The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/5/2024 1:34:30 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Historical Sites!
 Fortress Louisbourg
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Fort Freeland Topic Next Topic: On this day in history, ....  

Grenouille
Colonial Settler

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 17 2002

Posted - October 31 2003 :  5:55:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grenouille's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Here is a good description of Louisbourg, if you have never been there before: http://aco.ca/travel/louisbourg1.htm

Regards,
Jim
report to moderator

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - November 03 2003 :  02:24:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Grenouille

Hi,

Here is a good description of Louisbourg, if you have never been there before: http://aco.ca/travel/louisbourg1.htm

Regards,
Jim

Sounds good.When's the next event?

Highlander
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - November 03 2003 :  02:48:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I think that there was an F&I Grand Encampment there in '99, but I haven't heard of anything since.

Your Most Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

Grenouille
Colonial Settler

May 17 2002

Posted - November 03 2003 :  08:06:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Grenouille's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi,
I was there in '99 for the bgrand encampment to commemorate the 250th of the return of the fort to the French in 1749. I imagine the next event will be in 2008 to commemorate the 250th of the recapture of Louisbourg by the British. It is pretty cool when the frequent fog banks blow in from the Atlantic, and the only thing you can see around you is the town. Louisbourg is the Canadian version of Williamsburg. The neat thing about Louisbourg is that it sits on a peninsula, by itself, and there is nothing 20th century around it. Visitors must park their cars at the visitors center about 2 miles away from the fort. Then a bus brings them up near the fort, and you have to walk the final 500 or 600 ft up to the main gate. You don't
see any cars, telephone poles/ electric lines, anywhere near the fort. The only thing you can see from the fort is the modern town of Louisbourg, about a mile and half across the bay. But, when the fog rolls in it blocks out the modern town, and you really feel like your in the "Twilight Zone!"

Jim

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - November 03 2003 :  2:30:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I would definitely like to do that.I've heard a lot about it,mostly from the French units.We'll probably be doing Fort Ti in 2008 as well.

Highlander

Two Kettles
Colonial Settler

USA

August 01 2002

Posted - November 04 2003 :  10:28:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Grenouille wrote:
"But, when the fog rolls in it blocks out the modern town, and you really feel like your in the "Twilight Zone!"

Interesting that you should mention that. Whenever I think of Louisbourg, I think of Nancy Bond's exceptional novel "Another Shore". I think it's mandatory reading for serious living historians and reenactors. It's a time travel novel that ignores most of the cliches of time travel stories. A modern day high school student steps into one of those "Twilight Zone" fog banks, and walks out the other side in 1744. Instead of centering on her efforts to get back, or trying to change history, Bond shows what she has to do to adapt to the 18th century. Anyone who thinks maybe they would have preferred that time to our own really needs to read this book!

Two Kettles

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - November 05 2003 :  5:48:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
I imagine the next event will be in 2008

Does Loiusbourg have regular events on a yearly or monthly basis? I would like to see the place, but it would be nice if something was going on at the time.

Grenouille
Colonial Settler

May 17 2002

Posted - November 05 2003 :  6:43:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grenouille's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Fitz,
Click on this website to find more about Louisbourg:
http://collections.ic.gc.ca/louisbourg/

They are open from about May to the end of September. Like Williamsburg, they have their own costumed staff.

Jim

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - November 06 2003 :  11:09:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
If you've ever seen the French film The Widow of St. Pierre, most of it was filmed at Fortress Louisbourg. It takes place in the 19th century, but has some great shots of the town.

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

Grenouille
Colonial Settler

May 17 2002

Posted - November 06 2003 :  10:46:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grenouille's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Ranger,
Thanks for the info on the film. Some scenes from the Walt Disney movie "Squanto" were filmed at Louisbourg, too. It makes a nice movie set, uh?

Jim

'
quote:
Originally posted by CT•Ranger

If you've ever seen the French film The Widow of St. Pierre, most of it was filmed at Fortress Louisbourg. It takes place in the 19th century, but has some great shots of the town.

Grenouille
Colonial Settler

May 17 2002

Posted - November 07 2003 :  12:36:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grenouille's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi,

Here is another link on Louisbourg:
http://louisbourg.com/sights.html

Jim

Grenouille
Colonial Settler

May 17 2002

Posted - November 07 2003 :  12:45:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grenouille's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Here is the movie review for the Widow of St. Pierre:

http://homevideo.about.com/library/weekly/aa092601a.htm

Sounds like an interesting movie, I'll have to see about renting or buying it.

