The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/12/2024 3:24:50 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Poll: Most hated British officer
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Just what we have been waiting for!! Topic Next Topic: My blistering review of the BBC version of LOTM
Page: of 2

Mountain Man
Colonial Settler

Mountain Man Avatar
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
March 02 2006

Posted - March 16 2006 :  7:52:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
It is no secret that many of the British officers & generals who came over to fight in the French & Indian war were self-serving, arrogant a-holes. Of the five portrayed in LOTM, which one did you find to be so detestable & repulsive that nothing short of being pushed off a cliff, coming down with a severe case of smallpox, being run through with a bayonet, or going one on one with Magua was too good for them? My choice would have to be the Lieutenant that first appeared at Cameron’s Cabin & later at Albany. After hearing his recruiting speech, I found him to be a really pompous SOB, who thought little of the colonists and thought of himself as God's gift to the British Crown.

Choices:

Lieutenant on horseback at Cameron's Cabin
Major Duncan Heyward
General Webb
Colonel Munro
Captain who arrests Hawkeye

Magua said, understand English very well.
report to moderator

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - March 16 2006 :  11:39:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ahhh... my favorite subject.

There needs to be a button for "All of the above"!

Vive le roi!

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

May 27 2002

Posted - March 16 2006 :  11:52:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I ordinarily vote for Duncan because I was more than glad to see the simpering twit go off to the barbecue pit, but I have to say as I've aged I tend to agree more with Mountain Man. I think they all should have met either smallpox or a war club except for Munro.

See this face? This is the face of a woman on the edge.
Whoopi Goldberg, "Jumping Jack Flash"

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - March 17 2006 :  04:59:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
In reality,the British officer was not the foppish character so often portrayed by Hollywood.I recommend the book Redcoats:The British Soldier and War in the Americas 1755-1763. If you really want to know the truth,that is.

Highlander

Mountain Man
Colonial Settler

Mountain Man Avatar
USA

March 02 2006

Posted - March 17 2006 :  06:42:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

In reality,the British officer was not the foppish character so often portrayed by Hollywood.

Who said anything about foppish?

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - March 17 2006 :  07:42:19 AM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree with Fitzhugh Williams - where's the "All of the Above (and more)" button??!! Without that choice I had to go for Duncan. He's arrogant, self-centred, more concerned with appearances than Cora's feelings ("we'll be the most marvelous couple in London..", a liar (about Cameron's cabin), a coward (he and the other Brit are in the canoes before Hawkeye et al - without Cora and Alice I might add!!). Even his actions in sacrificing himself in the fire were 'for appearances' in my opinion... silly man... if he'd let Hawkeye be bbq'd Cora might have turned to him for comfort. The other British characters certainly all deserve any/all of the suggested punishments for varous aspects of their behaviour.

As a little aside, I recall a sign I saw at the gate to an open plains zoo in Western Australia. You drive your car through various enclosures with lions, deer, giraffe etc. The sign read "Poms on Pushbikes Admitted Free". (not that I dislike Brits in general mind you - it was just funny)

"You do not know what you're saying girl!"
"Yes I do, I know exactly what I am saying, and if it is sedition, then I am guilty of sedition too!"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 17 2006 :  08:44:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by paazau
The sign read "Poms on Pushbikes Admitted Free". (not that I dislike Brits in general mind you - it was just funny)

This American needs a bit of translation, please! I get the gist of the meaning of the sign, but would like to know for sure what these apparently Australian slang words mean:

"Pom" equals... British what?
"Pushbike" equals... bicycle?

I had to go with General Webb. That man has irritated me from the first time I watched the movie, with his superior, arrogant attitude, not to mention his dishonesty. Yep. General Webb would not have been my favorite British officer.

BTW, Fran-say Fitz... you're enjoying this just a little too much!! Although I really do hate to admit it to you, General Montcalm was definitely the most likeable officer in the movie. Cutest, too.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - March 17 2006 :  09:46:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I had to go with Duncan. I just did not like this arrogant SOB. Cora was right in turning down his proposal. Who would want to be married to that pompous twit. Had she married him he would have been telling her what to do and how to behave. I think he may have tried to marry Alice instead had he not ended up in the BBQ pit. That was just stupidity on his part. He should have let Hawkeye roast and saved his own hide then he would have had Cora to himself and the competition gone. Sure she still wouldn't have wanted him though liar that he was. How could she believe anything he said to her. How could any girl love this fair haired, pale skinned, sickly looking twit. MM you know I gotta stick this in here so here it comes. Us women want a real man like none other than that tall, dark, handsome specimen of an Indian, our heroic Uncas. There I've gotten that out of my system and now I feel better.

IG

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - March 17 2006 :  11:06:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Although I really do hate to admit it to you, General Montcalm was definitely the most likeable officer in the movie. Cutest, too.

But of course! As are all Français. And when you finally do slip out of the camp of the Anglais and journey to the encampment of le Français you will see how true that is.

Put a picture of George II beside that of Louis XV. As one or our number said last summer (as the Anglais were marching past) "Our king is better looking than your king!" Then he thought about how obvious that statement was and changed it to "Our king is better looking than your queen!"

