The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
10/7/2024 3:33:40 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 COLONIAL TIMES
 The French & Indian War
 F&IW Gaming
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Youngbloods Forbes Expedition Prints Topic Next Topic: Merry Christmas Maps
Page: of 2

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 31 2003 :  02:04:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have just ordered, and eagerly awaiting, a new computer game called "The French and Indian War". The product was recently released from HPS Simulations, and is the first time a computer game was specifically designed for theater wide operations in 'our' time period. "War Along the Mohawk", which was released last year, covers only the New York ops-area. Previously, most of us had to contend with mods or add-ons to such games as "Horse and Musket" (Shrapenel Games) or "Age of Rifles" (SSI Games), in order to get our 'Armchair General' fix. As soon as I get some serious playtime with it, I shall return with a full review.

Your Humble Servant,

Serjeant-Major Duncan Munro
Capt. Thos. Graham's Coy.
42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foote
(The Black Sheep of the Black Watch)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
-Or-
"Recruit locally, fight globally."
report to moderator

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - July 31 2003 :  06:29:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hey Sarge!!

I am most interested in this, being a gamer myself to a degree. A full report, please!! And, a link to the web site?

The best game I have ever played is one called 1776, made by Avalon Hill - now, I think, taken over by Hasbro, of all people. The game is out-of-print. It deals, obviously, with the American Revolution, not the F&I War, but was as close as I was ever able to find. My eldest sons & I passed many a day engaged in awesome combat as we strove to determine America's path!

Of course, it's not computer - it's a huge 3-piece map of the colonies that you need to lay out on a large table. It opens with the situation just after Bunker Hill, and continues until ... well, that depends on subsequent events.

There was an add-on, too, that included some optional rules & leaders. The game was fantastic - if you ever see it around, on eBay or somewhere, snatch it up.

• Great system of supply
  • Battles are unique, combining tactical maneuver, with combat odds and the like, and a bit of luck
  • the uncertainty of the French intervening
  • batteauxs
  • fortifications
  • Indian allies up near the Mohawk Valley of NY
  • terrain effects
  • winter hardships
  • excellent system of militia recruiting & dispersment - making them very risky to depend on
  • dragoons
  • navy - even West Indies considerations
  • realistic reinforcement schedules

That's some of the features ... very playable & engrossing!
report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Sjt. Malcolm MacWilliam
Pioneer

September 11 2002

Posted - July 31 2003 :  08:10:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Come on, lads...play some REAL 18th century games. We enjoy a few card games like Sevens, very easy and has some gambling attached to it; also Forty Twa which Sjt. Watson (no in our Texas detachment) would MAKE me play but I never understood it. We also play dominoes, esp. Hinkelfuss or Chickenfoot (actually a PA German game) which the lads would have learned in 1758 as they crossed Penns Woods on their way to Duquesne. The BESt game though is Quoits, and old French game which became VERY popular with the Scots long before the 18th century and is still very popular in old Scotia today. Our unit plays this over and over, much like horseshoes with round throwing pieces...we have about 5 sets floating around in camp on any given weekend....the quoits are usually set up at Bushy Run!! Now, chuck the computer and let's do some real gaming!! slante'.....Sjt. MacWm.

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 31 2003 :  08:55:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sachem Rich,
I will be honored to deliver a detailed 'after action report'. Sorry that I forgot to include the link, my bad. (Link www.hpssims.com) I noticed that you mentioned a favorite Avalon Hill product of my youth, 1776 (Which I still think my circa 1981 copy is buried somwhere here at Munro Castle). If you liked that, you will love GMT Games "Wilderness War". Thats right Rich, our prayers have been answered, an honest to goodness French and Indian War boardgame. The place I have found that has it for the least shillings is Games In A Box (Link www.gamesinabox.com)
In the meantime, you might also want to check out the computer game "Horse and Musket" (Link www.shrapnelgames.com) Shrapnel Games also has their own Horse and Musket Support site with all the add-ons and mods you will ever need to cover any military action during the 18th century. You can read a review of this and other games at the Wargamer Website (Link www.wargamer.com)
Another game I mentioned in my first post is Age of Rifles, from SSI Games (A 1980's boardgame manufacture which ventured into the computer game realm in the early '90s) The game is from 1996, but I still play it from time to time. It deals with, as the title gives hint, to land warfare during the 19th century (1840 to 1905) With the uniforms and weapons in the game, you can make scenarios as far back as the Napoleonic Era. Its an oldie-but-goodie, and very hard to find.

Your Humble Servant,

-Or-

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 31 2003 :  08:59:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
P.S.
Sgt. MacWilliam, I would be honored to play a round of quoits with you at Bushy this weekend.