Jim

quote:
Originally posted by CT•Ranger

Kurt
Mohicanite

The Old Trapper
USA

September 27 2003

Posted - November 08 2003 :  2:34:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
For an overview of the history of Fortress Louisbourg, "the Great Fortress" is available on Project Gutenberg.

http://www.ibiblio.org/gutenberg/etext04/cca0810.txt

Kurt

Yr. obt. svt.
Kurt

c8lin
Lost in the Wilderness

Metallica3
Canada

February 07 2004

Posted - February 07 2004 :  7:46:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit c8lin's Homepage  Click to see c8lin's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello everyone, I'm new to this message board. I would just like to take the time to introduce myself. My name is Caitlin, I'm almost 16. I was recently browsing the internet and I decided to look up information on a movie I was an extra in, The Widow of Saint-Pierre and I stumbled across this message board. I would just like to say that I live in Louisbourg, I noticed you have a lot of questions about our little town. My uncle was also in the movie "Squanto". I have some pictures of our town if you'd like to see them. I'd also like to add that I volunteer @ the fortress every summer (as does my sister) and both my parents work there, my mother is an animator. Reply if you want additional info.

-=C8lin=-

Grenouille
Colonial Settler

May 17 2002

Posted - August 18 2007 :  4:08:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grenouille's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Here are some pictures of the '99 Encampment:

Image Insert:

46.24 KB

Image Insert:

45.28 KB

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 18 2007 :  4:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I got my invitation in the mail yesterday. Can't wait!

"Les deux pieds contre la muraille et la tete sous le robinet"

halfbreed
Pioneer

June 18 2006

Posted - August 18 2007 :  6:18:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
we need a invite....dont have a clue who to talk to....maybe i should get ahold of mike malecki....
h-b

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 18 2007 :  6:52:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I sent you a PM.

halfbreed
Pioneer

June 18 2006

Posted - August 19 2007 :  11:34:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
just calculated the distance and travel time to louisbourg....roughly 1200 miles from my house and a 20 hour drive. i need to be there.
h-b

Obediah
Mohicanland Statesman

Skull 5
USA

August 16 2006

Donating Member

Posted - August 20 2007 :  12:54:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Ooh, I just did the distance/driving time calculation from my house to Louisbourg ... ~3950 miles & 60 hours without stopping!!! Think I have to pass on it for a few years...

Fitzhugh Williams
Mohicanland Statesman

July 17 2005

Posted - August 20 2007 :  10:53:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Obediah

Ooh, I just did the distance/driving time calculation from my house to Louisbourg ... ~3950 miles & 60 hours without stopping!!! Think I have to pass on it for a few years...

60 hours? You gonna get yourself one of those diapers like that astronaut woman had? And some Jolt cola?

Motor home is the way to go. Get about 4 or 5 others and take turns driving. You get tired, so you climb in the bed. You get hungry, you heat something up on the stove. The have a john, so you don't even need the diaper! You can even take a bath, if you are so inclined. And all this while going down the road at 70 mph.

Grenouille
Colonial Settler

May 17 2002

Posted - August 20 2007 :  12:58:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grenouille's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi,
I'm going to try and take the "easy way out," again, by driving up to Toronto and flying up from there like I did in '99. It's about a 3 hour flight (approx. 2 hrs. from Toronto to Halifax, then 1 hr. from Halifax to Sydney) vs. a 3 day drive. The only problem is going to be is finding someone to carry my equipment for me.

The nice people at Louisbourg will actually drive out to the Sydney airport to pick you up. They will also drive people to the airport for the return flight home, too.

With the price of gas, the cost of flying is comperable to what it would cost in gas to drive up.

Grenouille (frog in French)

quote:
Originally posted by Fitzhugh Williams

quote:
Originally posted by Obediah

60 hours? You gonna get yourself one of those diapers like that astronaut woman had? And some Jolt cola?

Motor home is the way to go. Get about 4 or 5 others and take turns driving. You get tired, so you climb in the bed. You get hungry, you heat something up on the stove. The have a john, so you don't even need the diaper! You can even take a bath, if you are so inclined. And all this while going down the road at 70 mph.

Lapus
Colonial Settler

Uncas Small
Canada

June 23 2007

Posted - August 20 2007 :  4:01:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You'll love Louisbourg! I grew up in Halifax Nova Scotia and had great trips to the fort when I was growing up. Cape Breton is a wonderful place with incredibuly nice people.
Hope you enjoy your trip, let us know all the details when your back.

Later days,
Lapus

It’s All About The Pain, The Jewelry And Ink Are Just Souvenirs!

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 21 2007 :  11:26:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I sure would love to go to this one. Our sister Battalion (Weiser's 1st PA) will be going and I could fall in with them. I simply cannot afford either the money or the vacation time.

"It is more deeply stirring to my blood than any imaginings could possibly have been."
  Previous Topic: Fort Freeland Topic Next Topic: On this day in history, ....  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.45 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07