The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/6/2024 3:29:12 AM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OFF THE BEATEN TRAIL
 Movies, Movies, More Movies! Any Movies!
 Black Robe/The Mission-great films about Jesuits
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Story of GI Joe, Twelve oclock High Topic Next Topic: A & E Movie Alert!  

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 03 2003

Posted - September 18 2003 :  01:34:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone seen "Black Robe"? It's got beautiful landscapes and focuses on some key LOTM subject matter: the French in north america, Huron and Algonquin tribes, life in the wilderness. It focuses on a Jesuit missionary trying to convert Canadian natives. It's beautifully done, much better than many movies that focus on early american life.
Another film to check out would be "The Mission" starring Robert DeNiro and Jeremy Irons. It takes place in south america in the 1700's. DeNiro is a slave trader that reforms and helps Irons(another Jesuit missionary trying to convert natives) shield a tribe from the forces of colonialism.
report to moderator

Seamus
Guardian of Heaven's Gate

Skull 2
USA

May 19 2002

Posted - September 18 2003 :  05:23:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Seamus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yep.........seen 'em both.....have 'em on tape...they are on my list of 'training films', for sure.

Life's journey is not to
arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting
'...holy sh*t ...what a ride!'

~~Mavis Leyrer, Seattle

Seamus

~~Aim small, hit the b*****d right between the eyes!~~
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - September 18 2003 :  06:27:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Me, too! "The Mission," I think, is one of the best ever films - superb soundtrack. DeNiro at his best!

I like "Black Robe," but it's a little too dark & dreary for me to rank it as a favorite movie. Well done, to be sure, but ...

Tim Cordell
Pioneer

USA

July 18 2002

Posted - September 18 2003 :  6:37:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Read the book.

Tim Cordell

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - September 18 2003 :  7:13:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I've seen "The Mission" on tv and liked it.

I've also seen "Black Robe," but was not impressed. In the words of a friend: "It's just a bunch of Indians having sex and getting shot in the head." And as Rich said, "too dark & dreary."

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

susquesus
Mad Hermit of the North Woods

Susquesus
USA

September 03 2003

Posted - September 18 2003 :  7:37:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Yeah, Black Robe definitely falls short on the "romance" element found in LOTM and a lot of other frontier films. I liked that it was dark, sort of gave me an idea of the harsh, stark realities of life at the time. It may not be upbeat or have a happy ending but such is life.

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - September 18 2003 :  11:24:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I keep DVD's of LOTM and The Patriot by the TV at all times. and watch them a lot. But when I want to see a movie that was done right, I pop in my tape of Black Robe. Great movie! I loved that matchlock. And the scenes at Quebec, and the Iroquois village.

Two Kettles
Colonial Settler

USA

August 01 2002

Posted - September 19 2003 :  12:27:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
One thing I love about THE MISSION is that, IMHO, it's not only set in the 18th century, it's "about" the 18th century. The rise of global empires, the enslavement of indiginous peoples, the Catholic Church at its best and worst, the suppression of the Jesuits, all of these are very 18th century issues. There are two very interesting points that are in Robert Bolt's novelization of his original screenplay but didn't make it into the movie:
The priest played by Jeremy Irons is Irish. He was educated illegally and surreptitiously in a hedge school, and then fled to France to continue his education;
The nobleman pushing for the destruction of the Jesuit missions was a Mason, and determined to do all that he could to hurt and embarass the Catholic Church.

But even with these elements missing, the movie was one of the best representations of the period ever put on film.

Two Kettles

Tim Cordell
Pioneer

USA

July 18 2002

Posted - September 19 2003 :  12:39:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You must stand in heart of the Adirondack forest in November... A feeling of lonliness and depression takes hold. The movie Blackrobe presented similar moments. Please read the book and then view the film again. Reenactors are constantly in persuit of elusive emotional experiences that are TRUE to past time periods. I found the book and the film very helpful in that respect. Warmest regards,

Tim Cordell

Tim Cordell
Pioneer

USA

July 18 2002

Posted - September 19 2003 :  12:48:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Make that loneliness....Spell check on the fritz.

Tim Cordell
  Previous Topic: Story of GI Joe, Twelve oclock High Topic Next Topic: A & E Movie Alert!  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.33 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07