Against All Odds Message Board
Against All Odds Message Board
5/4/2024 9:53:17 AM
Home | Old Board Archives | Events | Polls
Photo Album | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages | Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Chat
Bookmarks | Active Topics
Invite A Friend To Face The Odds!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Battle of the Little Bighorn - 1876
 Custer's Last Stand
 Responsibility for Custer's defeat.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: The 7ths marksmanship Topic Next Topic: Mis-Information or lies?
Page: of 7

Sgtmajor109th
Captain

USA

Posted - August 04 2008 :  2:56:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that Mike brings out a valid point about Benteen. Was it
Custer's intention for Benteen if he found anything to attack.On
page 286, of the COI, Sgt Edward Davern was questioned by the
court.

A. I heard Adjutant Cook give him an order.

Q. Tell what that order was, and where were when it was given.

A. The order was- "Girard comes back and reports the Indian village
three miles ahead and moving. The General directs you take your
three companies and drive everything before you". Those I believe
were the exact words.

Q. Was anything else said?

A. yes sir, "Colonel Benteen will be on your left and will have the
same instructions".

Sgt Davern was orderly to Major Reno that day.

However let me point out here, and I am sure we are all well aware
with what instructions Benteen had, Cook may have said that Benteen
had the same instructions, but does not say Colonel Beteen will
support you on the left.

Wallace on page 20, had a different version of the order given to
Reno, which was added "we will support you"

then aked if he was positive of the words?

A. The term "we" I am not positive of.

So if Reno was to have support, was it to come from Custer or Benteen,
or did Custer as Mike, said make a mistake in what he saw. Or was Sgt
Davern mistaken in what he heard. Was Benteen mentioned at all.

Sgtmajor
Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - August 04 2008 :  3:15:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Like Wiggs and others, Gray mistakes what Benteen actually said, which was he now (at the RCOI) believed Custer was dead at that moment under discussion on the 25th of June, 1876. He didn't so think on June 25th, 1876. It's pretty clear.

Gray was dying, so that's his accepted excuse.

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
darkcloud@darkendeavors.com
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com

Edited by - Dark Cloud on August 04 2008 3:18:57 PM

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - August 04 2008 :  10:39:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lets try this one more time just for the fun of it. Benteen, under oath, testifies that he believe all of Custer's man to be alive thus, he plants a guidon in the hopes that survivors would see it. 1 1/2 hours before that testimony, still under oath, he testified that he believed the command was dead!

This inexplicable change of thought/belief occurred within an hour and 1/2, not 24 hours, not one month, not a year but, 1 hour and thirty minutes.

Instead of interjecting suppositions of what we think Benteen meant, isn't it more realistic to simply read what he said? The debate should be focused on why he said what he did. That he said what he said is historical fact.

mcaryf
Private

United Kingdom

Posted - August 05 2008 :  01:29:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Joe

Even if we are doing this for the fun of it we have to look at the words Benteen actually used. Here is the text from the RCOI referring to the planting of the guidon:

Q. What was the purpose of placing the guidon on that high point?

A. To present on object to attract the attention of Gen. Custer's command if it was in sight.

C. Then in your opinion his command was then alive?

A. I thought so.

For your argument to be valid Benteen's answer would have to be "I think so". As the answer is "I thought so" he is clearly saying that he thought so then i.e. on the 25th June.

Regards

Mike

Brent
Lt. Colonel

USA

Posted - August 05 2008 :  06:37:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Benteen was a sly one, if nothing else---.

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - August 05 2008 :  09:51:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, telling the truth clearly is virtual admission of devious intent.

Ah, yes. Fake quotations at need. Wiggs does that a lot, mcaryf. Eventually, you'll note he doesn't understand what he's actually posted sometimes.

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
darkcloud@darkendeavors.com
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com

Brent
Lt. Colonel

USA

Posted - August 05 2008 :  10:53:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah--the truth. Like as in after going "fully 10 miles" he decided to return to the trail the command was following. Appears it was more like 3 and 3/4 miles. But heck--those distances are so close it's easy to make a mistake----.
And all in spite of "orders" that would have taken him to "Ft Benton"
Thank goodness he alone knew those orders were pure foolishness and quickly realized the REAL mission was accomplished and immediately reported so to Custer.
And hurried back.

