Against All Odds Message Board
Against All Odds Message Board
5/4/2024 5:43:37 AM
Home | Old Board Archives | Events | Polls
Photo Album | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages | Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Chat
Bookmarks | Active Topics
Invite A Friend To Face The Odds!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Battle of the Little Bighorn - 1876
 Custer's Last Stand
 Battlefield Surround, Custer's Fight Opens
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page

Author Previous Topic: Why Did Wallace Lie? Topic Next Topic: Wiggs PMs
Page: of 3

Benteen
Lt. Colonel

Posted - November 13 2009 :  10:08:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In looking back over the threads, I don't believe this one has been individually addressed. Can it be for certain known when, and perhaps even where, Custer's fight began? This in relation to other known battle events. Most of this of course will be left to "interpretation" of events through the eyes and ears of the participants themselves, and who may have been the most reliable of sources. The when and where should aid in other questions under present consideration, choose wisely.

Benteen

Heavyrunner
Captain

USA

Posted - November 13 2009 :  12:31:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Miller wrote, if I recall correctly, that the first shots were fired on Custer as he hit the river at MTC. Also, if I recall correctly, he wrote that Custer was likely one of the first hit by defending fire, thus beginning the calamity that rolled the 7th back up the hill.

I've always felt that this made sense. In viewing the field, there appears to have been a complete breakdown in the command, with individuals and small groups scattered about--at least from looking at the markers.

This has been discussed here, but it's been a long time.

(Hey, Wiggs... I got your note..thanks for sending it)

Bob Bostwick
Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - November 13 2009 :  5:18:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, you have no idea how wonderful it is to hear from you again! I hope that you stay a while as your posts have always been informative and thought provoking.

Three cheers for Heavy runner!!!

Benteen
Lt. Colonel

Posted - November 13 2009 :  6:33:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome back Heavyrunner. Your input is more than welcome here. Thanks for your post.

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - November 13 2009 :  9:26:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benteen

In looking back over the threads, I don't believe this one has been individually addressed. Can it be for certain known when, and perhaps even where, Custer's fight began? This in relation to other known battle events. Most of this of course will be left to "interpretation" of events through the eyes and ears of the participants themselves, and who may have been the most reliable of sources. The when and where should aid in other questions under present consideration, choose wisely.

Benteen

quote:
I just don't know. Somehow I get an itch that I just can't scratch when it comes to this question. Heavyrunner's assertion makes sense as it explains the chaos that would have immediately ensued after Custer was struck at MTF. Now comes the unreachable itch. I believe that Custer with troops "E" and "F" traveled north, behind the present Last Stand Monument, down Cemetery Ridge to the area of the present day cemetery. I believed they waited 20 minutes or so for Benteen and Reno to arrive. While waiting, they received fire from warriors which started to take a toll. The units then moved towards Last Stand Hill were they witnessed the tragedy at Calhoun Hill. The end occurred approximately twenty minutes latter.

Having said all this, tomorrow morning I'm going to pull out all my resources to back my perspective before the terrible onslaught of AZ.

Benteen
Lt. Colonel

Posted - November 13 2009 :  9:47:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is one of those topics that is left open to alot of interpretation. There are some knowns, but even then, those knowns (surrounds) themselves are questionable. There was only ONE sighting by ONE of Reno's men, and that would have been after the MTF episode. If one can get that sighting down; time & place, and compare it - time & place, to when DeRudio's sighting occurred; the MTF episode may then be made more clear.

Edited by - Benteen on November 13 2009 9:48:00 PM

Benteen
Lt. Colonel

Posted - November 14 2009 :  07:08:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heavyrunner,

quote:
Miller wrote, if I recall correctly, that the first shots were fired on Custer as he hit the river at MTC. Also, if I recall correctly, he wrote that Custer was likely one of the first hit by defending fire, thus beginning the calamity that rolled the 7th back up the hill.

I've always felt that this made sense. In viewing the field, there appears to have been a complete breakdown in the command, with individuals and small groups scattered about--at least from looking at the markers.

Many still do feel that this may have happened; that Custer was either wounded or even killed at the attempted crossing. And it does deserve some merit for discussion.

First, was he killed? From appearances, it does not look that way, because of statements where he obviously makes decisions and talks to Bouyer, this supposedly at or near the Finley marker. But this would only apply if the ford in question was MTF. If it was another ford on downstream, then it would or could be, I think another story altogether.

