The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
9/30/2024 9:38:09 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 michigan grand encampment - anyone going?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: The word is out... Topic Next Topic: working 1760s flint lock  

alikws
Colonial Settler

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
October 23 2003

Posted - July 02 2004 :  4:10:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
participant info website is at http://grandencampment.itgo.com
its a semianual national f&i reenactment, was at the last one in pa,
the organizers promised the world, and ended pulling off quite a bit of it - impressive for a first time event... planning to make this one... about 400 combatants french same for english, and 100 natives fielding, ends up being about double total number when families,distaff &c taken into account - double the size of ticonderoga on a good year...
see what happens...
report to moderator

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - July 02 2004 :  4:37:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No, won't make this one......BTW..bi-annual, every 2 years, not semi-annual, twice a year! My wife would disown me for sure!! Should be a good one, I hope you have a great time! I will look forward to your report.

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

alikws
Colonial Settler

USA

October 23 2003

Posted - July 06 2004 :  11:24:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
the next one in line in '06 will probaly be in alabama or somewhere in the south, i'm guessing, although this is getting into 250'th aniversarys in the north... planning on bringing one of those new fangled digicamal cameras, if i can figure out how to post a picture... see what happens... was up til 2:am rehardening a frizzen for this one...

Graybeard Longhunter
Pathfinder

USA

June 23 2004

Posted - July 11 2004 :  4:45:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply

"John Cameron, thank you for your hospitality ... Twin River Mohawk got no quarrel with Les Francais. Trade furs with Les Francais. Now Les Francais bring Huron, Ottawa and Abenaki onto Mohawk land ... Now Mohawk will fight Les Francais and Huron. I speak for the Twin Rivers Mohawk and the Six Nations."
- Ongewasgone

"His Majesty King George II is very grateful for your support."
- British Lieutenant

The Last Of The Mohicans

I sure would like to have made it to the GE but I had to stay back at John Cameron's cabin.

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - July 12 2004 :  12:05:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I was at Brattonsville (Huck's Defeat) this weekend. Capt. Huck was making a speech to the gathered backwoods folk telling them how they should support the crown. I had an urge to say: "You do what you want with your own scalp and not be tellin' us what to do with ours." But I didn't. Too many event organizers would have been upset!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 12 2004 :  08:41:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yes, but the looks on their faces would have been... priceless!

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."

alikws
Colonial Settler

USA

October 23 2003

Posted - July 13 2004 :  4:43:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
got back yesterday and promptly slept off the effects of the long drive...
i got some pictures, mostly of camp life and the french drilling {they looked good} - will post
some when i figgure out how...

friday was a 2 part battle, the 2nd part was braddocs defeat - an ambush on the english...

friday night was first a council with the english , then the french...
we traveled to the english camp for council, and there were a few officers and a trader with
some trinkets and a keg of rum,{the younger warriors cheered, the elders knew _exactly_ what that ment} no food for anyone after a journey... they stood above us and talked from a distance... we did not feel good about it and left...

the french traveled to our camp for council with food, honey, cloth,kettles and useful stuff, then
sat amoung us and talked of the common threat to both of us.. a couple companies of french also marched in, grounded their arms, and the officers put us in the care of their swords &c
the abenakis {us} quickly anounced we had been dealing with the english for some time, presented belts of alliance/frendship to the french and struck the war pole, announced we already had gotten many gifts from the french and no 'bribes' were necessary, and headed back to camp to prepare... i did not see the end, but few natives sided with the red spider...

more to come...

Two Kettles
Colonial Settler

USA

August 01 2002

Posted - July 18 2004 :  5:18:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Although there were some glitches, and the heat was somewhat oppressive, overall the GE2 was an excellent event.

By only letting the most senior officers in on the "game plan", most soldiers from junior officers to rankers experienced, to one degree or another, the "fog of war". The site offered opportunities for water battles, ambushes in the woods, and large scale open field encounters, and the various opportunities were well used.

One of the many highlights was the British use of light horse (portraying VA and PA Provincial Light Horse) to harass the French flanks. They'd charge with pistols, be driven off by natives and militia, regroup, and charge again. Spectacular, and a favorite with the public. Also impressive were the French grenadiers at the center of the French line. I'm used to seeing Marines or even milice in the center, and seeing elite Troupes de la Terre holding the center was really something.

Unfortunately, there were a number of participants who dropped from the heat, several twisted ankles, and a number of bee or hornet stings (including the British commanding officer, General "W.C. Fields" Kemmer). But all in all, judging from the enthusiasm of the participants at the closing ceremonies, it was all worth it. And, with the lamented demise of the Rendezvous on the Rouge, it was nice to have a large scale event in MI again.

Two Kettles

alikws
Colonial Settler

USA

October 23 2003

Posted - July 20 2004 :  4:38:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
only major glitch was the water situation in french and native camp - they were unable to get water tanks, and ended up handing 2 gallon bottles out of the back of a truck, but many did not know, got dehydrated and had problems...

fridays battle was 2 parts, the first being jumonville, and the second being braddocs defeat...
i think the british thought things were over at the jumonville portion, because when they found themselves in an ambush of about 150 french and indians, the confusion was complete... the fighting eventualy moved into the fields and became a spectator battle...

saturdays morning battle was for me the high point of the event, it was a mostly lake battle with
probaly 60 people and at least a dozen boats, ranging from canoes,batteaux,whale boats,dorys and sailboats... with frantic manuvering and brodsides fired with muskets and swivel guns - like somthing out of master and commander... on the shore was some fighting and canon fire so plenty was happening...

the second battle was an in the woods to on the field transition, natives,rangers and milece providing flanking and cover to regulars... we ended up holding a flank against a small group of cavelry, seeing their moves and dashing in to block and turn them... the feeling was not unlike manning an anti-aircraft battery against aircraft, most different...
the english fell back to their fort, and it ended there...

saturday night council fire was a suprise, seems most of the singers are in the east and none of the southern groups were there in force, which left only a few abenakis and one lakota as singers, no shortage of dancers,though... that was unexpected...

sundays battle was another woods to field... we pushed back a group of rangers, but the french regulars were pushed back and we had to fall back to join them... we ran out of powder and dropped into the woods and the french regulars were pushed off the field...

in the end, a long drive, a few rough edges, but quite worthwile, wondering where they will hold the next one in '06 - guessing deep south, but would love a site like crown point...

Previous Topic: The word is out... Topic Next Topic: working 1760s flint lock  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.25 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07