The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/3/2024 8:21:18 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 The Lake, 2003 tactical
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Military Matters Topic Next Topic: Lake George Tactical  

wlogwihlas
Pathfinder

Indian Party

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 25 2003

Posted - January 24 2004 :  7:33:42 PM  Show Profile  Send wlogwihlas a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

I have been asked to write an account of happenings at this years Lake George Tactical. Please understand that I write from the native point of view. I run with Roger Longtoes group. I believe that the Rangers have written their own account, so for further information on this great event, I suggest that you go to their site. Enjoy!

The first few days of the lake were quite. The first day was inactive. One of the natives had a dream that I would be shot by a modern bow hunter. So instead of trekking we went swimming, sang songs, and told stories of the old. This is a great example of what we would have done historically. Dreams would have played a very important role in our lives.

On Monday we decided to see what the rangers were doing. We canoed to shore and started humping it towards Rangers Bay. We spread out as we neared the bay, hoping to surprise any rangers who might be there. I was walking point with Robert, when suddenly he ducked down, and pointed out a ranger standing at the edge of the water. The ranger (Jay) started walking our way; Robert attempted a shot, but misfired, my gun did not. Jay looked surprised and took the hit. Seconds later another shot was fired and Private Chauncey was killed. We spread out, hoping that there might be more rangers, but found none. Suddenly, Jay and Chauncey started walking away. We called for them to stay until we had secured the area, but they ignored us. Customarily the dead will hang around for a few minutes, but these dead chose not to. Happy with our kills we left the area and returned to our canoes, and then our camp.

Monday night was beautiful. The water was flat and the moon was out. The perfect night for a canoe ride. We packed our gear, and canoed south, hoping to meet up with General Soule. The night was filled with a electricity that can only be experienced on the lake. While canoeing we sang songs, fired our guns, yelled threats, and lived up to our savage reputations in any way possible. Longtoe hoped the noise would draw some rangers out for a little night action. We met Soule at Fork island, and decided to stay their for the night. Now for those who don’t know much about the French, they just naturally attract the worse of characters, mainly the Rogers Rangers. Longtoe decided to use the French to his advantage and set up an ambush. He hoped the Rangers would decide to pay Soule a midnight visit, if they did they would hopefully enter our camp and trap. We spread out our bedrolls in the least likely spot, and waited. I was “sleeping” on the edge of a ravine, the closest to the hooters. Sure enough, after about 45 minutes the Rangers came. I was laying in my bed roll, trying to fain sleep, when I heard crackling directly in front of me. I alerted Longtoe, and then yelled, “Password?”. No reply was given. Longtoe, Mike, Dan and I spread out and started down into the ravine. Longtoe and his brother Mike took center, while Dan and I took the sides. We neared the hooter, Mike opened the door, while Longtoe prepared to capture anyone inside. It was empty. I circled around the hooter, while Longtoe and his brother continued forward. Suddenly Longtoe took the butt of his gun and nudged what appeared to be a stump. When the object stirred he said, “don’t move”. Suddenly off to his right something came up ramming right into the muzzle of his gun and breaking his ramrod. Then the thing hit him in the shoulder and a feminine voice yelled; “I just stabbed you”. Longtoe yelled, “son-of-a-b***h,” and jumped back. Mike, seeing his brother get stabbed, elevated and fired his gun, effectively ending Chauncey’s life, for the second time that day.

Within seconds the two rangers, Wade and Chauncey, were surrounded in a hollow square. Once again they tried to depart quickly, saying that they did not want to disturb our sleep. This time it was not happening. Wade had a bounty on his head, and we were determined to collect. Longtoe sent Dan ahead

hollow square...Now!!!
You probably are wondering why we are all gathered here today.
Look boys, we captured an "it".
report to moderator

42ndNCO
Pioneer

42ndEnsign
USA

September 23 2002

Posted - January 25 2004 :  5:14:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit 42ndNCO's Homepage  Send 42ndNCO an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Engaging telling of the tale....

Humbly &c.,
Ensign mcmillan
1/42nd Royal Highlanders
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - January 25 2004 :  8:03:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Excellent report of a very engaging engagment, Wlogwihlas. There is alot to say for listening to ones dreams as a portent of things to come. Us Highlanders are firm believers in the power and wisdom of dreams, remember the tale of Major Duncan Campbell of Inverawe? He had a dream which forcasted his death from over three thousand miles away, at a place which was not generally known by the name his dead brother gave him. Pretty convincing stuff, huh?

As to the angle of muzzles, I agree with your standards. It is standard operating procedure for the men of Graham's Company, during a private tactical, to go 'muzzles vertical' within 20 meters. Safety is common sense over-riding ego.

As I said before, excellent report.

Your Most Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - January 25 2004 :  8:36:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
TICONDEROGA!!!!!!!!!

Aye, Duncan......one of my favorite stories. Go here and read it:

http://www.mohicanpress.com/mo08011.html

In fact, read the whole page.....good stuff!

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

wlogwihlas
Pathfinder

Indian Party

September 25 2003

Posted - January 28 2004 :  10:52:54 AM  Show Profile  Send wlogwihlas a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Very interesting read, i enjoyed it quite a bit. Seamus how long have you been doing the lake? any good stories?

hollow square...Now!!!
You probably are wondering why we are all gathered here today.
Look boys, we captured an "it".
  Previous Topic: Military Matters Topic Next Topic: Lake George Tactical  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.27 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07