Your Humble Servant,

-Or-

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 31 2003 :  1:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich,
One more thing I forgot to cover is Empire Interactive's "War Along the Mohawk" (Link www.empire-us.com) The best way to describe this game is a role-player with action and strategy thrown into the mix. I like to think of it as Dungeons & Dragons meet Last of the Mohicans. There are several reviews of it online, check it out and see if it fills a niche.

Your Humble Servant,

-Or-

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - July 31 2003 :  9:55:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
My favorite F&I war game (besides a good pc tactical) is 25mm miniature skirmish wargaming. A few years ago I bought several 25mm lead miniatures from Old Glory (http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/), painted them, and now have several squads of rangers, regular grenadiers, french marines, natives, provincials etc. With these miniatures, some rules from the internet, and a large sand table or foam terrain pieces and trees you can play any variety of F&I war skirmishes. With 3D terrain and miniatures it's more realistic than 2D board games, and lots of fun.

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 01 2003 :  08:41:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I agree with you, Ranger, miniature tabletop gaming is far more fun and it does lend a depth to the engagement. For years, I've always wanted to build a tabletop, with interchangeable geographic features, that would cover some of my favorite F&IW engagements. This project will have to wait for two reasons, till my daughter has grown and I am able to do it without my wife placing my head on a spear. I am familiar with Old Glory, and they carry a very comprehensive line of gaming miniatures.

Your Humble Servant,

-Or-

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 01 2003 :  1:13:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
A bit off track - a different era - but a really stellar game is "Gettysburg" by Firaxis. It's a computer game that functions in real time - that is, your opponent is moving & reacting as you are. Absolutely fantastic graphics; a blast to play. There is a full 3-day battle scenario that takes hours & hours to play & can be a bit difficult for a human to manage [the computer seems to have no problem!] as more & more troops arrive on the field. It's a challenge!

Al Amos
Pathfinder

USA

August 02 2003

Posted - August 02 2003 :  10:03:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sgt Munro,

I too, look forward to your review. I'm one of the co-designers.

Here are some links for all to find more info out on the game

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/products/RifMusk/FIW/FIW.html

http://www.hist-sdc.com/fiw/index.html

and our designer notes

http://www.hist-sdc.com/fiw/fiwdoc.html

I hope you like the game. When played in 3D view one can almost get the feel of a good miniatures game.

Rich Hamilton was the other co-designer, he's the veteran. He designed War of 1812 for John Tiller. F&I War was my first attempt. Hopefully not my last. hehehe...

Campaign 1776 was the first of the series.

The game features a campaign system where independant battles are linked together by choices each player makes with casualties carrying over.

I created most of the 1st 60 scenarios, and Rich created the other 150. John has a policy that we designers supply corrections and additional material after publication. I am currently making a series of maps that will enable players to create their own battles and campaigns thorughout western Pennsylvania. Locations that I have mapped out included:

Logstown
Ft Duquesne
Kittanning
Ft Machault
Ft Le Boeuf
Ft Presque
Ft Ligonier
Ft Granville
Ft Augusta
Ft Necessity
Braddock's Battlefield

I hope to soon be done with

Ft Patterson
Ft Bedford
Ft Shirley
Ft Lyttleton

In addition to locations in western PA, I have several for upper New York around the lakes, and some in Acadia.

HPS also supplies free patches with the latest updates and corrections. There is one available for F&I War, and I recommend you apply it before playing.

I hope you, and others enjoy it.

There is a club you can join to play others, a few of them are re-enactors as well. Here is a link for that club.

I hope you will all come for a visit, and join if you like wargaming North American 18th & early 19th century battles.

Al Amos

PS I am always seeking further source material for this venture, and any information is welcomed. Please let me know of any errors or misconceptions I may have placed in any of my scenarios, and I will correct them if possible.

Al

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 05 2003 :  03:06:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, my copy of HPS Simulations "The French and Indian War" has arrived on my doorstep earlier today. I hope to have it uploaded and playing sometime in the A.M. Al Amos, it is a pleasure to meet you and I have a feeling that I will be singing your praises. I will heed your advice and download the updates before starting my evaluation (yeah right, more like playing with) of the game. More to come...

-Or-

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 05 2003 :  05:42:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Looks like we may be selling this game - and others - through our Frontier Storefront soon! Good prices, too ...