2nd, was he wounded? Curley never mentions this, and one should think that had Custer been wounded or for that matter killed, Curley surely would have stated so. But even that is not a given, especially if he was told never to tell, and whose to say that didn't happen either.

3rd, There is certainly compelling evidence to suggest that something serious happened while attempting to cross the river. While most Indians state that Custer never got across the river, others state that he never came close to it at all. So again the 'best evidence' appears once again to be Curley. And his eyewitness to the event of which you speak is in and of itself a telling episode indeed. Because by all accounts that's where the advance stopped. That's where they turned around. That's where they retreated from. And whether one chooses to beleive it or not, is the reason for C and E troops demise so early in the conflict. Again a brief description of which Curley did provide us with, when he stated that a portion of the command was thrown forward right before the attempted crossing.

Many today refuse to believe this could have happened. Yet something must have happened. Curley witnessed something that stopped that battalion dead in its tracks. But I'm not sure what it was.

Benteen

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - November 14 2009 :  11:04:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I'm not mistaken, one theory is that Lt. Smith may have been the soldier dressed in buckskin who fell at the crossing. His body was found on Custer's Hill. The Indians say that after the soldier fell into the water, he was retrieved by others and carried up the hill.
I'm trying to recall the book that I got this passage from but I can't at the moment.

Benteen
Lt. Colonel

Posted - November 14 2009 :  11:10:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe,

Many try to attribute this episode to Custer, and I believe in one book the Indians did. But Custer a short time earlier had taken off this jacket and tied it to his saddle. Again a reliable sighting, so unless he untied it and put it back on, which I think unlikely, because of the heat, I think it may have been someone else also. But whom-ever it was it seemed to stop the whole progress, which does seem odd, especially if it wasn't Custer.

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - November 14 2009 :  6:20:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Benteen, you are right! I had forgotten that Custer removed his jacket before the battle.

Benteen
Lt. Colonel

Posted - November 15 2009 :  12:24:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The other thing to consider here is where Custer's positions were (whether together or separated -Keogh's, Yates etc...), when Reno's men were in the timber before they retreated.

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - November 16 2009 :  07:57:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is possible that the confrontation began in MTC before reaching MTF. That would also consistent with the accounts. It would be consistent with theories of Custer attempting to cross MTF and with moving north. I believe Wiebert expressed the theory the confrontation began closer to the junction of MTC and Cedar coulee than the river.

“ An officer's first duty is to his horses.”

SEMPER FI

Benteen
Lt. Colonel

Posted - November 16 2009 :  5:47:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And where would you place Custer in relation to this theory?

Edited by - Benteen on November 16 2009 5:47:42 PM

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - November 17 2009 :  06:33:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wiebert places the first engagements near Blummer. I don't have an opinion one way or the other after MTC.

SEMPER FI

Benteen
Lt. Colonel

Posted - November 17 2009 :  07:58:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I don't have an opinion one way or the other after MTC.

And why is that? Why should Weibert's be any more or any less convincing to you? As opinionated as you are upon everything else, it is most difficult to believe that you "don't have an opinion one way or another after MTC". So this should be "Safe" territory to discuss without the constant upbraiding you give to someone whose "opinion" on the subject past MTC differs from yours? You either painted yourself into a box on this one, unintenionally, or perhaps you would like to recant and rethink your answer and indeed state an opinion, "where was Custer"?

Heavyrunner
Captain

USA

Posted - November 17 2009 :  4:55:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geez...thanks for the warm and kind words, lads.

I've been to the battlefield three times and would've walked it had they not had the paths closed (rattlesnakes, you know). Although I think I've read every book about this, beginning in junior high, Miller still sticks with me the most because his work was the first for me.

I tend to believe that Custer was hit first because he would so likely have been at the head of the column, catching the first volley from defenders. I also suspect that his chest wound, probably mortal, began a collapse in the chain of command. The head wound, I believe, was either self-inflicted or a coup de gras.

So, back to my first viewing of the battlefield: I'm no military expert, but I think the style of battle then would have called for some coherence in the skirmish lines, etc. The field, however, looks like bodies were scattered like confetti, with a few markers together at Calhoun Hill and the greater number at Last Stand Hill--sans discovery of those missing 36, or so, in Deep Ravine.

