The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/9/2024 1:24:59 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Why didn't Uncas wait?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: What if Uncas and Alice have lived? Topic Next Topic: Uncas and Alice  

kdragonrose
Pathfinder

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 04 2005

Posted - September 04 2005 :  1:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Send kdragonrose an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Love the dialogue about why Alice jumped. Great theories, but this question has been bugging me for a while:

In the final few moments of the scene in the Huron village. We see Chingatchgook and Uncas waiting in the woods as Nathanial and Cora return. Uncas places a hand on Chingatchgook's shoulder and then takes off by himself. Had he waited a few more moments, Nathanial, and Chingatchgook could have gone with him to rescue Alice. Had they gone together, they could have easily defeated Magua's band of Hurons, rescued Alice and lived happily ever after.

Uncas seems like such a knowledgable warrior, why did he do something so foolish? It wasn't as if Magua's band were traveling very fast, nor were he, Nathanial and Chingatchgook that far away. What difference would a few moments of waiting have made?

I know Uncas kind of 'has' to die, but I think it would have been more realistic had he been killed as the three of them fought the Hurons, rather than he do something so foolhardy. And why the heck did Chingatchgook let him go running off by himself?

This has never quite sat right with me based on what we know of the Uncas character. I suppose it's plausible Uncas could have underestimated Magua's skills as a warrior, but given the fact the three of them have been butting heads with Magua for the entire film, I find this difficult to believe.

I suppose it's also plausible that he wanted to "be the hero" and save Alice. I find this even harder to believe than the first idea. At this point, he's saved Alice numerous times.

I also suppose it could have just been a matter of too much testosterone. We know from reading the script on this webpage (big thank-you to those who supplied it) that he and Alice had quite the "hot and heavy" make-out session right before all this, even though it's not shown in the film. Could he have let his hormones get the better of him?

So why do you think Uncas took off on his own?

A) Too much testosterone
B) He underestimated Magua's skills as a warrior
C) Wanted to be a hero for Alice
D)none of the above

"How do you define 'normal'?" ~Fox Mulder: The X-Files
report to moderator

Emily
Colonial Settler

Cora 4
USA

January 08 2005

Posted - September 04 2005 :  8:12:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ha ha!!! Excellent point! Never thought of that one! I don't know. A, testosterone, would be my guess though. That tends to be a widespread problem with the guys 'round here.

"It is the unknown we fear when looking upon death and darkness, nothing more."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Chris
Colonial Settler

Hawkeye II
USA

May 25 2002

Posted - September 04 2005 :  8:49:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'm afraid I vote for testosterone too. Funny what that stuff does to guys.

Emily
Colonial Settler

Cora 4
USA

January 08 2005

Posted - September 05 2005 :  2:18:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ooops. I didn't mean like the guys on the board! I mean like around my house. My bad. Sorry guys.

Ever had one of those days?

micha74b
Pathfinder

Aquarius
USA

July 14 2005

Posted - September 05 2005 :  11:20:21 PM  Show Profile  Send micha74b an AOL message  Send micha74b a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
a) testosterone. First I asked myself the same thing: why the heck did Chingatchgook let him go running off by himself? It is like I am blaming him too. Maybe Uncas thougth that Magua would kill Alice as soon as they left the village because Magua was trying to have the girls killed the entire time. I also think that Uncas felt it was his responsiblity to save Alice because of what he was feeling for her. He looked at his father like he was trying to tell him he had to do this and his father understood. I can still cry my eyes out over his death
I know there are people in here that do not believe that Uncas was in love with Alice (see Uncas and Alice forum). But why did he go after her head over heels?

Michaela

kdragonrose
Pathfinder

September 04 2005

Posted - September 06 2005 :  12:23:16 AM  Show Profile  Send kdragonrose an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Just watched the DVD version of LOTM.(until now I only had the DVD version) I must say I'm still at a loss as to why Uncas would go off by himself, but I thought of another possibility.

