Against All Odds Message Board
Against All Odds Message Board
5/4/2024 4:43:49 AM
Home | Old Board Archives | Events | Polls
Photo Album | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages | Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Chat
Bookmarks | Active Topics
Invite A Friend To Face The Odds!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Battle of the Little Bighorn - 1876
 Custer's Last Stand
 Responsibility At Little Bighorn
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Deductive reasoning ~ The Village Topic Next Topic: What happened to decorum?
Page: of 47

BJMarkland
Colonel

USA

Posted - May 17 2005 :  11:25:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit BJMarkland's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Joe, thanks for the compliments but that wasn't research, just something interesting I had read while doing some background research on my major research emphasis.

All I was doing, despite WB's misreading, is to demonstrate that in the post-Civil War frontier army, aggressive action seems to have been the norm when confronting hostile forces (or those perceived as hostile). Other examples may be found as one digs or simply reads about frontier military history . Actually, aggressive action was not only confined to the post-war period but to the antibellum period also, witness Sumner's hasty attack on the Cheyenne in the last know saber charge against Indians. It is just that the northern plains was largely peaceful during that period with the majority of the actions taking place in Texas and environs against the Commanche, Lipan and Apache.

Billy

Billy
Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page

BJMarkland
Colonel

USA

Posted - May 17 2005 :  11:33:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit BJMarkland's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sheesh WB, you were having a bad day yesterday weren't you?

You said

quote:
And too, gaining the initiative of surprise is just good common sense in any offensive/defensive dichotomy. Of course, I don't think General Custer thought he was surprising anybody.

Actually, the topic Col. Smith was discussing was initiative and surprise was only one of the means to gain the initiative as the original quote demonstrates:

"Initiative might be gained by surprise, direction of movment, audacity, or violence of execution."

Gotta go, my turn on the conference call.

Billy

whistlingboy
Lieutenant

USA

Posted - May 17 2005 :  5:08:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BJ: Sheesh! I'm actually having a great day, thank you. Your tenseness is probably due in part to being on conference call, do you think, BJ?

First of all, as long as we know what you mean, it is no big deal but the way this is worded--

"...the "hasty attack" and the effort to gain initiative seems to not have simply been a Custer "me-first" grandstanding move but a coldly-considered effort to put his troops in a position to win,..."

--does not communicate a 'negative' but a positive statement made so by the insertion of the word 'simply.' Some people might have taken that to mean "to not have only been 'this' but 'this other, too.'

Hope the conferencing goes well for you.

WB

--the hasty attack and the effort to gain initiative was not a Custer 'me-first' grandstanding move--- would have been less confusing because it is an emphatic statement.

BJMarkland
Colonel

USA

Posted - May 17 2005 :  5:34:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit BJMarkland's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, sometimes I do get overly wordy. I did mean that statement to be a postive for GAC, in that I can begin to understand some of the logic in his moves-well, perhaps not Benteen being sent to the left with his companies when a smaller detachment could have covered more ground with less dust and time (and I am not talking about the scouts). Who knows, perhaps with another two companies and Benteen with his known aggressiveness to bolster Reno, the "charge" to the rear would not have happened and GAC would have gained a complete victory when he trapped and captured the retreating non-combatants by crossing either MTC or Ford D.

Actually the conference call went well, only one hour today. Frustration is seeping in dealing with Adobe Acrobat, which seems not to have a batch conversion tool anywhere that I can find.

Later,

Billy

Edited by - BJMarkland on May 17 2005 5:38:16 PM

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - June 04 2005 :  3:13:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Prior to the War of 1812 and the annexation of Spanish owned
Florida, the Native American enjoyed the backing of powerful European allies. Allies who wished nothing more than to see the U.S. falter and stumble in its quest as a growing world power.

Britain, France, and Spain paid homage to the various Indian Confederacy's in hopes of playing one group against another while all of them conspired against our fledging Country.

Needless to say, after these historic events transpired, U.S. concern for the Native American's potential support from the European allies was dramatically reduced.

"No longer concerned with the tribe's military power or their potential for collaboration with Europeans, President Andrew Jackson viewed the tribes solely as obstacles to American expansion." As a result of this government philosophy, the "Indian Removal Act" was legislated in the 1840's with the purpose of removing Indians from the path of settlement. Understandably, for those who believe that U.S. expansion was of absolute priority, and there are many who do, removal of Indians will not mean much. However, let us visualize the same legislation being enacted in 2005 calling for the force removal Eskimo's from Northern Alaska for further oil development. The lawyers would be lined up from here to China in response to the Hue and Cry from the human Rights group.

In 1869, Congress created the Board of Indian Commissioners. This commission consisted of businessmen who received no salary for their efforts yet, they were solely responsible for all Indian expenditures. Imagine that! Total corruption was but a step away with the Indian the victim.

Government endorsed legislation that reduced the Native American to forced settlement at barren,reservations were eventually countered by important legislation such as the Indian Self-Determination Act, the Educational Assistance Act, and the Child Welfare Act Act of the mid-1970's.

In summation, responsibility for the LBHB needs to be shared by a whole cast of characters beyond the scope of a few military commanders following, what they perceived to me, lawful orders.

BJMarkland
Colonel

USA

Posted - June 19 2005 :  02:57:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit BJMarkland's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Paul, please supply some documentation for the below quote of yours:

"B. The Indians lied in order to keep secret their real losses. Afterwards, they were scared they would be hanged for torturing to death approx. 40 soldiers! Also killing the wounded.
C. Indian losses are put at 30 officially. Army losses somewhere around 300? Actual losses are probably on the order of one to two thousand for the indians. Because of the lying, no one will ever know."

Specifically, the torturing of 40 U.S. troops as well as the one to two thousand Indian deaths.

