The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
7/6/2024 4:58:48 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Historical Sites!
 Williamsburg
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Johnson Hall Market Fair Topic Next Topic: Landis Valley Museum
Page: of 2

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 29 2003 :  1:07:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morgaine...? Are you out there...?

One of the email lists I belong to has been having a somewhat heated discussion about some changes that are apparently taking place at Williamsburg. I don't completely understand what is transpiring but on the surface, anyway, it appears to look not too good. You seem to have very close ties to CW, so I thought I would ask your opinion on this. Here's the most recent message put through:

"To update the list about the financial crisis at Colonial Williamsburg - mismanagement seems to be running rampant. At the same time that 95 interpreters are scheduled to be laid off at the end of the year, the administration is going ahead with plans to:
1- build and co-sponsor a health evaluation clinic adjacent to the historic area for the rich (two day health exam for $3000)
2- knock down the craft house shop building and build a spa
3- knock down the Abby Aldrich Folk Art Museum and rebuild it as an annex to the the Hennage Museum.
4 - renovate the Lodge lobby to attract the elite.
5 - At any one time only one craft category exhibit building will be open - such as - if the gunsmith is open, then the blacksmith, silversmith, etc. will be closed.

Things are getting worse. Less and less emphasis is being given to living history and attacting families to CW - the focus is going to be a playground for the rich consisting of spas, golf courses and no history.
This and further information is available at the Virginia Gazzette website's archives from the beginning of September to now. It is time to get out the quill and write more letters, if we want CW to be what we all have come to enjoy and love.

Hmmmm... any thoughts... comments? Has anyone else heard anything about this?
report to moderator

Bill R
Colonial Militia

Farm Gnome
USA

July 03 2002

Posted - September 29 2003 :  3:08:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have not heard anything about that, but haven't heard much about CW of late. If true, THAT'S HORRIBLE! I LOVE THAT PLACE. I have been going there ever since I was about 10 yrs old, had my honeymoon there for crying out loud. My kids went there with me many times. They love it there. One of the BIGGEST attractions was going through all the craft shops and talking to the craftsmen who took as much time as you wanted explaining things and answering questions about how things were done back then.

On the other hand, I would not be surprised to see CW make this move. It was only a matter of time when it went from non-profit to for-profit. Moreover, I really don't think there is as much real colonial history and interest being taught in the grade schools as there was in the 40's, 50's and 60's.....and certainly not the interest there was during the 70's and bi-centenial. (see my Singing Wheels post separately).

The good old days of non-profit. Eat in the taverns, and they came around and asked if you wanted seconds of side dishes, bread, etc.
"More spoon bread sir?" "More ratatouile sir?" All shops were open, and you could ride the busses without a ticket.
You could stay in a colonial house for something like $36 per night (as we did on our honeymoon). Ah. The good old days.

I am sure it is mis-mangement partly, but the times I have been there over the last few years was NOT NEARLY as crowded at the same times previous years. Used to be annoying school busses and school busses of kids all over the place. Couldn't walk down the main drag without stop starting from all the people for a mile. Going in the shops was a squeeze. Not any more. Seems like only half the people are going than there was 20 years ago. And a damn pity. Don't know where the school trips are going anymore, but will bet it isnt historical sights anymore. Aquariums maybe, or some such. Gettysburg wasn't as crowded either. Half the school busses.

God dammit! They took Taylor Pork Roll away from OC boardwalk, Bethlehem Steel is being torn down, Peke Inn Chinese Restaurant in Phillipsburg NJ has been gone for years, and NOW they wanna fu*k with Williamsburg?????????????????? WHERE'S MY MUSKET! SCREW THE MUSKET - WHERE'S MY AK-47!!!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - September 29 2003 :  7:16:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sounds almost surreal. I haven't heard a thing about it, but if this is as it reads ... a sad day, for sure. I've been there but once ... would like to go again someday. Sign of the times, I guess. Once people forget where they came from, they are lost.

Doc M
Great Quack Healer of the Frontier

Wicked Unicorn
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - September 29 2003 :  7:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I haven't been back to Williamsburg for years, but I loved it
when I was little. I still have the little tiny horse shoe the
blacksmith made me. Of course, my sister DID put me in the stocks
and told me my parents had said to leave me there, but she was
just jealous because I was such an adorable, angelic child.