Uncas is the only "pure blood" son of Chingatchgook. Maybe he thought his father would disapprove of his taking a white wife. At John Cameron's cabin on the DVD, Nathaniel talks about finding Uncas a "Delaware-speaking woman who will say 'he is the one' and bear him many children." I also noticed that when Nathaniel and Cora return to where Uncas and Chingatchgook were hiding, Chingatchgook was no longer there. Perhaps Chingatchgook didn't realize where Uncas went off to.

If you read the script, when they're hiding in the burial ground. Uncas goes to Alice and covers her mouth, then tries to comfort her. There's a bit of an exchange of looks between the two of them. It says "Chingatchgook sees them and does not approve" or something of that nature.

Based on the DVD, I will have to change my answer to a combination of testosterone, and the possibility that Uncas thought his father would not help him save Alice. (doesn't want his only Mohican son marrying a white woman) Back then, there was as much of a stigma about Indians marrying whites among the Indians as there was among the whites. It's ok for Nathaniel to hook up with Cora, they're both white.

(I know, I changed my vote, just call me a politition)

Lurking Huron2001
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - September 09 2005 :  11:42:50 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

I think Uncas did not wait because he loved Alice and could not wait. If it were Hawkeye instead and Cora being led away, would he have hesitated?

Oh, and also, because Uncas had to die.

Lurking Huron6172
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - September 12 2005 :  11:13:59 AM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It was out of honor. If he couldn't defend the woman he loved then he would be considered useless. In the native american cultures (in the 1700's) men had to prove themselves and women chose who they married. So the men developed themselves into warriors, hunters, elders, chiefs, shamans and the list goes on and on.
If he had his brother and father assist him it would speak harshly against his abilities as a warrior.
Secondly Ching. and Hawkeye held the huron at gun point so they had the opportunity to help him. To do so well would disgrace our beloved Uncas right in front of the Huron and Alice!

Here's to our fallen warrior

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - September 12 2005 :  11:15:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
OOPS! The above post was from me! Sorry all!
And yes Emily I am having one of those days too!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

kdragonrose
Pathfinder

September 04 2005

Posted - September 13 2005 :  12:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Send kdragonrose an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Light of the Moon

OOPS! The above post was from me! Sorry all!
And yes Emily I am having one of those days too!

You know, I NEVER thought of that! That's why I love all of you! You come up with all these awesome ideas! And I never knew they had to "prove" themselves to the women they want to marry!

Beseder
Lost in the Wilderness

September 14 2005

Posted - September 14 2005 :  9:38:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Uncas knows that Magwa's intent is to kill Alice cruelly as soon as he chooses-- and that could be at any moment. Uncas is drawn to Alice-- he has a compassionate heart which we sense in the few things he says--and he chooses Alice over any more practical choice of a "Delaware" woman as his wife-- even as Nathaniel has also made an improbable choice. Love transcends culture and self-interest. It is courageous in the face of danger. So Uncas runs on ahead...before Magwa's bitterness can result in another fruitless death.

For the record, this is one of maybe three movies where the movie is really much better than the book.

Beseder

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 16 2005 :  10:00:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Very well said! You show good sensitivity and insight.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Beseder
Lost in the Wilderness

September 14 2005

Posted - September 18 2005 :  4:04:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you, Wilderness Woman. I've watched the movie at least 26 times in the past five years.

When I talk about Romanticism with my American literature students, sometimes I use Nathaniel as the archetype of the Romantic hero.. and no, I tell them, Romanticism is not all about kissing. :)

Beseder

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 18 2005 :  9:03:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Beseder
For the record, this is one of maybe three movies where the movie is really much better than the book.

