Against All Odds Message Board
Against All Odds Message Board
5/4/2024 5:45:37 AM
Home | Old Board Archives | Events | Polls
Photo Album | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages | Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Chat
Bookmarks | Active Topics
Invite A Friend To Face The Odds!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Battle of the Little Bighorn - 1876
 Custer's Last Stand
 Responsibility At Little Bighorn
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Deductive reasoning ~ The Village Topic Next Topic: What happened to decorum?
Page: of 47

movingrobewoman
Lt. Colonel

USA

Posted - September 28 2006 :  11:23:00 PM  Show Profile  Send movingrobewoman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You're constantly inviting people over at the LBHA board to visit the "discussions" here at this one, DC--though I don't understand why you bother. That said, who is to say a member from there hasn't registered over here to participate?

I think you're dead wrong here, fella. You really need to get over this obsession with user IDs unless you have the goods to back it up.

movingrobe
Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - September 28 2006 :  11:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Again, you misstate. I've twice suggested, maybe three times, rather than repeat everything again, people merely read stuff on this board, and they do. And people have registered at both boards. I never asked anyone to join a discussion here, much less constantly invited them to do so. You're not referenced, in any case.

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
darkcloud@darkendeavors.com
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com

movingrobewoman
Lt. Colonel

USA

Posted - September 29 2006 :  10:37:08 AM  Show Profile  Send movingrobewoman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think I used the word "visit," not contribute. One needs to register only to participate--but it still doesn't answer the fact that new participants at either board get the typical "IP" questioning from Dark Cloud, because you run a blog or something similar. What does one have to do with the other?

Thought maybe you had learned to look before you leap, but I guess you haven't.

movingrobe

wILD I
Brigadier General

Ireland

Posted - September 29 2006 :  11:26:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In relation to defensive positions in the area of operations.There were none.All positions held by the 7th during the 2 day action were compromised in that they could be approached by the Indians to within stone throwing distance.The Reno/Benteen position was woeful and would not have held another day ,just check the casualty figures for that position.

movingrobewoman
Lt. Colonel

USA

Posted - September 29 2006 :  11:56:30 AM  Show Profile  Send movingrobewoman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
wILD--

I made a real effort during my visit to LBH this June to look at the defense-ability of the Reno/Benteen battlefield--and I think you are correct in that regards. Sharpshooter Ridge provided easy pickings for the Indians, if truly interested, as do a few ridges to the east. That said, what was the better choice?

Hoka hey!

movingrobe

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - September 29 2006 :  12:13:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's innately sleazy to pretend to be someone you're not, by name or resume. One. Two, a new ID that is a bovine satire on my particular ID calls attention to itself. Three, traditionally these new ID's appear sequentially after a huffy and highly effeminate announcement of future non-participation while using a previous ID, generally after being justifiably humiliated. Given their expressed concerns with honor and courage it's embarrassing they can neither admit error or demonstrate either of the supposed divine characteristics in such a puny level as this, and choose to hide.

If I mistook your precise wording, I did not mistake "constantly inviting" which is, mildly put, excessive and untrue. You'd be hard put to find me addressing suspicious new ID's except in cases where the new member is attacking me from their first post, as was the case here.

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com

movingrobewoman
Lt. Colonel

USA

Posted - September 29 2006 :  12:49:35 PM  Show Profile  Send movingrobewoman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It's relatively easy to discern a poster's identity from writing style, use of punctuation, and verbology. Like I said, I think you're dead wrong here--kind of how you were with those so-called "damning" photographs, eh? THAT is innately sleazy and morally reprehensible.

movingrobe

shadymist
Private

Posted - September 29 2006 :  2:08:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do you know if any free Indians DID NOT ride with saddle sin 1876?

Following is a brief description garnered from the Web of the various saddles used by Plains Indians:

Prairie Chicken Snare saddles were made of wooden side boards with mule deer or elk antlers for the low bow pommel and cantle. These were a general all purpose saddles that men and women both rode, it was also useful as a pack saddle.

Whitetail deer antler saddles were also made of wood and antler. However, these saddles have a distinct arched curve to the pommel and cantle. There were also general purpose saddles

Southern plains women's saddles are made entirely of wood and covered with rawhide. The high dished out forks are hand carved and flare outwards. The forks were usually brass tacked and fringed. This style saddle was common among the Southern Cheyenne, Arapaho, Kiowa, and Comanche.

Northern Plains women's saddle were all wood construction. It has high forks with or without fringe, but not dished out as severely as the Southern Style.

