The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
9/30/2024 5:26:38 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 Kentucky rifle
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Fort Detroit Under Siege:  1763 Topic Next Topic: Canvas leggins?  

deerslayer
Pathfinder

Hawkeye 3

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 02 2005

Posted - October 03 2005 :  6:33:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey I am new at the reenacting thing and am looking for a rifle.I don't have much money and cannot get much money.I found this rifle by traditions http://www.possibleshop.com/kentuc-rifle.htm it is the one at the bottom of the page.Do you think this would be good for longhunter reenacting.

May your aim be true and your powder stay dry.
report to moderator

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - October 04 2005 :  01:21:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If by longhunter you mean the period of the 1760's to 1780's, then the style of all of these guns would be much too late. All seek to replicate guns of the early 19th century. Some juried 18th century events specifically prohibit this style. Also, you may not find the flint Traditions a reliable shooter. L&R makes a replacement lock which helps, but it costs around $100 and requires some work to install. The precussion gun shoots OK.

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

alikws
Colonial Settler

USA

October 23 2003

Posted - October 04 2005 :  3:36:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
also if you look close, it's a 2 piece stock, joined at the thin brass band... also quite short... about the sise of a modern shotgun... somthing like that in percussion can get you into black powder shooting, but if reenacting/trekking is where you want to be, find a group that matches your interest, then books then clothing next, a rifle or musket is the expensive item, best done last and careful...

if you want a cheap shooter, a 1970's cva mountain rifle with an l&r lock can be a tack driver, a traditions lancaster/pennsilvania flinter with an l&r lock can be pretty, and reliable, although a little late... nail down the time and impression first...

a type-d french trade gun {.62, smooth) can get you by in almost any non-military impression, and would run you about $800

deerslayer
Pathfinder

Hawkeye 3

October 02 2005

Posted - October 04 2005 :  5:04:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I thank you guys alot.I have been into black powder for awhile but just now got into the longhunter impression.I am wanting to do around the 1760's period I am going to be doing mostly trekking but I want it to be historicaly accurate.I am hoping to get into the reenacting thing later.I just saw these would they be correct http://www.possibleshop.com/frontier-rifle.htm .They aren't as cheap as that other one but maybe I could try to scrape up enough for one of them.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - October 04 2005 :  5:40:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Despite what the web page may say, the styles of guns pictured date to the early 19th century. In fact, the earliest rifle that can actually be dated is one from 1761. Now we know that Germanic rifles were found earlier, but they are a style all their own. The safest thing to get and still have a rifle would be an early Virginia or James River style, or maybe one of the early Pennsylvania styles. These would have a wide, flat butt plate and usually a large lock. Alikws had some good advice. Wait a while on the gun and see which one you really want. And the "D" trade gun is a fine choice. I have one and up to 50 yds. it's just as accurate as my rifle, and easier to carry in the woods.

deerslayer
Pathfinder

Hawkeye 3

October 02 2005

Posted - October 04 2005 :  7:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think I will do like you guys said.Buy my outfit first and do more research on guns of the period.

alikws
Colonial Settler

USA

October 23 2003

Posted - October 05 2005 :  09:44:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
just to get a look at whats out there, check out http://www.trackofthewolf.com - the guns for sale are mostly customs and higher end kits, so don't get sticker shock, but styles and descriptions are there...

for trekking i carry a dutch bellied trade gun {1625-1675 era, .62 smooth)... for some events i carry a canoe gun {modified shortened bess}, but you find yourself staring down your own barrel a bit too often...

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - October 05 2005 :  10:35:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
A word about Track of the Wolf. They charge a very significant fee for selling the guns on their web site, and it is reflected in the prices you will see. You can get guns of similar quality much cheaper from other sources. Track's advantage is that they offer custom guns with no waiting period, and the guns they sell may be a little difficult to obtain in a timely manner from custom builders. Also, take a look at this web site, but you should know that straight barrels (that is, barrels which are not swamped or tapered) did not appear until the 19th century. Some of the guns have straight barrels, as in those using most Green Mountain barrels, and this does not bother many people. They figure that with an accurate, custom made stock they are still a long way ahead of the production guns.

http://www.waynezurl.com/

deerslayer
Pathfinder

Hawkeye 3

October 02 2005

Posted - October 05 2005 :  6:05:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Great news guys I just found out that less than ten minutes away from where I live is a guy that builds muzzel loaders.His name is Matt Arance of Tennesse Valley Muzzeloading Inc.I don't know how I didn't know about him.This is great I think I am about to call him and get a price idea.

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - October 05 2005 :  11:45:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Matt Avance is one of the best. Have you ever looked at the TVM website?

http://www.avsia.com/tvm/

Decide what period of time you want to portray. The Early Lancaster is good for late 1770's and the Virginia for the late 1760's. He does use straight barrels, which are 19th century. If you want an early gun, then the wood patchbox, or a plain stock with no patchbox, would be correct. Of course, this is oversimplifying the whole gun thing.

As long as you are looking at guns, take a look at Jim Chambers' kits. He does not sell completed guns, only kits, but you can get an idea what a gun of the 1760's should look like.

http://www.flintlocks.com/

And another site whose guns are cast from the originals.

http://www.therifleshoppe.com/Catalog.htm

Stryker16
Pathfinder

USA

October 06 2005

Posted - October 06 2005 :  07:27:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree with Mr Williams, Matt and Toni are two fine people and were great to work with when I ordered a rifle from them. You can actually get swamped barrels from them, it is an upgrade and does cost a little more, but the price of their rifles are very competetive to other gunmakers. If you want to do something from the F&I period then the Virginia or the Jaeger would be fine for a rifle, or if you want a smoothbore the Fowler or Tulle would be correct. Even if you were do do something in a later period, early rifles would be fine as they were passed down thru families for generations.

