The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/8/2024 10:28:08 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Movies, Movies, More Movies! Any Movies!
 Other Great Films???
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: A&E--THE LAST KING Topic Next Topic: Classic Slapstick Poll  

Dances with Beagles
Colonial Settler

USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 19 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 30 2003 :  11:09:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, I'm wandering through the video store to find a *great* film to rent...and I found myself wondering, what other films capture the drama, the feeling, the "je ne sais quoi" that LOTM does?

LOTM has the history, the story, the scenery, the music, the romance, the drama, (and from today's weekly update, the blood and guts!).

"Braveheart" comes to mind for me, but I'd be interested to hear of others, especially any "hidden gems"!!

What other films, in your humble opinions (!), have these qualities?
report to moderator

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - November 30 2003 :  1:10:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
In my humble opinion, "The Thin Red Line" ranks up there with LOTM. Like LOTM the history is a little off, but the artistry, the music, the drama, the philosophy, the SCENERY, and the blood and guts are all there. This is one of those films I find myself going back to over and over, despite its flaws, just like LOTM. Some really great performances by Nick Nolte, Jim Caviezel, Ben Chaplin, and Elias Koteas (these are the ones that stick out in my mind.) There are so many beautiful scenes, the South Pacific is absolutely beautiful, and though I don't remember it, it's also my birthplace. And the soundtrack by Hans Zimmer is amazing, it really helped me through college as I stayed up all night writing those papers. Writing about this film, just makes me want to go watch it again, I think I will.

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 30 2003 :  6:52:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, of course, nothing even comes close to LOTM!

However, I really like Rob Roy starring Liam Neeson and Jessica Lange, which was made in 1995. Different... but good.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - December 01 2003 :  05:40:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Guess the key word here is "Great." Lots of really good films out there, but great ... ? Hard question.

Saw "The Thin Red Line" one time ... can't really judge that one, but I don't recall thinking it was great.

"Braveheart" & "Rob Roy" ... yes, I agree, both are great films. Two of my very favorites. Actually, in many ways, "Rob Roy" is the better of the two movies. And, it has, in my opinion, one of the best musical scores out there. They both have all the elements Dances With Beagles mentions ... plus one more ... the quality that, for me, truly makes a film "great." LOTM has it. The movie has to make me cry. Either tears of joy or sadness, but it has to make me cry ... to be great. That's why, despite its flaws [and what movie doesn't have some?], I rank "Braveheart" ahead of "Rob Roy" ... what a powerful ending it has! Tears!

Rather than run off a list, I'll just say that "Lonesome Dove" is a great film!!! More tears.

Here's one more, that doesn't fit the genre generally discussed here. "Meet Joe Black." Yes. That one made me cry - happy tears. It was panned by critics, but I rank it right near the top. All the right messages, great cast, absolutely superb music ... and it makes me cry ... every damn time!!

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - December 01 2003 :  2:41:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeh, but "Braveheart" makes "LOTM" and "The Patriot" look like the most correct movies ever made. Who ever wrote that script must have been smoking something!

Two Kettles
Colonial Settler

USA

August 01 2002

Posted - December 01 2003 :  11:30:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If you're looking for a rousing, atmospheric, romantic, historically based adventure movie with a great (Oscar nominated) score, check out THE WIND AND THE LION with Sean Connery, Candace Bergen, Brian Keith (amazing as Teddy Roosevelt) and John Huston. Unlike MOHICANS, the obvious attraction between the opposites never blossoms into romantic passion, but the chemistry is perhaps stronger because of it. It's only out on VHS now, but it's scheduled to be released in a widescreen DVD with commentary by director John Milius and other bells and whistles early next year.

Two Kettles

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - December 02 2003 :  5:42:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I also liked Capt.Corelli's Mandolin.I believe that Nicholas Cage(Coppola)does one of his best performances here.Also based on a true story.

One of my all-time favorites was Aliens (directed by James Cameron)because of the action as opposed the original Alien(directed by Ridley Scott).

Highlander

daire
Colonial Settler

USA

November 17 2002

Posted - December 03 2003 :  1:03:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Maybe not necessarily "great", but if you are into older films, I recommend the Topper trilogy starring Roland Young, they are hilarious; also Arsenic and Old Lace with Cary Grant (well, I like just about everything with him in it).

