Against All Odds Message Board
Against All Odds Message Board
5/4/2024 9:51:08 AM
Home | Old Board Archives | Events | Polls
Photo Album | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages | Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Chat
Bookmarks | Active Topics
Invite A Friend To Face The Odds!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Battle of the Little Bighorn - 1876
 Custer's Last Stand
 Responsibility At Little Bighorn
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Deductive reasoning ~ The Village Topic Next Topic: What happened to decorum?
Page: of 47

Benteen
Lt. Colonel

Posted - November 10 2009 :  09:05:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The trooper observations at the time of the battle and later at the RCOI didn't change. They essentially were in agreement with those who said that the battle didn't take long. This taken together with Curley's observations tells us alot.

The volley's DeRudio and Girard heard were those who Curley said were "thrown forward" towards the river. E troop was definitely involved in that attack. Perhaps F also as the Indian statements seem to confirm this. I don't remember now, but one of the troopers reported hearing 9 volleys. Normally after firing the first volley, it was fire at will. So the natural conclusion should be that Custer was trying to preserve ammo.

Deep Ravine has been the source of alot of controversy over the years because supposedly this was where they attacked. But the Indian accounts don't seems to give us that impression. Benteen said that he observed a part of E troop in a deep ravine where no one would have gone there to have fought from. These troopers were overwhelmed at the beginning of the fight and virtually pushed into it, and killed there. Curley then mentions that the company's broke as to form again upon the ridge. Before this happens many of the indian accounts along with Curley's indicated a withdrawal from the river by some of the troops. Some holding position, E troop for sure, while others passed behind. Curley then mentions that those troops holding position failed and the fight had to be taken up again. Those troops that failed were those found in that ravine about 50 yards as Benteen stated from the river. These troopers were never found, and are still there today. The spurious markers accounting for their loss.

Edited by - Benteen on November 10 2009 09:06:29 AM
Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - November 10 2009 :  09:10:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benteen

Who would know, who did know? The troopers who right after that battle counted the spent shells, and several did it.

If your relying upon Indian statements, they vary from little to no ammo in the belts to full belts, or nearly full belts. Perhaps Benteen's "scattered corn" statement best fits what happened. Several positions were overran, one by one, and that kept up until they were finished. And it didn't take any longer than Benteen said it did.

Did the troopers account for approximately 25,000 + rounds of carbine and revolver ammunition?

What does it say regarding the ratio of hits to fired?

How would additional ammunition make them more successful at hits?

What quantity of revolver ammunition was with the pack train?

“ An officer's first duty is to his horses.”

SEMPER FI

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - November 10 2009 :  09:16:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If shallow graves were dug in the bottom of the drainage then a flooding event could move them into the LBH and beyond.

The headstones for Reno's dead were also placed on Custer Battlefield.

SEMPER FI

Benteen
Lt. Colonel

Posted - November 10 2009 :  10:36:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shallow graves were not dug for those in the ravine. According to Goldin who helped bury them, they shoveled dirt down from the edges of the ravine, as they could not get down there to bury them. This to cover not just the men, but the horses as well. So unless a flood happened soon after the battle, I would think no; they are still there.

Benteen
Lt. Colonel

Posted - November 10 2009 :  10:39:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I totally agree Joe, one side in this instance supports the other. And the time's stated is also remarkable too. It could not have been over 1/2 hour from beginning to end.

Benteen
Lt. Colonel

Posted - November 10 2009 :  10:58:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ranger, re. your post, Posted - Today : 09:10:22 AM:

I would imagine you would have the pertinent information on that. However the fact remains that Kanipe was sent back to retrieve the ammo. Curley's statment about the time just after E troop had been sent forward about 100's of mounted warriors coming up in the camp and he thought Custer would have to give up, which he did, was a clear indication that Custer would have needed more ammunition. Now what most don't realize is that retrograde movement and the perspective in which Curley stated things seems out of place, which it was. Because he had said that Custer headed for the SE corner of the battlefield, not that he arrived there, but that he had started out for it. It was at this point where Custer dispatched Kanipe and he, Kanipe rode north, this long after Martin had been dispatched.

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - November 11 2009 :  09:09:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Custer dispatched Kanipe and he, Kanipe rode north, this long after Martin had been dispatched.

Benteen do you just make up your evidence or is there a source?

Kanipe states they are on the bluffs where they first see the village when he is sent.