Sgtmajor109th
Captain

USA

Posted - August 05 2008 :  11:12:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dc, some times you crack me up. Anyway just A little on the subject of
Benteen. On WC notes on the Custer fight,"Custer and Company" page 95,
in the footnotes he writes. This was something about "D" company. "Ben-
teen in his narrative of the battle claims he never knew where "D" Company
was and had to inquire of Reno the whereabouts of Capt Weir. The Custer
Myth p,181. He then changed his story stating, "About this time I saw
one of my troops of my battalion proceeding to the front mounted. It
was Capt Weir, whio sallied out in the direction in a fit of bravo, I
think without orders." Charles Kuhlman, "Legend Into History" pg,99.

One guess is as good as another as to what Benteen really saw, heard or
did during the campaign

Sgtmajor

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - August 05 2008 :  11:19:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

It is a pleasure to discuss issues with you. Despite our obvious disagreement, you've maintained an "even helm" with logical, reasonable and,convincing counter points. When one reads Benteen's responses in a total package, it is obvious that he has an agenda. An essential part of that agenda is to discredit Custer, for whatever reason. One of many red flags is his endorsement of Reno, a man he privately despised and ridiculed.

However, I respect your conclusions and have learned from you. I hope that we may engage in further, amicable disputes in the future.

mcaryf
Private

United Kingdom

Posted - August 05 2008 :  11:28:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sgtmajor109th

I think a more normal reading of that sentance in Benteen's narrative would not assume that Benteen was still talking to Reno when he was asking after Co D. I read it to say that he had finished talking to Reno and his next significant activity was to try to find out what had happened to D.

My own assessment for events is that Reno had already gone off to Hodgson's body when Weir came looking for him to ask permission to go towards the sound of Custer's fire. It seems reasonable to assume that it was because he could not find Reno that Weir decided to go alone on a recce. At this time my best guess is that Benteen would have been discussing Reno's odd behaviour with French but I have no actual evidence for this apart from the fact that clearly Benteen and French must at some stage have agreed that they would disregard Reno as this is what they subsequently did.

Hi Joe

I always enjoy a robust debate but obviously it is not always possible to agree as the evidence at LBH is seldom decisive. my judgement is that Benteen did not go out of his way to reveal the whole truth of events at the RCOI but I think his main motivation was most probably the reputation of the regiment rather than self-interest.

Regards

Mike

Edited by - mcaryf on August 05 2008 11:37:52 AM

Sgtmajor109th
Captain

USA

Posted - August 05 2008 :  3:08:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe, I for one do not like to be critical of anyone, nor do I want
to criticize anyones opinion. I do my best to look at everyone's
point of view. And there will be times when we will disagree. But
is not the reason for this forum, I respect everyone's opinion and
views, and I would hope they would respect mine. We are looking
for a piece of a very complicate puzzle, if we all try to respect each
others opinion and views, we may come up with the missing piece.

Mike.

As for Company "D". WC was interviewing John Fox of Co "D" and from
what I gather from the interview. Things were not going well between
Reno and Weir. If you have the book i had mention it is on pg 94-95.
In the footnote WC as mentions this.

"There are many accounts of what took place on Reno Hill between Weir
and Reno before his company moved. These accounts range anywhere from
no confrontation at all, to angry retorts and hot exchanges of un-
complimentary language in which threats were made by both parties."
He gives references, Bruce R. Liddie,s article Three Hits and a Miss,
pg,46-57. Fred Dustin, The Custer Fight, pg, 21-22.

Fox claims that Moylan and Benteen stood by and heard what Weir had
said. It seems as if either of them approved of Weir moving out with
company "D" to look for Custer.

Sgtmajor

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - August 05 2008 :  9:08:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sgt Major,

You have never been negative in any of your posts. You have been a joy to exchange information with. You, Brent, Mike,Frankboddn, and other contributors are what this forum is about; the healthy and mature exchange of information without resorting to personal innuendos that accomplish nothing. I have nothing but the utmost respect for all of you.

The ability to disagree with other individuals yet, respect their different point of views creates posts of great interest, spontaneity, and worth. you, gentleman, have accomplished this feat with aplomb. Thank you!

mcaryf
Private

United Kingdom

Posted - August 06 2008 :  01:21:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sgtmajor109th

I think the evidence from Edgerly's accounts is that Weir went twice to seek Reno's permission to go towards the sound of the guns and it was on the first occasion that the reported altercation took place.

