only for their tongue's and their hide.thanks

raindrops
Colonial Settler

United Kingdom

March 25 2006

Posted - June 17 2006 :  7:43:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think white hunters killed buffalos for these, not Indians..
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: What are LOTM pictures worth? Topic Next Topic: Recasting  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.58 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07