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 06 2003 :  10:34:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello All,
Here is my initial report on HPS Simulations "The French And Indian War" computer game. All in all, it is a very enjoyable game. The engine, although unique, is very similar to the ones found in "Horse and Musket" and to a more primative degree SSI's "Age of Rifles" (based on the 'victory hex' style of scoring). I found the maps and troop deployments in the historical scenarios to be very well researched (Good work Al, you guys hit the 10X). I also found the 'what if' scenarios (variations on the historical ones, based on very possible changes in leadership and strategic planning) to be thought provoking and playable. Al Amos, you and the guys produced a real winner here, my friend. I do have some ideas, thoughts if you are interested:

1) Include some scenarios of the Forbes Expedition of 1758, like Grant's Defeat (14 September 1758) and the French counter-attack on Fort Ligonier (12 October 1758).

2) The Pennsylvania Regiments uniform was dark green, a small detail, but one to be picked up by reenactors like Seamus (a member of this board) who reenacts the Fort Augusta Regiment (aka 3rd Battalion of the Pennsylvania Regiment)

3) The uniform details are very good, but you might want to include some additional facing colors on the highland regiment portraits (dark green for the 77th, white for the 78th and dark blue for the 42nd after 1758) Once again, a small detail, but maybe one for a patch upgrade someday.

The above suggestions will help expand the game in its original scope, but will also help scenario builders to cover Pontiac's War of 1763-1765, which had its foundations directly tied to the French and Indian War. Overall rating is excellent, and a 'must have' for those of us who enjoy computer wargaming.

Your Most Humble Servant,

-Or-

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 06 2003 :  11:19:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
P.S.- Al Amos, if you want you can e-mail or Private Message (via the Mohicanland Board) me with any questions concerning my suggestions.

Your Humble Servant,

-Or-

Al Amos
Pathfinder

USA

August 02 2003

Posted - August 06 2003 :  11:31:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Sgt. Munro,

Thank you Seargeant! I was worried.

Quick responses

1) I do have plans to add follow up material covering these topics.

2) That's cool! We did no know that. One very nice feature is that the graphics can be modified by the users. I'd be happy to help anyone learn how. Players of John's other games have created thier own unit pics and distributed them for general use. So improvements in that area is possible, and any help from others is welcomed.

3) Per above. Number of pics can be added to expand the unit representation.

Pontiac's War was in Rich's original plans for the game, at time of research and production, I did not feel comfortable covering it. I still need to research it more, but it is on my to do list. Again any help is welcomed and would be greatly appreciated.

My e-mail is albert_amos@yahoo.com . I'd be happy engage you in a PBEM game sometime.

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 06 2003 :  11:25:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Thanks Al,
I was hoping for at least one of my suggestions to be on the 'to do list', but I didn't expect all of them. Thank you again. I will send you an e-mail tomorrow, so that we can stay in touch. If you need any help with background, particularly on the Forbes Campaign, I can help. I was one of the technical advisors for Robert Matzen's 'George Washington's First War: The Battles of Fort Duquesne', so I might be able to help out with questions like units present, troop deployment and the overall layout/conduct of the engagements at Ft. Duquesne and Ft. Ligonier. For Pontiac's War, I can assist with things like the siege of Fort Pitt, the destruction of Forts Vernango, LeBouef and Presque Isle, the Battle of Bushy Run (which I just had reenacted the 240th anniversary this past weekend), as well as the Muskingum Campaign (where no shots were fired, but it gives room for 'what if' scenarios). Anything I can do to help expand on an already excellent (and long needed) production like yours, I will do.

Your Humble Servant,

-Or-

Rich Hamilton
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

August 19 2003

Posted - August 19 2003 :  07:31:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rich Hamilton's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hello All,

I'm Al's counterpart in designing the French & Indian War game. Hope that those of you who pick it up enjoy it.

I'd highly recommend connecting with the Colonial Campaigns Club, located at - http://www.wargame.ch/1776/index.html - this is a good group of guys dedicated to playing the EAW titles from HPS. You'll never have a problem finding an opponet.

Regards,
Rich

Scenario Designer for War of 1812 & French and Indian War

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 20 2003 :  11:21:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Hi Rich,
I have been in communication with Al, and have been putting together some data for him to use in subsequent patches. As I have said earlier in this string, you have got yourself a winner. Finally, a dedicated F&IW 'tabletop style' computer game. You have no idea how long I have waited for a product like yours to come along. Good work!

Your Humble Servant,

-Or-

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 24 2003 :  07:08:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Being a fan of the overall strategy, rather than the tactical, limited time to indulge, and the fact that I've been away from a game system such as this for quite a while, I reserved judgment on this game, The French & Indian War, despite the fact that we are now selling them via the web site [also, Campaign 1776 and The War of 1812.

I've now played around with the first two. Being much more familiar, overall, with the ebb & flow of the American Revolution, I was more easily able to grasp the fundamentals of the game by playing that one first. I make no claims to having it grasped it all, by any means, so forgive my ignorance.