Plateau women's saddles have very tall forks terminating in a flat disc. These usually had beaded tabs hanging from the forks and stirrups. These saddles are usually covered with white buckskin.

It's obvious that Indians used saddles to be able to sit properly on a horse, never mind staying on one. It's also likely they rode bareback when needed, but saddles were used more than not.

I believe the "greatest light cavalry" statement was attributed to the Comanche and rightly so. They were the best Native American horseman on plains. They rode in quickly in organized groups, did their damage, and rode away even quicker. That's what impressed whites. They were also expert horse breeders, again probably the best on the Plains.

I doubt any whites on the Plains was familiar with ancient Mexico and if you want to nit pick about that go ahead. The statements were based on experiences with Plains Indians.

wILD I
Brigadier General

Ireland

Posted - September 29 2006 :  4:45:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MRW
I have never seen the ground so I'm at a disadvantage having to rely on maps and aerial photos so I'm pleased that someone who has studied the field concurs with my observations.
As regards a better position than the R/B position I would like to see the Weir Point area.There are two ridges running North from here which if incorporated in a perimiter defence offer some possibility.The position would have been nearer Terry and it is possible that the village could have been brought under fire from here.Also as a pr exercise it would have saved Benteen and Reno from charges of deserting Custer.And pushing the bounds of possibility just a little further just might have relieved the pressure on Custer.

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - September 30 2006 :  12:55:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage  Reply with Quote
MRW

"It's relatively easy to discern a poster's identity from writing style, use of punctuation, and verbology." Verbology? Illiteracy, you mean? If the writer is inept or not trying, yes. And I've said this. If someone puts effort into it, few can tell.

"Like I said, I think you're dead wrong here--kind of how you were with those so-called "damning" photographs, eh? THAT is innately sleazy and morally reprehensible." I'm comfortable and pretty sure I'm right. What "damning" photographs do you refer to? A lot of people on Custer boards have multiple ID's; none for elevating reasons.

SM,

1. There'd be, you know, evidence of the huge numbers of Indian saddles in 1876 or before.

2. "Following is a....." Unless this applies to 1876 or before, and there are no dates appended, what is the relevance? In any case, few Indians had saddles or wanted them.

3. "I believe the "greatest light cavalry" statement....." This is wishful thinking. To the point, the quotes we're talking about said "..in the world", which I claim baseless hyperbole. The Cheyenne were highly regarded horsemen, so were the Comanche, but neither were cavalry or fought as cavalry. They were great horsemen and dragoons, but didn't fight as mounted units except coincidently.

4. You said North America, and you apparently weren't counting Mexico if you "doubt any whites on the Plains was familiar with ancient Mexico" which is irrelevant anyway. It's your claim. It's either the biggest village of hostiles in North America, or it is not, and Mexico alone provided many more to Cortez and others and is in North America, not just your retreat to "the plains." In any case, the mountain Nez Perce might argue with the claim in general, or the Shoshone.

That isn't nit picking. That's correcting an ill thought out blather. The statements regarding the Indians as 'cavalry' were based on some claimed experience with, but mostly rumors of, a few tribes on the plains, none of whom were cavalry in the sense the users imply.

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - September 30 2006 :  7:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I had a User name of Proceedingcoatfemale would you be suspicious of my intent when I post?

“ An officer's first duty is to his horses.”

SEMPER FI

movingrobewoman
Lt. Colonel

USA

Posted - October 01 2006 :  11:12:36 AM  Show Profile  Send movingrobewoman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We're all big kids here, AZ; some of us have developed thick skins whether we have wanted to do so or not.

I stand by what I posted.

movingrobe

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - October 01 2006 :  1:00:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As we all should.

AZ Ranger

SEMPER FI

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - October 08 2006 :  2:37:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those who are not aware, Movingrobe Woman is a prestigious name among the Sioux. It is believed that she actually engaged herself in the combat portion of the battle. She may have been the one who placed a bullet into the mortally wounded scout,Isaiah Dorman. During a dangerous moment, with bullets and arrows filling the air, Movingrobe Woman stood out as an individual not to be taken lightly.

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - October 08 2006 :  2:49:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wILD I

MRW

As regards a better position than the R/B position I would like to see the Weir Point area.There are two ridges running North from here which if incorporated in a perimiter defence offer some possibility.The position would have been nearer Terry and it is possible that the village could have been brought under fire from here.Also as a pr exercise it would have saved Benteen and Reno from charges of deserting Custer.And pushing the bounds of possibility just a little further just might have relieved the pressure on Custer.

