The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!]
7/3/2024 3:13:21 PM
On the Trail...Home | Old Mohican Board Archives | Purpose
Events | Polls | Photos | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages
Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Mohican Chat | Blogs
Forum Bookmarks | Unanswered Posts | Preview Topic Photos | Active Topics
Invite a Friend to the Mohican Board | Guestbook | Greeting Cards | Auction (0) | Colonial Recipe Book
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 LAST OF THE MOHICANS
 The Last of the Mohicans ...
 Point me in the right direction!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: New TV Show Starring:  Wes Studi! Topic Next Topic: Dougie MacLean Smithsonian Folklife Photos!  

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

Bumppo's Patron since [at least]:
May 17 2002

Posted - July 24 2003 :  10:00:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This question has come up on another board that I visit from time to time. Since I couldn't answer it, I told them to hold on while I consulted the experts...that would be y'all. Seems like I remember somewhat of a discussion about this at sometime or other but don't rightly remember any conclusions drawn. I'll pass along any input any of you might have.

In the River Walk scene, when Hawkeye says he's "headin' west for Can-tuck-ee", then Duncan asks, "how is it you're headin' west", Hawkeye replys,"Well we kinda face to the north and real sudden like turn left." The question is, if he's in NY and faces north then turns left, he ain't headin' for Can-tuck-ee, if by Can-tuck-ee he means Kentucky. Was this a blooper?

I think Michael Mann forgot he wasn't in NY and was in NC instead, which makes the line make sense. Anybody?

Theresa
report to moderator

CT•Ranger
Colonial Militia

indian ... nicholas
USA

October 14 2002

Posted - July 24 2003 :  10:28:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Technically, Can-tuc-kee or Kentucky, is to the south-west of NY. In my opinion Duncan used "west" as a general direction for Can-tuc-kee. Not an exact compass direction, as the geography of the frontier would have been relatively vague in the mind of an 18th century person. So, since Duncan asked how are you headed west? Hawkeye answered how you head west. Just my opinion.

YMHS,
Connecticut•Ranger
Thomas Thacher

report to moderator Go to Top of Page

Wilderness Woman
Watcher of the Wood

Young George Washington
USA

November 27 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 24 2003 :  10:53:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
You know, that always puzzled me too... only I was afraid to admit it!

I think your explanation, CT-R, is a good one. It would definitely go along with Hawkeye's tendency to be flippant. Also, notice that Hawkeye does say, "kinda face north." So I would take it that he didn't necessarily mean an exact north.

Regardless, it remains one of my favorite "Hawkeye Sarcasms."

Fitz Williams
Colonial Militia

USA

May 19 2002

Posted - July 25 2003 :  12:23:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
And another thing. After the escape at the falls (I will find you!), everyone somehow appears in Huron land. The Hurons were wiped out (mostly) in 1649, and their homeland was north of the great lakes.

vincent
Pioneer

Calvin
USA

May 20 2002

Donating Member

Posted - July 25 2003 :  3:40:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Very good catch Theresa. Knew that they were supposed to be in New Yawk but subconsiously thought filming was in NC...

An honorary 'high five' to CT Ranger for explanation.

richfed
Sachem

King 1
USA

May 13 2002

Administrator

Posted - July 25 2003 :  7:51:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Click to see richfed's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Don't think it was a blooper at all ... frontier was West. As CT points out, with inexact, and hard-to-come-by maps & little to no media, it was all vague & nondescript. It is not clear whether or not Hawkeye & Company had ever actually been to Can-tuc-kee [who's boundaries were not the same as the present-day state!], so to a wandering nomad one "Faces North & real sudden-like turns left".

Too, depending on when that was scripted, Mann might not even have known filming was to take place in NC ... not sure on that, and I haven't referenced the script.

And, Hawkeye was being flip, in any event ... he was directly responding to the "How is it you are headed west remark," by Duncan ...

Theresa
Bumppo's Tavern Proprietress

Theresa
USA

May 17 2002

Posted - July 25 2003 :  8:09:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Copy this URL to Link to this Reply
Makes sense...and I looked it up, those words, "kinda face to the north and real sudden-like turn left" are not there. BTW, isn't this the weekend the Colonel comes to town?

Theresa
  Previous Topic: New TV Show Starring:  Wes Studi! Topic Next Topic: Dougie MacLean Smithsonian Folklife Photos!  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
| More
Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Around The Site:
~ What's New? ~
Pathfinding | Mohican Gatherings | Mohican Musings | LOTM Script | History | Musical Musings | Storefronts on the Frontier
Off the Beaten Trail | Links
Of Special Interest:
The Eric Schweig Gallery | From the Ramparts | The Listening Room | Against All Odds | The Video Clips Index

DISCLAIMER
Tune, 40, used by permission - composed by Ron Clarke

Custom Search

The Mohican Board! [Bumppo's Redux!] © 1997-2024 - Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
Current Mohicanland page raised in 0.25 seconds Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07