The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
7/5/2024 9:27:45 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Inside the Longhouse
 Cooper Questions/ Indian Ancestory Questions
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Native American art in South Carolina Topic Next Topic: A Town of the Creek Nation 1790  

CapeCodGirl
Pathfinder

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
March 13 2004

Posted - March 13 2004 :  11:23:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello to all. I am a new member. I applaud the web site owner and all the people who make these pages available. Thankyou!

I am a student currently taking American Lit. I have chosen to read and research The Last of the Mohicans, by James Fenimore Cooper. I have just finished reading the book. Great read! However, at times, it was hard to follow. I did get confused with the book when I read the part when the Munro sisters were returned to their father at Fort Henry and Cooper briefly (in like 2 sentences) refers to Natty as being seen lead away by French officers. Then, for two more chapters, Cooper says nothing about how Hawkeye was captured etc. Is it just me? Or did Cooper purposely leave the details out?

That is the only part of the book I did not like. Well, except for the ending, when my favorite character, Uncas dies.

The movie was awesome! However, it is very different from the book.
I have surfed around in this chat forum a little and have discovered some history experts reside herein lol.. I have some very important questions about Indian ancestories. I know that the last part of Coopers book was entirely fictional. I am interested in the history of the Delewares and the Mohicans. Is anyone here familiar with the term 'Sagamore'? Is anyone here familiar with the Wampanoag Indians?

Thankyou so much, whoever responds.
Looking forward to learning as much as possible at this forum..Sincerely~ Mylissa
report to moderator

Scott Bubar
Colonial Militia

USA

May 17 2002

Posted - March 14 2004 :  2:33:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Mylissa, I believe Munro sent Hawkeye as a messenger to Fort Edwards to let General Webb know what was happening at William Henry and to see when and if Webb was coming to their relief.

Hawkeye was captured on the way back, and Montcalm turned him over to Munro--ostensibly as a gesture of goodwill, but actually as a way of rubbing in the fact that he (Montcalm) was in control of the situation.

Hawkeye was led back to the Fort in the custody of the French officer, not lead away.

~~Aim small, miss small.
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - March 14 2004 :  5:31:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It's generally believed that the word sagamore or sagamo is a northern Algonquian dialectical variant of the southern Algonquian sachem. Both words generally mean the same thing, leader, chief, etc. What questions do you have about the Wampanoag, I know a little about their history, as well as the New England Algonquian.

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

CapeCodGirl
Pathfinder

USA

March 13 2004

Posted - March 15 2004 :  6:34:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Bubar

Mylissa, I believe Munro sent Hawkeye as a messenger to Fort Edwards to let General Webb know what was happening at William Henry and to see when and if Webb was coming to their relief.

Hawkeye was captured on the way back, and Montcalm turned him over to Munro--ostensibly as a gesture of goodwill, but actually as a way of rubbing in the fact that he (Montcalm) was in control of the situation.

Hawkeye was led back to the Fort in the custody of the French officer, not lead away.

Thankyou!!! I must have misread the part in the book. Funny, I don't remember Cooper explaining it as well as you did lol. I must have missed it~ I will go back and re-read...

Thankyou!

CapeCodGirl
Pathfinder

USA

March 13 2004

Posted - March 15 2004 :  6:40:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CT•Ranger

It's generally believed that the word sagamore or sagamo is a northern Algonquian dialectical variant of the southern Algonquian sachem. Both words generally mean the same thing, leader, chief, etc. What questions do you have about the Wampanoag, I know a little about their history, as well as the New England Algonquian.

Hello! I was interested in the word 'Sagamore' because it is a town in Massachusetts that I grew up in. I was born in Falmouth, not too far from it. My family lives in Sagamore, and when I saw the word in my American Lit book, and in Coopers The Last of the Mohicans, I had to investigate into it further lol.

I am a descendent of Wampanoag Indians, my grandmother tells me, that is why I am interested in them. My great great (maybe great again) grandfather was a Wampanoag Indian.

Thankyou for your reply. If you know anything further about the Wampanoags, I would love to know it lol... If you want to email me, just click on my name and my email address is in my profile. Thankyou for the information.

pueblo52
Pathfinder

USA

March 15 2004

Posted - March 15 2004 :  6:55:25 PM  Show Profile  Send pueblo52 an AOL message  Click to see pueblo52's MSN Messenger address  Send pueblo52 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Interesting site here. I don't know much about the eastern tribes since I'm originally from the Southwest/Laguna Pueblo, NM. But with the recent PBS offerings on the Tony Hillerman series, I'm ready to learn about the eastern cousins<G>. Saw Last of the Mohicans, don't remember the book very well, hard to read(back in the dark ages when I was young)but Studi is my favorite. Saw him in Geronimo, it blew me away. Have seen him in several other movies since. Whoever built this site did a real good job........

