The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
7/6/2024 5:14:35 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Historical Sites!
 Fort Pitt Blockhouse,Point State Park
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Washingtons whiskey re-created Topic Next Topic: Please read this  

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
February 04 2003

Posted - October 05 2003 :  11:08:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One of five blockhouses that were built outside of Fort Pitt after Pontiac's War ended in Western Pennsylvania in 1764.It is run by the Daughters of the American Revolution,and has no connection to the P.H.M.C.It has undergone recent excavations(see previous posts)where many artifacts were uncovered such as the 1737 Spanish Reale and wampum beads.It will soon feature new interpretive displays as well.Check out www.fortpittmuseum.com

Highlander
report to moderator

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 06 2003 :  02:44:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
It should be interesting to note that Bryan, who played George Washington in "George Washington's First War", was one of the lead archeologists on the excavation. I believe it was he that uncovered the Spanish Specie.

Your Most Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - October 07 2003 :  11:41:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SgtMunro

It should be interesting to note that Bryan, who played George Washington in "George Washington's First War", was one of the lead archeologists on the excavation. I believe it was he that uncovered the Spanish Specie.

Yes he did,and he will also play GW in the soon to be released DVD version of"When the Forest Ran Red:Washington,Braddock and a Doomed Army"I believe that this will be available for sale in the blockhouse.

Highlander

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - October 07 2003 :  7:50:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
The rededication for the Blockhouse will be on Oct.18,2003 at 10:00am for anyone who is interested.Some of us from the 42nd will be making an appearance.

Highlander

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - October 07 2003 :  8:24:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Ed!

I have had this in my files for years, and I thought I'd share it since it is the subject of this thread.

This picture is from 1911, but I think you may know that. It was taken during a flood. Looks a little different there now, eh? It is miraculous that it has survived to this day with all it has endured for over 200 years.

Image Insert:

13.12 KB

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - October 07 2003 :  11:59:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
This picture is from 1911,

You know, it is a color photo, and they didn't have color photos in 1911. Must be later.

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - October 08 2003 :  12:08:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Actually experimental color processes were tested as far back as the 1870's and a commercial color process was available to the general public by

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 08 2003 :  12:20:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Nice photo Seamus, and Susquesus is correct about the little known coloring process developed in the last quarter of the nineteeth century. One book you will find it used in is the first edition (1898) of Thomas Montgomery Lynch's "Frontier Forts of Pennsylvania". It was a novel and very expensive process, and also why it was not used in the 1916 edition of the same book.

-Or-

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 08 2003 :  12:22:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
P.S. - Seamus, could you do your wayward cousin a favor and e-mail me a copy of that picture?

Your Most Humble Cousin,

-Or-

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - October 08 2003 :  06:48:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I am not so sure it is a color image, Fitz. The one I have on file is much larger than what the Board will accept in size and it is all brown. I suspect it was a black and white which, over the years, has turned brown, as many old photos do. But Susquesus and Duncan are right about the color process. It has been around long enough to have been used in 1911. Nonetheless, B&W or primitive color, it is a great shot!

Duncan, lad, watch your mail! I'll try not to spill any flood waters on your 'puter.

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - October 08 2003 :  11:51:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Seamus

Hey Ed!

I have had this in my files for years, and I thought I'd share it since it is the subject of this thread.

This picture is from 1911, but I think you may know that. It was taken during a flood. Looks a little different there now, eh? It is miraculous that it has survived to this day with all it has endured for over 200 years.

Great shot cousin,if nothing else,it illustrates the problems that both Fort Duquesne & Fort Pitt had with the flooding there.

Highlander

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - October 19 2003 :  11:25:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I attended the rededication of the Blockhouse yesterday with Pvt.McConnell.The Virginian appeared less than pleased to see us,however,the little old ladies from the D.A.R loved us.There are big plans for the future of the Blockhouse.An exciting time to be sure.

Highlander

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 20 2003 :  01:03:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Those folks from the DAR are most certainly good people. I find it refreshing to see that they are always getting new members as well. 'Tis a good sign indeed...

-Or-
  Previous Topic: Washingtons whiskey re-created Topic Next Topic: Please read this  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.39 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07