According to Edgerly Weir came back after his first visit and asked him whether he Edgerly would go with just Co D if Weir could get permission (I presume Reno had previously said to Weir that the column could not move either because he was waiting for the packs or because it had wounded). Weir then left Edgerly and headed back towards where Reno had been (Co D was positioned out by Sharpshooters) and the next Edgerly knew was seeing Weir riding towards Weir Peaks with just his orderly. This was because in the meanwhile Reno had gone off to look for Hodgson so Weir could not find him. My guess is that Benteen and French were in a quiet corner somewhere discussing Reno's behaviour so Weir could not find Benteen either.

Regards

Mike

Edited by - mcaryf on August 06 2008 01:27:40 AM

Sgtmajor109th
Captain

USA

Posted - August 06 2008 :  1:24:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Like you have I have been researching Benteen's movements for
some time. And I have always had the feeling that there were things
that took place that didn't seem right. And there was more going on
with Capt Weir, Benteen and Reno that meets the eye, however I doubt
we will ever know.

In Sarf's book "The Little Bighorn Campaign" on pg, 217, he writes.
"Benteen provoked unease among some of his officers by spending
perhaps 20 minutes or more watering his horses, for it was here that
first thought they detected distant gunshots-probably those of Reno's
command. Captain Weir urged Benteen to start out immediately in the
direction of the sound, but to no avail. So Weir mounted company "D"
and rode off without permission, soon after followed by the rest of
the troops.

At the COI Sgt Davern was being questioned, I won't go into all of it
but, it is on pg, 305. In an answer to question about what he seen
down river.

Q. Were they raising much dust?

A. Yes Sir, I called the attention of Capt Weir to it at the time.

Q. What did you say to him, and what did he say to you.

A. I said to Capt Weir "That must be General Custer fighting down
in the bottom" He asked where and I showed him. He siad, "Yes, I
believe it is".

Q. What did he do then?

A. Not Anything.

The questioning went on to pg, 307.

He was asked more about Capt Weir.

Q, Were you sent Capt Weir with any word?

A. No Sir.

Q. Did you go to him that afternoon?

A. Yes Sir.

Q. Who sent you?

A. He called me himself, and asked me to tell him the details of the
fight in the bottom.

So, Mike I do for one in my own opinion believe that more went on
between Reno and Capt Weir that is known, and I also believe that
there were officers there who knew of it, but kept closed mouth
about it. And I have always asked myself why, French and Gibson
were never called as witnesses. And I don't doubt what Sarf says
in his book, because I have read where others who were there also
mention hearing the gunfire.

Sgtmajor

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - August 06 2008 :  10:52:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SgtMajor, good point! There are many oddities about Benteen that are extremely curious. The Benteen-Goldin letters do much to mystify the reader as to exactly what Benteen's motives were.

Mike suggests that he was attempting to protect the honor of the regiment. I agree but, would addthat some unjustifiable criticisms of Benteen and his deep loathing of Custer had a great deal towards fermenting his untruths.

SgtMajor clearly points out that things occurred between Weir and Reno that have been hidden from us due to(whatever the reason)his testimony at the Inquiry.

What did Benteen mean when he wrote,"Of course I knew a great many things about the fight that'tisn't essential that the world should know."

Was he not obligated to tell the truth after being sworn it?

How about this tidbit, "But as to the queries before the Court of Inquiry, these I would answer now as I did then, and shield Reno quite as much as I did then."

What Benteen is alluding to is that when he wrote his original report, had he not been ill, he would have covered Reno then as he did in the Inquiry. The man admits his collusion to clear Reno and, still got away with it.

On March 1, 1892 he wrote to Goldin:

["then I got the guidon of my own troop and jammed it down in a pile of stones which were on the high point, thinking perhaps the fluttering of the same might attract attention from Custer's commands if any were in close proximity." In order to be attracted by a flag you would have to be alive. He wrote this admission almost three years after his conflicting testimony of the Inquiry![/i]

On January 31, 1896 he writes a letter where he mockingly refers to Reno's "charge" from the bottom, his quotation marks, not mine.

Benteen then goes on to defame the following officers in no uncertain terms:

Moylan, Gibson, DeRudio, Weir, Reno, Mathey, Godfrey, French, Miles, and others I may have missed.

