The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/10/2024 6:33:02 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AGAINST ALL ODDS MESSAGE BOARD - Mohicans Version
 The Alamo - 1836
 Texian Fugitives & Mexican Cavalry
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: The Death of David Crockett Topic Next Topic: Man of Conquest  

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - September 24 2003 :  6:56:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just finished reading a book on the Alamo called Blood of Noble Men, written by Alan C. Huffines, and superbly illustrated by Gary S. Zaboly [Eakin Press, 1999]. The book is basically a first person chronology of the 13 day siege, based upon the words of participants - Texian & Mexican - and witnesses. Been sitting around on my book shelf, and I guess with the new film coming out I was finally inspired to read it.

Two things I found particularly fascinating in this all-around excellent work:

1 - It is somewhat fashionable by historians to discount Colonel Travis' near-mythical "drawing of the line" with his sword in the sand. Much is written about how this never happened and that it is purely folklore. To me, it's a mute point - Without a doubt, at the very least, a figurative line was drawn in that Alamo compound. Surely, each man had to consider, "Do I stay & die, or should I make an escape?" Couriers freely came & went. Reinforcements did arrive. It was a possible option ... escape, that is. Anyway, using the accounts of Mrs. Candelaria, E. Esparza, Susannah Dickenson, & Louis Rose - who were all there - an unfashionably good case is made for it happening!

2 - This is the first I have heard of this, but Huffines puts forth testimony of a mass exodus, perhaps 50-100, of Texian defenders from the Alamo after the walls were breached. They were nearly all cut down by Mexican lancers waiting for just such a move. Mexican Army reports of the dead have always conflicted with the traditional number of defenders normally associated with this battle - 180 some odd. The case is made that here died the rest! Fascinating & fairly convincing ... I'm still thinking it through.

I'm wondering, how will the new film portray these events?
report to moderator

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - September 25 2003 :  07:12:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks for this information, Rich. Sounds like a very interesting read. Now, not to go off in a totally different direction, but everytime I hear the name "Huffines" I can't help but think of "Raising Arizona". Sorry...

Theresa
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Dillon1836
Deerslayer

richfed
USA

July 17 2003

Posted - September 25 2003 :  3:22:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dillon1836's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I read Blood of Noble Men and recently chatted with Huffines....who was also the historical advisor on the Alamo film set.I liked the book....except of how Zaboly captured Crockett's movement in the picture....its as if hes graveling for his life.

www.alamosentry.com

Dillon1836
Deerslayer

richfed
USA

July 17 2003

Posted - September 25 2003 :  3:26:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dillon1836's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Madam Candelaria was most likely not there....alot of her stories are over written and changed so many times.Plus,Esparza and Mrs.Dickenson even reported they never remember seeing her.

The Alamo film I think will be the best portrayal ever.Thornton is said to give an Oscar worthy performance.He plays my hero,David Crockett,so I'm rooting for him "lol"

www.alamosentry.com

Dillon1836
Deerslayer

richfed
USA

July 17 2003

Posted - November 22 2003 :  5:15:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dillon1836's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I like the story of Henry Warnell....the only defender who possibly escaped the Alamo battle,but died months later of wounds from battle in Port Lavaca.

www.alamosentry.com

Two Kettles
Colonial Settler

USA

August 01 2002

Posted - November 23 2003 :  7:29:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich,

I agree that "Blood" is a fantastic account of the battle. My only hesitation about it is that Huffines doesn't "handicap" his accounts. As Wade pointed out, Madame Candalaria, who he cites quite a bit, probably wasn't even there. He also makes extensive use of the highly questionable De La Pena account. I think if someone just wants a good read that gives a feel for the siege and battle, "Blood" fills the bill, but for seriously trying to understand what happened and the problems with the accounts, you need to also use Bill Groneman's "Eyewitness to the Alamo", that gives the various accounts in the order they appeared in print, with background on their provenance, etc. In a way, it's the perfect companion volume to "Blood of Noble Men".

Two Kettles
  Previous Topic: The Death of David Crockett Topic Next Topic: Man of Conquest  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.34 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07