I thoroughly enjoyed it - particularly the campaign game. I would suggest that strategic locations be given victory points [maybe they are?] to sort of guide a player along the historical path ... I would also better enjoy a game that allowed the user more decision making upfront, rather than one 2-choice, overall strategy ... play the whole thing at once, as well. These are meant as constructive criticism - as I said, the game is a lot of fun - particularly when using many of the optional rules.

So, then I went off to try the F&I War game. What a blast! The Braddock Campaign game is what I have focused upon and it is well-done. The advantage of a computer game, rather than a classic board game, is that you can experiment, and then start over, without having to reset up all the pieces on the board.

Experiment I have, and I've found that I enjoy being the French & Indian player, lurking around in the woods waiting for just the right moment to strike ... Al & Rich: Great job!

As Sarge says, "You've got a winner"!

Link to our storefront: EARLY AMERICAN SIMULATIONS

Al Amos
Pathfinder

USA

August 02 2003

Posted - August 24 2003 :  11:42:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Rich,

Thank you for the kind words.

I deliberately set up my mini-campaigns with few choices to keep them small (for making and playing.)

I do intended to create a 1755 campaign that will allow players to operate in all four theaters. Just needing time to do all my little projects. hehehe...

Rich Hamilton set up a terrific all-war campaign for 1758. I think you will enjoy it.

I'm always tinkering, and welcome any ideas or source material information.

Dillon1836
Deerslayer

richfed
USA

July 17 2003

Posted - August 24 2003 :  3:44:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dillon1836's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I haven't followed this thread,but I think they need to make a computer or video game about the Texas revolution,especially on the Alamo.I think that would be awesome.<):)

www.alamosentry.com

Rich Hamilton
Lost in the Wilderness

USA

August 19 2003

Posted - August 24 2003 :  4:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rich Hamilton's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dillon1836

I haven't followed this thread,but I think they need to make a computer or video game about the Texas revolution,especially on the Alamo.I think that would be awesome.<):)

Maybe one day.

Thanks for the rest of your (Rich & Sgt.) comments. Al and I tried to cover the war historically, and then also from a hypothetical standpoint exploring things that could of happened. It really is a nice mix with things for players of all tastes. The mini-campaigns play quickly and have a lot of quick action while my monster 1758 campaign takes a lot more patience.

With the editors and the large quatity of maps included you can easily make a custom scenario or campaign if you so desire. Be warned though, creating a campaign is a lot of work.

For those of you wanting to know more about the game please check out these two links which Al pointed out earlier:

http://www.hist-sdc.com/fiw/index.html

And if you do buy it, please get it from the Mohican Store to support their efforts as well!

Regards,
Rich

Scenario Designer for War of 1812 & French and Indian War

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 25 2003 :  05:16:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dillon1836

Actually, there was an old DOS-based game called Defend the Alamo. It was pretty basic, but fun nonetheless. The good news is the outfit that made it is redoing it as we speak! See: Incredible Simulations!

Highlander
Colonial Militia

Bushy Run painting
USA

February 04 2003

Posted - August 26 2003 :  5:08:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Highlander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I would like to see an F&I game along the lines of CDV/FireGlow's Sudden Strike or Eido's Praetorians.These games that are mentioned above seem too much like a board game.

Highlander

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - August 29 2003 :  06:40:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Well, Ed, they are similar to a board game, but what's so bad about that?

In many ways, much better on a computer, though. Odds & modifiers are instantly figured for you, so you can basically just PLAY & enjoy the game. Plus, no set-up or clean-up, and if you've got the board spread out all over the dining room table, and then the dinner bell rings, no need to carefully move the board - not allowing any pieces to slip over a hex [or stack of forces to topple] - over to the buffet. Simply click "save."

Anyway, I do enjoy 'em ... relaxing in my spare time!

SgtMunro
Soldier of the King

Knight
USA

September 23 2002

Donating Member

Posted - August 29 2003 :  08:03:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit SgtMunro's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
I have to agree with Sachem Rich on this one, Captain. It is the board/minature gaming aspects which I find so appealing. The actual engine of the game is very accurate concerning the space,time and size involved in the simulation. I find that these games, much like chess (the original tabletop excercise), are a great way to give the mind a workout. As soon as I get some more free time to enjoy this game (the time I have spent playing it so far, is not nearly enough, it is just so much fun!!!) and explore its possibilities, I will look at purchasing HPS' RevWar and 1812 games as well.

Your Most Hubmle Servant,

-Or-
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Youngbloods Forbes Expedition Prints Topic Next Topic: Merry Christmas Maps  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.66 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07