Against All Odds Message Board
Against All Odds Message Board
10/9/2024 8:24:07 AM
Home | Old Board Archives | Events | Polls
Photo Album | Classifieds | Downloads
Profile | Register | Members | Private Messages | Search | Posting Tips | FAQ | Web Links | Chat
Bookmarks | Active Topics
Invite A Friend To Face The Odds!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Battle of the Little Bighorn - 1876
 Custer's Last Stand
 John Gray: The Tail That WagsThe Dog--Still
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page

Author Previous Topic: SOMS:  VHS v. LaserDisc Topic Next Topic: Cemetery Ravine v. Deep Ravine
Page: of 8

Wrangler
Lieutenant

Posted - January 17 2004 :  7:41:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BJMarkland
I copied pgs. 55-102 of the Reno inquiry from microfilm today. I will attempt to get them scanned. If you don't like the quality of the freaking images, complain to the admin who maybe can retrieve my lengthy explanation of why they are as they are.
Billy,

I have Nichols's version of the RCOI in digits. I'm not certain of the actual lash up page-wise between the Army's microfilm version and Nichols's version, but if you have some specific entries you would like to present on the forum, send me a PM and I will send these to you to use as you see fit.

v/r

Wrangler
Go to Bottom of PageGo to Top of Page

matthew_ridgeway
Private

Posted - January 17 2004 :  8:20:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting information Rockey. Yet one more bit of evidence suggesting that employing long marches to develop short term gait speeds is probably erroneous – if this is indeed what Gray has done.

Again from: G. Longacre

“It was thought best to vary the rate of march during a raid, whenever possible, to relieve the tedium occasioned by a sustained gait. Often the canter was temporarily substituted for the predominating gait, the trot, and sometimes a limited gallop would be employed for short periods.”

BJMarkland
Colonel

USA

Posted - January 17 2004 :  8:43:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit BJMarkland's Homepage  Reply with Quote
PJ wrote:

quote:
I did contact Michno however and gave him the site. It's up to him if he would like to "show up".

If he doesn't wish to show up, please pass along my regards to him as his Encyclopedia of Indian Wars 1850-1890 should be on the bookshelves of any scholar or hobbyist of the trans-Mississippi Indian wars. It is not totally complete, as he states, but for an idea of the big picture facing the U.S. Army, it is superp.

Obviously I have calmed down from my melt-down.

My apologies to any I offended with my frustration at the board and my own self for not doing a control C before attempting to post.

Maybe after dinner, I will attempt to rewrite the intricacies of copying poor quality microfilm images and the compromises made. No guarantees unless I have a full bottle of rolaids handy!

Later guys,

Billy

BJMarkland
Colonel

USA

Posted - January 17 2004 :  9:15:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit BJMarkland's Homepage  Reply with Quote
PJ wrote:

quote:
I did contact Michno however and gave him the site. It's up to him if he would like to "show up".

If he doesn't wish to show up, please pass along my regards to him as his Encyclopedia of Indian Wars 1850-1890 should be on the bookshelves of any scholar or hobbyist of the trans-Mississippi Indian wars. It is not totally complete, as he states, but for an idea of the big picture facing the U.S. Army, it is superp.

Obviously I have calmed down from my melt-down.

My apologies to any I offended with my frustration at the board and my own self for not doing a control C before attempting to post.

Maybe after dinner, I will attempt to rewrite the intricacies of copying poor quality microfilm images and the compromises made. No guarantees unless I have a full bottle of rolaids handy!

Later guys,

Billy

Wrangler
Lieutenant

Posted - January 17 2004 :  10:12:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rocky76
Lt. Wrangler.....my hat is off to you and if you listen closely you will hear the sound of my applause...now I need to go back and study closely the problems you are professing lay within the Gray zone. Col. Steele of the eighth Cav. once told Cartwright that the rate of march was a standard 15 min. walk, 15 trot, 15 gallop and then 15 grazing....or something like that, at least the totals added up to an hour....I thought it was odd, but the man was a part of the longest cavalry march recorded.
Rocky,

Thanks for the data point.

v/r

Wrangler

Rocky76
Corporal

USA

Posted - January 17 2004 :  10:23:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wrangler, If I get a chance this weekend I will dig out that letter and post it...I know it is quoted in a misc. letter to someone else which will make it easier to find....I am quoting from memory that is shaky at best...but I am sure that however the sequence went it included a period for grazing.....I have seen something similar to this in the Ft. Meade records also.