Thanks,

Billy

P.S. Oh, by the way, answer the question rather than attack the questioner, OK?

whistlingboy
Lieutenant

USA

Posted - June 20 2005 :  4:15:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Warlord: I know how you are with the General and that's okay, but if your opinion is true that "The man was a disaster and should have never been returned to command anything!"....all the other higher-ups, being on top of things, would have realized that same opinion, I guess you would think, and does that mean he was 'set-up' then, by the higher-ups who then would also not give a 'crap' about any other man's life either? True, the Indians were supplied by the United States government having been sold the latest in repeater technology and were advantaged by superior numbers but it is my position that that is why they won---intelligence wasn't their ally.

My position too is that Custer was given misinformation and had not a clue of the numbers facing him. If the Indians knew his presence from when he was at lone tepee, why didn't they re-act then and meet the obvious farther away from their village? They knew the enemy was coming and they didn't know what to do? They didn't think the Army was coming after them? If you go there, the topography allows only a limited amount of options to get to the valley of the LBH coming from the 7th's approach and if the Indians, in fact, knew they were marching their way, they could have met and proabably annililated the 7th where they were, with all the warriors they had to throw against them. Custer's fault then would have been just being there. Maybe attention should be directed to Gibbon and Terry and what was it that they did or didn't know?
They didn't know Crook failed and had no intentions of showing up. What else didn't they know?
The point, whether it be one man or one battalion, has a dangerous job to perform which is often fatal. If nothing else, Custer's efforts slowed the indians down for a 'lagging' Gibbon/Terry column.

whistlingboy
Lieutenant

USA

Posted - June 21 2005 :  01:04:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Warlord: You do sound confident about your 'facts.' You seem to have your position in order. You are probably right about 'just dealing with facts.' I don't see them as clearly as you do so I get bogged down in emotion.

When I said he at least 'slowed them down' I was merely alluding to the 'fact' that the Indians never really again won anything and ran into their destiny. The irony was that even though the Army lost that physical battle, it used it to win the propaganda battle by achieving a consensus of contempt against what was left of the Indian nation. They had killed the nation's hero and would have to pay. Custer really didn't slow their movement, he stopped it in its tracks. Their life was reduced to running; being hunted down like a dog.

Not 'lagging' physically, mentally.

You say Custer wasn't a good Indian fighter but you don't say who was a good Indian fighter. I haven't found the manual yet prescribed for the Army at that time to fight the Indians but have some sources working on it for me. In the meantime, he was versed in small-tactical attacks which probably equipped him well enough to handle the situation.

It sounds like we think similarly on the higher-ups, whoever they were. You stated it quite well. Of course, it is nearly impossible to prove such emotional views.

Crook's 'back' wasn't broken down in Wyoming, his spirit was; unbecoming of an officer in charge. I hold him in contempt. Sorry. Reno too! Sorry. It takes a full commitment from everyone on a team--not three-fifths; not three-fourths. When the order is given to 'take the hill' that means everyone in the assault; not one man nor one company has the right to 'tail and run' before the job is done.

If Gibbon/Terry knew of all those Indians, possibly 6000 warriors, then he probably knew where they were and should have had everyone in position including his own rearend. Believing such 'intelligence' and then sending a smattering of soldiers to find 6000 warriors would seem rather suicidal. Being found out by 6000 warriors would be like walking into a Grizzley bear den by mistake--you don't leave without being eaten. I disagree that the 'plan' was well laid out. It had too many 'ifs' built in. So, let's send Mikey to check it out.

As I build my diorama, I will keep much of what you say in mind, though. Mine is going to be a little more elaborate than the one at the LBH park and most likely not totally in tune with its philosophy. But it will still play in the schools and be well received. I assure you of that. I am still trying to recognize a consensus view all along the trail as to the order of events so that my lecture will not have to include as many different 'points of view' as are often portrayed here at AAO.

"No me saques sin razon; no me envaines sin honor"

movingrobewoman
Lt. Colonel

USA

Posted - June 21 2005 :  01:55:16 AM  Show Profile  Send movingrobewoman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whistlingboy

Warlord: You do sound confident about your 'facts.' You seem to have your position in order. You are probably right about 'just dealing with facts.' I don't see them as clearly as you do so I get bogged down in emotion.

When I said he at least 'slowed them down' I was merely alluding to the 'fact' that the Indians never really again won anything and ran into their destiny. The irony was that even though the Army lost that physical battle, it used it to win the propaganda battle by achieving a consensus of contempt against what was left of the Indian nation. They had killed the nation's hero and would have to pay. Custer really didn't slow their movement, he stopped it in its tracks. Their life was reduced to running; being hunted down like a dog.

Not 'lagging' physically, mentally.

You say Custer wasn't a good Indian fighter but you don't say who was a good Indian fighter. I haven't found the manual yet prescribed for the Army at that time to fight the Indians but have some sources working on it for me. In the meantime, he was versed in small-tactical attacks which probably equipped him well enough to handle the situation.

It sounds like we think similarly on the higher-ups, whoever they were. You stated it quite well. Of course, it is nearly impossible to prove such emotional views.

Crook's 'back' wasn't broken down in Wyoming, his spirit was; unbecoming of an officer in charge. I hold him in contempt. Sorry. Reno too! Sorry. It takes a full commitment from everyone on a team--not three-fifths; not three-fourths. When the order is given to 'take the hill' that means everyone in the assault; not one man nor one company has the right to 'tail and run' before the job is done.

If Gibbon/Terry knew of all those Indians, possibly 6000 warriors, then he probably knew where they were and should have had everyone in position including his own rearend. Believing such 'intelligence' and then sending a smattering of soldiers to find 6000 warriors would seem rather suicidal. Being found out by 6000 warriors would be like walking into a Grizzley bear den by mistake--you don't leave without being eaten. I disagree that the 'plan' was well laid out. It had too many 'ifs' built in. So, let's send Mikey to check it out.