Unfortunately, it seems to be the trend to Disney-fy non-profits.
The museum which is next to the library where I work has a world
famous dinosaur collection, but that doesn't seem to be enough these
days -- they have so many exhibits now that talk and flash and beep
and are "interactive" that when you walk through there you can barely
hear yourself think. Not to mention that our library is now doing a
major renovation where there'll be a coffee bar, a bamboo garden,
and flashing computerized signboards -- everything but books and
a quiet place to read. We must even be ever vigilant to combat such
evils as library smells -- that lovely, slightly musty smell of old
books and leather bindings is anathema to our hot new image!
Only Starbucks smell is allowed.

Oh well, I'm just a fusty old fart I guess. What do I know from
anything?

Doc M

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - September 29 2003 :  8:00:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
hear yourself think.

This is the way most museums who cater to kids and "families" are going these days. Sadly, it's the only way they're trying to get the kids' attention. When the school group goes through a museum like this, the kids immediately flock to all the flashing lights and buttons, while completely ignoring the rest. Personally I can't stand museums like that, let alone the 100 screaming little animals (I mean kids) running around. I won't go to them.

As for kids not being taught colonial or early american history, that's the result of government standardized testing. History classes, as with most other subjects these days, are taught strictly for the tests. If it's not gonna be on the test the teacher doesn't teach it, because his or her job depends on wether their kids pass the test. And guess what, the government liberals who right the tests don't give a crap about early american history. The majority of these tests are about minorities and the social struggles of the 19th century industrial revolution, and the 1960s. The vast majority of grade school and high school kids can't tell the difference between the American Revolution and World War II. And good luck trying to find one who's ever heard of the French and Indian War.

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

Bill R
Colonial Militia

Farm Gnome
USA

July 03 2002

Posted - September 29 2003 :  9:06:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Refer over to Singing Wheels post. Ever see Jay Leno walk the street asking your average high school grad history questions? It's enough to make you weep. Or when he brings in the street folks for his game show quiz? Criminee even with pictures they can't get it.

After all though.........why would we wanna learn about a bunch of old, dead white men 200 years ago? What could we possibly learn from them, eh?

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - September 29 2003 :  11:03:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Exactly Bill! I was thinking of the same thing when writing my post. As a history major in college there were few people I could talk to about my interests, as the average person knows very little or cares little about history.

People love to laugh at Homer Simpson as an idiot, but the sad thing is, I think he represents the average American.

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

Bill R
Colonial Militia

Farm Gnome
USA

July 03 2002

Posted - September 30 2003 :  12:39:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah. When Hillary talks about destroying the BOR in the context of ridiculing those "old, dead white guys" she is reaping the benefits of 30 years of socialized public education. Few are taught the real foundations and sacrifices of our country, so they don't know to be damn mad at a comment like that and all it implies. Bet they know and have been taught about at least ONE "old dead white guy" though........Karl Marx. Somewhere in their studies. You'll probably find more kids today defending the concepts of Marx than you ever will the concepts of our founding fathers. Betcha.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - September 30 2003 :  05:59:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Doc M

Unfortunately, it seems to be the trend to Disney-fy non-profits.
hear yourself think. Not to mention that our library is now doing a
major renovation where there'll be a coffee bar, a bamboo garden,
and flashing computerized signboards -- everything but books and
a quiet place to read. We must even be ever vigilant to combat such
evils as library smells -- that lovely, slightly musty smell of old
books and leather bindings is anathema to our hot new image!
Only Starbucks smell is allowed.

Believe it or not - I guess it was a dozen or 15 years ago - just such a move was seriously underway at the Little Bighorn, of all places! A Disneyesque-theme park right by the entrance ... Private interests, the Crow tribe, and the Park Service, all in cohoots to "promote education." There in the middle of nowhere - the high plains of Montana - at a site where men gave their lives, a theme park! Education my ass! It's all about the $$$$. Thankfully, preservation groups thwarted this effort, at least for now. At a crowded place like Williamsburg, the surge may be unstoppable - just too much potential money.

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 30 2003 :  06:27:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Geez, what is this country coming to? What do you think Bill & Kurt, is this another example of unwelcomed 'change of culture'? The last thing we need is yet another loud, gaudy-colored, neon-lit theme park! To build one where there is nothing of historical significance is a tragedy, to turn Williamsburg into one is a crime! I agree with WW, tis time to prepare some well-crafted dispatches and to make some discreet inquiries.