The two points I have contention with Gray is the sequence of Custer moving over the bluffs near Reno Hill (and trust me a lot of things were going on in that area in a 30 or 40 minute period) and the whole episode of NCR and the evidence he uses...I have not read Gray in a couple of years but I know I was livid when I read the NCR stuff....he just assumes too much based on the wrong info.

pjsolla
Major

Posted - January 17 2004 :  11:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
El Crab: Tried emailing you at webmaster@dragcrab.com It has been returned twice.

Wrangler
Lieutenant

Posted - January 17 2004 :  11:44:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is possible that in Gray and Darling’s accounts they attempted to calculate the speed of Benteen’s Scout-to-the-Left (x) given a constant speed of 3-mph by the trains (y). I propose that the equation should be reversed; where x is the constant and y is the variable. What follows are some scenarios to “rough and tumble” over in your spare time given this proposed trend-reversal of the Gray-Darling 3-mph for the trains.

Given:

* Darling is correct in concluding that Benteen’s S2TL = 7 ¾ miles.
* Godfrey and Edgerly are incorrect in their distance estimates.
* Capt. Benteen’s horse walks @ 5-mph (Nichols, 432)
* Lt. Edgerly is correct in observing, ”Our march was a rapid one.” (Nichols, 441)
* Lt. Godfrey is correct in observing, “My company [K] was in the rear [of H Co. followed by D Co.] and I had quite often to give the command “trot” to keep up with the rest of the command.” (Nichols, 479)

Scenario#1--

Assumptions:

* The speed of Benteen’s Battalion was 3.75-mph.
* McDougall is correct in estimating “about 20 minutes” is the time that passed prior to the trains departing the division halt.

Scenario#2--

Assumptions:

* The speed of Benteen’s Battalion was 4-mph.
* McDougall is not correct in estimating “about 20 minutes” is the time that passed prior to the trains departing the division halt.

Scenario#3--

Assumptions:

* The speed of Benteen’s Battalion was 5-mph.
* McDougall is correct in estimating “about 20 minutes” is the time that passed prior to the trains departing the division halt.

Scenario#x

Create your own additional scenarios—there are several more permutations that can be made along these lines.

From your answers, how do you reconcile for yourself the mph that should be used for the trains in historical interpretations? Where is the morass located in each of these scenarios? How do you reconcile for yourself the length of time spent by Benteen’s Battalion at the morass halt?

v/r

Wrangler

Rocky76
Corporal

USA

Posted - January 17 2004 :  11:52:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking from memory, Dr. Gray would call that a check point....or something like that....but what check and what point....hmmmm Major Anders might have an answer, but who ever checks with him anymore?

Wrangler
Lieutenant

Posted - January 18 2004 :  12:03:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He liked horsies too but never seems to have addressed these particular questions. :-D

Wrangler
Lieutenant

Posted - January 18 2004 :  12:08:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anders that is...

Rocky76
Corporal

USA

Posted - January 18 2004 :  12:19:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not sure you are right, he may have taken such into account, I have over 300 letters....but of course Anders was more of a foot soldier, both in the Phillipines and on the divide.

Rocky76
Corporal

USA

Posted - January 18 2004 :  12:22:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He introduced Col. Steele to Cartwright

Wrangler
Lieutenant

Posted - January 18 2004 :  12:27:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am your student and listening.

Rocky76
Corporal

USA

Posted - January 18 2004 :  12:51:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Major Franklin Anders spent weeks, no, months, walking around and taking measurements on the divide and along the route to the battlefield....he lived with the Weiberts at times and left photographs of every foot of that area...including Henry as a young man and Don as a baby. I have a photo of Anders with a brush hog clearing sage brush from near the Hodgson marker (after it was moved to the river in 1939)...there isn't a sagebrush plant near the marker now....but in the photo there are several mature plants just behind him....must have burned off in the 84 fire....????....hmmmm, good question for Jim Brust or Brian P....ByTheWay the marker (Hodgson) is getting shot up pretty bad in the past couple of years. If I have something someone wants, just ask, sometimes I am not even sure how valuable it is to others.

Wrangler
Lieutenant

Posted - January 18 2004 :  01:11:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rocky76
If I have something someone wants, just ask, sometimes I am not even sure how valuable it is to others.
Rocky,

First of all, if these are original letters from Anders, you should consider donating them at some point to the National Park Service (Custer Battlefield) or the University of NoDak where the rest of his stuff is. If you do, some day some historian shmoh might just gain an epiphany from them about the battle.