As I build my diorama, I will keep much of what you say in mind, though. Mine is going to be a little more elaborate than the one at the LBH park and most likely not totally in tune with its philosophy. But it will still play in the schools and be well received. I assure you of that. I am still trying to recognize a consensus view all along the trail as to the order of events so that my lecture will not have to include as many different 'points of view' as are often portrayed here at AAO.

WB--

I have to applaud your use of the inscription on the Toledo Blade, as well as your openness to ideas other than your own in pursuing your diorama. I hope to, one of these days, present Custer as a introductory study to the art of historiography in a few local high schools. So in many ways, I'm in your corner--you GO!

I may be basing this on later actions, but I believe Crook turned out to be the best Indian fighter--though he mellowed with age. When we look at Custer's experience, apart from Was-hita and a few skirmishes (though he nearly bit it during the Yellowstone expedition), there wasn't much there (of course my family would argue for Kit Carson, those durned Navajos) .... but like everybody, he seemed to believe that the Native Americans would scatter. I do NOT believe in a firm rendezvous between Custer and Terry/Gibbons, but I do think GAC's not scouting Tulloch's Creek might have made a difference ... and wasn't the Seventh in the field to act as a 'beater'--forcing the fleeing NAs to the north and a HUGE battle?

But as you say, the LBH turned out not to be Custer's last stand, but rather the Indians ... and yes, the grizzly defeat at LBH was turned into fodder for an anti-Indian campaign, so it seems ....

Good luck, WB!

movingrobe

whistlingboy
Lieutenant

USA

Posted - June 21 2005 :  09:49:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MRW: I've always kept that inscription on my desks. He must have thought of honor from time to time, at least.

I'm trying to have some fun here, MRW, all along, though, searching for what, I think, the consensus might be by a large population of 'interested' students of this event on many of its most salient aspects. The purpose of the 'tour' will be to re-introduce the youth of this country to this event, reinvigorate the study of it and hopefully contribute to the discovery of new facts and/or interesting aspects yet uncovered.

Warlord, of course, is right about dealing with 'facts' but we all know how obscure those seem to be. Nevertheless, the presentation will be a fair assessment of the battle from both the side of the Indians and the side of the government, will not denigrate the honor of either, will present different 'threads' of prevailing thought and will, hopefully, stimulate new questions. I don't want to 'beat a dead horse' but I do want to destroy some of the prejudices held by both sides so as to present a more truer American story of one its most famous episodes.

Congratulations are due you, going by what Warlord said and so I just say, Way to go, Movingrobe. Always look forward to reading your contributions to the board.

movingrobewoman
Lt. Colonel

USA

Posted - June 21 2005 :  11:06:54 AM  Show Profile  Send movingrobewoman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
WB--

Certainly, Custer thought of honour, and acted with honour. I especially remember reading about that one battle during the ACW when he and his horse bowed to his opponent (I'm thinking it was Rosser), though Urwin notes that it was more of a reconnaissance mission. He might not have always followed that same instinct off the battlefield, but that's for another day (and another thread). And yeah, this IS supposed to be fun, right? I get so tired of them dat say 'it's my way or the highway,' when it comes to their scenarios and treatment of those who disagree with them ... everything becomes a battle, rather than a well-meaning exchange. Yawn!

I read on another board today that it seems the more one studies the battle, the more confused the student becomes, making them ask even more questions! Ahh, the historical method, 101 ... so get those kids confused, eh? Stimulate that grey matter!

I appreciate your congratulations. I've been working on these darn books for two years now, so it is nice to be recognised by one's peers. Writing/editing can be a mighty lonely business--and depressing from time to time! My greatest compliment came from a guy in my critique group who said, "you're presenting Custer as such an enigma!" It was then I knew I was on to something. Hehehe ...

Off to writing land ... hoka hey!

movingrobe

movingrobewoman
Lt. Colonel

USA

Posted - June 21 2005 :  1:06:51 PM  Show Profile  Send movingrobewoman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, come on, Warlord--draw those pictures. I've read Terry's orders a few times meself and I got the feeling that they were rather condescending ... but that's just my uneducated opinion (and cynical eye). But I still think it difficult to rendezvous with Terry and Gibbon when there is no set date. I mean, the Seventh was outfitted with supplies for fifteen days--so what is up with that?

Then of course, there is the oft interpreted phrase: "Don't get greedy, Custer. Save some Indians for us."

"No, I won't."

Eager beaver out to tear-up Terry's plan or just joshing? Custer did tell people when coming back to Ft. Lincoln from St. Paul that he would get out from under Terry's leadership (ingrate) ... somehow. Was that a promise kept on the march to LBH or just braggadoccio?

Ahh, the enigma of the Boy General! Hoka hey!

movingrobe

whistlingboy
Lieutenant

USA

Posted - June 21 2005 :  4:11:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Warlord: That military tactical study that Hunkpapa7 posted was quite interesting. Thanks. Your Indian fighters list are some well known soldiers and proven and yet why do you suppose they were not summoned to lead the 7th in this 'clean up' endeavor with their experience and all?

Custer came, saw but knew it was too far to go home.

Movingrobewoman: I think it is true, too, that the more we read on this subject, the more confusing it becomes. Warlord's affinity for 'facts' is a refreshing thought since so much has been written about the subject. But a cloud of obscurity, like fog, has slowly enveloped this total subject and picking out a fact is a feat. Due to a lack of facts, a feast of scenarios has become a data base of sorts to pick and choose from to develop new tangents of study.

The General is quite an enigma and that was funny when you said...you thought you were on to something. I think how each of us, through the course of a day, say things off the top of our head that we really were not serious about and then wonder where that came from. I am sure that Gen. Custer was no different and was, at times, taken seriously for something he said that was taken out of context. And, of course, one is beaten on hard by someone who is not fond of them. I therefore try to ignore passages and/or quotes some authors supply of what he said since the sincereness and intent cannot be passed on too. I'm sure he could BS with the best of them and none of that would denote how he really was and especially under duress. I look for little things of great worth in people...the little things they do or did without fanfare and away from the limelight and the glory. It is difficult with a person with a position since
his 'jury' members either love him or hate him. Die dulci fruere!