Wild, you are correct regarding the defensibility of Weir Point's two summits. The only problem here is that the soldiers would have been completely cut off from a water supply. Giving the amount of thirst these men suffered from one can only imagine the trauma, real or imagined, they would have experienced had no water been assessable to them as it was so at Reno Hill.

Edited by - joseph wiggs on October 08 2006 2:52:13 PM

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - October 22 2006 :  11:30:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently Reno and Benteen didn't see it that way unless they realized the water issue.

AZ Ranger

SEMPER FI

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - December 22 2006 :  9:55:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Cloud

It's innately sleazy to pretend to be someone you're not, by name or resume.

Please forgive me for my more than tardy response to this thread but, once I discovered it I simply had to respond. In my humble opinion, the term "sleazy" is so anti-social that members of "polite" society learned a long time ago not to use it. The reasons for not doing so are "inherently" substantial and cognitive. So much so that explanation should not be necessary.

Without boring the board to tears, I will reduce my argument to a fundamental rationalization;decency. The term "sleazy" encompasses such a huge spectrum of disgusting images of perversion that to utilize such a term on this forum serves no purpose other than to offend the recipient.

It's usage does not resolve issues, it does not clarify perspectives, nor does it contribute towards a productive discussion regarding any topic. It does nothing but, demean. It is my sincere belief, that such terminology, void of any value whatever, should be classified along with the inexcusable use of profanity.

In summation, it is my earnest belief that it is "sleazy" to use the word "sleazy" to describe the actions of a member of this board. Disagreement is a fundamental essence of debate. If we all agreed ed "en Toto" this forum would exemplify acute boredom. However, to reduce dialog to primitive slurs serves no purpose other than to demean another human being.

The only innate emotion within all of us is our God given right to deal with others with kindness or cruelty, with respect or disrespect, with acceptance or non-acceptance.

If we disagree with each other, let us enjoy the freedom to do so and respond upon our varied positions with facts based upon a diligent consummation of information that will enable us to respond with intelligence and reasonableness. The moment we attempt to enforce our perspectives by describing our opponents in derogatory terms reduces the speaker to the most primitive state.

My friends, here's to a board where all participants engage in discussion, disagreement, and a wonderful exchange of information without the use of vile and despicable terms such as "sleaze."

Edited by - joseph wiggs on December 22 2006 10:33:16 PM

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - December 31 2006 :  9:11:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now back to the topic of this thread.

SEMPER FI

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - December 31 2006 :  9:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amen!!!

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - January 01 2007 :  12:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So is the answer to the Poll that started this thread, all of the above?

SEMPER FI

Edited by - AZ Ranger on January 01 2007 12:15:50 PM

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - January 03 2007 :  6:35:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How very astute of you my friend. For a fact, your choice makes better sense than any of the previous posted options, including mine of course. I just wish I had thought of of it first.

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - January 03 2007 :  10:17:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Joe

I think there were numerous things that all contributed to the outcome and when you focus on one individual it never totals full blame for the outcome.

AZ Ranger

SEMPER FI

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - January 05 2007 :  8:37:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AZ, how ironic. The enigma of this battle is that the truth will never be known and yet we feverishly seek it. Truth may be exemplified by this thought, no single entity is solely responsible for an event. And as you say, full blame upon a single individual is never the answer.

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - January 08 2007 :  08:54:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone looks for that one wrong decision or lack of fortitude to change the outcome of the battle. Its not there. As DC has pointed out, it is really simple - they lost. The Indians lost also by not following up and destroying the rest of the 7th and Terry and remaining united.

AZ Ranger

SEMPER FI

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - January 09 2007 :  8:06:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True, they simply lost. Perhaps it is part of the American psyche (or any great Nation for that matter)to decry a military defeat by opponents deemed to be inferior in one way or another? Ergo, defeat can only be explained by accusations of overwhelming numbers, cheating, or some other dastardly reason.

Excuses are no more than smoke screens that serve no purpose other than to distort reality to a personal perspective. However, the Indians may have destroyed the rest of the 7th., Terry,and the U. S. Congress and their future would not have changed. Their final destiny was written in stone with the unanticipated arrival of the first "White" man.
Page: of 47 Previous Topic: Deductive reasoning ~ The Village Topic Next Topic: What happened to decorum?  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Custom Search

Against All Odds Message Board © 1998-2010 Rich Federici/Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
This page was raised in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03