Here is from his 1924 account on who sent him?

quote:

Well, sir, when the men of those four troops saw the Indian camp down in the valley they began to holler and yell, and we galloped along to the far end of the bluffs, where we could swoop down on the camp * * * * (four words illegible).

I was riding close to Sergeant Finkle. We were both close to Capt. Tom Custer. Finkle hollered at me that he couldn't make it, his horse was giving out. I answered back: "Come on Finkle, if you can." He dropped back a bit.

Just then the captain told me to go back and find McDougall and the pack train and deliver to them orders that had just been issued by General Custer

SEMPER FI

Edited by - AZ Ranger on November 11 2009 09:13:24 AM

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - November 25 2009 :  10:28:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Heavyrunner

The "who's responsible" issue is, to me, simply the old U.S. habit of laying blame, rather than credit. However, it also occurs to me that Sioux and Cheyenne would have been very aware of Custer's tactics at the Wa****a (why, by the way, are asterisks used on that?). They could well have known that a column attacking one end of the village would be followed by a column attacking the other end. We fail too often, sadly, to give credit for such astute and quickly responding generalship. Gall and Crazy Horse are mostly responsible for Custer's problems at the Little Bighorn.

One of the most succinct, concise, and credible threads I have ever had the pleasure to read.

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - November 26 2009 :  10:32:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is a post and a thread the same thing?

SEMPER FI

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - November 27 2009 :  8:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Cloud

It's innately sleazy to pretend to be someone you're not, by name or resume. One. Two, a new ID that is a bovine satire on my particular ID calls attention to itself. Three, traditionally these new ID's appear sequentially after a huffy and highly effeminate announcement of future non-participation while using a previous ID, generally after being justifiably humiliated. Given their expressed concerns with honor and courage it's embarrassing they can neither admit error or demonstrate either of the supposed divine characteristics in such a puny level as this, and choose to hide.

If I mistook your precise wording, I did not mistake "constantly inviting" which is, mildly put, excessive and untrue. You'd be hard put to find me addressing suspicious new ID's except in cases where the new member is attacking me from their first post, as was the case here.

I remember becoming extremely disturbed when dc used the word "sleazy" in reference to Moving robe Woman. I felt, at the time, that this crude remark exemplified all that is wrong with any forum; personal insults.

Apparently, the two of them became friends and resolved their differences. While that is a good thing, I will never understand how dc could be so cruel to make such a harsh remark to such a fine human being. I will always remember you Trish.

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - November 29 2009 :  08:47:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no criteria that anyone be capable of understanding is the obvious answer.

SEMPER FI

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - November 29 2009 :  11:52:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your obvious answer is far from obvious. Understanding is a precious process that allows humanity to accept and deal with heartbreaking situations. Standards are not the issue. It is the ability to "understand" that contributes heavily to the human condition.

Edited by - joe wiggs on November 29 2009 11:54:37 AM

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - November 29 2009 :  12:09:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joe wiggs

Your obvious answer is far from obvious. Understanding is a precious process that allows humanity to accept and deal with heartbreaking situations. Standards are not the issue. It is the ability to "understand" that contributes heavily to the human condition.

The criteria I had in mind would be whether one can be a member and post or not. Being able to understand is not a criteria.

SEMPER FI

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - November 29 2009 :  12:15:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A member of what, the forum? I honestly don't understand your point!

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - November 30 2009 :  08:25:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

A member of what, the forum? I honestly don't understand your point!

Joe I think there is no obligation that persons joining a forum have any expectation that others must have the ability to understand. The best example to me is that in your case you do not understand the difference or at least don't acknowledge the difference in believe and believed as relates to the understanding of testimony. That Benteen's testimony might be related to what he thought in the past and also his current thinking is something different you apparently can not understand.

This doesn't change my postings in regards to your characterization of Benteen's testimony. It does require posting the same information to show the difference in testimony. I have no expectation that you will see the difference but others reading will see an attempt to provide opposing view points. You have provided me no argument that states Benteen is conflicting in his testimony when he believed Custer was alive when he put up the guidon and latter his current belief changed to Custer was dead by the time he received the note from Martin.

Regards

AZ Ranger

SEMPER FI

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - December 01 2009 :  5:05:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let understand this, my whole point was the ignominay of a man referring to a woman as "sleazy" and you somehow equate that with my alleged inabilty to understand the tern "Testimony."