BJMarkland
Colonel

USA

Posted - June 21 2005 :  5:10:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit BJMarkland's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WB, to answer your question somewhat. Carrington had retired from the service (Dec. 15, 1870) and he was not the greatest of the Indian fighters. Granted, he was sent to build and garrison the Bozeman Trail forts with one arm tied behind his back as far as manpower and munitions were concerned, but still, he was a builder/bureaucrat/trainer who did a darned fine job building Ft. Phil Kearny, only to have Gen. Smith leave it for the Indians to burn down when the Army evacuated that location after the crushing defeats they had inflicted upon Red Cloud's Lakota/Cheyenne coalition at the Wagon Box and Hayfield fights.

Kit Carson was dead (1868 in Colorado).

Crook was a successful Indian fighter pre-Civil War when he had to contend with the California Indians. He really made his reputation after the CW when he led the forces that hounded the Paiutes into submission. He was then sent to Arizona to fight the Apache. He defeated them into a temporary peace and was jumped from Lt. Col. to Brig. General in 1873 well before his seniority date would have suggested. His Rosebud expedition was only the second time he had gone against the Lakota confederacy and that perhaps would have turned out different if Reynolds had followed his orders and retrieved the foodstuffs and killed the horses during the winter campaign in 1876.

Mackenzie was excellent as was Miles. However, they were in the Department of the Missouri while Terry commanded the Dept. of the Dakota and Crook commanded the Dept. of the Platte. At the time, there was no need to have them in the north.

Grierson and Hatch were in Texas and New Mexico with their regiments.

Take it with a grain of salt that Custer was in Terry's bad graces. After all, Terry was the one who pleaded to Sheridan and Sherman to have Custer reinstated to lead his regiment (actually Sturgis') on the expedition. As far as Sherman and Sheridan were concerned, I think Sheridan was sick and tired of Custer's antics. Somewhere I thought I had read that GAC had been expressly told to shut-up about the Post Sutler scandals unless he had facts. He did not, and did not. Thus he went on Grant's and, by proxy, Sherman's s*** list.

Also, unlike what has been stated in this thread recently, the article posted by Hunkpapa clearly states that Terry was, and had always been, in overall command of the northern portion of the expedition (Gibbons and Custer).

Best of wishes,

Billy

Edited by - BJMarkland on June 21 2005 5:13:07 PM

BJMarkland
Colonel

USA

Posted - June 22 2005 :  06:46:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit BJMarkland's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Carrington was the only commanding officer I have a report on who actually shot a warrior off of his horse who was attacking him. It was probably the only person he ever killed in the line of duty. Nevertheless, he was a keen and competent commander who was never given the credit he deserved. His only real mistake in command was not delegating Fetterman to janitorial duties! Fetterman and Custer would have made a great team! They were both grandstanders and both disregarded orders and got a bunch of troops killed with them!"

I somewhat agree with the above. Carrington did kill an Indian on Dec. 6, 1866 as part of the engagement in which Bingham and Bowers were killed. Whether it was Fetterman or Grummond who really was responsible for leading the troops of the 18th Infantry and the company of the 2d Cavalry into the ambush north of Ft. Phil Kearny, is a topic which is still discussed by historians and psuedo-researchers such as I. It does boil down to the fact that Fetterman was in command of the detachment that day and if he violated Carrington's orders so as to try to rescue Grummond and the cavalry, he carries the onus of that decision.

Oh, a clarification. To my knowledge, Carrington never even met Kit Carson. I am certain that Carson was never present on the Bozeman Trail. Carrington had the services of what many of his peers considered the greatest of the mountain men/scouts - Jim Bridger. Bridger defended Carrington's actions during that summer and fall on the Little Piney in a letter he dictated and sent to the Army and Navy Journal as follows.

Best of wishes,

Billy

The Army and Navy Journal
Vol. IV, 6/29/1867

[Trancriber’s Note: Italics are as found in the original.]

To the Editor of the Army and Navy Journal.

Sir: I propose to give, in as few words as possible, my views of Indian affairs in what is called the Powder River country. In June last a so-called treaty was made at Fort Laramie, D. T. I was at Fort Laramie at the time the preliminary council was held, and told the commissioners that the treaty would not amount to anything, but that all the Indians wanted was to receive presents and procure a supply of powder and lead, and then they would take the war path, and would plunder trains and murder emigrants going over the road. A preliminary council was held, at which most of the principle chiefs of the Sioux and Cheyenne tribes were present. They were dissatisfied with the provisions of the proposed treaty, and were unwilling to grant the right of way for an emigrant road from Fort Laramie, D. T., to Virginia City, Montana Territory, and left the fort soon after and returned to their homes. None of the Cheyenne, Arapahoe, or principle Sioux chiefs, who live in the country through which the road runs, signed the treaty. The chiefs who signed the treaty, and the Indians who received the principle portion of the presents, were the “Laramie loafers” and “road beggars” – a class of Indians who hang around Fort Laramie, and gain their living by begging and stealing.

On the 16th of June last Colonel Carrington’s command left for Fort Reno, D. T., the only post then established on the line of the proposed road. On the day after our arrival there, some of these Sioux stole about fifty head of mules and horses from the vicinity of the post.

On the 16th of July the principle part of the command arrived at the place selected as the site of Fort Philip Kearny, D. T. The next day these same friendly Indians, who were said to have made a treaty, ran off eighty head of Government mules, and in trying to recover them several men lost their lives. Three days later a small detachment of officers and men – twenty in all – on their way to join their regiment at Fort Philip Kearny, were attacked on Crazy Woman’s Fork of Powder River, between Forts Reno and Philip Kearny, and one (Lieutenant Daniels) was killed. From this time until emigration ceased passing over the road nearly every train was, more or less, harrassed [sic], and mail and other small parties were frequently attacked.

