The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/9/2024 9:15:46 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 A reason to die...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Hawkeyes belt Topic Next Topic: Hawkeyes belt  

Ongewasgone
Pioneer

Gothic Guy 2
Italy

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 17 2002

Posted - September 20 2002 :  2:57:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ongewasgone's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
In your opinion, Alice tossed herself over the cliff...

Choices:

Because she felt desperate from being Magua's captive.
Because she wanted to join Uncas in death.

report to moderator

Ongewasgone
Pioneer

Gothic Guy 2
Italy

September 17 2002

Posted - September 20 2002 :  3:09:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ongewasgone's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I decided to ask your opinion, because for a long time, this question has been a real nightmare for me: when I was making my site; I had to explain a reason for Alice's suicide...But it has been really difficult for me...What do you think about the causes of her death?

report to moderator Go to Top of Page

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - September 20 2002 :  7:25:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

In your opinion, Alice tossed herself over the cliff...

Before answering, everyone should read some very interesting threads from the Old Mohican Board, circa 1998. Here's a few, there may be more.

Mann vs Cooper

A "Strong" Alice?

Re: A Strong Alice

Happy reading!

Adele
The Huggy Merchant

May 17 2002

Posted - September 21 2002 :  05:05:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Adele a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
This is always an interesting debate, and it always amazes me how different and strong opinions are on this. For me, it has always been clear.

Alice is the terrified, weak and impotent schoolgirl right upto the point before she jumps. Always relying on someone else to protect her or save her. I believe that at that moment she looks up at Magua the terror is gone....she doesnt know what has happened to Cora or Hawkeye, as far as she knows Uncas was her last hope. Just after she looks over the cliff, she is aware for the first time, that her destiny lies with herself, and she is resigned to her choice..death, rather than life alone under Magua's control. To me, that look is one of acceptance....of her situation, and her choice. To me, it comes across as strength, because she has understanding, and for the first time in her life, she is controlling the situation. I just can't see how anyone sees terror in her eyes and believes that she is desperate when she jumps...

HM

Ellie
Pioneer

mountain scene
United Kingdom

July 22 2002

Posted - September 23 2002 :  11:49:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I totally agree with Huggy!

Dark Woods
Colonial Settler

Light House
USA

May 18 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 25 2002 :  7:54:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Woods's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you Rich, for the links. I particularly enjoyed the link to the musings with the drawing of Alice

http://www.mohicanpress.com/mo06007.html

In the movie, I never get to know enough about Alice to say with any certainty why she jumps off the cliff. If the cut romance scene with Uncas had been included, it would have been credible for her to wish to join him in death, so that is how I will vote.

Ithiliana
Colonial Settler

Ithiliana
USA

November 07 2002

Posted - November 07 2002 :  09:11:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Ithiliana an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
ummmm...i personally think it was the two combined...if she was magua's captive but Uncas was still alive, or if she was with cora and hawkeye but uncas died, i dont think she would have committed suicide...
=====================================================
also, i was wondering if someone could help me...i am a "newbie" in these forums, and am confused about several things...first of all, i put in a url in my profile for a pic but it doesnt show up =(...anyone got advice?

"...and does that reason wear a striped skirt and work in the surgery?"

Vixen
Colonial Settler

Duncan

November 07 2002

Posted - November 07 2002 :  09:30:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
personally, i think that it was sort of her own little way of getting back at Magua for killing Uncas, but i dont think that she would have done it if she thought that she had anyother option....

"What are they doing to Duncan?!?"
-Cora Munro

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 07 2002 :  10:12:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
To Ithiliana... It shows up on my end!!!!

Diana

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - November 07 2002 :  12:53:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm not sure, but I suspect, that Vixen is thinking that the pic she entered in her profile is her avatar - and is looking for it in her posts. Yes?

It doesn't work that way - though it will if we upgrade. If you're looking to make that pic your avatar, send it to me via e-mail at: richfed@mohicanpress.com - I'll get you setup!

err ... make that Ithiliana!! Sorry!

Edited by - richfed on November 07 2002 12:57:07 PM

Sunshine
Pathfinder

indian warrior 2
USA

July 26 2002

Posted - November 09 2002 :  01:22:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Sunshine a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Let me just start by saying I am a hopeless or ever hopefull (depending on if you are a glass is half full or half empty type of person) romantic.

I am actually amazed that my copy of the tape still plays since there are a few scences that I have played/rewind/played zillions of times. The murder/suicide scene being one of those.

There is a look that Uncas gives Alice before his death and he slightly shakes his head. At that point he knows he has lost the fight with Magua and that he is going to die but he will do it as a man.

To me it is after that look that Uncas gives Alice that she changes. I think her choice to jump off the cliff was a clear sign of defiance towards Magua and a desire to be with Uncas.

I too would love to see the cut love scene between Uncas and Alice. Didnt Eric Schweig mention something about a puppy love type of kiss???

I think what passed between Uncas and Alice in the movie has a quite type of strength qualtiy.

Let's not forget that Alice volunteers to go back out and tend the wounded at the fort so that Cora and Duncan can have there goodbye chat.

Also why would MM show Alice and Uncas bodys at the bottom of the cliff in he was not trying to hint at a love thing between them.

morgaine
Pioneer

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - November 09 2002 :  12:22:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi, Sunshine. Yes, I agree with you. The look that Uncas gives Alice is a defining moment. These brief glimpses of the relationship between Uncas and Alice are powerful in their own way. They leave us with an intense longing in our hearts.

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - November 09 2002 :  5:30:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think she was just having a bad hair day.

~~Aim small, miss small.

Sunshine
Pathfinder

indian warrior 2
USA

July 26 2002

Posted - November 09 2002 :  11:58:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Sunshine a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Scott you should have seen my hair the first time i hiked the Skyline Trail.

Ithiliana
Colonial Settler

Ithiliana
USA

November 07 2002

Posted - November 12 2002 :  7:50:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Ithiliana an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
okies, thanks rich, that was exactly my problem, but i think its all good now.

Le Poisson Rouge Seudois du Chaos
Conspiracy of One

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

April 19 2003

Posted - May 06 2003 :  4:38:56 PM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think that all the hopeless romantics see Alice jumping for love while others see it as something else. I suppose everyone sees the movie in a different way but for me....I am a hopeless romantic so that is my choice.....she did it for love.

Ongewasgone
Pioneer

Gothic Guy 2
Italy

September 17 2002

Posted - June 15 2003 :  10:34:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ongewasgone's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, I continue to be not absolutely sure about Alice's intentions, but, any way,I see that the most part of the peope who voted agree with you chasis, so; you could be right!

Emily
Colonial Settler

Cora 4
USA

January 08 2005

Posted - June 27 2005 :  8:49:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think it's a combination of the two, plus, I think the gal just lost it.

"It is the unknown we fear when looking upon death and darkness, nothing more."

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - July 18 2005 :  11:19:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
She jumped because she loved him.

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - July 18 2005 :  4:55:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You might be right on Scott. Although one doesn't commit suicide because one sees an especially great future. Bad hair day, coupled with a lousy outlook. The real reason is though, - it was written into the script. ;)

you can keep "The Change"
  Previous Topic: Hawkeyes belt Topic Next Topic: Hawkeyes belt  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.52 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07