The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/10/2024 10:23:09 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Mr. Poe and Uncas!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Food For Thought? Topic Next Topic: What are LOTM pictures worth?  

Lisalovesbagpuss
Lost in the Wilderness

United Kingdom

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
July 03 2005

Posted - July 04 2005 :  04:23:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, here goes for my first posting - I'm not even sure if this is in the right place, but anyway.............

I have two questions:

1. Why does Cora call Hawkeye "Mr. Poe" in the buriel platform scene?

2. Am I right in thinking that Uncas is never heard to speak his own language - he only ever speaks English, whereas Hawkeye and Chingagcook speak both. Why is that?

Fantastic website for a fantastic film - well done!
report to moderator

Lisalovesbagpuss
Lost in the Wilderness

United Kingdom

July 03 2005

Posted - July 05 2005 :  4:15:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've just realised that she calls him Mr. Poe because that's his name - Nathaniel Poe! I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't realise that, and have just been looking through the photo galleries and found out!

Is his surname made known in the film? I've watched the film many times but can't remember where, if ever, it is said.

I would still be grateful for anyone's opinion on why Uncas only ever speaks English though!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

chasis_22
Colonial Settler

Mohican Brothers
USA

April 19 2003

Posted - July 08 2005 :  7:57:58 PM  Show Profile  Send chasis_22 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Perhaps he only ever speaks English because he says very few words in the film. I have noticed that when the Mohican language is used it is usually with anger. Uncas never speaks that I can recall when they are arguing or enraged. He is the silent mysterious type. When he talks it is usually to the white folk so it wouldn't make any sense for him to use the native tongue. I dunno that is just my opinion.

blueotter
Colonial Settler

BlueOtter
USA

September 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - July 09 2005 :  09:19:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit blueotter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
In regard to Hawkeye's last name, I'm pretty sure it's Bumppo, not Poe. I've had friends who have replayed that scene many times to try and figure out what Cora is saying because of it. (See The Mohican Board title box above... "Bumppo's redux") I think in the book he was called "Natty Bumppo" at one point. Sounds strange, but there it is.

Rose Dupre
AKA/Órelindë Tinehtelë
AKA/Polly Gamwich
Gordon's 60th Royal Americans
Detroit French Marines

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - July 18 2005 :  11:06:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'd like to know what "anything" she was referring to!

kdragonrose
Pathfinder

September 04 2005

Posted - September 06 2005 :  11:45:12 AM  Show Profile  Send kdragonrose an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
His name is Nathaniel Poe. I believe in the novel he was called Natty Bumppo for some reason (I haven't read the novel since high school so I can't say for sure). Perhaps a childhood nickname?

I agree with everyone on why Uncas never seems to speak Mohican. The very first time we hear him speak at all is in the Cameron's cabin. He's speaking to white people so it's safe to assume they don't speak Mohican. The next time he speaks, he's telling Hayward why he set the horses free. He's a "man of few words."

He DOES speak Mohican in the DVD version under the waterfall when he, Chingatchgook, and Nathaniel are talking about the wet gunpowder. He says something very short and quick just before he goes to keep watch.

What I want to know is: How does Cora know Nathaniel's name is Nathaniel Poe? They never ONCE introduce each other, as in "Hi, I'm Hawkeye or Nathaniel Poe to you white folks. This here's my Pa, Chingatchgook, and my brother Uncas". The only one who's actually "introduced" is Cora, when Nathaniel asked Haywood why Magua would want to murder her. Haywood says "Miss Cora Munro? He's never laid eyes on her, she's only been here a week"
Later on, Nathaniel mentions Chingatchgook as his father during the burial ground scene, but how do they know Uncas is Uncas?

"How do you define 'normal'?" ~Fox Mulder: The X-Files

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - March 10 2006 :  09:34:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I too would like to know why Cora calls Hawkeye Mr Poe at the Burial Ground. There is indeed no previous mention of it in the movie unless there was another of those famous deleted scenes. Guess she must be "psychic"

Perhaps they heard Chingy or Nathaniel call Uncas by his name. Since we are on the subject of surnames, don't Uncas and Chingy have a surname? Guess we don't need to know that and also I would like to have heard some mention of Chingy's wife, Uncas's mother. Were the two boys raised without a mother then? Sounds like it.

