The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/5/2024 9:30:08 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Inside the Longhouse
 Interesting Native American Art
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Artists sketch of a Native American shield Topic Next Topic: Navajo Tribe Considering Charges Against Russell Means  

Dark Woods
Colonial Settler

Light House
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 18 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 12 2005 :  3:12:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Woods's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fellow Mohicanites:

I came upon the following website of an artistic couple who live in the Pacific Northwest. The Aboriginals by Kate art http://aboriginalsbykate.com/index.html incorporates Native American themes and old time techniques. I like it!

Dark Woods

We become what we think about.
report to moderator

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - November 13 2005 :  09:50:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Better than interesting ... that stuff is beautiful!!!!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

proud mutt
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

November 13 2005

Posted - November 15 2005 :  11:44:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit proud mutt's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
thank you so much. ALWAYS glad to have anyone visit our site.

even tho it isn't finished - we hope to be able to get it off the back burner and get it completed, and of course commercially viable - before too many more moons pass us by.

also,by John's having posted it here, it got me introduced to this totally intereting site. thank you for that as well.

now i am off to try to learn how to navigate the posts. i am having a hard time finding the catagories. the discussion on winkler sheaths is...where?

hard to be a computer dyslexic and get anywhere, proud mutt

proud mutt
www.aboriginalsbykate.com

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 15 2005 :  11:51:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
WELCOME Kate!! Your artwork is wonderful!

This site is massive, and FULL of information. I find it easiest to navigate the site from the homepage, when not in the message board area. You might try the category links at the bottom of the page helpful as well!

Glad you found us!

GG

Dark Woods
Colonial Settler

Light House
USA

May 18 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 18 2005 :  4:32:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Woods's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Kate,

I think it would be interesting for you to provide us with a summary of some of the artistic elements that go into your work. For example, is your art eclectic, or is your inspiration drawn primarily from a particular tribe or time period?

John AKA Dark Woods

We become what we think about.

proud mutt
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

November 13 2005

Posted - November 27 2005 :  10:43:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit proud mutt's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
well there is a lesson for me. i just typed a long winded thank you and a reply to dark woods, but forgot to put in my user name and pass word and so it all disappeared.

shucky darns.

proud mutt

proud mutt
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

November 13 2005

Posted - November 27 2005 :  11:17:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit proud mutt's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
thanx for the hint GG. i need all the help i can get.

i haven't yet had time to really get into the site. i particularly look forward to the photos.

as to my own art, it is totally eclectic. i study ravenously primitive art, from any era and any country. i am heavily influenced by the totemic art (and MASKS) of the NW, and the carvings of the Inuit - WOW!

every piece i create, tho, is a product of my own peculiar mind. i never intend to plagerize and i never represent or mis-represent anybody.

i was pushed into doing my own rawhide as the guage of string i needed wasn't available. i learned that to get it the way i wanted, i would do it myself. for scabbard work it's of course very important to have the strength and the guage that fits the size of the piece-after all i am not making saddles. (HAH!)

my guiding force is to do as much as possible with primitive technology. i believe the more of this that can be preserved and passed down, the better for us all.

i work without machines as much as i can. to be in business i cannot always spend all the time i want on a piece. but i put individual attn. into each piece, work by-hand a lot, and am always studying the primitive methodologies.

there is no greater reward than to feel the "fluff" come into your first brain-cured buckskin.

i have co-worked this heavier labor with my husband and partner John as i don't have the strength and stamina to do it alone. so,he also has been bitten by the bug!

thank you all for your kind comments.

proud mutt
  Previous Topic: Artists sketch of a Native American shield Topic Next Topic: Navajo Tribe Considering Charges Against Russell Means  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.34 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07