I believe that Graham's statement goes a long way towards explaining Benteen's reasoning for testifying as he did:

"In reading the Benteen-Goldin letters, however, it should not be forgotten that Benteen wrote them during the sunset of his life, for he died shortly after the last of the series penned. He, together with Major Reno, had been attacked and charged by Custer partisans with responsibility for the disaster of June 25, 1876. He had resented and brooded over the injustice of that charge for many years."

Edited by - joe wiggs on August 06 2008 11:11:50 PM

mcaryf
Private

United Kingdom

Posted - August 07 2008 :  04:36:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sgtmajor109th
Whatever dust Davern and Weir saw in the bottom was not Custer as we know he did not cross the river. It was most likely warriors riding about in the village.

With respect to The Morass it was not easy to water the horses there (see Windolph's account) as the surface water was limited. It seems likely that Benteen's battalion watered by company and Godfrey's company had not finished watering when Weir wished to move out. I do think that they heard gunfire from Reno's action whilst they were at The Morass which is why I have Benteen there at 1.30pm which is about the time when Reno opened fire.

I agree that more went on between Weir and Reno than came out at the RCOI and I outlined my thoughts about an earlier altercation between them in an earlier post.

I do not think Reno's action in going personally to look for dead and wounded by the river was correct although he should certainly have sent a party down there. The focus is all on Hodgson but there were others there as well - certainly the Reno party found and brought back one live trooper.

I disagree with John Gray's analysis that has Reno only send Hare to speed the packs after he, Reno, had come back from the river. The evidence is fairly clear that Hare was sent soon after the reunion with Benteen. That being the case and considering the wounded, I think that any refusal by Reno for the whole column to move was reasonable. It would, however, have been sensible to send some group to observe from Weir Peaks. My guess is that Reno and Weir lost their tempers with each other about the whole column moving and so the sensible idea of sending some group was not considered. Obviously Weir realised this by the time he had got back to Edgerly and this became his plan B unfortunately by the time he went back to Reno he was no longer there. This is an example of how wrong Reno was to desert his own command at this critical time.

Hi Joe

The example you give about the guidon is just the same as the earlier ones. There is no doubt that Benteen thought Custer and/or his column were still effective when he planted the flag on 25th June. The doubt as to whether Custer was already dead would have come later.

I think the main problem with French testifying was that he would have to explain why he had disregarded Reno and ridden off to Weir Peaks with Benteen. At least Benteen had the justification of Custer's order which technically might allow him to ignore Reno. One thing that was almost certainly concealed was that Benteen and French appear to have mutually agreed to usurp Reno's authority. Weir had also done this but was conveniently dead. It was in nobody's interest for French's disobedience to be revealed clearly in open court - I guess he could have been liable to have been shot unless Reno was judged to have been mentally incompetent to continue in command (which he probably was).

I do not think Gibson had anything much to add but it would possibly have been embarrassing if his actual error in claiming to have seen the LBH valley with no sign of Indians had come out (at the same time as Gibson was supposedly observing, Varnum reported that the valley was full of Indians with immense columns of dust). Benteen was quite careful not to testify or report what Gibson had actually told him and suggested that they had not found the valley, which was actually the case.

Regards

Mike

Edited by - mcaryf on August 07 2008 04:43:49 AM

Brent
Lt. Colonel

USA

Posted - August 07 2008 :  07:02:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting when I just re-reviewed the results of the Crown Law poll on who was the MOST responsible for Custer's defeat. Other than Custer himself, more people actually picked Benteen than Reno!!

Sgtmajor109th
Captain

USA

Posted - August 07 2008 :  11:25:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You all bring out very good points. I think when you look at the over
all picture it appears to me at the moment Benteen arrived, Reno only
had one thing in mind that was Hodgeson. However, here I cannot let
Benteen off the hook. Benteen had an order from his commanding officer
and should have done his upmost to carry it out. To me there are no
excuses for a failure to carry it out, unless it was impossible to do
so.

What ever was going on in the bottom, they all knew something was up and
it could have only been Custer, and you can't use the excuse you did
not know where Custer was. I, in my own opinion believe that Custer
was only a few miles away. Reno didn't want to make any moves until
the ammo packs were brought up. Benteen's men had a full compliment
of ammo, and Reno had enough officers on hand to get his battalion
into a defensive position. They went down river 1 and 1/2 after the
fact, to late to be of any help to Custer or his command.

