Against All Odds Message Board
Against All Odds Message Board
10/8/2024 5:27:36 PM
Home | Old Board Archives | Events | Polls
Photo Album | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages | Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Chat
Bookmarks | Active Topics
Invite A Friend To Face The Odds!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Battle of the Little Bighorn - 1876
 Custer's Last Stand
 Friends of the Little Bighorn 2005 Calendar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: Can We Trust The History Channel? Topic Next Topic: On Custer  

bhist
Lt. Colonel

Posted - January 01 2005 :  7:45:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit bhist's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Folks --

2005 is now here and the Friends of the Little Bighorn Battlefield have their new 2005 calendar available for sale online. It's the best calendar we've produced with photos from Glen Swanson's new book, "G. A. Custer: His Life and Times" and landscapes by me. My favorite photo of Custer is included with the month of December.

We also include a magnificent photo of the Keogh Guidon, which was taken from the field by the Lakota but recaptured at the Battle of Slim Buttes. I'm sure than none of you have seen this guidon since it has to be kept out of the light. It is stored in the vault at the battlefield. I've seen it countless times, and Glen's photo of it is as best as you will get next to seeing it for yourselves.

All proceeds for the calendar, like every item we sell on the website, go towards projects at the battlefield. Your purchase does help us preserve the battle site.

Thanks for your orders -- I know you won't be disappointed.

Here is the link -- http://www.cafepress.com/friendslbh/437500 -- from here you can look at each month to view the photos.

Warmest Regards,
Bob
www.vonsworks.com
www.friendslittlebighorn.com
www.friendsnezpercebattlefields.org

Edited by - bhist on January 01 2005 7:46:59 PM

Rich
Commander-in-Chief

Rich
USA

Posted - January 02 2005 :  06:08:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rich's Homepage  Click to see Rich's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just ordered mine! Thanks, Bob ...
Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page

bhist
Lt. Colonel

Posted - January 02 2005 :  1:23:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit bhist's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rich

Just ordered mine! Thanks, Bob ...

Thank you Rich. For the first time, we'll be selling these at the battlefield as well.

I hope to have the 2006 calendar ready to go in the spring so we can have them available for sale for the busy summer season at the battlefield.

Warmest Regards,
Bob
www.vonsworks.com

bhist
Lt. Colonel

Posted - January 06 2005 :  4:12:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit bhist's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Folks:

So far, the sales of the calendar are doing well. I’ll meet with the LBH battlefield superintendent the third week of January to discuss Friends projects for 2005. Darrell and I spent a day together, when I was up there in September for the archeological dig, and part of that time was walking around the site to view possible projects.

One interesting project we may do is replacement of trees in the National Cemetery. It’s a sad state, but most of the fir trees have died. There really aren’t too many trees that are indigenous to that area, so most will die eventually. These particular trees lasted a long time. I suggested to Darrell that they chop down the dead trees anyway until he decides if he will replace them with new ones. If he chooses to do that, then the Friends may contribute to new trees – they won’t be cheap because they’ll be mature.

Other projects we discussed are repairs, if possible, of the headstones in the cemetery. They’ve become chipped and gashed from lawn equipment pressing against them. I suggested that Darrell contact the superintendent at Arlington National Cemetery to find out what they do to prevent the damage. If there is equipment used that LBH doesn’t have, then the Friends may contribute towards that.

One project we will do is the production of a new Last Stand Hill self-guiding brochure. Neil Mangum and I wrote the text when we were at the battlefield in June. As busy as LSH has become, this brochure will be a valued addition to interpretation at the battlefield.

I’m currently in the process of developing a new wayside exhibit booklet to be sold at the battlefield. The artist of the waysides, Martin Pate, has already given us permission to use his art. The booklet will include every wayside exhibit – on road and off – and the text. I’m suggesting that we have just the painting on the left page, and the text of the wayside on the right, so Martin’s artwork can be viewed alone. We’ll also have a map pinpointing the location of every wayside. Neil Mangum will write a preface and Martin the introduction. I’d like Martin to discuss how he became interested in the battle, how he was chosen to do the art, and the process he followed in researching, deciding how he would present his subject, and completing the art. This should be a great revenue-generating product for the Friends.

Our board will meet the last week in January when we will decide which projects we will assist the battlefield with in 2005. I’ll be posting all that information on the Friends website.

So, you can easily see how your purchases of all products from the Friends website – books and gift merchandise, help us meet our goals. Thanks to all that have contributed.

Warmest Regards,
Bob
www.vonsworks.com

Edited by - bhist on January 06 2005 4:18:35 PM

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - January 15 2005 :  9:41:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, I came, I saw, I purchased (the calender).

bhist
Lt. Colonel

Posted - January 24 2005 :  1:15:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit bhist's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joseph wiggs

Bob, I came, I saw, I purchased (the calender).

Thanks, Joe. Let me know what you think of it.

Warmest Regards,
Bob
www.vonsworks.com

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - January 25 2005 :  8:33:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Restoration of the trees would certainly be a noble endeavor. However, the selfish part of me opts for the wayside booklet. The visual pictures of the battle, represented by a great artist, would do wonders in assisting people in visualizing what actually occurred. The accompanied remarks by the artist would be an irresisible combination.

Edited by - joseph wiggs on January 25 2005 8:40:17 PM
  Previous Topic: Can We Trust The History Channel? Topic Next Topic: On Custer  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Custom Search

Against All Odds Message Board © 1998-2010 Rich Federici/Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
This page was raised in 0.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03