The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/11/2024 5:24:16 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 A "knowing look", ....
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Seeking writers for my F&I based blog Topic Next Topic: For those who cant get enough....
Page: of 2

Lurking Huron1444
Anonymous Guest

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 27 2002

Posted - March 13 2005 :  09:37:30 AM  Reply with Quote
So mnay here are looking for some kind of "romantic intent" in almost every word and scene, that I think you've missed an unspoken word that certainly has no romantic overtones, - but its' intent is clear. It involves the end of the conversation between Magua and Gen. Montcalm in the forest after the British surrender. Montcalm's parting words are "but I cannot break the terms" - and gives Magua a "look" that says, - but "YOU" can. Of course that's exactly what happens. Magua later says to the Sachem words to the effect that the French are happy about his actions.
report to moderator

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - March 13 2005 :  10:21:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Because this movie is one that has comparatively little dialogue, it relies very heavily on "looks" and facial expressions. We have discussed just about every "look" we can think of, from Cora's gazing with great interest at Nathaniel near the beginning, to Nathaniel's frankly direct look at Cora in the infirmary, to Magua's wonderfully subtle series of looks at Alice just before she jumps. They are all just great.

But I cannot recall anyone ever bringing up Montcalm's look aimed at Magua in this scene. And in thinking about it, I believe you are absolutely correct! I can't remember that I ever realized it before. Thanks for pointing it out!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Lurking Huron1444
Anonymous Guest

November 27 2002

Posted - March 13 2005 :  11:35:20 AM  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If you do get a copy of "Look To The Mountain" - I think you'll enjoy it. I'd be surprised if you didn't. It might paint a tad less romantic, but more realistic picture of early frontier life in this country. It's actually about a young couple "moving north" in a canoe up the Merrimack River (a real river) to start a homestead in the White Mountains area. She's 16 and what you might say "in a family way". Regards, ... Monadnock Guide.

Rainhair
Pathfinder

Alice
USA

February 21 2005

Posted - March 15 2005 :  11:05:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rainhair's Homepage  Send Rainhair an AOL message  Click to see Rainhair's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I noticed this, but I think only cause I read the book, when Magua says something like, "Magua can do things his French father cannot." You can kinda pick up on the communicatio between the two when Gen.Montcalm gives that short..um...speech.

The leaves were long
The grass was green
The hemlock-umbels tall and fair
And in the glade a light was seen
Of stars and shadow shimmering

misschanelno5
Pioneer

USA

July 01 2004

Posted - March 16 2005 :  06:03:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit misschanelno5's Homepage  Send misschanelno5 an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Absolutely ... it's really clear in the DVD version that Montcalm is hinting for Magua to break the agreement -- Montcalm says, "If I honor the agreement -- which I must -- I fear I will only fight the same soldiers again when I drive toward Albany." (That may not be verbatim to the letter, but you get the gist ) On the DVD they've added Montcalm's line "But I cannot break the terms and sully the lillies of France." Even without that line, in the VHS version, it's noticable; Montcalm catches Magua's eye and then walks away, there's a hesitation, and Magua suddenly looks toward where Montcalm had been standing ... as if he's thinking, "Did I really hear that???" ] Of course, we all know he took the suggestion to heart!!

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
-- Oscar Wilde

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - July 10 2007 :  10:26:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Speaking of "Looks" we discussed the look that Alexandra Cameron gave to her husband John in the cabin scene nearly 10 years ago but it is still one of the most profound scenes, for me, in the movie. There is a depth of love and understanding there that trancends words.

HAWK

"The scum of every nation gravitates to the frontier."
Benjamin Franklin 1750

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin 1759

The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."

"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - July 10 2007 :  10:57:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Then there's the special look Alexandra Cameron gives Uncas in the cabin scene.

IG

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - July 10 2007 :  2:08:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That look was not directed at Uncas.....it was to her husband.

HAWK

Benjamin Franklin 1750

Benjamin Franklin 1759

The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone, somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - July 10 2007 :  3:02:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Oh she gives Uncas a special look too.

IG

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - July 10 2007 :  5:29:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
She had no "look" for Uncas, that look she gave John said that he was the only man for her. It said love, devotion, and contentment with her life with him. I just watched that scene again and he looks up at her with their son on his lap and she looks back at him.....nuff said.

HAWK

Benjamin Franklin 1750

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - July 10 2007 :  6:12:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I guess Uncas was not as hot as y'all thought he was

I need some rumalade! Joe?

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - July 10 2007 :  7:07:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I'll have plenty at Huck's. Once again I've been tapped to fall off my horse "on cue"....damn it's hell being a movie star.. *LOL*

HAWK

Benjamin Franklin 1750

Benjamin Franklin 1759

blackfootblood
Devoted Tribal Member

homecoming
USA

May 22 2007

Donating Member

Posted - July 10 2007 :  9:20:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Everyone has an opinion, doesn't mean they are right or wrong......nuff said.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

"Live well, love much, laugh often!"

