The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
9/29/2024 5:22:53 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 250th Battle of Lake George FUND RAISER
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Ft. Frederick Market Faire Topic Next Topic: F&I Gaiters  

Malamute20
Lost in the Wilderness

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
April 28 2005

Posted - April 28 2005 :  3:13:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saigo One And All,

My name is Jay Levenson and I am a member of the 250th Battle of Lake George Planning Committee as well as the Eastern Woodland Alliance, the 55th of Foot, and the Suffolk County Militia.

On Sept. 17 & 18, 2005 there will be a major re-enactment of the Battle of Lake George. As part of this program the Eastern Woodland Alliance along with NYS DEC and the Warren County Historical Society we are trying to save the only monument in the park dedicated to the Native Americans. The Indian Fountain was donated back in 1921. It has suffered the wrath of weathering and vandals who broke parts off. We are trying to raise funds in thime to have this repaired before the 250th.

Anyone who is interested in helping out PLEASE e-mail me at Malamute20@aol.com and I will send you a copy of the official fund raising letter either by e-mail or snail mail. PLEASE title your e-mail "Indian Fountain".

Any support in this will help!

Nia:wen (Thank You)

Jay Levenson 250th Battle of Lake George Committee Member
report to moderator

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - April 29 2005 :  05:47:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Here is the info:

HELP SAVE THE INDIAN FOUNTAIN

Kwe Kwe, Saigo, Bonjour, Greetings,

On September 17th & 18th, 2005, Lake George, New York will be commemorating the 250th Battle of Lake George. Within the Battlefield Park are many monuments dedicated to those that fought and died on these hollowed grounds. Some of these monuments are slated for repair, cleaning, and rededications as part of the commemoration events. These select monuments have sponsors tied to them; however, the only monument in the park dedicated just to the Native Americans does not have a sponsor.

Phimister Protor, who also did works for such notable people as Buffalo Bill Cody, sculpted the Indian Fountain at the turn of the 20th century. The sculpture was given to the park in 1921 by George Pratt and was dedicated to the many tribes that lived in the area.

The state of New York owns the park as well as the monuments but does not have the funding available to completely restore and repair the Indian Fountain. Vandals had tipped the statue over breaking the bow held by the warrior and arrow fletchings in his quiver were snapped off. The bronze has tarnished greatly leaving a mottled distorted coloration and with weathering threatens to begin to pock mark the bronze. The State has secured the statue so that it can no longer be tipped over and has repaired the fountain aspect of the monument. We would like to see the rest of the work needed completed so that this monument may also be rededicated at the 250th commemoration ceremonies. We will need to raise $13,000.00 to meet this goal by late July early August.

As re-enactors, local historians, and proud caretakers of our history we of the Eastern Woodland Alliance (EWA) along with the not for profit Warren County Historical Society are asking for your help in raising the necessary funds to see the Indian Fountain brought back to its former glory. Many Native Warriors gave their lives fighting alongside their French and British allies in this great struggle. It is only appropriate that they are recognized and honored for their part in shaping this countries history by sacrificing their lives for what they believed in. As fellow re-enactors, historians, caretakers of our past, people of Native descent, local residents and businesses owners we owe it to the future seven generations to make sure that those who went before us are not forgotten.

Please make your checks payable to the Warren County Historical Society which will hold the funds for the restoration and protection of the statue. Provided that you make your check out directly to the Warren County Historical Society, we believe that it will be fully tax deductible. If you are at a re-enactment you may give your donation (payable as above) to Jay Levenson or Rick Salazar of the EWA or mail it to:

Warren County Historical Society
C/O Dr. Marilyn Van Dyke, Executive Director
71 Lawrence Street
. Glens Falls, NY 12801

Nia:wen Kowa (Thank You) (Warren County Historical Association is a tax exempt organization.)

I _____________ would like to donate the following amount to the Indian Fountain Restoration Project. Enclosed/attached is my tax-deductible donation of, #8301; $5.00, #8301; $15.00, #8301; $50.00, #8301; OTHER $_______.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

blueotter
Colonial Settler

BlueOtter
USA

September 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - April 29 2005 :  07:11:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit blueotter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I know very little about Lake George, but since I'm a French & Indian War reenactor, I hope to one day attend reenactments there -- this year especially! It is surely on my calendar!

And I am definitely going to donate what I can to the cause of getting the Indian Fountain restored! This fountain -- and its lack of a sponsor -- is something I didn't know about, but it sounds like an excellent project for those of us who love the Mohican Message Board. After all, where would we be without the Indians of the F & I War? Nowhere!

Another reason is that it reminds me of the way I felt when I visited Gettysburg a couple years ago. There are monuments everywhere, and it gave me goosebumps to see them because they truly did what they were meant to do: link us all to everyone who fought and suffered there!

Rose Dupre
AKA/Órelindë Tinehtelë
AKA/Polly Gamwich
Gordon's 60th Royal Americans
Detroit French Marines
report to moderator Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Ft. Frederick Market Faire Topic Next Topic: F&I Gaiters  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.33 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07