Your Most Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 30 2003 :  08:34:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Someone on the list sent through a link to a newspaper article:

Layoff notices begin at CW
By Bill Tolbert
The Virginia Gazette

September 27 2003

WILLIAMSBURG -- In baseball, being summoned to the manager's office is a sure sign a player is about to be cut or sent to the minors.

“That's kind of the way it's been here this week,” a Colonial Williamsburg costumed interpreter said Friday. “Every time the phone rings, or someone walks into the break room, or a suit walks toward you on the street, you think you're getting sent to the Franklin Street office building.”

A handful of CW workers talked about layoff notifications that began a day or two before Hurricane Isabel hit. CW is eliminating 95 jobs in the Historic Area to address budget deficits running into the tens of millions of dollars. The majority of layoffs take effect in early January.

CW announced in early September it would notify staff of changes by mid-October. But notifications began early. The discussions with workers will continue through next week.

“Rather than spread it out until the middle of next month, we decided a top priority to employees would be to let them know as soon as humanly possible, whether or not they were affected,” said spokesman Tim Andrews. “We thought it was extremely important to let people know as soon as possible, to give them up to a month more to plan.” He said he didn't know how many workers have been contacted so far.

The worker who made the reference to baseball smiled slightly. It looked like an involuntary response, rather than any concession the situation is funny.

“I take it a lot of people cried,” said one woman who made the dreaded trip to the Franklin Street Building this week. “I noticed a box of tissues when I walked in. They even had a room where you could go to compose yourself. You could either return to work or take the rest of the day off with pay. I went home.” She called the situation “the cruelest thing I've ever seen. People have no electricity. People have trees through their homes. And all they care about is how fast we're gone. What are you supposed to do? The morale is gone.”

Many of the workers losing their jobs get a severance package including a certain number of weeks of pay based on longevity with CW. There's a cap of 26 weeks on severance pay.

Some of the employees say those benefits come with strings. They have to stay through Jan 5 to receive the packages. If they take jobs now, they miss out on weeks of pay. If they wait until January, they reason, it will be harder to find other jobs. And they believe the January date was selected to make sure the Historic Area is well staffed through Christmas.

The employees who talked with the Gazette asked for anonymity for two reasons. Some who are working out severance details are afraid they'll miss out if they make waves. Others fear that having their names tied to quotes critical of CW may lead other local employers to pass on hiring them. CW is offering the affected workers free outplacement services to help them find work.

“I'm not sure that helps,” said another man who is losing his job. “I want to be a historical interpreter, and my home and family are here. I don't want to move, but there aren't a lot of historical interpreter openings in Williamsburg. I guess they'll tell me I can work at a discount store or a restaurant.”

Workers interviewed this week say they see no pattern in the way the jobs are being eliminated. Cuts have hit new employees and veterans, those working indoors and out, casual and full-time.

One worker said there's a sort of “gallows humor” circulating the Historic Area, and it's tied to the Hurricane. “They say you think that whirring sound you hear all over town is the sound of generators running because there's no electricity,” she said. “It's really John D. Rockefeller Jr. spinning in his grave.”

Copyri

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - September 30 2003 :  1:50:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Do you know what the real shame of all this is WW? It is that once the Colonial Williamsburg 'powers that be' realize their error, they will be hurting for interpreters. The reason for this is simple, an living history persona takes time, years in some cases, to develop. I have been in the hobby since 1999, and I still would not consider myself good enough to do it professionally. Seamus could, but he has been in the hobby for a couple of decades, and guys who do it as good as him are as rare as hen's teeth. Eventually, I hope, calls will be made and with them changes to the management. I can't see the people who constitute the majority of the charitable contributions tolerating this. These members of the patrician class have a deep love of all historical, and these are families who trace their roots back to the 'Historic Triangle' of the Virginia Peninsula. These are the same folks whose grandparents and great-grandparents helped Rockefeller get this dream off the ground. As I said, I just can't see them sitting quietly by, and allowing this to happen. There is always hope, and sometimes hope, along with faith are enough to triumph.

Your Most Humble Servant,

-Or-

Kurt
Mohicanite

The Old Trapper
USA

September 27 2003

Posted - September 30 2003 :  11:07:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
<sigh>

We visited Williamsburg for our honeymoon. The day before, some neighborly people in the next campsite gave us the last day on their passes as a wedding present. The ceramic mug with the front cut away and a socket to hold the candle is still the best candlestick in the house. When you walk, the back wall directs the flame upward giving more usable light.