I was a battalion Operations Sgt for 12 years and on the company level
as well. And I know that Brent was an officer in Nam, Battalion com-
commanders and company officer are to carry out any order given to
them, the success of a battle may depend on there actions. Many lives
can depend on your actions. I have may own opinion as to what took
place with Custer which I will go into an other time

I know and, I know that Brent knows, in battle things happen fast, it
may seem to you that it may have taken an hour or 1/2 hour, but in
reality it had only been 10 or 15 minutes. And the other factor is
time and distance. The longer it takes you to react to an order, the
longer it is going to take to get there, and the distance may increase.
This is what happened on Reno Hill. If Benteen had moved quickly
once on the hill, he would have a shorter distance to go and it would
taken less time to get there. As it was he delayed allowing Custer
to get further away, increasing time and distance, which boiled down
to the fact , he could do nothing to help Custer, it was all over.

As much as maybe said of Custer carrying out Terry's order, Benteen
had not carried out his commanders order, and no matter what took
place on Reno Hill, as battalion commander, and as an officer he
was bound by duty to carry out that order.

Sgtmajor

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - August 07 2008 :  1:55:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SgtMajor,

Your post is clear, concise, and to the point. It is also one of the best presentations regarding responsibilities and reaction (under combat) that I have yet to see on this forum. You and Brent have experienced the mental and physical debilitation that accompanies the cruel stress associated with combat.

The experiences you two have shared are invaluable when trying to ascertain what really occurred during this battle. For example, I have heard the note written by Cooke referred to everything under the sun excluding an "order." Every soldier now, as well as, every soldier then recognized the note as an "order." Now, there may have been some confusion,on Benteen's part, regarding the best way to carry out the order but, nevertheless, he knew it to be so.

Reno's 1/2 hour sojourn to recover personal items from a dead soldier while the living needed care is the epitome of "combat fatigue" rendering a trained soldier absolutely worthless. Yet, he is often defended by those who say he did the best that he could do. Perhaps that was his best.

As you so eloquently pointed out, a "Commander is bound by duty" to carry out orders. That includes the attempt to save a fellow soldier if at all possible. This factor is an honorable one and, contrary to one poster, it becomes a "a military mission" when required and reasonable.

mcaryf
Private

United Kingdom

Posted - August 07 2008 :  6:09:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi SgtMajor109th

I guess we will not agree about this but for what it is worth this is my assessment of the situation.

When Custer sent Martini to Benteen he thought he had surprised the village with the bulk of the warriors away campaigning (you can get this from Martini's statements). Custer had seen Reno move down the valley only lightly opposed and may or may not have seen Reno come to a halt and form his skirmish line. Custer had then ridden down towards MTC. I do not think that Custer knew precisely where Benteen was at this time but he did know his own command was approaching the village and soon there would be warriors scattering all over and he might not be able to send a messenger safely back. It was the expectation that this was the last opportunity for a while to send a messenger that caused him to do so. At this stage he had no idea that he was about to be in a fight for his life.

The message he sent is fairly clear - he was telling Benteen that there was only one large village after all and that Benteen should come on towards it. He anticipated that Benteen might be near the packs (actually Martini would not find him if he was not so then the message would not matter) so he added the instruction that Benteen was to bring the packs. By this I think he meant that Benteen was to provide a covering force whilst the packs were moving to a secure position near the village (Custer would need ammo resupply after he has captured the village). The concern Custer probably had was that the absent warriors might return and that is why he wanted Benteen to provide extra cover. At Wa****a he had been seriously concerned that his supply train might have been captured.

This is my interpretation of what Custer wanted Benteen to do and I think that was what Benteen was attempting by pausing on Reno Hill for the train to come up. As soon as the first ammo mules were in sight Benteen moved out towards Weir Peaks.

Now with hindsight we can see that the situation was not as Custer anticipated and we can ask ourselves whether there was anything that Benteen could realistically have done. In practical terms probably the only thing that might have diverted the warriors from Custer was if Benteen had renewed the attack on the village across the valley floor. In fact Weir forestalled any move to do this by taking his company along the bluffs where they represented no real threat as they were heading towards where the warriors were strong rather than weak. If Benteen had moved to threaten the village the probability was still high that Custer would have been destroyed and Benteen's own command might well have been also.