Secondly, a request. Anything in these letters about the location of the Crow's Nest?

Thanks.

v/r

Wrangler

Rocky76
Corporal

USA

Posted - January 18 2004 :  01:42:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The letters are an exchange with Ralph Cartwright and are the property of the Ralph G. Cartwright Collection in the Pheobe A. Hearst Memorial Library in Lead SD...I have been working with the library in the project of scanning the letters so that they may be used for study of the battle of the Little Big Horn, included in the collection are Cartwrights letters to Edward Luce, Lawrence Frost, Charles Kuhlmann, Joseph Blummer, Norman Maclean, Robert Utley, James Hutchins and many others. there are over 3000 letters in the collection plus over 200 photographs (including a hundred or so taken by Anders which would include the Crows Nest as determined by Anders--different than what is currently accepted). Anders was the Godson of General Godfrey and was a MOH winner for action in the Phillipines...he was a member of the ND volunteers and was promoted to Major because of his gallantry......his son, also named Franklin, was in the Bataan death march and managed to carry the battalion colors hidden on his person and hold onto them throughout their captivity....he (young Frank) never regained his health and died young. As I mentioned in my email, there is a connection in my family with these people, but I have not found it yet....My Grandfather was also a Major in the ND Volunteers and stationed in the Phillipines (he was a Lt. at that time)...although he was a member of William Howard Taft's staff after the war (Taft was military governor), and I have found no connection to Anders in that field.

El Crab
Brigadier General

USA

Posted - January 18 2004 :  01:47:06 AM  Show Profile  Send El Crab an AOL message  Send El Crab a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
BJMarkland, its sometimes a good idea to type out a long, drawn-out and complicated post in Notepad, Word or whatever else is out there. I've had something like that happen before, and I was pissed as well. Now I make sure I have it in an alternate form, saved, when I try to post it...

I came. I saw. I took 300 pictures.

Wrangler
Lieutenant

Posted - January 18 2004 :  06:35:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wrangler
Given:

* Darling is correct in concluding that Benteen’s S2TL = 7 ¾ miles.
* Godfrey and Edgerly are incorrect in their distance estimates.
* Capt. Benteen’s horse walks @ 5-mph (Nichols, 432)
* Lt. Edgerly is correct in observing, ”Our march was a rapid one.” (Nichols, 441)
* Lt. Godfrey is correct in observing, “My company [K] was in the rear [of H Co. followed by D Co.] and I had quite often to give the command “trot” to keep up with the rest of the command.” (Nichols, 479)
Correction--

Given:

* Darling is correct in concluding that Benteen’s S2TL = 7.05 miles (to rejoin Custer's trail on Reno Creek)

BJMarkland
Colonel

USA

Posted - January 18 2004 :  09:25:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit BJMarkland's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sheesh Wrangler, you are at it early!

Wrangler posted a link yesterday, for which I thank him for nudging my memory, which is a veritable treasure trove of information. It is the Combined Arms Research Library web site. The link to the Resources page is below (from there, you can get anywhere.

http://www-cgsc.army.mil/carl/resources/

While there today, I scanned a lecture and a masters thesis (those are located under Digital Library). The thesis dealt with the 1876 campaign and is informative (I had never known that all of Crook's wounded at Rosebud suffered from gunshot wounds). The lecture by Capt. Sheldon in 1904 on the "Army on the March" has this interesting tidbit relevent to this thread (too much work to format it so I will just quote the pertinent portion):

The Army on the March
Capt. R. Sheldon
pg. 6

"The following has been. found to be the times
taken to perform a march of about fourteen miles;"

A regiment of cavalry or horse artillery under:
a) Good road under favorable conditions: 4 hrs.
b) On a bad road under favorable conditions: 6 hrs.
c) On a bad road under unfavorable conditions: 7 1/2 hours
d) Under very unfavorable conditions: 20 hours

"A train, etc. of a column"
a) 6 hrs. b) 10 hrs. c) 16 hrs. d) 20 hrs.