Also Matt will leave the rifle in the white for you. Basically it's put together and ready to shoot, you just have to sand, stain and seal the stock and either brown, blue or polish the barrel and polish the brass which is sand cast. Not the easiest to polish. It saves about hundred bucks but keep in mind you'll need to buy the stain, sealer and browning. I did that and to be honest, from a time perspective it would have been cheaper to let Matt finish it.

Mark

Lord, Make Me Fast and Accurate

deerslayer
Pathfinder

Hawkeye 3

October 02 2005

Posted - October 06 2005 :  9:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I also found this place http://www.longrifles-pr.com/stockscomponents.shtml are they reputable.I know they only sell in kit form but I think I could put one together.Which one of there guns would be correct for around 1760 or earlier.I have narrowed it down to probally TVM or these guys.Also I found a place I can buy stuff to start my outfit it is just downtown it is called C and D Jarnagin Company.They sell wares clothing and wares from 1750 to 1865 http://www.jarnaginco.com/.Its weird what all is such close by that I never new about.

deerslayer
Pathfinder

Hawkeye 3

October 02 2005

Posted - October 07 2005 :  9:03:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I went to TVM this afternoon.Matt is a realy nice guy he showed me the kind of gun that would fit the time period I am lookin for.He also invited to me to a rendevous the 21st-23rd of this month just a little ways from where I live.I already have made arrangments to go.His wife sells and makes clothing for many different time periods I think I will buy from her.I will have to wait on the gun for now.He has orders up to his ears.He does have a few rifles for sale that are already made though.

Stryker16
Pathfinder

USA

October 06 2005

Posted - October 07 2005 :  9:13:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Pecatonica makes some mighty fine stocks. I understand from a gunbuilder, they make a lot of the stocks for Track of the Wolf and for Muzzle Loaders Builders Supply. For a rifle, their Early Virginia, Transitional Kentucky or Jaeger would be appropriate. For a smoothy their Tulle or Early fowler would be fine. Their defination of a kit is probably a lot different than yours. These are not kits that all you have to do is brown or polish the barrel, sand and stain the wood like a Thompson/Center. These kits, including the ones marked 98% inlet, will require work. A buddy of mine who builds them as a hobby says it takes him anywhere from 20 to 30 hours to complete a basic rifle. Their website says "It would take roughly 50-60 hours for a person with average experience to complete one." I ordered their T/C for stock to upgrade my hunting rifle. It's 98% inlet, but it still took me about 30 hours work. That said they're a great company and I plan on ordering the stuff to make a Virginia this winter. Also don't forget about the expense of tools you're going to be buying including probably one of the many "how to build a rifle book". I have 3 of them. If your lacking experience I would go with Matt.

Mark

deerslayer
Pathfinder

Hawkeye 3

October 02 2005

Posted - October 09 2005 :  9:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The most experince I have with wood working is that I have made a few self bows for myself so that may not be the way to go.Matt sells in kit form and it is kinda cheap only $550.He lives so close if I got in any trouble I could just go talk to him.I am going to that rendevous the 21st-23rd of this month and they will be having shooting matches.Matt said there will be a trail shooting where you are required to shoot out of your bag.I was wandering what would be a period correct way to carry patches.Also how did the longhunters carry there blanket I have heard of the tump line thing but I don't need to put anything in my blanket every thing I need fits in my haversack.

Stryker16
Pathfinder

USA

October 06 2005

Posted - October 10 2005 :  09:57:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've not seen Matt's kits so I couldn't comment. I do know building a rifle and tillering a bow are two different types of woodwork. If you're comfortable, go for it. I would recommend you pick up a "how to book" on the subject. Peter Alexander has one and The Art of building the Pennslyvania Longrifle is another good source.

As to patches, I carry a strip of linen on the strap of my possibles bag. Right where the stap crosses the center of my chest. It's pre-greased with lard and about 4-5 inches long. Enough material for about 5-6 shots.

Mark

Stryker16
Pathfinder

USA

October 06 2005

Posted - October 10 2005 :  8:48:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Here's a couple of pics of mine. It's an early Virginia that the style would have been made from about 1740 - 1780 plus or minus. But even could be used beyond that for re-enactment purposes. A buddy of mine is a confederate civil war re-enactor and uses a Southern poor boy for the early battles when the rebs showed up with their own rifles.

Image Insert:

49.78 KB

Image Insert:

65.01 KB

Mark

deerslayer
Pathfinder

Hawkeye 3

October 02 2005

Posted - October 13 2005 :  10:31:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info thats a nice realy nice rifle.I went and talked to matt about the kit he said that it is alot of work to put one together.He said I could count on it being a winter long project.

deerslayer
Pathfinder

Hawkeye 3

October 02 2005

Posted - October 27 2005 :  10:23:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I finally orderderd my rifle from Matt.It will be an 50cal. early virginian with a queen anne lock, swamed barrel and wood patch box in plain maple with steel furniture.He has so many orders that it will take about a year to complete it I can't wait.But alas I must.

Stryker16
Pathfinder

USA

October 06 2005

Posted - October 28 2005 :  09:36:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by deerslayer

I finally orderderd my rifle from Matt.It will be an 50cal. early virginian with a queen anne lock, swamed barrel and wood patch box in plain maple with steel furniture.He has so many orders that it will take about a year to complete it I can't wait.But alas I must.

When I ordered from Matt a couple of years ago the time frame was about 8 months. He got it to me in 6 months. The other times I went through custom builders it was 18 months and 20 months respectively, with lots of excuses.

Mark

Previous Topic: Fort Detroit Under Siege:  1763 Topic Next Topic: Canvas leggins?  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.55 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07