The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/8/2024 4:26:11 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Who killed the guard?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Watching Region 2 DVD on computer Topic Next Topic: Did I imagine Charlie?  

MeggieD
Colonial Settler

Megs Avatar
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
January 23 2006

Posted - January 23 2006 :  2:16:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the second massacre, who killed the guard? You see Nathaniel unlocking his wrist irons over the guards dead body....Who killed the guard?

Uncas: "some food"
report to moderator

MeggieD
Colonial Settler

Megs Avatar
USA

January 23 2006

Posted - January 23 2006 :  3:10:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Was it the attackers, Uncas, Nathaniel himself in the confusion?? Just wanting to get other opinions.....

report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 23 2006 :  6:01:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, I just always sort of assumed that the guard was killed by enemy fire. Guess I never really thought about that too much.

Thanks! It's always nice to have a "new" moment in the film to ponder.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - January 25 2006 :  2:19:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
He did it himself! The strain was more than he could bear! LOL

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

MeggieD
Colonial Settler

Megs Avatar
USA

January 23 2006

Posted - February 14 2006 :  3:53:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Irish, what do you think???

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - February 14 2006 :  4:20:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If I were a betting man,I'd say it was the Indians.Our hero would never do such a thing to the Provost.

Highlander

MeggieD
Colonial Settler

Megs Avatar
USA

January 23 2006

Posted - February 14 2006 :  4:27:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's my first instinct too. I thought maybe Ching or Uncas could have done it, but only if he was threatening Nathaniel's life.

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 14 2006 :  4:53:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think it was the enemy fire that killed the Guard. Uncas or his father would knock the Guard out perhaps but definitely not kill him.

IG

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - February 14 2006 :  9:00:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I read a draft of the script (whether the final version or an earlier one, I don't recall) which suggested that the viewer knows, just from the expressions on the faces of Chingachgook and Uncas, that Nathaniel is not going to be a prisoner for very long. What's implied by that suggestion is open to debate, but given the disgust felt by Chingachgook and Uncas at the English arrogance toward the colonials, not to mention the obvious injustice of Nathaniel's imprisonment, I don't think there is any limit to what they would be willing to do to set Nathaniel free.

Bookworm

"I've gotten so fascinated with the eighteenth century, I'm going to stay there." -- David McCullough

"Nothing to it, brother." -- Barack Obama

MeggieD
Colonial Settler

Megs Avatar
USA

January 23 2006

Posted - February 14 2006 :  9:29:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks Bookworm. Even though I figured it was enemy fire I wouldn't have put it past them to take matters into their own hands

Mountain Man
Colonial Settler

Mountain Man Avatar
USA

March 02 2006

Posted - March 02 2006 :  7:54:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Maybe he just fainted from all the excitement.
quote:
Originally posted by MeggieD

In the second massacre, who killed the guard? You see Nathaniel unlocking his wrist irons over the guards dead body....Who killed the guard?

Magua said, understand English very well.

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - March 18 2006 :  05:02:16 AM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by MeggieD

Hi MeggieD,
Hope this thread isn't too old to put my thoughts into it....
I remembered something in the "illustrated script" and just went back and checked it. It says:
"Chingachgook and Uncas move next to the Sergeant with
the shackle keys who looks at them curiously as..." <snip>
"The Sergeant is rising from the ground where Chingachgook knocked him." (this is on pg 27 of the pdf script)
In re-watching the movie(hey, any excuse to see more of Uncas) , I noticed you do indeed see the guard start to raise himself up as our three heroes run off.
Shaz

"You do not know what you're saying girl!"
"Yes I do, I know exactly what I am saying, and if it is sedition, then I am guilty of sedition too!"

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 18 2006 :  11:04:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wow! And I thought I had noticed every tiny nuance of this movie. I guess I haven't.

Great find, Paazau! You've done it again. And I think this question has now been answered.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

MeggieD
Colonial Settler

Megs Avatar
USA

January 23 2006

Posted - March 19 2006 :  6:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well that explains it. Thanks!

Previous Topic: Watching Region 2 DVD on computer Topic Next Topic: Did I imagine Charlie?  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.38 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07