The new "management theory" that the way to make money is to fire workers is not something I can discuss in polite conversation. (The company decided to celebrate twenty years of faithful service by throwing me out in the street. (It's not that they don't like my work, I was back as a contractor (with no benefits) within three months.)) Suffice it to say, I look forward to the day these "theorists" get what they deserve. Scalped alive would be a good starting point. Perhaps fire ants could be worked in somehow. I better stop now.

Funny how it's better to fire a hundred workers when taking out one maybe two CEOs would give greater "savings".

Yr. obt. svt.
Kurt

Bill R
Colonial Militia

Farm Gnome
USA

July 03 2002

Posted - September 30 2003 :  11:40:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah. Funny. I was taught in management school that employees are a RESOURCE. To cut costs, you don't get rid of resources, you get rid of overhead. Overhead, by definition in my management class, was the administrators, executive VP's, etc. You don't get more productive getting rid of resources, you get more productive utilizing resources to the fullest, making operations more efficient, and most of all, by doing things to generate MORE WORK! I.e. in this case, MORE VISITORS EQUALS MORE WORK = MORE REVENUE.

So Williamsburg decides to cut resources to cut costs, and build a country club for the elite? There's a mental giant for ya. Like the rich elite just are chomping at the bit to winter in Williamsburg instead of Cannes or Monte Carlo.

Besides which, if an org (Williamsburg) is losing money, maybe we ought to be getting rid of the CEO and VP's for doing a lousy job and making pis* poor decisions, rather than getting rid of the employees for doing THEIR job in spite of.......them.

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - October 01 2003 :  07:28:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Good point, Bill. We have two local radio personalities that have a great theory about how education should be funded. They say take the money you have and make sure you have a good building, books, and all other necessary supplies you need to teach with. Next, pay your teachers (those that want to be there) what they deserve. And what ever is left over, pay the administrators. Sounds like a plan, huh?

Theresa

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 01 2003 :  12:50:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Here's a little more fuel to add to the fire. Setting aside the mismanagement/job cutting issue, this move also has some people up in arms.

Below are some excerpts from:

Is Spa Ticket to CW Health?
By Paul Aron
The Virginia Gazette
Sept. 3, 2003

CW officials have said they will move the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum and turn its current home into a spa. That will be part of an upscale "resort campus" next to the Williamsburg Inn and Lodge and the Golden Horseshoe Golf Club. An executive health center will be constructed nearby, at the site of the current Craft House.

CW President Colin Campbell said low attendance was a key factor in the decision to move the Folk Art Museum to what is currently the West Garden of the De Witt Wallace Museum.

In 2003, visitation at the Folk Art Museum was 82,356, compared to 216,356 at the Wallace Museum. The Folk Art Museum was struggling and there were rumors that it would close.

Campbell said the two museums will retain distinct identities and names, though the complex will be known as "The Museums at Colonial Williamsburg." The Folk Art Museum will have 11,200 sq. feet of exhibition space, up from the current 10,800. The Wallace Museum's entry gallery will be redesigned to reflect the presence of the Folk Art Museum.

The cost of the museum conversion (est. at $3.5 - $4 million) will be covered largely by outside gifts.

Now, bear in mind that I have never been to CW... not too sure I want to go now... so have never seen the locations of either of these museums. I don't know how close they are to the Historic District of CW. So don't hit!! <grin> But on the surface, anyway, it seems like combining these two museums into one building could be very beneficial to both, but especially to the Folk Art Museum?

The Spa/Health Center... I'm not too sure about. But if it would bring more money in to benefit CW... that could be a "good thing", right? I'm not usually one to advocate a lot of big changes but if CW is truly struggling, for whatever reasons, and this would help out... could this be a good change?

Just playing Devil's Advocate here. Any thoughts?

Morgaine!! Where are you??

Kurt
Mohicanite

The Old Trapper
USA

September 27 2003

Posted - October 02 2003 :  06:56:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Good morrow, Wilderness Woman,

If you do get the chance to go, especially if you can bring your children, by all means do go. "Total immersion" is not necessary to spark interest in youngsters. It couldn't hurt to some pre-trip investigation with the youngsters so they have an idea of what they are looking at when they see it, especially if there are fewer there to explain it but that was alway so.

