The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/3/2024 4:33:52 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The Muster
 Recreated Historical Units
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Reenactor Networking Made Easy Topic Next Topic: The Braddock Road Preservation Association  

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 12 2003 :  06:16:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello All,
I figured since a thread has already been started on our reenacting personas and the weapons we use, I thought it might be a good idea to tell the readers a little about the units you reenact with. This could be as fun as sharing the other information we had in the past threads.

If you are one of the founding members of a recreated company, tribe, milita, etc., please tell the readers a little about the actual history of your 'unit'. Also include what gave you the inspiration in recreating your particular unit. If the region you live in has a certain geographical affiliation with your recreated unit's historical counterpart, please include that as well. If you joined your particular unit after the fact, tell us what made you choose that unit.

Once again, let me thank all of you for sharing your knowledge and experience with your fellow residents here in Mohicanland.

Your Most Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."
report to moderator

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 12 2003 :  08:16:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, I guess I could take point on this one. My unit is Captain Graham's Company of the 42nd Royal Highland Regiment. 'Highlander', Ensign Fergus MacMillan and I started this unit in early 2002. We portray an actual battalion company of the 42nd RHR that was assigned to Fort Pitt (present day Pittsburgh (PA), my home) from 1763-1767.

The three of us got started in French & Indian War reenacting when we joined Captain Robertson's Company of the 77th Regiment of Foote (Mongomery's Highland Battalion), which also had historical ties to my hometown. When we decided that we wanted to 'strike out on our own', we originally were going to do another company of the 77th. That was when Ensign MacMillan came up with the idea of doing a 42nd RHR F&IW impression, since nobody does that in the mid-atlantic region. I was the one who did alot of the research, and decided which company we would portray. The choice of Captain Graham's Coy., was made due to the fact that his company had taken part in every major campaign of the 42nd RHR, during their stay in North America (1756-1767). This decided, and all the bugs worked out, we started took to the field officially in June 2002 with 6 men total. Word of mouth helped draw recruits from all over western Pennsylvania (and one guy from central Ohio) to where we now number 20 effectives and 4 distaff (including a drummer and a piper).

I have included below a brief historical sketch, which I had written for "The Thistle" (a periodical of the St. Andrew's Society of Pittsburgh), of my regiment and its service in North America:

The 42nd Royal Highland Regiment, in the Ohio Country 1763-1767
"Frontier Peacekeepers and Protectors of The Forbes Road"

by Edward S. Vogler Jr.

The 42nd Royal Highland Regiment, also known as 'The Black Watch', were first embodied as a regiment of the line in the British Army in 1740. Made of the old independant companies which policed the Scottish Highlands, their baptism of fire was to be on the European Continent at the Battle of Fontenoy on 9 May 1745. After the battle, the men of the 42nd (43rd, before being re-numbered in 1749) earned the reputation as steady, cool and professional soldiers of the king.

With hostilities breaking out again between England and France, the 42nd was shipped to North America in 1756. Initially posted in the Hudson River Valley, the 42nd distinguished itself again for its conduct during the poorly planned attack at Ticonderoga in July 1758. Later that year, the 42nd recieved a Royal Warrant renaming the senior highland regiment as The Royal Highland Regiment, this was in recognition for faithful service and not the action at Ticonderoga, as some may believe. After Crown Point was taken in late 1759, the 42nd then was dispatched to campaign against both French and Spanish possessions in the Carribean. Actions at Martinique and Cuba served only to reinforce the reputation of the Royal Highland Regiment.

Returning to New York in December of 1762, worn with battle losses and rife with tropical illness, the boys of the 'forty-twa' had little time to rest. During the late spring of 1763, a well coordinated offensive by several Native American Nations caused the fall of all but two British Forts in the Ohio Country. Those two remaining forts, Ft. Detroit and Ft. Pitt, were both under a very disciplined siege. The 42nd was again called to service.

Assigned as part of Col. Bouquet's Relief Expedition, along with elements of the 77th Highlanders and the 60th Royal Americans, the 42nd had its work cut out for them. After a forced march along the Forbes Military Road, the field force encountered an ambush within a mile of Bushy Run Station (a watering and cantonment waypoint). After almost 24 hours of exposure to thirst, hunger and very effective sniper fire, Col. Bouquet enacted a plan to save is besieged 'relief force'. After a sucessful ruse, followed by a flanking action, the Native F

-Or-
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - November 12 2003 :  09:08:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Go here to learn about the 3rd Battalion Pennsylvania, The Augusta Regiment.

www.augustaregt.com

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

42ndNCO
Pioneer

42ndEnsign
USA

September 23 2002

Posted - November 23 2003 :  08:02:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit 42ndNCO's Homepage  Send 42ndNCO an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SgtMunro

"That was when Ensign MacMillan came up with the idea of doing a 42nd RHR F&IW impression, since nobody does that in the mid-atlantic region."

~~Actually I suggested the 42nd because the blue facings highlight my rugged Highland good looks so much better than green.~~

Humbly &c.,

Image Insert:

2.98 KB
mcmillan

Humbly &c.,
Ensign mcmillan
1/42nd Royal Highlanders

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 24 2003 :  12:16:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Mister McMillan sir, how are you today. Tis good to see you here, I'm sure the Captain will chime in shortly with similar greetings. It is good to see your promotion to Ensign finally came through, given the slow state of communication, since you do have a gentlemans air about you. I look forward to reading some of your thoughts as well.

Your Most Humble & Obedient Servant,

-Or-

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - November 24 2003 :  12:39:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by 42ndNCO

quote:

"That was when Ensign MacMillan came up with the idea of doing a 42nd RHR F&IW impression, since nobody does that in the mid-atlantic region."

~~Actually I suggested the 42nd because the blue facings highlight my rugged Highland good looks so much better than green.~~

Humbly &c.,

Image Insert:

2.98 KB
mcmillan

Hoot Mon!It is good to see you on the board McMillan.

Highlander

YoungNative
Pioneer

May 19 2003

Posted - November 24 2003 :  11:47:35 PM  Show Profile  Send YoungNative an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Its nice to see my friends from the highland regiment. How are all of you?
Congrats on the promotion McMilan.

-MarK "ouisaw kitehi"

"Re-enacting is life, the rest is just history." -me

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -M. L. King Jr.

"music is like this porthole into another world - the world of truth."
-Trey Anastasio

"you do not have to fear what goes bump in the night, when you become what lurks in the dark" - unknown

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 25 2003 :  03:57:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello my Nephew, I am glad to see that you are over the flu bug that had you down and out. I look forward to marching with you and my Shawnee Brother, at the parade on friday. The weather should be warmer, so you may not need your capote or matchcoat. Till then...

Your Highland Uncle,

-Or-

42ndNCO
Pioneer

42ndEnsign
USA

September 23 2002

Posted - November 25 2003 :  3:48:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit 42ndNCO's Homepage  Send 42ndNCO an AOL message  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
I look forward to reading some of your thoughts as well.
Your Most Humble & Obedient Servant,

Sir,

May I return your greetings 10-Fold. I, too look forward to the upcoming celebration of thanks and its associated parade along the banks of the Allegheny....

Humbly &c.,
Ensign mcmillan
1/42nd Royal Highlanders
  Previous Topic: Reenactor Networking Made Easy Topic Next Topic: The Braddock Road Preservation Association  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.36 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07