Now, as to the Philip Kearny massacre, it has been said that the Indians did not approach with hostile intent, but that the commanding officer of the post, mistaking their intentions, fired on them, and thus brought on a fight. This is preposterous. Up to that time the Indians had been hanging around the fort every day, stealing stock on every opportunity, attacking the trains going to the woods, and even stealing up at night and shooting men connected with passing trains, while they were sitting around their camp fires, within one hundred yards of the fort. But a few days before the massacre a train going to the woods was attacked, and in defending it, Lieutenant Bingham, a promising young officer of the Second Cavalry, and one Sergeant, lost their lives. This may be a sign of friendship, but I don’t think so. Every person that knows anything of affairs in this country knows very well that the massacre at Fort Philip Kearny was planned weeks before, and that the Sioux, Cheyennes and Arapahoes had been collecting together, in preparation for it, on Tongue River, until they numbered 2,200 lodges. The intention was to attack Fort Philip Kearny first, and if they were successful to then attack Fort C. F. Smith. At the present time the entire tribe of Northern Sioux are collecting on Powder River, below the mouth of Little Powder River, and their avowed intention is to make a vigorous and determined attack on each of the three posts, and on all trains that may come along the road. Friendly Indians report that they are being supplied with ammunition by half-breed traders connected with the Hudson’s Bay Company. There is no use sending out commissioners to treat with them, as it will be only acting over again last Summer’s scenes. They would be willing to enter into any temporary treaty to enable themselves to get fully supplied with powder with which to carry on the war. The only way to settle the question is to send out a sufficient number of troops to completely whip the hostile Sioux, Cheyennes and Arapahoes, and make them sue for peace. Unless this is done the road had better be abandoned and the country given up to the Indians.

I have been in this country among these Indians nearly forty-four years, and am familiar with their past history, and my experiences and knowledge of them is greater than can be gained by any commissioners during the sittings of any council that may be held. I know that these Indians will not respect any treaty until they have been whipped into it.

James Bridger,
May 4, 1867

BJMarkland
Colonel

USA

Posted - June 22 2005 :  09:14:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit BJMarkland's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BJMarkland

"Carrington was the only commanding officer I have a report on who actually shot a warrior off of his horse who was attacking him. It was probably the only person he ever killed in the line of duty. Nevertheless, he was a keen and competent commander who was never given the credit he deserved. His only real mistake in command was not delegating Fetterman to janitorial duties! Fetterman and Custer would have made a great team! They were both grandstanders and both disregarded orders and got a bunch of troops killed with them!"

I somewhat agree with the above. Carrington did kill an Indian on Dec. 6, 1866 as part of the engagement in which Bingham and Bowers were killed. Whether it was Fetterman or Grummond who really was responsible for leading the troops of the 18th Infantry and the company of the 2d Cavalry into the ambush north of Ft. Phil Kearny, is a topic which is still discussed by historians and psuedo-researchers such as I. It does boil down to the fact that Fetterman was in command of the detachment that day and, if he violated Carrington's orders so as to try to rescue Grummond and the cavalry, he carries the onus of that decision.

Oh, a clarification. To my knowledge, Carrington never even met Kit Carson. To my knowledge, Carson was never present on the Bozeman Trail in 1866 or 1867. However, Carrington had the services of what many of his contemporaries considered the greatest of the mountain men/scouts - Jim Bridger. Bridger defended Carrington's actions during that summer and fall on the Little Piney in a letter he dictated and sent to the Army and Navy Journal as follows.

Best of wishes,

Billy

The Army and Navy Journal
Vol. IV, 6/29/1867

[Trancriber’s Note: Italics are as found in the original.]

To the Editor of the Army and Navy Journal.

Sir: I propose to give, in as few words as possible, my views of Indian affairs in what is called the Powder River country. In June last a so-called treaty was made at Fort Laramie, D. T. I was at Fort Laramie at the time the preliminary council was held, and told the commissioners that the treaty would not amount to anything, but that all the Indians wanted was to receive presents and procure a supply of powder and lead, and then they would take the war path, and would plunder trains and murder emigrants going over the road. A preliminary council was held, at which most of the principle chiefs of the Sioux and Cheyenne tribes were present. They were dissatisfied with the provisions of the proposed treaty, and were unwilling to grant the right of way for an emigrant road from Fort Laramie, D. T., to Virginia City, Montana Territory, and left the fort soon after and returned to their homes. None of the Cheyenne, Arapahoe, or principle Sioux chiefs, who live in the country through which the road runs, signed the treaty. The chiefs who signed the treaty, and the Indians who received the principle portion of the presents, were the “Laramie loafers” and “road beggars” – a class of Indians who hang around Fort Laramie, and gain their living by begging and stealing.

On the 16th of June last Colonel Carrington’s command left for Fort Reno, D. T., the only post then established on the line of the proposed road. On the day after our arrival there, some of these Sioux stole about fifty head of mules and horses from the vicinity of the post.

On the 16th of July the principle part of the command arrived at the place selected as the site of Fort Philip Kearny, D. T. The next day these same friendly Indians, who were said to have made a treaty, ran off eighty head of Government mules, and in trying to recover them several men lost their lives. Three days later a small detachment of officers and men – twenty in all – on their way to join their regiment at Fort Philip Kearny, were attacked on Crazy Woman’s Fork of Powder River, between Forts Reno and Philip Kearny, and one (Lieutenant Daniels) was killed. From this time until emigration ceased passing over the road nearly every train was, more or less, harrassed [sic], and mail and other small parties were frequently attacked.