It very difficult to refrain from calling you "names" at this point.

How do the above totally different opines equate in your mind? Oh, yes;misunderstanding. According to you I do not have the elementary ability to understand the term testimony.

Let me remind you of something you apparently forgot, Websters has at least three meanings all of which are correct dependent upon how you use them.

Your usage referred to legal testimony, mine to "oral" testimony which may or may not be legal.

I could never get you to understand those simple ideas so I gave up a long time ago.

Please stop being so much in a rush to judge the mote in my eye when you have a log in yours.

Is there anyone out their who could help me to understand the point az is trying to make? Anybody but you az, anybody but you.

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - December 01 2009 :  7:35:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Let understand this, my whole point was the ignominay of a man referring to a woman as "sleazy" and you somehow equate that with my alleged inabilty to understand the tern "Testimony."

It very difficult to refrain from calling you "names" at this point.

How do the above totally different opines equate in your mind? Oh, yes;misunderstanding. According to you I do not have the elementary ability to understand the term testimony.

Let me remind you of something you apparently forgot, Websters has at least three meanings all of which are correct dependent upon how you use them.

Your usage referred to legal testimony, mine to "oral" testimony which may or may not be legal.

I could never get you to understand those simple ideas so I gave up a long time ago.

Please stop being so much in a rush to judge the mote in my eye when you have a log in yours.

Is there anyone out their who could help me to understand the point az is trying to make? Anybody but you az, anybody but you.

Joe you need to look at my post again. You definitely did not understand it and you are proving a point that I made. That post had nothing to do with your statement " I do not have the elementary ability to understand the term testimony."

Look again Joe.

quote:
The best example to me is that in your case you do not understand the difference or at least don't acknowledge the difference in believe and believed as relates to the understanding of testimony. That Benteen's testimony might be related to what he thought in the past and also his current thinking is something different you apparently can not understand.

You arguing about the definition of testimony which was on another thread and has nothing to do with my post on this thread. My post refers to believe and believed not the definition of testimony. Not even you can dispute that Benteen's statements at RCOI are testimony.

If your going to call anyone names it should be yourself. You clearly did not understand what I posted.

AZ Ranger

SEMPER FI

Benteen
Lt. Colonel

Posted - December 02 2009 :  07:50:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The "who's responsible" issue is, to me, simply the old U.S. habit of laying blame, rather than credit. However, it also occurs to me that Sioux and Cheyenne would have been very aware of Custer's tactics at the Wa****a (why, by the way, are asterisks used on that?). They could well have known that a column attacking one end of the village would be followed by a column attacking the other end. We fail too often, sadly, to give credit for such astute and quickly responding generalship. Gall and Crazy Horse are mostly responsible for Custer's problems at the Little Bighorn.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the most succinct, concise, and credible threads I have ever had the pleasure to read.....(Joe Wiggs)

I agree Joe. And little did they know what else Custer had planned for them. Well then of course, there was Benteen, and Reno who we really do now know failed him that day. It wasn't a designed "charge" from the beginning, which "bring them to battle" didn't mean, it was simply "bring them to battle", then at a certain moment in time "when you see or hear me (Custer)", then Charge. Reno used every wit in his book to find a reason to "charge" when he did, which by Custer's orders he was supposed to do, yet - yet which way did he "charge"?

Perhaps CH, Gall and a few others could take a little credit. I wont take anything away from them. But I sure would like to take away a whole hell-of-alot from Reno and Benteen. Hero's they were not, and most certainly the most disgraceful of any who ever wore a Cavalry uniform that day. At key moments in the battle history of that battle what did each of them do? Turned tail and ran. And what was EACH of them SUPPOSED TO HAVE DONE?... By the book, by the orders, that they had?.... Ya think?

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - December 02 2009 :  08:58:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You just can't give the Indians credit even it takes some convoluted plan of attack to attempt to take away the credit from the Sioux. I think Joe is Sioux. Aren't you Joe? Or was Trish mistaken?

So Benteen's theory of a "Plan" is that Reno is to charge fleeing Indians and bring them to battle bit but not do a complete a charge if they run into an unknown village. That would mean Custer did not want Reno to not finish the mission but wait until Custer attacks on the Big Village which Custer had not yet seen.

