The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/10/2024 10:25:59 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Movies, Movies, More Movies! Any Movies!
 Jules Verne on Film
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: The Village Topic Next Topic: Humphrey Bogart poll:  

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 03 2003

Posted - August 02 2004 :  10:44:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Of the listed Jules Verne stories that were adapted for film, which is your favorite? Which version? Why?

Choices:

Voyage to the Moon
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
The Mysterious Island
Michel Strogoff
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Master of the World
Around the World in 80 Days

report to moderator

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 03 2004 :  12:51:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
'Journey to the Center of the Earth' is one of my all time favorites. Although, I do admit that '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea' rates a very close second.

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 03 2004 :  08:48:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"Around The World in 80 Days" is my favorite.

The 1956 movie version, starring the always elegant David Niven as Phileas Fogg and Cantinflas as his valet, Passepartout, is magnificent. No other version comes close to this one, imho.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

alikws
Colonial Settler

USA

October 23 2003

Posted - August 03 2004 :  10:52:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
of those listed, 20,000 leagues ranks up there, also war of the worlds and the 1960's version of the time machine... the 2002s remake wasnt too bad, but did not have the feel of the 60's...
eager to see the remake of war of the worlds [in production] due in '06
the 50's make of the invisable man is there as well...

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - August 04 2004 :  6:41:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I had to go with "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea". The 1954 Disney film starring Kirk Douglas, James Mason, Peter Lorre, and Paul Lukas is a classic.
It's really a tie between "The Mysterious Island" and "20,000 L.U.t.S.", I love the Nemo character. Captain Nemo's dark genius shares the same appeal as Captain Ahab chasing Moby Dick, and Maximilian Schell's mad scientist poised on the brink of destruction in Disney's 1979 sci-fi classic "The Black Hole". Brilliant loners with questionable character and intention, interesting theme.
Back to Verne though- I am a huge fan of the 1959 version of "Journey to the Center of the Earth" starring Pat Boone, James Mason, Arlene Dahl, and Diane Baker. One of my favorite movies from childhood. It's still fun to watch Hans and Gertrude, all the sweet special effects, and finally getting shot from Atlantis out of a volcano to safety- pretty fantastic stuff.
Finally I really like the 1902 silent version of "Voyage to the Moon". If you've seen the HBO mini-series "From the Earth to the Moon" there's an entire hour-long episode devoted the making of the film, very interesting. Probably the first great Sci-fi film.

Many Flags
Colonial Settler

USA

August 13 2002

Posted - August 05 2004 :  07:18:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
"Back in the day" on Friday evenings there used to be the Friday Night at the Movies tv show....they showed a lot of good movies (I remember Topkapi, Charades, etc.). I worked in a general store in a little town called Montandon and if I hurried I could get home by 9:10 PM or so and only miss the first few minutes of the movie that night. Mysterious Island showed one night.....I remember it distinctly and it was great...have always loved that movie, brings back good memories. 20,000 Leagues is good too, but I'm a big Kirk Douglas fan (just saw Last Train from Gun Hill on Saturday....it was quite good!!)....and Around the World in 80 Days with Niven is a classic....love the theme song. Those are my choices in that order......Many Flags of the Allemaengel
  Previous Topic: The Village Topic Next Topic: Humphrey Bogart poll:  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.31 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07