Kurt
Mohicanite

The Old Trapper
USA

September 27 2003

Posted - March 15 2004 :  8:00:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CapeCodGirl

quote:

Thankyou!!! I must have misread the part in the book. Funny, I don't remember Cooper explaining it as well as you did lol. I must have missed it~ I will go back and re-read...

Thankyou!

I had forgotten the conversation between Duncan and Monroe:
quote:

"I am sorry to see, sir, that the messenger I so warmly
recommended has returned in custody of the French! I hope
there is no reason to distrust his fidelity?"

"The fidelity of 'The Long Rifle' is well known to me,"
returned Munro, "and is above suspicion; though his usual
good fortune seems, at last, to have failed. Montcalm has
got him, and with the accursed politeness of his nation, he
has sent him in with a doleful tale, of 'knowing how I
valued the fellow, he could not think of retaining him.' A
Jesuitical way that, Major Duncan Heyward, of telling a man
of his misfortunes!"

"But the general and his succor?"

"Did ye look to the south as ye entered, and could ye not
see them?" said the old soldier, laughing bitterly.

"Hoot! hoot! you're an impatient boy, sir, and cannot give
the gentlemen leisure for their march!"

"They are coming, then? The scout has said as much?"

"When? and by what path? for the dunce has omitted to tell
me this. There is a letter, it would seem, too; and that is
the only agreeable part of the matter. For the customary
attentions of your Marquis of Montcalm -- I warrant me,
Duncan, that he of Lothian would buy a dozen such
marquisates -- but if the news of the letter were bad, the
gentility of this French monsieur would certainly compel him
to let us know it."

"He keeps the letter, then, while he releases the
messenger?"

"Ay, that does he, and all for the sake of what you call
your 'bonhommie' I would venture, if the truth was known,
the fellow's grandfather taught the noble science of
dancing."

Montcalm gloats over the letter presently. (Project Gutenberg etexts make looking quicker! )

Yr. obt. svt.
Kurt

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - March 16 2004 :  1:27:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Here is a very brief historical outline. The Wampanoag ("eastern people") were a confederacy of several groups or bands in what is today southeastern Massachusetts state, between the eastern shore of Narragansett Bay in Rhode Island to the western end of Cape Cod, and the islands of Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket. This was the group of Indians/Natives which the 1620 Mayflower passangers encountered when they settled Plymouth. The Wampanoag and English of Plymouth Colony enjoyed peaceful relations for over 50 years until war broke out between "King Philip" or Metacom of the Wampanoag, and the English colonist of Plymouth, Massachusetts and Connecticut colonies in 1675. Before King Philip's war 1675-6, the Wampanoag numbered around 1,000, after the war around 400 survived. Today there are roughly 3,000 Wampanoag.

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

CapeCodGirl
Pathfinder

USA

March 13 2004

Posted - March 16 2004 :  3:07:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kurt

quote:
Originally posted by CapeCodGirl

quote:

Thankyou!

I had forgotten the conversation between Duncan and Monroe:
quote:

"I am sorry to see, sir, that the messenger I so warmly
recommended has returned in custody of the French! I hope
there is no reason to distrust his fidelity?"

"The fidelity of 'The Long Rifle' is well known to me,"
returned Munro, "and is above suspicion; though his usual
good fortune seems, at last, to have failed. Montcalm has
got him, and with the accursed politeness of his nation, he
has sent him in with a doleful tale, of 'knowing how I
valued the fellow, he could not think of retaining him.' A
Jesuitical way that, Major Duncan Heyward, of telling a man
of his misfortunes!"

"But the general and his succor?"

"Did ye look to the south as ye entered, and could ye not
see them?" said the old soldier, laughing bitterly.

"Hoot! hoot! you're an impatient boy, sir, and cannot give
the gentlemen leisure for their march!"

"They are coming, then? The scout has said as much?"

"When? and by what path? for the dunce has omitted to tell
me this. There is a letter, it would seem, too; and that is
the only agreeable part of the matter. For the customary
attentions of your Marquis of Montcalm -- I warrant me,
Duncan, that he of Lothian would buy a dozen such
marquisates -- but if the news of the letter were bad, the
gentility of this French monsieur would certainly compel him
to let us know it."

"He keeps the letter, then, while he releases the
messenger?"

"Ay, that does he, and all for the sake of what you call
your 'bonhommie' I would venture, if the truth was known,
the fellow's grandfather taught the noble science of
dancing."

Montcalm gloats over the letter presently. (Project Gutenberg etexts make looking quicker! )

THankyou!!! I see it now... on page 155 lol... I must have been reading that part late at night... You know how it is.. you're eyes get tired. Thanks so much!