IG

Keira
Pathfinder

The Kiss 2

January 25 2006

Posted - March 10 2006 :  11:52:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I had never realised that Uncas only speaks english until now.By the way, what language do they speak in the movie?Is it Mohican or some other native language?About Cora calling Hawkeye Mr.Poe..I think that they must have introduced themselves, it just wasn`t shown in the movie.

paazau
Colonial Settler

Australia

March 11 2006

Posted - March 11 2006 :  06:02:41 AM  Show Profile  Send paazau a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi guys,

I've just joined this board and hope you don't mind me jumping in with a reply or two..

to kdragonrose
nathaniel mentioned uncas' name to cora when they are talking about him being brought up by chingachgook; Cora asks "how did you learn english?" Nathaniel replies "My father sent Uncas and I to Reverend Wheelock’s school when I was ten."
i concur that nathaniel never "introduced" himself that we see. we can only assume that protocol being what it was, they introduced themselves at some time along the trail.

to keira - they speak Delaware.

prior to joining this message board I came across the pdf version of the movie script.... i found the info above in it. (go to http://www.mohicanpress.com/illustrated_script.html )

oh, I also found a site where you can read the original book online - http://www.pagebypagebooks.com. Click on the link for James Fenimore Cooper and then the link for The Last of the Mohicans.

Enjoy!

"You do not know what you're saying girl!"
"Yes I do, I know exactly what I am saying, and if it is sedition, then I am guilty of sedition too!"

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - February 02 2007 :  07:46:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

I would like to have heard some mention of Chingy's wife, Uncas's mother. Were the two boys raised without a mother then? Sounds like it.

I guess this thread is a little old by now, but oh well!

In Cooper's Leatherstocking Tales, Chingachgook's wife is a beautiful Delaware woman named Wah-ta-Wah (called "Hist-oh-Hist" or just "Hist" by English speakers).

As The Deerslayer begins, Chingy has won Wah-ta-Wah's heart with his handsome looks and status as a great warrior. She gets captured by a hostile tribe and Chingy, with young Natty in tow, goes to save her from the Hurons.

At the end of the book there is a significant flashforward--about 15 years--that shows Chingy, Natty, and Uncas visiting the site of Wah-ta-Wah's rescue:

"[I]t was on the eve of another, and still more important war, when [Natty] and his constant friend, Chingachgook, were hastening to the forts to join their allies. A stripling accompanied them, for Hist already slumbered beneath the pines of the Delwares, and the three survivors had now become inseparable."

Uncas's mother apparently died young, but I don't think Cooper ever mentions the cause of death. Of course, I don't know how much we can import into the movie from the books, considering that Cooper's Nathaniel and Chingy are supposed to be roughly the same age!

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - February 02 2007 :  09:23:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for that interesting info about our dear Uncas's mother Red. I wish they had mentioned her in LOTM at some point even if only for a minute.

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 02 2007 :  09:47:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ya' know what really irritates me in LOTM? When Uncas runs back down to the others when they're behind the falls. He just stands there glancing at his pa' and bro. What's that about? How many people would run down and just give a weird look without saying a word? I mean really...could MM have made this part a little better by letting the poor guy speak, "They're here!" or "I saw them behind the falls. They're coming." Something! Anything!
Yes...Uncas' silence has left me wanting. Thanks MM!

Although it does make me wonder if there was some kind of disagreement or tension Eric and MM, so MM just 86'ed his lines and left him very little to say. Or maybe his character was so naturally appealing that it took Nathaniel out of the spotlight and heaven forbid we couldn't have that now, could we?

Amazingly enough, Uncas still stole the show! Silence and all. Way to go Eric!!!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - February 03 2007 :  6:50:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Maybe MM just wanted Uncas to be the "strong, silent type," knowing what an appeal it definitely has for many of us! Aren't his longing looks what we love best about him? Well, maybe not best, but they rank pretty high on the scale, I'd say.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 06 2007 :  10:38:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I dunno.

I love to hear him say, "And some food."
Just the sound of his voice!

It's the same with Sean Connery. I could just listen to him talk allllll dayyyyyy long!

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - February 06 2007 :  10:57:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have a friend who fantasizes about hearing Sean Connery say "artichoke." Don't really know what that's about, but I do like to hear him talk.

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 06 2007 :  8:34:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Artichoke????
Well, that's a wierd one!
I'd love to hear him say, "LOTM...You are the most beautiful woman I have ever met. Run away with me, let me worship you, shower you with my fortune and spoil you with my love."

A step up from that would be Uncas...
"I Uncas take thee LOTM...."

RedFraggle
Mohicanite

Redhead

October 13 2006

Posted - February 06 2007 :  8:37:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit RedFraggle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yep. Either of those would work for me too!

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - February 06 2007 :  8:41:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by RedFraggle

Yep. Either of those would work for me too!

I'm so glad you agree they both should sweet talk me. What a good friend you are!

Previous Topic: Food For Thought? Topic Next Topic: What are LOTM pictures worth?  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.45 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07