My view of the chronology of the Custer fight is that it was all over bar mopping up by shortly after 3pm. Given that Benteen did not even arrive on Reno Hill until about 2.30pm there was very little chance that anything he could actually do would have impacted Custer's dire situation.

It would probably have been better if a recce force had been sent earlier to Weir Peaks but in my view all they would have achieved would have been observing for history some more details of Custer's command's final moments.

Thus in my opinion Benteen did carry out the orders that Custer intended, unfortunately the orders were based on a faulty analysis of the situation.

Regards

Mike

Sgtmajor109th
Captain

USA

Posted - August 07 2008 :  6:24:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe, I am going to get back to Weir a moment. One of the things effects
a soldier the most is frustration, soldiers who are a command position
be it a battalion commander, or a company commander and even down to a
platoon leader or platoon sgt. They are all well aware of what has to be
done, and in the case when they have mens lives on the line. Men get killed,
and wounded, but you must stick to your orders, and stay focus and what
ever takes to get the mission complete and to keep as many of your men
alive as you can, when things happen to keep you from accomplishing those
things, frustration sets in. When this happens you start to make mistakes,
moving without orders, getting yourself out of position, and putting your
men in harms.

This what I believe happened to Weir, and I believe it happened back on
the trail at the watering place. He was wanting to get moving he was
aware that something was happening. Then Martin brought the order which
Weir was shown. Now his blood starts to simmer, he is wanting to move.
Now he gets to the Hill,Reno is all out of sorts, and Benteen stops and goes
no futher. All Weir has in his head is that order, why are we not moving.
now the blood starts to boil, frustration is now kicking in. Then it
happens, frustation takes over, he looses focus of the situation and
heads out without permission, putting himself and his troops in great
danger, and the rest of the command on the hill.

If Benteen, once on the hill had done anything in the way of obeying
that order and had moved down stream, even if he could have only went
a half mile, he may have gone a long way in curbing Weir's and maybe
some others frustation, because he at least tried to obey that order,
in stead he choose to do nothing until it was to late. I believe that
over the years the LBH had a great deal to do with Weir's death.

Then there is the other part, if Weir had not moved down the river, I
don't believe Reno or Benteen would have ever moved, until Gen Terry
came up.

Sgtmajor

Sgtmajor109th
Captain

USA

Posted - August 07 2008 :  6:38:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

I do not disagree with what you are saying, you have made some very
interesting points and that may well be what Custer wanted. But in
a small way we all look at things differently, and I think all the
points made are good ones, and I am sure we will all find a common
ground. I enjoy your views very much, and I enjoy having this dis-
cussion with all of you. Mike we don't know the answer and there
are many before us, and there are going to be many after us. But
maybe just maybe we can give them something to think about, just
as you and the other fellows give me things to think about. Keep
up the the good work, and am very happy to have you among us.

Sgtmajor

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - August 08 2008 :  1:28:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcaryf

Hi Joe

The example you give about the guidon is just the same as the earlier ones. There is no doubt that Benteen thought Custer and/or his column were still effective when he planted the flag on 25th June. The doubt as to whether Custer was already dead would have come later.

Joe
Hi Mike! You're right, its the same example, the difference being that Benteen re-admits, years later, that he planted the guidon to attract survivors. What I hope to do,now,is to re-evaluate my previous post in a wider context. It is imperitive to understand that before and after the Reno Inquiry, Benteen made written and verbal statements that contradicted his testimony.

While Benteen was certainly a brave soldier he was not a very pleasant individual. Prone to jealousy, his acrimonious relationship with virtually every member of the Office Class,he was a part of,speaks volumes.

A man of such a mental caliber views life from a stringent perspective and acute personal judgment. "The End Justifies The Means" would be an adage Benteen was very familiar with. Benteen makes an admission that he withheld, altered, and/or denied the truth when he testified. The motive for doing so regarding Reno would have to differ from his motivation for describing Custer as incompetent.

My guest is that he perjured himself to protect Reno (although he despised him) to cover Reno's incompetence thereby, protecting the regiment. Custer receive his ire simply because he had to be portrayed as failing to have issued reasonable orders and, being overly ambitious. Thus, the responsibility for the fiasco becomes a dead man's burden who is unable to defend himself.