~Mylissa

CapeCodGirl
Pathfinder

USA

March 13 2004

Posted - March 16 2004 :  3:17:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CT•Ranger

Here is a very brief historical outline. The Wampanoag ("eastern people") were a confederacy of several groups or bands in what is today southeastern Massachusetts state, between the eastern shore of Narragansett Bay in Rhode Island to the western end of Cape Cod, and the islands of Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket. This was the group of Indians/Natives which the 1620 Mayflower passangers encountered when they settled Plymouth. The Wampanoag and English of Plymouth Colony enjoyed peaceful relations for over 50 years until war broke out between "King Philip" or Metacom of the Wampanoag, and the English colonist of Plymouth, Massachusetts and Connecticut colonies in 1675. Before King Philip's war 1675-6, the Wampanoag numbered around 1,000, after the war around 400 survived. Today there are roughly 3,000 Wampanoag.

Thankyou so much! That is very interesting... I will have to look up these Wampanoag Indians. Maybe I can find out something about them online. In the book, The Last of the Mohicans, the war (King Philip's War) is mentioned, briefly, in the side notes. I was confused, however, I thought King Philip was some European man lol. So, King Philip was actually Metacom of the Wampanoag..very interesting. I will look up more about this.. I wonder why he went by King Philip. I will look it up online or in an encyclopedia. Thankyou so much for taking the time to enlighten me.

Have a great day,
~Mylissa

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - March 16 2004 :  7:28:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If you liked Cooper's style and are interested in Metacom and King Philip's war you should read "The Wept of Wish-ton-wish". It's a Cooper story about the war and how it affected colonial settlers. It's also packed with historical tidbits and tons of action.

CapeCodGirl
Pathfinder

USA

March 13 2004

Posted - March 16 2004 :  10:57:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by susquesus

If you liked Cooper's style and are interested in Metacom and King Philip's war you should read "The Wept of Wish-ton-wish". It's a Cooper story about the war and how it affected colonial settlers. It's also packed with historical tidbits and tons of action.

Thankyou! That sounds like an interesting book. Will try to read it next..

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - March 18 2004 :  8:05:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi CapeCodGirl,

I recently read a nonfiction book about King Philip's War, "The Red King's Rebellion" by Russell Bourne, and it offers an explanation for Metacom's assumption of an English name. Metacom and his older brother, Wamsutta, were sons of Massasoit, sachem of the Pokanokets (a subset of the Wampanoags) and the man who befriended the Pilgrims. When Metacom and Wamsutta were young men, New England was enjoying a "golden age" of relations between whites and Indians, when both sides prospered from trade. Young men of respected lineage,such as Massasoit's sons, were not averse to showing that they were on good terms with the colonial authorities, so Wamsutta and Metacom asked the Plymouth authorities to award them English names. The former became Alexander, the latter Philip. This was not demeaning -- "a new name for a new time" was an accepted Algonquian practice, and in any event only close family members knew an Algonquian's "true" name, so it wasn't as if Wamsutta and Metacom were surrendering their essential identities by taking English names. (Should mention here -- the Eastern tribes were divided into two major linguistic groups: Algonquian (Delaware, Wampanoag, Mohican, among others) and Iroquois (principally the Six Nations of the Iroquois, as well as Huron and Cherokee).)

As for the "King" title, this author suggests that it was bestowed as a jeer or pejorative on Metacom/Philip after the war that bore his name. That may be in this particular case, but I think that in general the English settlers gave such titles to the leaders of Indian communities -- "King" Hendrick, "Queen Aliquippa," etc. -- without knowing or caring that authority among Indians did not take the same forms as it did back home in the European nation-states. (Another aside: Wamsutta became sachem after his father's death, Metacom became sachem after his brother's death.) In Western Pennsylvania there was even a succession of Indian leaders known as "The Half-King"...but that's another story! I hope this helps, and wasn't more information than you wanted.

CapeCodGirl
Pathfinder

USA

March 13 2004

Posted - March 21 2004 :  1:10:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bookworm

Hi CapeCodGirl,

I recently read a nonfiction book about King Philip's War, "The Red King's Rebellion" by Russell Bourn........ I hope this helps, and wasn't more information than you wanted.

Image Insert:

45.86 KB
Hi Bookworm! Thankyou for the information! You definetely answered my questions about the names, and it wasn't more information than I wanted... I love learning new stuff. Thanks again...

~CCG

lonewolf
Colonial Settler

Lonewolf

February 12 2004

Posted - October 31 2004 :  10:40:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The word "sagamore" in Algonkin (my Shawnee language) is sa-ki-mau, which means "he is chief".

Ken Lonewolf
  Previous Topic: Native American art in South Carolina Topic Next Topic: A Town of the Creek Nation 1790  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.45 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07