...and knowing, now, that you are a teacher of American Lit. makes this particular statement even more agreeable!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - September 20 2005 :  6:48:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Now I am ashamed for getting something wrong in my previous post. As much of a LOTM buff as I am I should have remembered this better. But like I said I was having one of those days!
-Ching was not holding the Huron at gunpoint when Uncas fought for Alice because he was running aroud the side of a rock and saw Uncas fall!
And Nathaniel was running up behind him because he covered his daddy's back so Ching. could take revenge!
All the same He fought for honor! WOO-HOO! What a man!!!!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Emily
Colonial Settler

Cora 4
USA

January 08 2005

Posted - September 21 2005 :  5:45:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Speaking of that scene and those rocks, I was watching my dvd a couple of days ago and noticed something. When Hawkeye runs out, you know, right after Uncas falls, his right elbow hits the rock beside him and it jiggles like a piece of canvas or cardboard. Just wondering if anyone else had seen this. I know, I know, I have too much time on my hands.
Anyway, back to topic........

cuthron
Pathfinder

Huron
Finland

July 27 2005

Posted - October 19 2005 :  3:50:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
All I have to say for this that guys who are in love dont act reasonably. I have experienced it myself and I think that it was quite same in 18th century. That is shortly my opinion.

Harri

Stryker16
Pathfinder

USA

October 06 2005

Posted - October 20 2005 :  09:31:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Beseder

Uncas knows that Magwa's intent is to kill Alice cruelly as soon as he chooses-- and that could be at any moment.

I think if Magua was going to kill Alice, he would wait until he got to the "Hurons of the north" to dispatch Alice so the rest of the tribe could participate and give Magua the kudo's. At this point he may not even kill her since his orignal plan was foiled by Hawkeye and Cora was sparred. He might make her a slave and have her spend the rest of her life that way. As to Chingatchgook's staying behind, I think he would have done that to cover Hawkeye. If Hawkeye had killed Duncan, in real life, the entire village would have taken to the hills to hunt him down. That's my 2 cents.

Mark

Lord, Make Me Fast and Accurate

Lurking Huron0144
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - October 26 2005 :  12:21:31 PM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Please excuse my interrupting your conversation, but I just happend along and noticed your forum. I have watched the movie a dozen times; that particular scene more than a dozen.

I believe Uncas's act was basically irrational. The prospect of succeeding (or even surviving) against Magua and all his men were about nil. All the possibilities presented here are interesting and could be true, sure. Opposing these, though, I tended to see Uncas as maybe the one of the most pragmatic characters in the movie; not a fellow really given to rash acts.

I don't think you should neglect the possibility that he just had to die because of the story line. If there were still two Mohicans - there couldn't be a LAST Mohican. Between Hollywood and JFCooper, he really didn't have much of a chance.

Personally, (and since he had to die anyway) I feel it might have been more in character for Uncas to have waited for Hawkeye and Ching., but maybe to have thrown himself in front of a knife or bullet to save someone, maybe Alice or his father. Sad, heroic... and still in character.

Rainhair
Pathfinder

Alice
USA

February 21 2005

Posted - November 05 2005 :  3:47:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rainhair's Homepage  Send Rainhair an AOL message  Click to see Rainhair's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree that Uncas probably ran off by himself to prove to Alice that it was HE that (might've) saved her. Not everyone else with "Hey, we all saved you!" but "I saved you!" If you know what I mean.

I guess when you're (supposedly) in love, you don't think rationally, you kind of act on impulse and your emotions "get in the way," as they wouldn't usually if you weren't in love or infatuated with someone.

I suppose it's not something you can really explain. There's been a lot of times when I did things "just because" and had no real explanation for them.

The leaves were long
The grass was green
The hemlock-umbels tall and fair
And in the glade a light was seen
Of stars and shadow shimmering

Monadnock Guide
Council of Elders

USA

March 14 2005

Posted - November 05 2005 :  5:09:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Heh, heh, - "had to die because of the story line", - My kind of thinking!

you can keep "The Change"

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 14 2006 :  2:25:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
He ran on so he could get ahead of them and attack them from the front while Hawkeye and his father attacked them from the rear. Have them surrouded so to speak. Still I wish he had waited and not gone bolting up the cliffside like a man possessed. Where did they get their energy from anyway? Especially Chingachkook at his age. It did not seem like they had much to eat and give them energy. I guess love gives us the energy we need to run like a bat out of hell up a cliffside to save the one we love. What a man, what a man, what a mighty fine man is all I can say. Handsome as hell too. Go Uncas.

IG
  Previous Topic: What if Uncas and Alice have lived? Topic Next Topic: Uncas and Alice  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.52 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07