So in this theory of the Plan just how long was Reno to wait? When faced on an offensive mission with overwhelming odds of warriors willing to fight timing is everything.

Heavyrunner is right in my opinion the Indians won and I disagree with Benteen that Custer would have ever gave Reno a plan that required that he attack against overwhelming odds and then stop and wait to see what happens.

AZ Ranger

SEMPER FI

Benteen
Lt. Colonel

Posted - December 03 2009 :  11:28:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe,

Past threads on this and other’s have some enlightening things to offer on the subject's at hand. While most if not all of the contents are pertinent, those in bold being the most prescient to understand I therefore submit:

quote:
Gosh, a poll that actually assesses blame to someone OTHER than GAC and Major Marcus Reno! The more I read about LBH (and when it comes to that battle, I am a novice--I am more interested in GAC the PERSON), the more I am convinced that it was the US Army and its policies, in their infinite wisdom, that caused the debacle at LBH. As I have read it in other forums and books, GAC was using, with the three-pronged attack, a method tried and true throughout history, one hammered into his head whilst at West Point, specified in Upton's "Cavalry Tactics", and as ... gosh, who was it again, mentioned--a GREAT way of dealing with a FOREIGN enemy, not one of the Sioux's cunning and individualistic fighting techniques. In addition, Custer knew that Reno had failed him, perhaps all of Terry's command, when he did not complete the scouting mission that he was assigned from the Far West, and was powerless to change, due to Army protocol, the battle order--that the Major would take the initial offensive to the united tribes' village, leaving Custer unable to change orders or risk court martial himself (although I am constantly wondering that had GAC WON, would anyone have cared if he re-arranged his men). An army that does not change itself, does not allow for some command creativity is asking for a loss--and unfortunately, at LBH, it was a magnificent one. And now, just learning that Sheridan MIGHT have known just how huge the gathered village might have been, as soon as 6.08.76, and DID not notify Terry ... yep, Reno messed up ... Custer had some blame in the debacle, but I look at the US Army and say "shame on you!"

movingrobe

quote:
quote:

quote:

The "who's responsible" issue is, to me, simply the old U.S. habit of laying blame, rather than credit. The Sioux and Cheyenne would have been very aware of Custer's tactics. Gall and Crazy Horse are mostly responsible for Custer's problems at the Little Bighorn.

I hate to disagree, but most of the sources I have read (Michno, Hardorff, etc.,) indicate that the Sioux and Cheyenne had no earthly idea who they were fighting (most thought it was Crook) at Little Bighorn! And then there are some examples that a few participants didn't learn until well past thirty years after the battle that they had defeated Custer! In these sources there is a sense of surprise among those Native Americans whose tales were recorded. The NA victory at LBH came as much of a "surprise" to their participants--at about the same time ultimate defeat must have finally registered in Custer's mind.

Although there were war chiefs in the Indian village, there was no formal military command structure among any of the tribes--be it Oglala, Hunkpapa, Sans Arc, Minneconjou, Arapaho, Brule, Two Kettle or Cheyenne.

In "Lakota Noon," you'll find (according to Michno) that neither Chief Gall or Crazy Horse had major, major roles in the Indian victory (though I am not entirely sure if I can buck the traits of legend). Victory, according to Michno, seemed to depend upon mostly upon the directions and the "martyring" of Lame White Man.

Regards,

movingrobe

quote:
I agree--don't think Gall or Crazy Horse played much of an individual role. Indian "tactics" seemed to be just reactions to Reno's and Custers initiatives (such as they were). Sort of like beetles wandering into an anthill --ants all run to where the beetle is. Add a second beetle from a diferent direction, and they all run over there.

Edited by - Brent on September 16 2004 06:34:39 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sgtmajor109th

Brent, I am sure you are right in what you say. I have said before
I am not all that keen on Benteen in some of actions, I guess what
really gets to you is why. I have also been puzzled by one fact that
Benteen said in his statement to "Brininstool". He said that when he
received the message from Martin, "I am convinced that the order
brought to me by Martin reached me, Gen. Custer and his whole command
where dead". The question is why did he think that, and was that an
excuse for dragging his feet?. He was given the order by Custer which
surely would indicate that he wasn't dead.

At this moment in time I feel that I am culpable for bashing Benteen beyond reason. I truly do not mean to do so. One can only imagine the hell he and the others went through during and after the battle. Pain, anguish, resentment, and regrets, I am sure, followed him to his grave.