Vive le roi!

Well, it's off to fight the Brits again, this time under General Greene at Guilford Courthouse. If it ain't one war it's another!

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 17 2006 :  1:29:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzhugh Williams

But of course! As are all Français. And when you finally do slip out of the camp of the Anglais and journey to the encampment of le Français you will see how true that is.

Well, as to that... I highly doubt the truth of your words.

There is one thing I am discovering, however. <<sigh>> All Fran-say do seem to be rather thick-headed. It seems one must tell them the same thing many times over before it finally sinks through. Once again: WW will do no slipping out of her camp! There are quite enough handsome English and Provincial soldiers in her own camp to keep her quite interested.

quote:
Fitz also said,
Well, it's off to fight the Brits again, this time under General Greene at Guilford Courthouse.

Finally! You are talking sensibly! You have become a Patriot at last!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - March 17 2006 :  5:37:38 PM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Woman

quote:
The sign read "Poms on Pushbikes Admitted Free". (not that I dislike Brits in general mind you - it was just funny)

This American needs a bit of translation, please! I get the gist of the meaning of the sign, but would like to know for sure what these apparently Australian slang words mean:
"Pom" equals... British what?
"Pushbike" equals... bicycle?

Sorry WW.. Yes, Pom = British person and pushbike = bicycle.
quote:
General Montcalm was definitely the most likeable officer in the movie. Cutest, too.

I don't know about likable... he did after all, condone Magua's implied suggestion to attack the people leaving the fort.. but he's definitely the cutest officer!
Shaz

"Yes I do, I know exactly what I am saying, and if it is sedition, then I am guilty of sedition too!"

Mountain Man
Colonial Settler

Mountain Man Avatar
USA

March 02 2006

Posted - March 17 2006 :  6:55:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Although I really do hate to admit it to you, General Montcalm was definitely the most likeable officer in the movie.

I have to agree WW, not only likeable, but a pleasure to watch acting. Next to Magua, he was my second favorite actor in the movie. You know, the more I think about it, maybe Fitz has a point. I do find French women appealing.

Lurking Huron2503
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - March 17 2006 :  10:11:10 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

How could any girl love this fair haired, pale skinned, sickly looking twit.

Isn't it actually Duncan's biggest flaw? I can'thelp thinking that if he was tall, dark nad handsome you would be much more understanding of his mistakes, wouldn't you, ladies?

Well, I have to admit it myself - he is totally unattractive.. So well, life is cruel - roast him!!

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - March 18 2006 :  05:21:39 AM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Lurking Huron2503

Isn't it actually Duncan's biggest flaw? I can't help thinking that if he was tall, dark nad handsome you would be much more understanding of his mistakes, wouldn't you, ladies?

No, not at all Lurking Huron2503! Duncan's biggest flaw is that he has been brain-washed by the British military into thinking he's the greatest thing since sliced-bread, instead of developing his own ideas and thoughts.
In regards to tall, dark and handsome, I'm reminded of the tall, dark, fairly handsome British officer in "The Patriot", who kills Mel Gibson's sons. I will NEVER forgive him for killing Heath!! He's just a ........ CAD!!

Stephanie
Gathering Sachemess

Hiking Smurf Avatar
USA

June 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 18 2006 :  08:59:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Whoa what's with all the Duncan-bashing? He's not so bad, it's just the way he was brought up. And as far as looks, check him out at the begninning of the movie when he's riding in the carriage across the bridge, looking at Cora's picture. He's not so bad! He's just made to look pale and weak to contrast him with Hawkeye. Give the guy a break, didn't his bravery at the end of the movie do anything to redeem him with you all?
Tough crowd!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - March 18 2006 :  2:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sorry Steph but I call it stupidity not bravery. Being roasted for a woman who despises him is not a good idea. I think looking pale and weak comes naturally to him. I would rather spend a night with Magua than with this wimp. Duncan probably wouldn't know what to do with a woman anyway. In fact I might even choose being roasted alive rather than have to marry this English git and spend the rest of my life with him. Imagine having to look at that mug every morning. Not for me.

IG

Christina
Deerslayer

Vampire
USA

May 27 2002

Posted - March 18 2006 :  4:51:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christina's Homepage  Send Christina an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I like to think that his trip to the barbecue pit is some sort of frontier karma coming back on him for all his rude and arrogant ways!

See this face? This is the face of a woman on the edge.
Whoopi Goldberg, "Jumping Jack Flash"

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - March 19 2006 :  06:25:46 AM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Stephanie

<snip> He's not so bad, it's just the way he was brought up.

He may be ok for some, but not me!! Cora was brought up in the same sort of environment (British, military), and she has the capacity to think for herself.
quote:

And as far as looks, check him out at the begninning of the movie when he's riding in the carriage across the bridge, looking at Cora's picture. He's not so bad!

I agree there are a couple of quick snippets of moments in the movie where he 'looks ok' but you've gotta have the whole package. His attitude and behaviour just doesn't cut it with me, sorry!

quote:

Give the guy a break, didn't his bravery at the end of the movie do anything to redeem him with you all? Tough crowd!

