Against All Odds Message Board
Against All Odds Message Board
10/7/2024 9:56:22 PM
Home | Old Board Archives | Events | Polls
Photo Album | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages | Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Chat
Bookmarks | Active Topics
Invite A Friend To Face The Odds!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Battle of the Little Bighorn - 1876
 Custer's Last Stand
 The Timber
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page

Author Previous Topic: Lt. Jesse M. Lee Topic Next Topic: Custer-philes and Custer-phobes
Page: of 2

wILD I
Brigadier General

Ireland

Posted - June 17 2004 :  2:46:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems it was a fashion in the 7th to strike subordinates.Did Custer not threaten to horse whip one of his officers?And I'v seen references to Keogh laying about him with his riding crop.
Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - June 17 2004 :  3:17:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not just the 7th. And high talk from a Brit! You guys were just as bad. Also, you dressed funny.

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
darkcloud@darkendeavors.com
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com

wILD I
Brigadier General

Ireland

Posted - June 18 2004 :  10:18:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Brit??????? We feed them to our young.

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - June 18 2004 :  12:13:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Like Green goes with anything.....

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com

wILD I
Brigadier General

Ireland

Posted - June 28 2004 :  04:16:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question.

When Reno's command withdrew to the timber did it advance pivoting forward on its right company G as some books suggest or did it retreat pivoting backward on company G.

Anybody got any opinions on the behaviour of De Rudio?
He was 2i/c of A company which held the centre of the skirmish line yet some accounts have him entering the timber before the order to retreat there was given.He is well aware of the order to leave the timber but remains hidden there.When he discovers 10 or so other troopers still in the timber he makes no attempt to take command of them but leaves them to Herendeen and lies hidden with a sergeant Ryan for the next 36 hours.So possible the first man into the timber on the 25th he is the last out on the 27th.

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - June 29 2004 :  4:28:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope the following helps Wild:

The only reference book that dealt with this event in depth (that I could find) was Kuhlman's Legend Into History. He writes that the skirmish line was formed near the site of the present headstone for Lt. McIntosh. "Its right rested on a narrow strip of timber running parallel, or nearly so, to an old riverbed. Troop "G" held the right, "A" the center, and "M" on the left."

In other words, facing the village, "G" is closest to the timber while "M" is the left flank of the line.
Kuhlman further states, "The troops moved into the edge of the timber and faced about, making the former "right" of the line now the "Left." It appears that the troops advanced forward, pivoting on "G".

Regarding DeRudio's behavior, he was often referred to as, "Count No Account", by other soldiers. It seems that a letter, he wrote, describing his exploits in the timber was fraught with exaggerations. It was also alleged that the letter was "Ghost Written" by someone else.

Apparently DeRudio, acting on a tip that Indians may have infiltrated the timber from the west, "Went with 5 or 6 men of company "A" to investigate." Seeing Indians to the high ground to his front and left,DeRudi and his men spent ten minutes taking pop shots at the warriors. Warned of the immanent "going out" of the troops, DeRudo alleges that he was left behind because he crawled 40 feet to retrieve a dropped guidon. While this could be described as an act of courage, crawling towards "20 or 30" hot and angry Indians could be construed as stupid. The third option, which is the most believable, is DeRudio lied.

Dark Cloud
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - June 29 2004 :  4:54:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dark Cloud's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Or, fourth option, if you believe he didn't write the letter (Brisbin generally gets the nod as author) is not blame him for something he might not have actually claimed, himself.

Dark Cloud
copyright RL MacLeod
www.darkendeavors.com
www.boulderlout.com

joseph wiggs
Brigadier General

Posted - June 29 2004 :  8:26:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hadn't thought of that option but, it certainly possible.

wILD I
Brigadier General

Ireland

Posted - June 30 2004 :  03:32:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Wiggs
Many thanks for the info and for writing in contempory English.You have no idea what a pain in the butt that other style is.Is it possible that you are attempting to write in the same manner as Custer and his mates from the 1870s? You're English reminds me of those civil war letters---"I feel compelled to write a few lines that may fall under your gentle eye".I don't want to be rude but it does you're arguements no good at all.
We have been discussing the main players here but there are numerious secondary characters worth examining as well.
Cheers
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Lt. Jesse M. Lee Topic Next Topic: Custer-philes and Custer-phobes  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Custom Search

Against All Odds Message Board © 1998-2010 Rich Federici/Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
This page was raised in 0.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03