Pg 13 of the same lecture has this interesting paragraph:

"For cavalry the usual marching gait is the walk, For forces larger than a squadron the rate will be about three and three-fourth miles per hour, while marching. Allowing for halts this would be from
three and one-third to three and one-half miles per hour, for large forces. Ordinarily, the marching rate would be, after the first halt, about five milzs an hour, alternating the walk and the trot, and occasionally dismounting and leading for short distances. Level ground is utilized for the trot. The periods for trot alternating with the walk should not, as a rule, exceed ten or fifteen minutes in duration, too frequent changes of gait are also undesirable."

pg. 14

"For wagon trains the rate varies. While large mules drawing light loads, on good roads, ean do nearly four miles an hour, in long columns a rate of two miles per hour, including halts, is all that can be expeeted [sic] even under favorable eireumstances."

From MHI at Carlisle, Field Service Regulations 1905

http://www.carlisle.army.mil/cgi-bin/usamhi/DL/showdoc.pl?docnum=210

Pg. 129 para. 393 & 394

"393. The full allowance of forage is 14 pounds of hay and 12 pounds of grain for horses, and 14 pounds of hay and 9 pounds of grain for mules.

In campaign the resources of the country in forage must be utilized to the fullest extent possible. The nature of the country, the season of the year, and preceding operations of our own or the enemy’s forces may have been such that no forage remains available. In the course of operations it will generally be necessary to form depots of grain and compressed hay at railroad points easily accessible for the troops.

394. On the march oats is usually the only forage carried. The regimental train of the cavalry and artillery should carry a supply for two days. Additional supplies will be carried in the forage wagons of the supply columns, the amount depending upon local conditions.

In the cavalry a small reserve of oats-about 6 pounds-will be carried on each horse.

Draft animals should receive full forage as long aa possible."

Halleck's book at CARL states that "Oats weighs 35 lbs. per bushel."

Now we know something about Arnold!!

And now to save what I just typed!

Billy

Edited by - BJMarkland on January 18 2004 10:42:13 AM

matthew_ridgeway
Private

Posted - January 18 2004 :  1:21:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great post Bill.

Wrangler
Lieutenant

Posted - January 18 2004 :  2:06:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Billy,

Thank-you for the data points and your research efforts. Analysis of the data provided is most interesting.
quote:
Sheesh Wrangler, you are at it early!
Yes. I reckon I should get out more...

quote:
The lecture by Capt. Sheldon in 1904 on the "Army on the March" has this interesting tidbit relevent to this thread (too much work to format it so I will just quote the pertinent portion):

The Army on the March
Capt. R. Sheldon
pg. 6

"The following has been. found to be the times
taken to perform a march of about fourteen miles;"

A regiment of cavalry or horse artillery under:
a) Good road under favorable conditions: 4 hrs.
b) On a bad road under favorable conditions: 6 hrs.
c) On a bad road under unfavorable conditions: 7 1/2 hours
d) Under very unfavorable conditions: 20 hours

"A train, etc. of a column"
a) 6 hrs. b) 10 hrs. c) 16 hrs. d) 20 hrs.
I converted these stats into mph for march rate; these rates are shown in the left column below. To determine an approximate march speed, I then subtracted 10 minutes for halts per hour on the march, minus the last hour (so in a 4 hr march, 30 minutes are subtracted as non-marching time). The derived march speeds are shown in the right column below.

Cavalry
March___March
Rate____Speed
(mph)___(mph)

a. 3.5___4.0
b. 2.3___2.7
c. 1.9___2.2
d. 0.7___0.8

Trains
March___March
Rate____Speed
(mph)___(mph)

a. 2.3___2.7
b. 1.4___1.6
c. 0.9___1.0
d. 0.7___0.8

From the stats above, it is logical to debate road conditions as compared with those at the Battle of the Little Bighorn. However, regardless of the outcome of such a discussion, the proportions derived from the analysis above between the speed of cavalry and speed of the trains is instructive.

If we normalize the cavalry march speed to that of the Gray-Darling trains (3-mph), then the cavalry march speed used should be approximately 4.4–mph. If we normalize the trains march speed to that of Gray’s “standard cavalry” walking speed (3-mph), then the trains march speed should be approximately 2.3–mph. Proportionally speakin’ that is…

Again, thanks for the time and effort to provide this data.

v/r

Wrangler

pjsolla
Major

Posted - January 18 2004 :  2:06:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TO ALL: I have received an email from Greg Michno. He went to the site again to consider possibly participating in the forum. His words, not mine, "too many people on there appear to arguing for the sake of arguing. I don't want to have to get caught up in that". No comment from me. I asked him and that was his repsonse.

