The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/8/2024 9:26:38 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Happy Redcoat
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: RUSSELL MEANS TOURING!! Topic Next Topic: Poor Magua
Page: of 2

Mountain Man
Colonial Settler

Mountain Man Avatar
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
March 02 2006

Posted - March 19 2006 :  12:01:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whenever I watch LOTM, I always get a kick out of the smile on this Redcoat’s face just before Magua caves his skull in, and I always have to wonder ... what was going through his mind ( aside from Magua’s tomahawk in a second ) that gave him such a joyful look on his face. Could it be that he was thinking ... “what a wonderful day to be a soldier in the British army” or maybe ... “I can’t believe I landed a part in a Michael Mann movie” or maybe... just maybe, he was thrilled to be seeing a real Indian up close for the very first time. ( Perhaps a little to close in a minute ). Well ... whatever the reason... it just seems a pity that the one soldier that genuinely seemed to be having a good time with his comrades in arms, would soon be meeting his fate by one of the baddest Hurons this side of the Ohio valley.

Magua said, understand English very well.
report to moderator

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - March 19 2006 :  12:35:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

It's a movie!It's only a movie.Any relationship with actual persons is purely coincidental.

Highlander
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - March 19 2006 :  06:41:23 AM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Man

Whenever I watch LOTM, I always get a kick out of the smile on this Redcoat’s face just before Magua caves his skull in, and I always have to wonder ... what was going through his mind ( aside from Magua’s tomahawk in a second ) that gave him such a joyful look on his face. Could it be that he was thinking ... “what a wonderful day to be a soldier in the British army” or maybe ... “I can’t believe I landed a part in a Michael Mann movie” or maybe... just maybe, he was thrilled to be seeing a real Indian up close for the very first time. ( Perhaps a little to close in a minute ). Well ... whatever the reason... it just seems a pity that the one soldier that genuinely seemed to be having a good time with his comrades in arms, would soon be meeting his fate by one of the baddest Hurons this side of the Ohio valley.

Yea, Mountain Man, him and the drummer at the very beginning of this scene. The drummer's smile looks a bit out of place to me. Weren't the soldiers supposed to be straight-faced and serious when in formation??

I've always thought the smiling soldier pictured was a little 'blooper' when I saw it, but yet again the (early) script reveals all! (what a wonderful idea it was to put that on the website... I find it fascinating to get that 'behind the scenes' info on what's happening onscreen)

REDCOAT is curious, starts to smile. What does the Huron want to say to him? When Magua is two steps away he caves in the side of the infantryman's head at the tempe with the spike end of his tomahawk and, backhanded, hacks the blade through the side of the neck of the center man in the first row.

Obviously they changed the script to "Magua grabs his musket and blows a hole in the stomach of the center man in the first row".

"You do not know what you're saying girl!"
"Yes I do, I know exactly what I am saying, and if it is sedition, then I am guilty of sedition too!"

Mountain Man
Colonial Settler

Mountain Man Avatar
USA

March 02 2006

Posted - March 19 2006 :  06:44:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

It's a movie!It's only a movie.Any relationship with actual persons is purely coincidental.

They usually put that at the end of a movie. I must have missed it.

Mountain Man
Colonial Settler

Mountain Man Avatar
USA

March 02 2006

Posted - March 19 2006 :  07:18:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by paazau
Yea, Mountain Man, him and the drummer at the very beginning of this scene. The drummer's smile looks a bit out of place to me. Weren't the soldiers supposed to be straight-faced and serious when in formation??

Yeah paazau, I get a chuckle out of that guy too. It looks like he has something in his eye...or maybe it’s the sun! As far as being straight-faced and serious...from what I have read, the average British soldier was treated no better than a slave. So you wouldn’t think they had much to smile about.

Good catch on the script. I didn’t pick that up.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 19 2006 :  08:40:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
She's good, this girl!

This guy in the pic does look rather curious. I think, had I been in his place, that would have been a look of sheer terror on my face! Magua is so totally intimidating, both in appearance and in attitude, and to have him walk past me with inches to spare... Well... let's just say that I'm not Carter!!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Lurking Huron2305
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - March 19 2006 :  3:29:40 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Maybe it's just gas.

Lurking Huron2503
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - March 19 2006 :  9:54:09 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Lurking Huron2305

Maybe it's just gas.

Oh, that is so sweet!! I've just had a baby who does smile like that when he has a little "gas problem"..
Yeah, that's a possibility..

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - March 21 2006 :  04:06:05 AM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Good catch on the script. I didn’t pick that up.
Thanks Mountain Man.
quote:
the average British soldier was treated no better than a slave. So you wouldn’t think they had much to smile about.

