The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/7/2024 3:23:23 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Inside the Longhouse
 Wes, the Native American Dance Theater, and the Ryman Auditorium
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Wes Studi - Feast or Beast?? Topic Next Topic: On the menus  

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 17 2002

Posted - June 08 2004 :  9:42:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weeellllll....just where do I begin?!

I met up with Carter yesterday morning and we drove to Nashville for a fun-filled and very entertaining evening.

Upon arriving at our hotel and having the opportunity to meet two very nice ladies from the StudiGroup, Wes gave us a call to give us the plans for the evening. We set up sales for t-shirts, cd's, pictures, and cookbooks there at the Ryman prior to the concert (which I'll tell you all about later). Wes was so gracious in signing autographs (many of you who were at the 2001 Gathering will remember this about him)...and there were a lot!! He has many fans and I think many who were meeting him for the first time were amazed at his generosity.

The concert consisted of many Native American entertainers and let me just say there is so much talent in this culture. It opened with the poem "Listen to the Drum" read by Elder Marion Dunn, who is 84 years old. The Charlie Wolf and Wolfland Dancers from N.C. were so colorful and energetic in their interpretation of their native dance. The man who sang and beat the drum for them as they danced was also amazing.

We were then treated to some flute songs by Grady "Shadow Hawk" Jones. He has the classic Mohawk hair cut and wears the Native garb. His music was most relaxing.

J.D. Edge perfomed an original Native American song and was accompanied by brother/sister duo Paul and Val Williams. Storm Seymour along with his niece Stephanie Snow then shared some beautiful songs and their voices so wonderfully blended. Marcus Hummon, one of Nashiville's songwriters, then entertained us with some of his songs.

Intermission!! ....crazy madness...all kinds of fans came out to purchase Studi merchandise and our favorite Huron was there to oblige with pen in hand. We took some pictures and had a lot of laughs. I thanked him for his contribution to Ariel's Auction and gave him "hellos" from all of you. He says he'd like to come back to see his friends that congregate at Lake Lure again and hopefully he could get back sometime. We talked a little about his preparation for his upcoming movie...he's working out so the humidity won't get to him...hmmmm...seems to worry about that humidity. He said he was a little sore from working out and we noticed he was moving about a little gingerly. But all in all...same ol' Wes. Loads of fun and a most appreciative man.

After intermission, we were then entertained by Redtale from Illinois. Gorgeous voice blends and very inspirational.

Then...Rock and Roll! WHAT! Yep, Ricky Lynn Gregg, who has "Uncas-like" hair gave us a bit of a change from the Native flair.

And...the headliner of the night, "Firecat of Discord" came out. Wes had his usual stage presence...this man can really break the ice with an uncomfortable audience when his guitar wasn't working...no prob, he adlibbed his way through it while the techies got it going. Then...look out! The band is very good and Maura has a wonderful voice..and talk about energetic! If you don't have one of their cd's, you're missing out. During one of their numbers the Dancers came out and gave us some background color and added to the song. You could tell that they were all having fun...and so were we.

After their set, all dancers came out and did the Victory Dance and then two verses of"Amazing Grace" was sung in the Native tongue, then everybody there sang it together in English...quite inspiring to say the least.

After more autographs and picture taking with his fans, we bid Wes goodnight and good-bye but our evening wasn't over. Carter and Company found our way to the Wild Horse Saloon for a little line dance lessons, feeding our faces, and then actually doing a dance through a couple of songs.

It was so much fun. If any of you ever get the chance to attend the annual Native American Dance Theatre at the Ryman, please go. You won't be sorry.

OH! I almost forgot...Kohlan! This kid has grown so much

Theresa
report to moderator

Kaylynn44
Mohicanite

Sunset
USA

July 13 2002

Donating Member

Posted - June 08 2004 :  10:06:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kaylynn44's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Theresa,
It sounds like y'all had a great time!!! Of course, how could you not with Wes on stage. Can't wait to meet you and the others at the Gathering!!!

Kay

~ An Infinite Zephyr~
Some things never end
As long as goodness exists
Winds shall always soothe

www.cloudsbooks.com

report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Carter
Colonial Militia

Tiger
USA

August 28 2003

Donating Member

Posted - June 12 2004 :  09:48:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Theresa, meeting you was an absolute BLAST!!! We had so much fun together, didn't we? Glad you got back home safely! I can't wait to meet up with you again next Saturday, and to finally meet Rich and all the other Mohicanlanders!!!!
Love,
Carter

Jayne
Overseer of Ariel's Auction

Oak Leaf

May 23 2002

Posted - June 12 2004 :  12:55:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Gosh, Theresa! Somehow I missed this post over the last week of checking in on the board. Sounds like you had a WONDERFUL time. Thanks for the very detailed report of the performances and your chat with Wes. He is a great guy, and I do remember how gracious and friendly he was in 2001. I'm so glad you could personally thank him for the Ariel contributions. Although I admit...I'm just a wee bit jealous it wasn't MOI doing the thanking!!!

See ya in a WEEK!!

Jayne

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - June 12 2004 :  10:01:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Carter

Theresa, meeting you was an absolute BLAST!!! We had so much fun together, didn't we? Glad you got back home safely! I can't wait to meet up with you again next Saturday, and to finally meet Rich and all the other Mohicanlanders!!!!
Love,
Carter

Well thanks, Carter. It was a treat to meet you as well and the other StudiGroup members that could attend the Native American Dance Theater. See ya a bit north of Atlanta Saturday and then it's off to Mohicanland. Absolutely cannot wait!

...and you guys are going to love Carter. She's a delight!

Theresa

Theresa

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - June 12 2004 :  10:05:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jayne

Gosh, Theresa! Somehow I missed this post over the last week of checking in on the board. Sounds like you had a WONDERFUL time. Thanks for the very detailed report of the performances and your chat with Wes. He is a great guy, and I do remember how gracious and friendly he was in 2001. I'm so glad you could personally thank him for the Ariel contributions. Although I admit...I'm just a wee bit jealous it wasn't MOI doing the thanking!!!

See ya in a WEEK!!

Jayne

Hey Jayne

It was indeed a whole lot of fun seeing Wes again. He truly appreciates all his fans and is so personable...*sigh*.

So looking forward to seeing you again...and Karen, too...and meeting your hubby, of course.

Theresa
  Previous Topic: Wes Studi - Feast or Beast?? Topic Next Topic: On the menus  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.44 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07