I trust the knowledge and, for the most part, the judgement of those who post here--great expertise and plenty of research. I also trust my perceptions. And what I perceived while looking at the place was a scattered, every-man-for-himself fiasco as the 7th was rolled back up that hill. I believe strongly that, had Benteen come to Custer's aid, his only accomplishment would have been to add another 120 names on the monument.

Bob Bostwick

Benteen
Lt. Colonel

Posted - November 17 2009 :  7:12:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, whether or not Benteen’s assistance would have aided Custer’s battalion may never be fully known. Benteen was not exactly forthcoming in his statements and testimony about his move to the “left”; nor the exactness of the orders with which he ventured forth. One is lead to believe that at one point the was sent to “look up some Indians”, another to go to a “ridge line” and yet another to go to a “valley”, and yet another that he was to “pitch in” once he arrived at his destination. Yet another he tells that all of this was associated with sequences as he understood it.

When it comes to the way the story is told today, it certainly is understandable why you would come to the conclusions you have. But, I don’t think we know the whole story, certainly not the truth of Benteen’s mission, nor Custer’s intentions on sending him where and when he did.

Our perceptions today are colored by what those who participated had to say after the fact. And when one looks deeper into what existed prior to the battle, one becomes more aware that those same old after the fact statements still cover up what was known to have be true.

Your perceptions, judgments and knowledge are just as valuable as any others, in what we don’t know. And there is enough of that to go around for everyone. And I personally do not judge a person on whether they had military service, or not. In this battle, I feel it irrelevant. If a person can draw off of their experience, whether military or not, a fact that applied in 1876 and prove it, that’s okay by me, it serves all the better to find the truth.

As for your assertion that it was Custer, I certainly don’t pretend to know. I suppose we all have feelings about it one way or another, and certain evidence that would point one way or another. Further research would be helpful in this area. I have a few thoughts on it, and do have a few old research notes on it somewhere. Let me see if I can find them and get back to you on this.

Till then stay the course and full steam ahead,

Benteen

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - November 17 2009 :  7:16:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benteen

quote:
I don't have an opinion one way or the other after MTC.

And why is that? Why should Weibert's be any more or any less convincing to you? As opinionated as you are upon everything else, it is most difficult to believe that you "don't have an opinion one way or another after MTC". So this should be "Safe" territory to discuss without the constant upbraiding you give to someone whose "opinion" on the subject past MTC differs from yours? You either painted yourself into a box on this one, unintenionally, or perhaps you would like to recant and rethink your answer and indeed state an opinion, "where was Custer"?

It is has always been my postion that past MTC it is based more on theories than evidence and accounts. I think the opinions of those there after the battle are as good as any.

I never stated the Wiebert carries any more weight than anyone else. He did find and picked up over 1,000 cartridges and cases and he uses that to form an opinion.

There are lots of posts that I have made regarding the artifacts found and what can be determined or not. For me I would have to do a lot more study before coming up with something different than the soldiers that evaluated the field in June of 1876.

AZ Ranger

SEMPER FI

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - November 17 2009 :  7:24:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Heavyrunner

I've been to the battlefield three times and would've walked it had they not had the paths closed (rattlesnakes, you know). Although I think I've read every book about this, beginning in junior high, Miller still sticks with me the most because his work was the first for me.

I tend to believe that Custer was hit first because he would so likely have been at the head of the column, catching the first volley from defenders. I also suspect that his chest wound, probably mortal, began a collapse in the chain of command. The head wound, I believe, was either self-inflicted or a coup de gras.

So, back to my first viewing of the battlefield: I'm no military expert, but I think the style of battle then would have called for some coherence in the skirmish lines, etc. The field, however, looks like bodies were scattered like confetti, with a few markers together at Calhoun Hill and the greater number at Last Stand Hill--sans discovery of those missing 36, or so, in Deep Ravine.

I trust the knowledge and, for the most part, the judgement of those who post here--great expertise and plenty of research. I also trust my perceptions. And what I perceived while looking at the place was a scattered, every-man-for-himself fiasco as the 7th was rolled back up that hill. I believe strongly that, had Benteen come to Custer's aid, his only accomplishment would have been to add another 120 names on the monument.

