The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/5/2024 1:26:10 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Inside the Longhouse
 Exellent article about Wes Studi
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Blog about NA celebs and issues Topic Next Topic: Artists sketch of a Native American shield  

Carter
Colonial Militia

Tiger
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
August 28 2003

Donating Member

Posted - January 22 2006 :  7:10:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arts/Life > a&e today Face of a Nation

Wes Studi once again takes command of the screen as a Native American warrior in 'The New World'
By Michael Sragow
Sun Movie Critic
Originally published January 22, 2006
Robert Redford once called Wes Studi "our greatest living actor." You may not be able to match his face to his name or know how to pronounce it (like "Stoo-dee"). But if you've seen the best frontier movies of the last 15 years - Walter Hill's Geronimo: An American Legend (1993), Michael Mann's The Last of the Mohicans (1992) - and the most popular and honored one of them all, Kevin Costner's Dances With Wolves (1990), you've watched Studi take command of the screen as Native American warriors who are at once intelligent and unappeasable.

After a spate of TV work and small films, he returns to major motion pictures as Opechancanough, the bellicose, hyper-observant battle chief of the Powhatan tribes, in The New World, Terrence Malick's recently opened version of the John Smith-Pocahontas story.

He acts with the muscles of his torso, with each fleeting glance of his laser-like eyes and with every millimeter of his long face and flinty profile. And he once again incinerates the screen.

Born in Oklahoma, in the Cherokee Nation, this veteran of Vietnam and the American Indian Movement amassed a wealth of real-life experiences before becoming an actor. He's been everything from a dry-cleaner to a columnist for a Cherokee newspaper. For years, he bred and brokered horses. He's taught Cherokee and written Cherokee-English children's books and composed a play and directed a short film. And, in 16 years of acting in movies, he's won a reputation as a consummate professional with a nonpareil talent for capturing character in motion.

Performers with this diversity of experience don't often break into contemporary film. Studi has landed in the great tradition of performers from Clark Gable to Sidney Poitier to Steve McQueen who filter fresh American attitudes through their own hard-won, often idiosyncratic art.

For the role of Magua, the renegade Huron in The Last of the Mohicans, he cut his hair in a cross between a Mohawk and a mullet and made himself a smoking dry-ice image of accusation and condemnation. He took what could have been a cliche of the bloodthirsty Indian and turned him into a modern leader with a keen sense of his own brutality.

For decades, stock movie Indians have been scarily stoic and enigmatic. But Studi's Magua projected a force that was equal parts primal emotion and ruthless intellect. He transformed acts of violence into proclamations. Holding a British officer under the knife, he said, "Grey Hair, I will cut your heart from your living chest in front of your eyes. As you die, know that I will put under the knife your children and wipe your seed from this earth forever."

Righteous violence

Magua acts in an appallingly cruel way. Studi, though, is unapologetic: The character he plays has been wronged and considers his violence righteous.

"I played Magua as the good guy," Studi says, over the phone from Santa Fe, N.M. "You have to put yourself in his situation: He was a professional soldier in a war. He wasn't just a fighter. He was trying to manipulate the people engaged in the war."

That's the key to Studi's portrayals of Indian leaders. No matter how outrageous their deeds, he goes beyond simple heroism or villainy to forge visionary men of action. With a lyrical, audiovisual terseness - no muscle flexed without necessity, no line shouted without warning - his very being seems to declare: "By any means necessary."

Studi's Geronimo rides into Hill's movie on a white horse. No actor has ever been more centered on that animal or sat straighter in the saddle. The synchronicity of steed and rider conjures an effect more magical and potent than the gallops and gambols of any fairy-tale centaur. Studi is 5 feet 11 inches tall, but onscreen as Geronimo he seems huge
report to moderator

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 22 2006 :  7:58:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That is an awesome article! I don't know how that guy came up with the words to describe Wes's acting so well. But he sure hit the nail right on the head.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

caitlin
Bumppos Tavern Patron

MMBrand
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 23 2006 :  12:40:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit caitlin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you for the article, Carter. That was very interesting!

Jack McCall: "Should we shake hands or something, relieve the atmosphere. I mean how stupid do you think I am?"
Wild Bill Hickok: "I don't know, I just met you."

"A nation with no regard to it's past will have little future worth remembering."
A.Lincoln

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Blog about NA celebs and issues Topic Next Topic: Artists sketch of a Native American shield  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.31 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07