It is not by chance that the students of this battle fall into two primary camps; Pro-Custer or Pro-Reno/Benteen. This division of "cause and effect" is a direct corollary of the Inquiry testimony.
Excluding basic facts that are corroborated by unbiased testimony, the pertinent, unwitnessed "facts" are clouded by official by tainted testimony.

Edited by - joe wiggs on August 08 2008 1:33:44 PM

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - August 08 2008 :  9:11:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sgtmajor109th

Mike,

we will ever know.

Joe
SgtMajor, we probably will never know what actually occurred between the commanders however, we can speculate that the "incident" was one of embarrassment for the regigmnet thus, hidden by mis-information.

For example, Weir not only defied orders by leading out to Weir's Point, his action accentuated Reno's loss of control of the entire situation. Reno ordered a trumpeter to sound "recall"(continuously) which Weir also ignored. Upon arriving at the hill Benteen decided that the location was not a good one for defense. He then descends the hill with his troop returning to Reno's position a half mile or so to the rear. Inexplicably, he did so forgetting/neglecting to inform the others. Weir followed him leaving his troop in the care of Edgerly. French, the only senior left, remained with his company.

In the meanwhile, Godfrey's command was in a line along the ridge south of Weir's company on the hill. As the Indians quickly approached, French mounted his men and led them out at a gallop while yelling to Edgerly to do the same.

Godfrey watched the troops speed by him in a full gallop and, immediately realized that if something were not done immediately the emboldened warriors would follow the troops right to and through the other troops.

Godfrey, assisted by Hare, placed his thirty men in skirmish and fired into the fast approaching warriors who held up and retreated for cover. In other words, the Lieutenant utilized a "Rearguard Action" thereby saving himself and the command. If Godfrey had the presence of mind to perform this critical but basic military maneuver, how does one explain Reno's( a senior officer)inability to do so? Weir, later, thanked Godfrey profusely for saving his command.

There were other embarrassing "incidents" that were also covered up by dumping responsibility for the errors of others on those who could no longer defend themselves.

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - August 08 2008 :  9:24:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joe wiggs

quote:
Originally posted by Sgtmajor109th

Mike,

we will ever know.

Joe
SgtMajor, we probably will never know what actually occurred between the commanders however, we can speculate that the "incident" was one of embarrassment for the regiment thus, hidden by mis-information at the Reno Inquiry.

For example, Weir not only defied orders by leading out to Weir's Point, his action accentuated Reno's loss of control of the entire situation. Reno ordered a trumpeter to sound "recall"(continuously) which Weir also ignored. Upon arriving at the hill Benteen decided that the location was not a good one for defense. He then descends the hill with his troop returning to Reno's position a half mile or so to the rear. Inexplicably, he did so forgetting/neglecting to inform the others. Weir followed him leaving his troop in the care of Edgerly. French, the only senior left, remained with his company.

In the meanwhile, Godfrey's command was in a line along the ridge south of Weir's company on the hill. As the Indians quickly approached, French mounted his men and led them out at a gallop while yelling to Edgerly to do the same.

Godfrey watched the troops speed by him in a full gallop and, quickly realized that if something were not done immediately the emboldened warriors would follow the fleeing troops right to and through camp.

Godfrey, assisted by Hare, coolly and methodically placed his thirty men in skirmish and had them fire volleys into the massive and fast approaching warriors who held up and retreated for cover. As his men slowly retreated they began to "bunch" but were forced by Godfrey and hare to maintain authorized distances for men in skirmish. In other words, the Lieutenant utilized a "Rearguard Action" thereby saving himself and the command. If Godfrey had the presence of mind to perform this critical but basic military maneuver, how does one explain Reno's( a senior officer)inability to do so? That is the reason that the Weir incident was not disclosed at the inquiry! Weir, later, thanked Godfrey profusely for saving his command.

There were other embarrassing "incidents" that were also covered up by dumping responsibility for the errors of others on those who could no longer defend themselves. Quite a few survivors did not handle themselves well (understandably)and so this humiliation had to be buried in a quagmire of subterfuge.

Edited by - joe wiggs on August 08 2008 9:26:02 PM
Page: of 7 Previous Topic: The 7ths marksmanship Topic Next Topic: Mis-Information or lies?  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Custom Search

Against All Odds Message Board © 1998-2010 Rich Federici/Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
This page was raised in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03