The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/7/2024 7:29:48 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Movies, Movies, More Movies! Any Movies!
 The Missing!!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Jim Jarmuschs Dead Man Topic Next Topic: Fitzcarraldo  

Cyndie
Pathfinder

Virgo
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
February 19 2003

Posted - November 27 2003 :  01:14:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cyndie's Homepage  Send Cyndie an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Clabert and I just got home from seeing The Missing. Are we the only ones who didn't know that Eric was in this movie??? We kept looking at this ugly, scar faced, very bad bruho (spelling?) who looked vaguely familiar and didn't figure out until we saw the credits that it was ES himself!!! Guess we should have looked closer at the poster outside cuz it said it right there. Wow. What a part! How do they do that???? No pretty boy this time! Pretty decent movie too. Personally - I wish they would have let you into the characters a bit more... Many, many running horses, lots of killin', and some mystical stuff too. Not my new favorite but not bad!

Cyndie Menard
"wife of the famous French Trader"
report to moderator

Chris
Colonial Settler

Hawkeye II
USA

May 25 2002

Posted - November 27 2003 :  2:31:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Cyndie,
I knew Eric was in it, and I've been waiting somewhat impatiently for it to come out. I hope to go this weekend. It's getting mixed reviews. I think the lack of characterization is a problem with a lot of the reviewers. I'm anxious to see for myself. Thanks for posting.
Chris
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - November 29 2003 :  7:13:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I saw "The Missing" over the weekend. Not too bad, I liked it. Eric sure was mean and ugly in this one, the kind of villian you really want to see die in the end, but not enough character development to explain why he was mean and ugly. Another surprise appearance was Val Kilmer as the cavalry lieutenant. Everything I had seen about this movie previously only mentioned Tommy Lee Jones and Kate Blanchett.

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

Cyndie
Pathfinder

Virgo
USA

February 19 2003

Posted - November 29 2003 :  7:55:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cyndie's Homepage  Send Cyndie an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
We were surprised to see Val also. I am a big fan of his (but I have to see I like him a little thinner! hee hee)

Cyndie Menard

Cyndie
Pathfinder

Virgo
USA

February 19 2003

Posted - November 29 2003 :  7:57:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cyndie's Homepage  Send Cyndie an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I meant to say "I have to say"!!!

Cyndie Menard

Chris
Colonial Settler

Hawkeye II
USA

May 25 2002

Posted - November 29 2003 :  11:40:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I saw The Missing this afternoon. It was good, but not excellent. Eric sure played one ugly dude!! About the only thing I recognized was his voice. I didn't recognize Val Kilmer. I may have to see it again to check him out.
Chris

Ro
Pathfinder

December 08 2003

Posted - December 14 2003 :  4:38:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I saw The Missing last night, I think it will be one of those you either love it or hate it movies. It could use some help in the editing department, a lot of scenes went on too long and seem to drag on forever. Jay Tavare did an excellent job.

Gadget Girl
Gatherer of Gathering Gadgets

Winking Lady
USA

May 17 2002

Donating Member

Posted - December 15 2003 :  11:18:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Gadget Girl an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Saw The Missing this weekend. It was worth watching, but I left feeling some things could have been done better. Normally, I LOVE Tommy Lee Jones, but he disappointed me in this. I never quite understood him...too vague! Eric I thought was GREAT! The most believable character in the movie. He was SO BIG! He loomed over most of the characters and that made him appear that much more menacing. MAN...did they make his face UGLY! Rutty, gray complexion, horrible teeth and gums. You all are right about character development. The movie left you too much room to speculate about motivations, That should have been done better. All that said...go see it just to see Eric's performance - the best in the movie for my money!

GG

Two Kettles
Colonial Settler

USA

August 01 2002

Posted - December 15 2003 :  2:00:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If you found THE MISSING interesting, but confusing regarding some motivations, etc., and ultimately relatively unsatisfying, read Eidson's novel ("The Last Ride"). Although it's hardly a classic, I felt the characters were much better defined, motivations clearer, and I especially felt the mystical/religious aspects were much better handled. I'm a little surprised that Eidson was a producer on THE MISSING, and has been quite kind to it in interviews, etc. Maybe he's hoping that by staying positive he can get a better movie made from "St. Agnes' Stand".

Two Kettles

P.S. If this is Ron Howard's idea of an adult, complex movie, I'm glad he didn't make THE ALAMO...

Dillon1836
Deerslayer

richfed
USA

July 17 2003

Posted - December 15 2003 :  4:40:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dillon1836's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Two different movies with two different plots.....

www.alamosentry.com

Ro
Pathfinder

December 08 2003

Posted - December 15 2003 :  6:45:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks Two Kettles, I'm sure the book is in my city library. I am curious to see how the book compares to the movie. I did feel something was 'missing' when I left the theater, besides my 8 dollars ;=D

Two Kettles
Colonial Settler

USA

August 01 2002

Posted - December 15 2003 :  10:35:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Wade,

While you're absolutely right that it's "two different movies, two different plots", what I was getting at is that, according to most reports, Howard walked out on THE ALAMO not because of the money, but because he wanted to make an R-rated, dark, complex movie and Disney wanted a PG-13, more "family friendly" (read higher Box Office) story. Presumably, THE MISSING is the kind of movie Howard was looking to make. Some of the criticisms of the first previews of THE ALAMO, which led to its being pushed back to next April, were that it was unfocused, lacking in depth in its characterizations, and didn't involve the audience emotionally. These same criticisms are being levelled at THE MISSING. If THE ALAMO is able to overcome these problems, it'll almost certainly be due to Hancock's efforts and, arguably, because he moved it well beyond Howard's preparations. And, IMHO, it'll be because Hancock, not Howard, directed THE ALAMO.

Two Kettles

Cyndie
Pathfinder

Virgo
USA

February 19 2003

Posted - December 15 2003 :  11:58:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cyndie's Homepage  Send Cyndie an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I know that (aside from what kind of director Alamo proves him to be) Clabert said John Lee seemed to be a pretty nice fellow. I will attempt sometime in the future to scan a couple of pictures of the two of them on the last day of filming.

Cyndie Menard

Kurt
Mohicanite

The Old Trapper
USA

September 27 2003

Posted - December 16 2003 :  07:07:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Just saw a Associated Press story about The Missing:

Most adult Apaches in the audiences have said they could understand every word of the Chiricahua dialect - and the children suddenly wished they could, too.

It was the first film that any of them could remember in which Apache was spoken well enough on screen to be understood. Usually, Westerns were dubbed in Navajo, a related language, said supporting actor Steve Reevis, a Montana Blackfoot who has worked several films but never spoke Apache before "The Missing."

Yr. obt. svt.
Kurt
  Previous Topic: Jim Jarmuschs Dead Man Topic Next Topic: Fitzcarraldo  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.58 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07