Now, as to the Philip Kearny massacre, it has been said that the Indians did not approach with hostile intent, but that the commanding officer of the post, mistaking their intentions, fired on them, and thus brought on a fight. This is preposterous. Up to that time the Indians had been hanging around the fort every day, stealing stock on every opportunity, attacking the trains going to the woods, and even stealing up at night and shooting men connected with passing trains, while they were sitting around their camp fires, within one hundred yards of the fort. But a few days before the massacre a train going to the woods was attacked, and in defending it, Lieutenant Bingham, a promising young officer of the Second Cavalry, and one Sergeant, lost their lives. This may be a sign of friendship, but I don’t think so. Every person that knows anything of affairs in this country knows very well that the massacre at Fort Philip Kearny was planned weeks before, and that the Sioux, Cheyennes and Arapahoes had been collecting together, in preparation for it, on Tongue River, until they numbered 2,200 lodges. The intention was to attack Fort Philip Kearny first, and if they were successful to then attack Fort C. F. Smith. At the present time the entire tribe of Northern Sioux are collecting on Powder River, below the mouth of Little Powder River, and their avowed intention is to make a vigorous and determined attack on each of the three posts, and on all trains that may come along the road. Friendly Indians report that they are being supplied with ammunition by half-breed traders connected with the Hudson’s Bay Company. There is no use sending out commissioners to treat with them, as it will be only acting over again last Summer’s scenes. They would be willing to enter into any temporary treaty to enable themselves to get fully supplied with powder with which to carry on the war. The only way to settle the question is to send out a sufficient number of troops to completely whip the hostile Sioux, Cheyennes and Arapahoes, and make them sue for peace. Unless this is done the road had better be abandoned and the country given up to the Indians.

I have been in this country among these Indians nearly forty-four years, and am familiar with their past history, and my experiences and knowledge of them is greater than can be gained by any commissioners during the sittings of any council that may be held. I know that these Indians will not respect any treaty until they have been whipped into it.

James Bridger,
May 4, 1867

whistlingboy
Lieutenant

USA

Posted - June 22 2005 :  8:09:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those were good posts, Warlord and BJ, because although I wasn't totally unaware of some of those renderings, I did like the way you both presented the information; it was convenient to see the varied facts on one page. You're certainly two of the best.

Still there must have been some lesser knowns that were good 'yes' men in the officer ranks, controllable and non-prima donnas, so to speak. They definitely wanted Custer at the helm and it would be fascinating to have heard what Terry might have told him 'unofficially,' after giving Custer his orders. 'Go after them, George.' Die dulci fruere!

movingrobewoman
Lt. Colonel

USA

Posted - June 22 2005 :  11:54:17 PM  Show Profile  Send movingrobewoman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Warlord

Whistlingboy:
Hunc tu caveto! Hoc tempore obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit!

Mundus vult decidi, ergo decipiatur!

Salutations!

All right, I'm already depressed that I ain't in Montana, but must you rub my miserable state in a little more by exchanging posts in Latin? Now of course, it is family legend that my great-great grandma was killed by Kit Carson in the wilds of New Mexico--but that is probably similar to those who believe that in an earlier life they were Cleopatra or Henry VIII--I mean, can't we be touched by or descended from ordinary folk?

I'm guessing it was good press to have Custer in charge of the regiment as they headed down the Rosebud. But it was bad press for him to lose ... however, when he did face the hostiles, he was only as good as the standard army tactics of the day.

Hoka hey! Two more days! Yip-yip-yip-yip-yip!

movingrobe

whistlingboy
Lieutenant

USA

Posted - June 24 2005 :  08:56:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MRW: If the government was so darned confident of finding this large contingency of Indians in one place, why do you suppose they didn't transfer William F. Cody from his scouting assignment with the 5th Cavalry to the 7th Cavalry since he was good friends with both Sheridan and Custer, among others, and, although younger, a proven Indian fighter and scout? If he was good as one reads, this would have seemed to be a perfect fit.

Heavyrunner
Captain

USA

Posted - June 24 2005 :  6:03:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re: Buffalo Bill Cody....

Great Indian fighter? I wouldn't say so. I would say he was one of the great showmen of history and one of the greatest self-promoters. He claimed to have killed a thousand buffalo. So what? That's like bragging about shooting a thousand Herfords as they stand in a field. Had he been with Custer he would have been just as dead as the rest of the column.

Bob Bostwick

whistlingboy
Lieutenant

USA

Posted - June 25 2005 :  01:22:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to see people agreeing with each other for a change. However, I do not think you can find where I said he was a 'great' Indian fighter. He was a proven Indian fighter and in high demand by the army in the early 1870s as a scout. He did receive the Medal of Honor, even though he was a civilian, for gallantry at Loup River, Nebraska, later rescinded and then again reinstated.

And although I am on the same page as you, Warlord, when thinking Grant and maybe Sheridan knew what they were doing in this debacle, I feel the 7th needed just that--a new head scout and Cody would have fit that bill. The Sioux Chief Scout Mitch Bouyer and General Custer were estranged to say the least and Custer's dislike of this scout is a well known footnote. Some have written that all along their famed bivouac, Bouyer met with members of Sioux warriors and even signaled them during the now famous firing 'down into the village' episode. Whether the rumored allegations are true or not, Cody would have done an honorable job with no 'spirit' ties to the Sioux.

H'runner: I didn't mention anything about killing buffalos. What's that relevant to? And what makes you think that everyone with Custer would have been killed? It is very logically possible that someone could have survived with Custer even though no one did.

whistlingboy
Lieutenant

USA

Posted - June 27 2005 :  10:32:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Warlord

You are probably right that the premise of hiring a new chief scout and that he would make the difference in this battle is tenuous at best but I think you touch on the point, that echoes in my mind, of many, if not most, of the points brought up about this battle. We cannot escape the fact that the disparities in the numbers of the two sides is so overwhelming that it is all encompassing.

Changing commanders would have been about as effective as changing the chief head scout. What would he have done different that would have been better, considering all things equal?

(a) Not split his commands? Then what would he have done? March his total command down the valley, instead of just Reno's contingency? The Indians, with their numbers would have swarmed at them, around them and behind them trapping them and sending a lot more than 210 odd men to their immediate deaths. That would have made the Fetterman Massacre look like a footnote.