Conserving the artifacts and artwork is the goal and as much as some of us are dismayed at loosing ground for "business reasons", keeping the displays available to the public is what is most important.

Heck, you should hear what history specialists say about the program at Ft. William Henry! (WHAT!!! the Fife and Drum are playing 1950s songs!!! Where's my musket!!!) I'm sure the program was even hokier when I was a lad and still, the interest and the reading resulted from that program.

I remain yr. obt. svt.
Kurt

Yr. obt. svt.
Kurt

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 02 2003 :  08:37:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comments, Kurt.

Actually, I do still hope to get down there sometime soon. But "dragging" the youngsters along will be a little difficult, since my youngest is now 19! Unfortunately, the "history spark" that I struck in her when she was in grade school is laying dormant right now. Hopefully that will change at some time in her adult life. My history spark laid dormant for a very long time before it was blown back to life.

Yes, I agree that preserving the the artifacts of history is very important, and I am glad that they appear to be following that route. But I am a bit concerned about the apparent move to cut back on the "living" artifacts of history. Looking at things in glass cases in museums is one thing, but actually seeing many of them used is another. To me, the latter is a lot less dry, and a far more valuable tool to teaching about our past.

Bill R
Colonial Militia

Farm Gnome
USA

July 03 2002

Posted - October 02 2003 :  11:30:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I don't object so much to the combining of the two museums. I've been to both, and they are interesting. The folk art museum might indeed attract fewer visitors, and combining them might be a cost saver. I'm not sure about a spa for the rich elite visitors is the best way to generate money though.

No, what really grinds MY stones is the rumor/plan of only having one or two crafts open at any one time. That is plain stupid, detracts from the living colonial town image, and is almost guaranteed to result in even fewer visitors. One of the best tours is the one involving going round and seeing all the craftsmen at work and answering questions. Gunsmith, cooper, furniture maker, wig maker, music teacher, blacksmith, jailor, brick maker, bakers, printers, etc. If only two were open, and you didnt know which two, why would you bother driving that long way and buying an expensive ticket just to see two crafts - and maybe the two you are least interested in. THAT is what gets me riled. It's like they are shoving the main features and purposes of the place aside and making it into a rich man's playground. The history is becoming secondary apparently

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 02 2003 :  1:02:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Don't do too much "stone grinding" just yet, Bill. Yes, if it is true, having only one craft category open at a time would be a very bad move.

Please bear in mind: that statement (in my first post up top) came from another person on an email list. That is not a direct quote from a newspaper article. Therefore, there is a possiblity that it is only a rumor or a misquote. (Even if it did come from a newspaper article... it could still be a misquote!) I sincerely hope that is the case, but I just don't know.

I have been trying, as I have the time, to search the past articles on the Virginia Gazette website to find mention of that. Plus, I was hoping that someone in Mohicanland might have definite facts... that's why I put up the post.

Maybe, just maybe, it will turn out to be false! I will definitely post any new information I can find, and hope that others will too.

Bill R
Colonial Militia

Farm Gnome
USA

July 03 2002

Posted - October 02 2003 :  1:51:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I surely hope it IS a rumor. The intepreters are the meat of the meal at Williamsburg. Especially the crafts people and the trades people.

Doc M
Great Quack Healer of the Frontier

Wicked Unicorn
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - October 02 2003 :  6:05:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have worked for non-profits for 30+ years, and it has been
my sad experience that the management of non-profits is always
paid what I consider to be an obscene amount of money as opposed
to what the long-suffering employees get. The employee is told,
"Well, fool, you work for a non-profit, not corporate america,"
and in the next breath you're told "Management doesn't get
NEARLY what they would get paid in corporate america, so it's ok
that they're making 5 times your pathetic salary." Since most
administrators of non-profits are appointed by the good ol' boys
network, and are 9 times out of 10 EXTREMELY wealthy in their own
right, it always seemed to me they should take no salaries at all,
or donate most of their salaries to their organizations. Silly
silly senile old Doc M!

Doc M

Bill R
Colonial Militia

Farm Gnome
USA

July 03 2002

Posted - October 02 2003 :  6:12:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
That's pretty true. I worked with retarded adults for two years in a non-profit facility. Under me I had 10 "instructors" most with master's degrees. Average salary for them in 1979? $8000 to 9500. My salary? 12,000. There were two bosses over me. Their salary?
$25,000. Over them, the facility director. His salary? $45,000, plus BMW company car, plus other percs.