Bob great post and at least for now I feel your perception is what I believe also. I am sure there was some resistence by the troops but I do not see the 5 companies acting in mutual supprt of each other. I agree that Benteen could not have made it to Custer also.

AZ Ranger

SEMPER FI

Benteen
Lt. Colonel

Posted - November 17 2009 :  7:30:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ranger, first post, Posted - Today : 7:16:43 PM

Fair enough.

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - November 18 2009 :  9:00:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I trust the knowledge and, for the most part, the judgment of those who post here--great expertise and plenty of research. I also trust my perceptions. And what I perceived while looking at the place was a scattered, every-man-for-himself fiasco as the 7th was rolled back up that hill. I believe strongly that, had Benteen come to Custer's aid, his only accomplishment would have been to add another 120 names on the monument.

That's what I'm talking about. Expertise, battlefield experience , and the graciousness to compliment others. Now you see why you were so sorely missed?!

Guess what? your last statement is beyond a doubt, in my worthless opinion, absolutely correct. Had Benteen responded he would have probably met the same faith. We will never know. However, as i have said before, soldiers, medical participants, police officers and, a great many other professionals are held to a higher standard then we the lowly public. If that assumption is true, then I feel that Benteen and Reno must, at the least, made a timely attempt to save their comrades.

I don't say this because I am a self professed potentate of morality, it's just what I feel in my heart. Keep posting Bob, we love ya.

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - November 19 2009 :  08:56:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel that Benteen and Reno must, at the least, made a timely attempt to save their comrades.

Does that include the ones all ready with them?

SEMPER FI

Heavyrunner
Captain

USA

Posted - November 19 2009 :  3:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thinking hard about it, there must have been multiple reasons for the scattered remains of the 7th, the proposed wounding of Custer perhaps being the first.

Maybe we should start a thread on whether a different battle plan, one that did not divide the forces, could have resulted in a different outcome. Or what might have happened had Benteen been available.

I think Custer, et. al, were on their way to being whupped pretty good,regardless, that coming from a healthy respect for Indian numbers,fighting skills, riding skills, armament and their incredibly pissed off attitude. However, there might have been considerably more survivors via retreat.

Bob Bostwick

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - November 19 2009 :  8:45:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent idea! There must have been multiple reasons for the "scatterration" of the troops. Bob, why don't you start a thread addressing this issue, after all it was your idea. Were there any plans at all? According to Benteen and Reno, Custer had no plans know to them. I bet this thread would be an eye-opener!!!

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - November 20 2009 :  08:38:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Custer knew he was at odds with the mission as defined in Terry's orders. He needed to send Benteen on a recon in force to comply with the spirit of the order in preventing fleeing Indians.
Reno was sent as an advance with orders to charge. An advance guard function is to bring them to battle allowing the main body to take advantage. The plan ends there because Custer needed more information.

Battles are dynamic and Custer's choice of staying with the main body and not directing the others based upon what developed after moving across MTC is the part of the "plan" that I think is missing.

Whole different ball game if Custer sent the main body ahead and remained with the HQ where he could watch it develop. He would be there when Reno retrogrades, he would be there when Benteen arrives and he would be there when the pack train arrives.

AZ Ranger

SEMPER FI

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - November 20 2009 :  08:49:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thinking hard about it, there must have been multiple reasons for the scattered remains of the 7th, the proposed wounding of Custer perhaps being the first.

Maybe we should start a thread on whether a different battle plan, one that did not divide the forces, could have resulted in a different outcome. Or what might have happened had Benteen been available.

I think Custer, et. al, were on their way to being whupped pretty good,regardless, that coming from a healthy respect for Indian numbers,fighting skills, riding skills, armament and their incredibly pissed off attitude. However, there might have been considerably more survivors via retreat.

Bob I have only visited the battlefield 4 times. The last time with my son only who is interested in the battle. We spent a whole day from opening to closing and then went up Reno Creek road the next day.

For a long time DC has talked about the spurious markers and that one would need to remove them in order to form an opinion. He is correct I believe. The problem is which ones are the spurious ones. No matter where you look a good proportion may be the spurious ones.

AZ Ranger

SEMPER FI
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Why Did Wallace Lie? Topic Next Topic: Wiggs PMs  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Custom Search

Against All Odds Message Board © 1998-2010 Rich Federici/Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
This page was raised in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03