(b) Wait and disobey his orders by giving the Indians a reason for escape? You certainly cannot believe, Sir, that having found the great village, getting word to Terry/Gibbons of their position and then, being found out, let the Indians get away---that he wouldn't have been court-martialed.

(c) If they knew of the army presence and didn't want to escape then they would have done the opposite--attack and Custer preferred being the aggressor not the 'trapped.'

(d) He could have marched his troops to the rear? That would be absurd.

(e) etc...

The point of attacking his professionalism and making it sound that he was neither qualified nor mature enough for this assignment without naming a replacement, that, in your mind, would have gotten the job done well, seems to me, to be rather harsh. Who gets the job done?

Substantiation is the whole problem in the study of this battle and certainly not limited to judgements on Reno or Bouyer. What exactly is well-substantiated about this incident? What do you say we start listing them so that the world knows exactly what is truly known about this 'stand' apart from all the varied opinions of its 'students.'

Why William F. Cody? Grant and Sheridan not considering this civilian for the expedition may be tantamount in its scope. Being a friend and IF this was an orchestrated setup for failure and possible harm to Custer and others, then Cody, being a friend of Custer, would have been in the way. Proving conspiracies is near impossible but hypothetically fascinating.

Being a civilian and a friend, Cody could have been instrumental in 'advising' Custer of holes in his plan as it evolved during the ride, such as the dangers of splitting up his forces. The Indian scouts just reported (and through interpreters} for the most part and probably didn't offer 'advice.' (Maybe the interpreter did, though)

Cody might have served as a liaison between officers although, I must admit, that is probably a 'stretch.'

If Bouyer was familiar with this area than puzzle pieces shouldn't have been missing. And if he was, an inability to communicate with his commander compromised his abilities. Adding dislike between Custer and him and Custer's skepticism of many of the reports by Indian scouts would only point to why the Chief Scout should have been someone like the talents of Cody or at least someone Custer knew and trusted unequivocally.

I'm not sure there are any solutions that could have changed the natural odds. Maybe if all forces in this expedition were present at once the Indians would have been more on the defensive side of this battle, but with their backs then against the wall, I doubt it. Maybe if the army had put battery after battery of gatling guns on strategic hills, in the trees, along the banks, in the coulees and ravines,etc. they may have had a chance. The Indians probably would have commandeered those and turned them on the troopers too, though. Who knows?

As for survivors, Heath and Finkle stories are 'stretches' but who knows. Curly's story is interesting in many facets and would depend on your point of view. He had a lot to explain.

Personally, I don't think surviving situations like at LBH puts the 'survivor' in good stead with the rest of the world because it opens up too many 'why' questions. Underlying is the fact that maybe 'you didn't do your job' or you were 'traitor' leaving your teammates behind or 'why were you so special or different' or 'how were you able to escape' or etc. Reno and others came under great mental strain the rest of their lives.

whistlingboy
Lieutenant

USA

Posted - June 28 2005 :  12:11:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Warlord:

To the contrary, I do think it logically possible that someone might have survived the battle that day but let's say I don't think it is a high probability. Finkel's story which got written became less credible after his refusal to meet with Sgt. Windolph who wanted to talk with him about the battle. Heath was reticent about discussing the event and consequently he offered no first hand accounts. And although not everyone was accounted for, the name of William Heath was not one of them, correct? Is he not listed at LBH? And is buried in Pennsylvania too? Can it be the same Heath? And although he was a farrier, maybe he did escape between horses or something. But why did he not make his way to Reno/Benteen or Terry/Gibbon? Those are some of the questions everyone has asked. I'm not familiar with the book you read on Heath, most likely, but does it claim he deserted prior to the main thrust of the battle? How does it say he escaped the fury that day?

I appreciate the advice....I don't work merely from emotion, however. My presentation would be entertaining, I hope, though, and in entertainment emotion is everything. But I'll try to make sure my head is on right and try to put forth an objective point of view when the time comes. In the meantime, I will count on you to keep me between the lines when I'm wavering.

Do you really think I have reached a conclusion on something? Surely, I tell you, I haven't. The burden of proof would surely be incumbent upon my shoulders. But I do have my unsubstantiated wishful theories and that is the driving force.
I certainly agree with you about maintaining an open mind

BJMarkland
Colonel

USA

Posted - June 29 2005 :  01:32:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit BJMarkland's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Paul, you wrote today at 01:05 a.m. the following:

"Let cold facts and logic prevail when studying history. In my humble opinion,there have been far too many people trying to prove pre-concieved ideas, talking about things they do not have the faintest idea of, or just trying to "entertain" on this subject."

You preceded it with the comment, "We have people who have posted on this board who denied the indians tortured anyone that night after Custer's defeat despite even Reno testifying it happened! Of course, the indians lied their heads of about it!"

If you are talking about my post of 6/19, I am merely asking you for your source on approximately 40 troops being tortured to death by the Indians as well as your assertation that one to two thousand Indians were killed.

"Posted - June 19 2005 : 02:57:55 AM Show Profile Visit BJMarkland's Homepage Reply with Quote
Paul, please supply some documentation for the below quote of yours:

"B. The Indians lied in order to keep secret their real losses. Afterwards, they were scared they would be hanged for torturing to death approx. 40 soldiers! Also killing the wounded.
C. Indian losses are put at 30 officially. Army losses somewhere around 300? Actual losses are probably on the order of one to two thousand for the indians. Because of the lying, no one will ever know."

Specifically, the torturing of 40 U.S. troops as well as the one to two thousand Indian deaths."

Not arguing, as I believe some troops were tortured (including the scout, Isaiah Dorman) but the equivalent of an entire troop? But, again, give the source for your opinion, as that is all it is, so that we can discuss it.

Insofar as killing wounded, yeah, it happened on both sides. The Indian Wars was pretty much a war to the finish. Applying 20th century rules of war between signatories of the Genevea Covention to that war is comparing SEALS to Boy Scouts.