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 02 2003 :  9:17:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
OK. I found the article that talks about the planned changes for how many and what craft venues will be open.

New ‘Seasons’ Focus on Years 1773-76
By Paul Aron
The Virginia Gazette
Published September 6, 2003

WILLIAMSBURG -- Personnel cutbacks in the Historic Area may not hurt programming, since it's being rewritten once again. Colonial Williamsburg execs are trying to put a positive spin on the news that 95 interpreters, managers and administrative staff will be laid off at the end of the year.

“Programming is the lifeblood of the Historic Area, and with the incredible buildings, collections and landscape we have, living history must be a central component of how we tell those stories,” said Historic Area vice president Rex Ellis in a statement released Friday. “Interpretive training will continue to be important as we transition our programming to an even more dynamic, qualitative and engaging level.”

CW execs said the 95 layoffs were part of a comprehensive review that inspired a range of program and staffing adjustments, and identified core programs and sites.

For 2004, the year 1774 will remain the focus of programming. In 2005, CW will focus on a different year, spanning 1773-76, for each quarter. The idea harks back to a complex and chaotic effort to present different historical days on different days. CW execs conceded the programming was confusing for visitors who couldn't figure out what day it was.

The new programs will last a full season. Winter will be 1773, spring 1774 and fall 1775. Summer visitors will experience 1776. Some interpreters are critical of the constant programming changes. “They keep changing things just to justify their positions,” said one man. “And then they change things again because they're so incompetent.”

CW president Colin Campbell said in an interview Friday that the new programming would not be introduced until 2005, because of “a determination to have programs done far in advance, so we can assure they're of first-rank quality.” Campbell admitted the cuts would lead to fewer programs, especially during slow visitation periods. “Quantity of programs is not the same as quality,” he said. “We're going to try do somewhat less as well as we possibly can.”

Campbell stressed that the cuts would return Historic Area staffing levels to those of the mid-1990s. “People should not perceive that the Historic Area will be unlike it's ever been before,” he said. “It has been at this level.”

“Our vision is to take each guest on a journey through time, orienting them in a variety of ways and at a pace appropriate to their needs and interests,” said Ellis.

[OK... here it is...]

The scale of the programming will vary with the season, depending on visitation levels. An internal memo distributed at a meeting with employees Wednesday said the number of open sites will fluctuate from an average of 14 in winter to an average of 30 during the Easter season.
“Core” buildings that will remain open year-round are the Capitol, Courthouse, Governor's Palace, Great Hopes Plantation, Magazine, Raleigh Tavern and Randolph site.

At any given time, one of the following will be open to the public:

* A metal trade (Blacksmith, Gunsmith, Geddy Foundry or Silversmith).
* A leather trade (Shoemaker or Harnessmaker).
* A fashion or textile trade (Millinery, Tailor, Weaver or Wigmaker).
* A woodworking trade (Cabinetmaker, Cooper, Basketmaker, Wheelwright).

So... it's not quite as bad as we had feared, but still bad, in my opinion. When and if I get down there... I want to see it all, not just some of it.

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - October 03 2003 :  2:45:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree WW, I am also curius as to just what those "mid-1990's levels" are. I seem to remember that the same amount of activity was present in 1996 as there was in 2001.

-Or-

Bill R
Colonial Militia

Farm Gnome
USA

July 03 2002

Posted - October 03 2003 :  3:25:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Used to be they were ALL open at the same time, mostly. I do remember though, stopping by the furniture maker once or twice and they weren't open - nobody there. Thought it was lunchtime or something.

Right. Who wants to go and crapshoot about what is open and what is not? Moreover, you bought tickets good for say 6 trades (you pick them) and got the ticket punched. You had to buy separate tickets for those things they say will stay open all year. Big of them. One wonders if they are reducing the price of the trades tickets since only 1/4 availability at any given time is proposed. Bet not.
Even if they did cut the cost of the ticket, and I'd be shocked if they did, it's not a sat solution.

Who ever heard of a town with only 1/4 of the businesses open? At a time when everybody worked dawn to dusk every day but Sunday?

CEO needs to go. Revamp entire management, cut the overhead, and get with the program.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Johnson Hall Market Fair Topic Next Topic: Landis Valley Museum  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.66 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07