Must have been bein' out of doors on such a beautiful day. It is indeed a pity his day (and life) was about to be cut short.
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman
She's good, this girl!
Aw shucks. Now I'm gettin' embarrassed.. Thanks.
Shaz

"Yes I do, I know exactly what I am saying, and if it is sedition, then I am guilty of sedition too!"

Lurking Huron7109
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - March 27 2006 :  4:21:17 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The script was changed to Magua blowing a hole in his next victim, in order to gain realism. It would have taken to long to remove the tomahawk from a skull before striking next soldier. Also the smiling soldier did not see the tomahawk because it was up Maguas sleeve.

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - March 27 2006 :  5:57:24 PM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for that LurkingHuron7109. Hadn't thought about the time required to remove the tomahawk from the soldier's skull. The reason for the script change makes sense now.

Mountain Man
Colonial Settler

Mountain Man Avatar
USA

March 02 2006

Posted - March 27 2006 :  6:44:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Lurking Huron7109
[ Also the smiling soldier did not see the tomahawk because it was up Maguas sleeve.

Lurking Huron7109,

You might want to check out that scene again, Magua did not have that tomahawk up his sleeve because he had no sleeve. Here is how it reads in the script: Magua walking towards camera slid his tomahawk out from the front of his belt that girdles his waist. He lets the shaft drop into his hand. He shrugs off his blanket.

Also, the happy Redcoat ... soon to be unhappy, had plenty of time to see Magua approaching him with that tomahawk in his hand.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - March 27 2006 :  7:11:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
He lets the shaft drop into his hand.

Ah, the infamous telescoping tomahawk!

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - March 27 2006 :  8:34:43 PM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
slid his tomahawk out from the front of his belt that girdles his waist. He lets the shaft drop into his hand. He shrugs off his blanket.

That's right - it only appears as if it's come out of his 'sleeve' (blanket). Good pickup MM.
quote:
had plenty of time to see Magua approaching him with that tomahawk in his hand.

Yea, if he'd been watching Magua's hands instead of tryin' to make friends.

Mountain Man
Colonial Settler

Mountain Man Avatar
USA

March 02 2006

Posted - March 27 2006 :  9:59:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Yea, if he'd been watching Magua's hands instead of tryin' to make friends.

Yes paazau, and how could you possibly interpret this look for someone who wants to make friends.

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - March 27 2006 :  10:34:56 PM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well MM, I have to agree he doesn't look like he wants to make friends, but he sure looks like he could use a friend. What'd he have for breakfast; ground glass??

ps - you're havin' fun with that screen capturing aren't ya??

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - March 28 2006 :  6:52:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
What about the Highlanders in the movie.I'll wager that nobody can find them in their clip.

Highlander

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - March 28 2006 :  8:39:44 PM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You'd win that wager with me Highlander. Wouldn't know one unless I tripped over 'em (even then they'd have to speak before I'd know for sure!!!) Oh, unless they had their kilt on, then I'd have a pretty good suspicion they were a Highlander.

Hey did the Highlanders have their kilts on in the movie?? I didn't notice them.... If there's one thing I like better than Uncas, it's a Highlander in a kilt.

Tell us where they're hidin' and we'll happily pull them out into a picture for ya (and for me)!!!

MeggieD
Colonial Settler

Megs Avatar
USA

January 23 2006

Posted - March 28 2006 :  9:37:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
How bout Uncas in a kilt??

Uncas: "some food"

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - March 28 2006 :  9:56:13 PM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No need for one meggied, with that itty bitty breechclout he's wearin'!

If you're really desperate to see Uncas in a kilt I'll see if I can fit that into my schedule! That would call for some creative 'graphic' designing on the pc...

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - March 28 2006 :  10:04:59 PM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by MeggieD
How bout Uncas in a kilt??

How about it MM? You up for that challenge??

Mountain Man
Colonial Settler

Mountain Man Avatar
USA

March 02 2006

Posted - March 28 2006 :  10:26:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
[How about it MM? You up for that challenge??

I could probably pull it off ... but I am not about to go there!

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - March 28 2006 :  11:17:07 PM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
I could probably pull it off...

hehehehe If you did 'pull it off' you'd have a stampede on your hands!!!

Shaz

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - March 31 2006 :  8:38:56 PM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I noticed these Happy Redcoats too. What do you suppose they are smiling about?? Sharing a private joke about the fierce Indian walking in front of them perhaps???

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - March 31 2006 :  9:22:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
They were smiling at Magua's breech clout wedgie.

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 31 2006 :  11:21:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
...and that would also explain the rather pained look on Magua's face, would it not, Seamus?

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: RUSSELL MEANS TOURING!! Topic Next Topic: Poor Magua  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.61 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07