Later,

Billy

BJMarkland
Colonel

USA

Posted - June 30 2005 :  02:04:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit BJMarkland's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Paul, simply amazing.

You post on the "Custer's Command Decisions" thread this post:

"Posted - June 19 2005 : 10:38:45 PM Show Profile Reply with Quote
Joe:
Thank you for your kind remarks.

I think that in the interests of higher levels of discussion and better research that the clinical level should be emphasized and the obvious personal attacks or persons interested in denigration or pure argumentation should be mostly ignored. The people who ask sincere questions or who are interested in sincere discussion should be encouraged."

So far, well and good. Yet, how do you answer my last interrogatory? With belittling comments, designed to attack the questioner rather than the question. So, it is obvious that you can talk the talk but can't walk the walk.

Now as far as your response on the torture. Yes, heads were found in the village. Herendeen stated to the NY Herald that four heads were found in the village but no bodies. Hardorff in the book, Custer Battle Casualties has quotes from participants that the head of John McGinnis of Co. G was recognized in the village. He had been killed with Reno's battalion. Also, wasn't at least one of Reno's men carried into the village by an out-of-control horse? Thos. Blake identifies him as Pvt. John Sullivan of Co. A. Grinnell in The Fighting Cheyennes states that Bloody Knife's head was taken after the Reno retreat. However, Goldin states that BK's head was still attached. Another source states that only BK's scalp was found on a stick next to a dead Lakota warrior. I am inclined to believe the last version as I can see how that could be corrupted to reflect that BK's head ended up on a pole in the village. Herendeen stated to the NY Herald that four heads were found in the village but no bodies.

As I said earlier, I do believe there was torture, but it was mainly confined to the wounded on the field and few, if any, in the village.

You are going with Reno to support your opinion? Remember, Reno couldn't hear volleys of rifle fire from downstream, so how can he hear screaming? I will go back into Graham's book to see what Benteen says as I seem to remember that Benteen had stated that he was with Reno most of the night (this was when defending him from the accusation by the packers that he was drunk that night.)

Strangely enough, I do agree with a previous post you had made that repeating rifles would have been of use. Once the Indians had overcome the long-range advantage of the Springfield carbine by infiltration, only pure firepower would have stopped them. I disagree about the Gatling guns being of much use. By the way, did you find out what model they were so we can fix whether they had the modification to allow traversing? I do think that one or two mountain howitzers would have saved Custer though.

You know, something came up and I had to leave this post before sending it. When I got back, I see your latest example of how, "...higher levels of discussion and better research that the clinical level should be emphasized and the obvious personal attacks or persons interested in denigration or pure argumentation should be mostly ignored..." is being practiced.

Walking the walk is so very difficult for you isn't it?

By the way, you gave a pretty snappy synapsis of why people post to message boards (pardon the deletion of extraneous material):

"One of the things I have discovered on this messageboard is that many people who are posting here, have come to enhance their own personal interests rather than just discuss the old battle that Custer so screwed up as to get himself and a bunch of other people killed."

"We have had the apparently eccentric and strange who volunteers to pick up cow pies at the park in order to get appointed as a officer of an association in order to believe he is important, and then huckster books, painting etc.."

Since you are, again, obviously attacking Bhist, what grounds do you have for your venom? Could it be Sacha's input?

"Then we have the book writer! They believe they can pick up material for the "Great American Novel"! And in actuality they do. The novelists are the best of the breed. They tell you these are false stories. The ones who want to write so-called historical reporting books are the most dangerous. Some publishing houses have been known to publish damn near anything about this battle. Other outfits print stuff which is patently false. The emphasis is on sales!"

In this case, you are obviously talking about MRW, Trish, Sacha, or Leyton McLean who is writing the great expose of the "Custer Fanaticism".

"Then we have the clown who uses the forum as a scene to practice his argumentation and get publicity for a website and relatively unknown editorial columnn or as a talk show host of ridiculously minor proportions."

Strange, the only people who would have gone to his website would have been the ones to view his profile. Despite his desire to see how many angels could dance on the head of a pin, DC never did self-promotion.

"A lesser occuring but, more serious type is the person who wants to be a well known researcher. He puts up web pages of his vast research, posts on the history channel and other discussion forums of lesser importance. He continually offers to research information for everyone. I have to admit much of this material is first rate, if you discount newspapers and other unreliable sources. He often wants everyone to furnish him with references, not unlike someone else who used to post here. I am not into the research of furnishing data merely to have someone dismiss it as of no importance."

So I have contributed data for interested parties to view. Paul, in all honesty, what have you contributed? Verbose opinions backed by the ones you profess to dislike most, vanity authors. In an adult conversation, if you express an opinion, you will find that most people, not only I, ask what you base the opinion upon. And since I am obviously making loads of money by contributing my time and efforts to a freely accessable database, I again ask, what have you done to contribute?

Oh, and by the way, this hobby has only cost money, not made me any. Trish is the one writing the book, not I.

Paul or notsocoldnow, whatever the non de jour is, bug off. You have only created ill-feelings during your stay here.

By the way, I appreciate your stalking me over on www.historychannel.com as it appears that you dare not show your true face, if even registered, on a closely monitored board.

But, before we depart, one question. Your original stated intention here was to rid the board of DC and Larsen as they "ran" posters off. Since they no longer post here, what is your objective. None of the posters who were run off have reappeared. Oh, please don't say that I am one of the "four" you claim "ran" the board. If you do, you only prove that your research skills are on a par with your grammatical skills.

*smooch*

Billy

Edited by - BJMarkland on June 30 2005 02:07:19 AM
Page: of 47 Previous Topic: Deductive reasoning ~ The Village Topic Next Topic: What happened to decorum?  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Custom Search

Against All Odds Message Board © 1998-2010 Rich Federici/Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
This page was raised in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03