More "recent" movies...I will always watch LOTM (of course), Braveheart (all inaccuracies aside), Rob Roy, Titanic (for the sheer expanse of the movie...could care less about Leo), The Princess Bride, Gone With The Wind, Highlander, and new favorites are the LOTR movies and Pirates of the Caribbean.

Though, nothing will have the same feel of LOTM, and if there was, it may not be the same... It's like comparing chocolate to vanilla. lol

daire

gungnir
Lost in the Wilderness

Canada

December 03 2003

Posted - December 03 2003 :  11:26:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, if you're in the mood for some epic, wide screen adventure with incredible scenary and a lush score, check out "The Last Valley". It is a medieval story with Michael Cain and was filmed in the mountains near Austria. It's big, moving and very atmospheric.

Even though it was released many years ago, it still provides ample impact. I have this DVD sitting on the shelf next to my Mohicans, and if a DVD is going to brush up against my Mohicans , it gotta be damn good (Excalibur is on the other side).

Cheers, Gungnir

daire
Colonial Settler

USA

November 17 2002

Posted - December 04 2003 :  10:42:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
No preferential treatment for my DVDs...just stick 'em in alphabetical order. LOL A Knight's Tale is on one side and Legends of the Fall on the other.

daire

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - December 08 2003 :  5:39:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
My list of movies that "pack an emotional punch" includes in no particular order:

Apocalypse Now - Redux, Black Robe, Dances w/ Wolves - extended, Patton, The Patriot, The Mission, Eastwood's "Man With No Name" trilogy(Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, &The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly), Lawrence of Arabia, The Razor's Edge-Bill Murray's finest, Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, White Squall, Kundun, Tombstone, The Unforgiven, The Right Stuff, Twelve O'clock High, Memphis Belle, The Story of GI Joe, and (guilty pleasure) Ladyhawke.

Bookworm
Colonial Militia

USA

February 10 2004

Donating Member

Posted - March 21 2004 :  5:20:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Before LOTM, my favorite movie, which I saw several times on the big screen, was "Out of Africa." It has many of the elements that make LOTM so unforgettable -- gorgeous scenery, beautiful soundtrack, great lead actress (none greater, IMHO), excellent supporting characters, and a story about a woman of refined background who finds herself in a new and very challenging environment, and rises to the challenge. Notice anything missing? Yep, a great male lead. I just don't like Robert Redford as an actor (he even annoyed me in Jeremiah Johnson), and Karen Blixen's romance with Redford's character, Denys Finch-Hatton, is the weakest part of the movie. ("You've ruined it for me, you know...being alone" -- yuck!) Far more interesting are Karen's relationships with Bror Blixen, her friend/husband/ex; Berkeley Cole, Deny's partner in big-game hunting; Lord Delamere, governor of Kenya; and most important of all, Farah Aden, for whom the word "servant" is woefully inadequate. It's hard to describe the relationship between Karen and Farah -- "passionate respect," maybe. My favorite scene occurs as Karen leads a safari to bring supplies to the men who've gone to war, and as night approaches Farah goes ahead to light a fire that will lead her to their campsite, then stands there proudly, waiting for her. Go ahead, guys, give it a try -- just fast-forward through Redford, if you have to, and you'll see a great movie! One that's still in my top five.

Another very moving movie, and also in my top five, is "Gettysburg." No romance, thankfully -- just great portraits of a few men, principally General John Buford (the always wonderful Sam Elliott) and Colonel Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain (the equally wonderful Jeff Daniels), who realize that saving the Union may come down to what they are able to do in the next few moments, and so they find the strength to do what they have to do. The moment when Buford's desperate waiting comes to an end as he sees General Reynolds approaching with the First Corps to take over the fight from the cavalry, who couldn't have held much longer, is to me much more moving than most of the romances I've seen on screen. As is Reynolds' death a few moments later; and Chamberlain's summoning of the inner warrior as he shouts "Bayonets!!!!"; and Longstreet's realization that the outcome of "Pickett's" charge is mathematical, and his boys are going to die for nothing. And that awesome soundtrack ... the only one that might possibly equal LOTM's.
  Previous Topic: A&E--THE LAST KING Topic Next Topic: Classic Slapstick Poll  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.41 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07