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - July 11 2007 :  12:36:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by blackfootblood

Everyone has an opinion, doesn't mean they are right or wrong......nuff said.

Blah, blah, blah-blah-blah.
I have to agree with Hawkeye Joe. The look was directed at her husband, not Uncas. It's just the angle of the camera that makes it look misdirected.

Although we Uncas lovers it seems a bit odd when comparing the two.

As for the knowing look, I do recall it brought up in another topic but I'm not sure which one. But yeah, I did notice it - pretty cool!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - July 11 2007 :  2:05:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thank you dear, When I first saw the movie in the theatre I thought the look went to Hawkeye..but after seeing the movie so many times I realized what the "look" meant....

HAWK

Benjamin Franklin 1750

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - July 11 2007 :  3:42:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye_Joe

She had no "look" for Uncas, that look she gave John said that he was the only man for her. It said love, devotion, and contentment with her life with him. I just watched that scene again and he looks up at her with their son on his lap and she looks back at him.....nuff said.

Well excuse me . Yes she does give her 'old man a look but I was not referring to that . She turns from the fireplace and enquires as to why Uncas is with them. She gives him a and even though it is a quick one, it still says a lot. She has a "fondness" for Uncas and that says it all.....nuff said

Oh, and I love the Chingy gives to his boy whilst he is playing with the young Cameron. Such a fatherly, loving . Suppose that did not happen either

IG

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - July 11 2007 :  4:19:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
As Blackfoot says everyone has the right to their own opinion ...just because your's is wrong doesn't make it any less valid ... to you ...

And yes there is a look of great Fatherly pride in Chingachgook's look.

HAWK

Benjamin Franklin 1750

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - July 11 2007 :  4:30:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:

As Blackfoot says everyone has the right to their own opinion ...just because your's is wrong doesn't make it any less valid ... to you ...

HJ I just have this to say

nuff said

IG

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - July 11 2007 :  5:06:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

"I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that...."

HAWK

Benjamin Franklin 1750

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - July 11 2007 :  6:24:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Irishgirl

quote:

HJ I just have this to say

nuff said

Oops just looked up your profile. I never hit a child before so I take it all back the that is. Just be a good boy will ya

IG

Light of the Moon
Mohicanland Statesman

Car in Fog
USA

December 18 2004

Posted - July 11 2007 :  7:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Child abuser!

I live in my own little world - but that's okay, they know me here!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 12 2007 :  08:52:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
First of all... Welcome Back, Hawkeye Joe! You've been gone for a spell.

Second... it is my belief that the age in Joe's profile is not accurate. Please correct me if I am wrong, Joe, but I am under the impression that you are one of the horsemen in the photos you posted. Correct? If so, then you are obviously a man of relatively mature years.

Third... the subject of a possible relationship of some sort between Alexandra and Uncas has been the subject of much discussion on the boards over the years. If I may venture to offer my own "opinion", what I see between everyone in the group is a mutual warm fondness, respect and closeness that comes of years of friendship and sharing hardships in the wilderness. There is no doubt in my mind that Alexandra and John were very much in love. The look she gave was for her husband. I think Uncas admired that love that he saw between them and wished for one like that, but not with Alexandra. Hence, when he set eyes upon Alice, he saw a potential for a similar relationship. Too bad Alice did not agree.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

Hawkeye_Joe
Colonial Militia

USA

July 31 2003

Posted - July 12 2007 :  09:55:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello WW.. good to see you again...yes..things here seem about the same and I wholeheartedly agree with you. As Hawkeye said.. they were not strangers...

I updated my profile... do not know where that birth date came from...

HAWK

Benjamin Franklin 1750

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Irishgirl
Council of Elders

Irish Girl Avatar
USA

February 14 2006

Donating Member

Posted - July 12 2007 :  10:16:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I wondered about that HJ since you seemed to know so much for one so young. Explains a lot.

WW Of course there would have been no romance between Alexandra and Uncas. I agree with what you say but us Uncas lovers like to think she had a "thing" for him. Just our imaginations running wild again. Heck, even though married, I have a "thing" for Uncas.

IG

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - July 12 2007 :  12:05:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah, it's called an obsession!

Lapus
Colonial Settler

Uncas Small
Canada

June 23 2007

Posted - July 12 2007 :  2:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Uncas obsession.....
Yes, yes its true I also am one of the afflicted. My weekly group meetings have done nothing to alieveate my condition but then I don't really want to be cured.

Later days,
Lapus

It’s All About The Pain, The Jewelry And Ink Are Just Souvenirs!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Seeking writers for my F&I based blog Topic Next Topic: For those who cant get enough....  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.55 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07