He will however, email with El Crab. Trouble is El Crabs email address is "not working". So, if El Crab reads this, perhaps he can advise me of a working email address.

Greg felt a lot of good material was on the site, but he felt very strongly about the "people arguing for the sake of arguing". I know he is involved in his new works on the Sand Creek Massacre and is busy with other projects. I guess time is precious and he feels the forum will just be one endless argument.

I can be reached at pjsolla@yahoo.com I don't want to clutter up the AAO site with personal matter. It's not the place for it.

Regards, PJS

Anonymous Poster8169
Brigadier General

Posted - January 18 2004 :  2:12:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wrangler
You suggested, “I have to remind you guys that our limits on plausibility are not old textbooks or what have you, but what is left in the historical accounts themselves.” I provided you a reminder of what the historical accounts say, and I do understand that the validity of old textbooks must be confirmed or denied based on what is actually seen on the ground and in the testimony.

And I just reminded you that there are other historical accounts out there that would have to be considered, not just a raw estimate of total distance which even Godfrey (one of your citations) admitted to be "impossible" to really make. Memories of where they went, who they met, etc., which combined, would seem to make it unlikely Benteen traveled more than about 8 miles. Even you (down below) appear to think the *total* evidence shows that Edgerly and Godfrey overestimated the distance. I think the problem here is that when I said "the historical accounts," I didn't mean just "some historical accounts." No account can be considered in isolation; it has to be interpreted in light of other known evidence.

quote:

In your post, you present an interesting scenario to be explored with regards to an off-scout distance of 15 miles. I look forward to your assessment of it. However, until then, I believe Darling is correct in describing the off-trail scout path and distance for Benteen's Battalion. Until someone can walk the ground, fly the plane over the area, and screen the testimony as he did--and provide a better explanation, I'll stick with Darling.

I gave my assessment in my last post, when I agreed with Darling and Gray's evaluation.

quote:

However, I disagree with his using an unsubstantiated 3-mph as the speed for the trains. Especially given his analysis:

”The rate-of-march takes into account the actual terrain traversed as well as the facts known about the battalion's pace at the time. We know, for example, that Benteen was ordered to "ride rapidly," and the scout participants tell us a trot was maintained most of the time. This would have Benteen moving along faster than the regulation walk of four miles per hour. But not in this terrain, under the orders Benteen received from Custer. An adjustment is therefore made which places Benteen's rate at something faster than the pack train walk (3 miles per hour), but slower than the cavalry walk. The figure used is 3.4 miles per hour." (Darling, Benteen's Scout-to-the-Left, 12)

This explanation is not sufficient for me. Where did his 3-mph for the trains come from? If in anyone's mind the trains traveled faster or slower, than each interconnection and associated time has a high potential to change. Evidence previously excluded now has to be reconsidered and reconciled. If you believe the trains moved slower, you would find sympathy in Godfrey’s “…or 30 minutes” testimony about the length of the halt at the morass. If you believe the trains moved faster, you would find sympathy with Benteen’s “not 15 minutes” testimony. If you believe Gray and Darling’s 3-mph for the trains, you would find sympathy in Godfrey’s “20…minutes” and getting some additional speed out of Benteen and the boys to compensate for the location of the trains at the end of the column at the divide halt (and the time it takes for them to get to the 12:12 start point).

Which I guess means you're conceding that Gray's itinerary is perfectly plausible, based on the evidence we have from the battle. But what's your itinerary? How do you think all those interconnections go together? It could be even more plausible. I'm just wondering how much you *really* disagree with Gray, and I'd like to see it measured in minutes.

R. Larsen

Anonymous Poster8169
Brigadier General

Posted - January 18 2004 :  2:23:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

No apologies necessary. Your frustration is shared by many. None of this used to happen, but since the board started forcing people to log in in order to make a post, I myself have lost several posts due to neglecting to sign in. Yeah, it's my fault, but it's also because of an unnecessary rule, which for some reason doesn't appear to apply on the Alamo board: I have seen several people post anonymously there since the change. I guess we're the blessed ones.

R. Larsen

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: SOMS:  VHS v. LaserDisc Topic Next Topic: Cemetery Ravine v. Deep Ravine  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

Custom Search

Against All Odds Message Board © 1998-2010 Rich Federici/Mohican Press Go To Top Of Page
This page was raised in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03