Having said this, the only action that history should hold him accountable for is his undeniable false testimony at the Reno Inquiry. This testimony, taken under sworn oath, has saddled an already enigmatic, historical event with needless additional obscurity.

As has been pointed out, Benteen was convinced that Custer and his command had been dead when Martini handed him the note. How then does one rationale the fact that when Benteen arrived at Weir Peaks he climbed to the top of the left hill and jammed his troop guidon into the ground? Was it a signal to the Indians or a beacon to military survivors?

Benteen Testimony describing why he planted the guidon:

"I thought the command was still alive." [he had already testified that Custer's men were all dead, 1 1/2 hours earlier.]Gray, p323

It is certain that an individual whose character was as complex as Benteen be afforded every opportunity for understanding. At the same time, it is equally important to address the facts of this battle as well. After all, there are so few of them.

Edited by - joe wiggs on July 25 2008 11:16:17 AM

quote:
When Benteen testified at the RCOI he followed on after Martini. Martini had testified that he had taken of the order of 45 minutes to travel from Custer to Benteen (this was probably an over estimate but it is what he said). He had also, according to what he said he told Benteen, seen Custer's force engaged (most probably skirmishing in MTC).

Benteen's own assessment from the body locations was that the Custer fight did not last much more than 45 minutes. Thus there is some logic to Benteen's suggestion that Custer was already dead by the time he met Martini.

Nowadays we are pretty sure that Custer's command was not all dead by that time (although of course Custer himself could have been killed). However, Benteen certainly identified an area of some mystery because if Custer was not dead what was he doing for all the time that Martini took and then Benteen took to get to Reno Hill.

I guess this particular mysterious can of worms was one that the RCOI Recorder Jesse Lee chose not to investigate. I do not know whether Benteen really beleived at the time of the RCOI that Custer was already dead when he received Martini's message, but by making the remark he did he effectively stopped a number of possible areas of debate.

Regards

Mike

DC once said, “Anything that appears after 1879 need be inhaled with appreciation for the passage of time and peer pressure on participants and media.”

I’ll go it one better and say, “Anything that appears after (1876) need be inhaled with appreciation for the passage of time and peer pressure on participants and media.”

Edited by - Benteen on December 03 2009 11:30:13 AM

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - December 04 2009 :  06:49:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think one should always look at accounts, statements, and testimony with due caution. There are lots of trials that take more than one year of time to begin so I see no problem with the RCOI. I doubt that the testimony would have been much different in 1876.

SEMPER FI

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - December 04 2009 :  8:28:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Benteen, an incredible post, absolutely incredible. Your point regarding information after 1876 is so poignant as it exemplifies the major difficulty in discerning what actually occurred during and after this battle. Great job!

Benteen
Lt. Colonel

Posted - December 05 2009 :  10:17:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe,

By “anything” that would also include Wallace’s trivial pursuits in later concluding the times that he did. One simply must allow for the “passage of time”, “peer pressure upon him” and of course the ever present “media” attention that he could attain by the lies he submitted. Had the court properly conducted the interviews and properly followed up their questioning, those lies would have been exposed for what they were. And AZ is absolutely right here in Wallace's case, "I think one should always look at accounts, statements, and testimony with due caution."

Edited by - Benteen on December 05 2009 10:19:38 AM

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - December 05 2009 :  9:59:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course you are right. I think the major problem is that some students take a certain perspective and refuse to budge even when faced with valid information that differs from their perspective. Truth can not be revealed if past theories are not open to discussion in a manner of civility and demure responses.

Benteen
Lt. Colonel

Posted - December 06 2009 :  12:16:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree Joe. So many times threads meant to discuss a "certain subject" or "aspect" of the battle is perverted into other areas that it ought not go. The term 'hijack' comes to mind, but then, one supposes that isn't against any human ethical or moral standard, enough so as to fly an airline into a building or derail a train or for that matter a conversation. Case in point, this thread and the lame areas of modern personal statements made instead of discussing the actual "subject" of the thread, which by now, No one in their right mind, would imagine for a moment, would have had anything to do with you Joe.
Page: of 47 Previous Topic: Deductive reasoning ~ The Village Topic Next Topic: What happened to decorum?  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Custom Search

Against All Odds Message Board © 1998-2010 Rich Federici/Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
This page was raised in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03