Sorry Steph, not sure that I'd class it as bravery. I don't think his motives were that pure.

But, hey, we're all entitled to our own opinions on the movie. I respect that you see it differently from me. That's what makes the world go round - individuality!
Shaz

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - March 19 2006 :  1:45:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I voted for General Webb not only because he was a supercilious twit (and maybe a fop, too), but also because he lacked the courage to do his duty as a British officer and come to Munro's aid. Too attached to the good life in Albany, perhaps, where he could make witless jokes and be assured of a favorable response from the sycophantic junior officers and plump burghers he surrounded himself with. In real life, according to one theory I've read, Webb chose not to come to the aid of Fort William Henry because his first priority (as with McClellan in the Civil War) was to keep his army between the enemy and the capital.

paazau, I totally agree with you about the British officer in The Patriot! Jason Isaacs, who played him, is an equally loathsome villain as Lucius Malfoy in the Harry Potter movies, although as Malfoy he has long BLOND hair -- weirder, less attractive. On the other side of the moral divide, he was good as a Rangers officer in Black Hawk Down.

Bookworm

"I've gotten so fascinated with the eighteenth century, I'm going to stay there." -- David McCullough

"Nothing to it, brother." -- Barack Obama

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - March 21 2006 :  03:44:30 AM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bookworm

<snip>paazau, I totally agree with you about the British officer in The Patriot! Jason Isaacs, who played him, is an equally loathsome villain as Lucius Malfoy in the Harry Potter movies, although as Malfoy he has long BLOND hair -- weirder, less attractive. On the other side of the moral divide, he was good as a Rangers officer in Black Hawk Down.

That's where I've seen him as well! Thanks Bookworm! I'm good with faces, not with names and places... a sign of advancing years I guess. The bonde hair is very weird on him, after the dark look. I don't remember him in Black Hawk Down. I'll have to keep an eye out for him next time I watch it.

Lya Heyward
Lost in the Wilderness

Duncan
USA

March 02 2006

Posted - March 21 2006 :  12:26:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree with Stephanie. Directors and writers to make the competitor to the main character look the opposite. In Heyward's case, okay...he's not the best looking but hey give him the benefit that he still persisted for Cora even after she turned him down

I love the person I am when I'm with you

alikws
Colonial Settler

USA

October 23 2003

Posted - March 24 2006 :  4:06:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
they definatly did a good job at showing the british attitude [but i thought englands objective was to make the world....england] sums it up well, also the attitude toward the local militia planted the seeds toward loosing their empire in later years

'the more you tighten your grip tarkin, the more star systems will slip your fingers' (leia in star wars)

MeggieD
Colonial Settler

Megs Avatar
USA

January 23 2006

Posted - March 24 2006 :  7:28:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I say Webb. He is loathsome.

Uncas: "some food"

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 26 2007 :  12:13:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes, this is an old post and I'm late getting on the bandwaggon. I tossed my vote to Munro! What a jerk! Think of how many lives were lost on the frontier because of his pride and stubborness.
And it was he who ordered the arrest of Hawkeye and stirred our precious Uncas from his sleep! He was dreaming a sweet dream of me and that moron had to ruin it!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - February 26 2007 :  07:54:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sorry, lots of different, disconnected things to say! Here goes:
quote:

Pom = British person and pushbike = bicycle.

Where does "Pom" come from? Just curious.

quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

How could any girl love this fair haired, pale skinned, sickly looking twit.

We can't all be tall, dark, and handsome! I don't think Duncan is bad looking, though, nor sickly looking. He appears to have a bigger frame in general than Hawkeye or Uncas. ("Beefy," I think, was Russel Means's word to decribe him.) And it's funny: if you watch closely in scenes where Duncan and Hawkeye are standing near one another, Duncan is almost always placed on lower ground to make him appear a lot shorter. In reality I think the two actors are about the same height. But then again, I'm fair-haired and pale-skinned myself, so maybe I'm biased!

I just feel so bad for Duncan throughout the whole movie. Apparently desperately in love with a woman who could care less for him, brainwashed into thinking that duty and "making the world England" are the only things that really count, etc.

Yes, I feel bad for him when Cora rejects him (both times), and really bad when he goes off to burn in the Huron fires. Nobody really deserves that. Yech! I think his sacrifice redeems him at the end of the movie, and I think Hawkeye realizes it. I watched the movie again a few weeks ago, and noticed for the first time the long look that Hawkeye gives him after shooting him. He seems to be re-evaluating Duncan, like "Hmmm...Maybe this guy wasn't such a twit after all."

As for the original question, most arrogant British officer, my vote goes to the guy on horseback near the Cameron's cabin. I can't even begin to describe how much that guy annoys me! His voice, the way he looks, and the fact that he (literally) doesn't even get down off his high horse to talk to the settlers. Complete arrogance is written all over him. I'd say he's the most loathsome character in the movie. I wouldn't mind seeing him get tomahawked.

This post got kinda long. Sorry!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 26 2007 :  10:43:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah Red now you mention it, that guy is somewhat annoying and General Webb too.

IG
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Just what we have been waiting for!! Topic Next Topic: My blistering review of the BBC version of LOTM  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.5 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07