Against All Odds Message Board
Against All Odds Message Board
5/4/2024 5:55:12 AM
Home | Old Board Archives | Events | Polls
Photo Album | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages | Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Chat
Bookmarks | Active Topics
Invite A Friend To Face The Odds!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Battle of the Little Bighorn - 1876
 Custer's Last Stand
 Tom Custer
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: The Flow of Battle on Custer Battlefield Topic Next Topic: The validity of the Reno Court of Inquiry  

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - June 28 2008 :  8:12:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the more interesting reads, for me, are the excerpts from the Grinnell interview with White Shield who elaborated upon several aspects of the battle. what particularly caught my interest was the following;
"I saw the man supposed to be Custer being stripped. He was clad in a buckskin shirt-fringed on the breast-and trousers. He wore fine high boots, and had a knife stuck in a scabbard in his boot, and [wore]a big red handkerchief. Lying near him was a six shooter and saber. He must have died with the pistol in his hand. They had sabers with them. A man who supposed to be Custer had a long mustache, but no other hair on his face. He had marks pricked into his skin on the arms above the wrist."

Several of Custer's officers dressed in a similar fashion. Only Tom Custer was identified by the tattoo's on his arm. In fact, the mutilation of Tom Custer's remains was so extensive that identification would have been impossible in not for the letters "TWC" tattooed on gunshot-shattered arm.Here we have a perfect example of Indian testimony being corroborated by know facts.
Regarding White Shield's referral to a "saber", it has been established that they were left behind by the orders of the General. However, it is not unfeasible that s few men managed to sneak their sabers with them. I believe DeRudio managed to do just that.

Brent
Lt. Colonel

USA

Posted - June 29 2008 :  11:08:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't believe Custer had any tatoos(?) so this could very well have been Tom Custer.
Wonder tho how you would "sneak" a saber along and keep it hidden so the general wouldn't see it?? Or--did the General just order no sabers for the rank and file, and not care if the officers kept theirs? Or-did White Shield make a mistake?
Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - July 02 2008 :  7:53:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't know but, I think a saber was left with the pack train and retrieved later. What I find so interesting and exciting is that a heretofore seemingly unbelievable statement has been substantiated somewhat. It is possible that Custer afforded his officer class a slight leeway that he probably would not have given to the rank and file.

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - September 06 2009 :  3:32:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have recently read where DeRddio and LT. and Lt. Mathey somehow sneeked sabers pass the eagle eyes of Custer. If true, it lends credence to some warrior testimony.

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - September 09 2009 :  09:41:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bet DeRudio thought when Custer was on the ridge that Custer had spotted him with a sabre and DeRudio was afraid to come out of timber where Custer could get a good look at who had a sabre.

“ An officer's first duty is to his horses.”

SEMPER FI

prolar
Major

Posted - September 09 2009 :  9:43:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good one AZ, but as for bringing Crazy Horse to battle, I believe Reno ran before CH got there. So maybe Joe was only wrong twice?

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - September 10 2009 :  09:23:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crazy Horse was brought to battle by heading toward Reno rather than running away. Custer at some point realised that to many were brought to battle.

SEMPER FI

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - November 25 2009 :  9:23:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Realized is spelled r-e-a-l-i-z-e-d. We all make mistakes sometimes don't we. The difference between you and I, however, is that I realize that good people sometimes make small, insignificant errors which are sometimes exaggerated by others.

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - November 26 2009 :  10:35:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prolar

Good one AZ, but as for bringing Crazy Horse to battle, I believe Reno ran before CH got there. So maybe Joe was only wrong twice?

No he brought CH to battle just didn't stay to long for the fight.

SEMPER FI

AZ Ranger
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - November 26 2009 :  11:04:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joe wiggs

Realized is spelled r-e-a-l-i-z-e-d. We all make mistakes sometimes don't we. The difference between you and I, however, is that I realize that good people sometimes make small, insignificant errors which are sometimes exaggerated by others.

Which is it Joe Realized or r-e-a-l-i-z-e-d? Since I all ready freely admit my English and spelling errors, what is your point? I think you made a poor choice of my not applying spell check. I am guessing that you could actually find that as word in an English dictionary somewhere.

quote:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/realised

The real issue is Benteen's testimony and your understanding of the words used not if you or I used spell check.

believed = I thought past tense
believe = I think present tense

Benteen thought when he put up the guidon that Custer was alive. At the court of inquiry based upon personal observations he used the present tense "believe".

So Joe do you remember the New York shooting where one officer thought (believed) he saw a gun and shouted gun. I believe over 40 rounds were fired from several officers. That changed firearms training from using the command gun for everyone to open fire. Now we instruct that each officer must see the threat.

So the first officer thought it was a gun. After the shooting it turned out to be a wallet. The officer would have to testify if asked on what he later discovered to be a wallet on the day of the shooting court on what is current thinking. He would use words similar to Benteen's words. I now believe it was a wallet.

AZ Ranger

SEMPER FI

joe wiggs
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - July 30 2011 :  2:38:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "point" in all of this is, "People in live in glass houses ought not throw stones!
  Previous Topic: The Flow of Battle on Custer Battlefield Topic Next Topic: The validity of the Reno Court of Inquiry  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Custom Search

Against All Odds Message Board © 1998-2010 Rich Federici/Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
This page was raised in 0.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03