Against All Odds Message Board
Against All Odds Message Board
10/8/2024 5:21:04 PM
Home | Old Board Archives | Events | Polls
Photo Album | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages | Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Chat
Bookmarks | Active Topics
Invite A Friend To Face The Odds!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Battle of the Little Bighorn - 1876
 Custer's Last Stand
 LBH Archeology Road Survey 2004
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic

Author Previous Topic: More Photos from Sept 04 Archeology Survey Topic Next Topic: Field Cartography  

bhist
Lt. Colonel

Posted - September 21 2004 :  6:45:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit bhist's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Folks:

I've got the Friends of the Little Bighorn website updated with a report on last weeks archeology survey at Little Bighorn. There are lots of photos and many more will be added as I receive them from the battlefield and fellow volunteers.

The link is - http://www.friendslittlebighorn.com/Archeology-survey-2004.htm --

From there you’ll find buttons to go to a page with more photos and also Doug Scott's preliminary field analysis.

Warmest Regards,
Bob
www.vonsworks.com
www.friendslittlebighorn.com
www.friendsnezpercebattlefields.org

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - September 21 2004 :  8:25:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, your anecdote of the "hair pins" is priceless, your photos and efforts greatly appreciated.
Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page

bhist
Lt. Colonel

Posted - September 21 2004 :  8:36:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit bhist's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Wiggs. Glay you enjoyed it.

Warmest Regards,
Bob
www.vonsworks.com

movingrobewoman
Lt. Colonel

USA

Posted - September 21 2004 :  11:47:41 PM  Show Profile  Send movingrobewoman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Bob--

I'll e-mail you ... eventually ... but until then, my computer is overjoyed with your emailed information about the "finds" on the road project. I was also quite happy to read your comments (albeit old, as of September, 2004) in the newest "Battlefield Dispatch." I am happy to see that Custer organisations are realising the strength that can come from working together. Much can come from overcoming past uncertainties and working for the betterment of our combined knowledge.

Regards,
Tricia Johnson-McDuffie, aka,

movingrobe

BJMarkland
Colonel

USA

Posted - September 22 2004 :  04:51:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit BJMarkland's Homepage  Reply with Quote
God almighty blessed sakes!!! Bob, I am totally green with envy that you were able to participate in the survey and "dig". Fantastic work on the web page to go along with it. The site is getting better and better.

Question: It seems that more artifacts were found in previously surveyed locations. Do you attribute that to improved technology used in the modern metal detectors?

Raspberry Award time though...less of you and more of the 50/70 cartridge!

hmmm...I wonder if they ever found any Henry cartridges on the Fetterman Battlefield and, if so, could they be compared to ones found at LBH?

What a nice way to spend my insomniac hours rather than working (although I have already taken care of working with a customer in Hong Kong.) Now to some more transcriptions.

Best of wishes,

Billy

Edited by - BJMarkland on September 22 2004 05:02:43 AM

bhist
Lt. Colonel

Posted - September 22 2004 :  1:21:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit bhist's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Billy:

Sorry to have kept you awake late into the night! The reason we found less artifacts in previous surveyed locations is because when Scott went over it in 1984 they purposely spread out their dig area to only retrieve 20% of what’s in the ground. This time we hit as much of 100% of those 60 feet off each side of the road because once the road is widened we will not be able to look again.

Scott may have metal detectors scan the road as it’s being torn up in preparation for its widening, which is a great idea.

As far as the Raspberry Award this is what I’ll state in my acceptance speech. “Thank you very much for this award. I must admit that both John Doerner and I took close-up photos of the Remington 50/70 cartridge but neither came out. However, I have an order in for one from Scott as soon as he takes it. Once I have it I’ll post it on the website.”

Thanks for joining the Friends Billy!

Warmest Regards,
Bob
www.vonsworks.com

Edited by - bhist on September 22 2004 1:28:24 PM

frankboddn
Major

USA

Posted - September 22 2004 :  6:32:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, I looked through the entire archeological site, including the additional pictures. I've been to the LBH about 5-8 times and walked a lot of it, and your pictures make me see how much more there is to see and feel there. Thanks again for documenting this in words and pictures and sharing it with us. Y'all do good work.
Frank

bhist
Lt. Colonel

Posted - September 25 2004 :  04:07:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit bhist's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much Frank. I'll note it here once I get more photos added.

Warmest Regards,
Bob
www.vonsworks.com

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - September 26 2004 :  9:49:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, on a previous thread I offered you my first born son in exchange for an opportunity to expererience your wonderful opportunity. By your silence, I can only assume that you have declined the offer. Now, to up the ante; I will sign up for seven years of indentured servitude if you include me on the next project. What say ye?

bhist
Lt. Colonel

Posted - December 18 2004 :  03:05:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit bhist's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joseph wiggs

Bob, on a previous thread I offered you my first born son in exchange for an opportunity to expererience your wonderful opportunity. By your silence, I can only assume that you have declined the offer. Now, to up the ante; I will sign up for seven years of indentured servitude if you include me on the next project. What say ye?

Joe -- I would if I could, but I don't call the shots on who will be included in the teams. Sorry...

Warmest Regards,
Bob
www.vonsworks.com

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - December 20 2004 :  9:21:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's Okay Bob, at least I know that you will do everything in your power to see that the forum receives all the good stuff made available by your efforts!

Edited by - joseph wiggs on December 20 2004 9:22:52 PM
  Previous Topic: More Photos from Sept 04 Archeology Survey Topic Next Topic: Field Cartography  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Custom Search

Against All Odds Message Board © 1998-2010 Rich Federici/Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
This page was raised in 0.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03